Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Star Guarded
Feb 10, 2008

Captain Morose posted:

Yeah, I think it's mostly generational. Whatever you got for christmas when you were like six years old.
Yup. Late 80s, so I caught TMNT, X-Men, Batman TAS, and Power Rangers. Technically I was a little late for TMNT, but the Playmates figures were a staple of yard sales and the movies stretched things out. In the late nineties, Pokemon and wrestling replaced pretty much all of my other interests.

Absolutely my favorite cartoon & toys were Mighty Max, tho. Kind of surprised there's never been an attempt at a revival.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Havoc904
Jul 29, 2006

A school festival is a festival that takes place at our school!

Captain Morose posted:

Yeah, I think it's mostly generational. Whatever you got for christmas when you were like six years old.

I'm an 85 kid as well, but I wanted to add my experience. My dad got me super into Thundercats from my first memories, then kept on promising me for my 4th birthday, I would finally be old enough to get Thundercats figures. I built this up for what felt like ages. My 4th birthday arrives and I open my presents to find the first wave of TMNT with the blimp (which I had no idea what they were). I was later told that when they went to the toystore, the Thundercats toys weren't in stock anymore so they decided to go with that. While I grew to love TMNT, I always wanted those Thundercat toys.

Then, finally, Mattel announces the Thundercats Classics line. My older brother was a huge MOTU fan, so I saw him amass all the Classics and it was finally my time. Mattel quickly announces a few months later that they aren't carrying the Classics anymore. I have the first wave of Thundercats and it felt like such a drat tease. Finally, Super7 gets the license.

This was a very long round-about to say I have been waiting 30 years for this line. Hopefully they reveal the 4th wave in the next week or two.

Shiftypenguin
Mar 15, 2005

Antique Roadshow

Louisgod posted:

It's funny how certain kids got into specific shows/toys while others didn't, but I was born in '84 so maybe it's a generational thing. I never liked GI Joes, MOTU, Voltron, but loved X-Men, TMNT and Ghostbusters, so I'm thankful when I see the MOTU and GI Joe stuff it does nothing for me.

That said, I was at Target today with my kids and saw a Snake Eyes on the shelf and bought it to support the line and because he looks cool. Also the forever goofy looking distorted bodies of the MOTU toys will never not look dumb to me yet that 7" He-Man is something I'll probably pick up too. This god drat virus has made me buy things just to have something to do at home.

Same. Born in 84 and loved X-Men, transformers and TMNT, but wasn't into He-man and GI Joe. BUT, I've gained appreciation for those lines. Not like an all-in love them now kind of thing, but I do plan on getting one or two of the characters (Scare Glow).

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Man I am still pissed off about owning Ram Man. I got him for a birthday present, and like... holy poo poo the only thing with less articulation would have been maybe a rock.

I still have my Ram Man in a container of stuff that didn't sell at our last yard sale in 1989 along with some Visionaries and the M.A.S.K. toll booth. Kids love toll booths!

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Shiftypenguin posted:

Same. Born in 84 and loved X-Men, transformers and TMNT, but wasn't into He-man and GI Joe. BUT, I've gained appreciation for those lines. Not like an all-in love them now kind of thing, but I do plan on getting one or two of the characters (Scare Glow).

Think I'm an oddity as I never got into Transformers either. Probably for the best considering all the money I've saved.

edit:

also general reminder that the NECA Super Shredder goes up for pre-order on thenecastore.com at 10 am pacific today. Brickseek link should show inventory once it's in stores too:

https://brickseek.com/walmart-inventory-checker/?sku=269034699

Louisgod fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Aug 10, 2020

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Louisgod posted:

Think I'm an oddity as I never got into Transformers either. Probably for the best considering all the money I've saved.

edit:

also general reminder that the NECA Super Shredder goes up for pre-order on thenecastore.com at 10 am pacific today. Brickseek link should show inventory once it's in stores too:

Did you see the link to the figure stands?

https://www.canofbeams.com

Grant DaNasty
Jul 17, 2006

Man I am still pissed off about owning Ram Man. I got him for a birthday present, and like... holy poo poo the only thing with less articulation would have been maybe a rock.

Ram Man was my mom's favorite of my toys. She really got a kick out of a short fat guy that rammed stuff with his head.

Star Guarded posted:

Absolutely my favorite cartoon & toys were Mighty Max, tho. Kind of surprised there's never been an attempt at a revival.

Mighty Max was a very underrated cartoon. I would watch that in the mornings with my little brother while we waited to go to school. It's not on streaming anywhere, and it was never released on DVD. I recently found this YouTube channel where a guy is working on restoring the old episodes from home VHS copies and UK VHS commercial releases. Unfortunately it hasn't been updated in a year, so I hope he hasn't abandoned the project.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeLNxwZwAlMslfAuZR96aZg/videos

Star Guarded
Feb 10, 2008

Grant DaNasty posted:

Mighty Max was a very underrated cartoon. I would watch that in the mornings with my little brother while we waited to go to school. It's not on streaming anywhere, and it was never released on DVD. I recently found this YouTube channel where a guy is working on restoring the old episodes from home VHS copies and UK VHS commercial releases. Unfortunately it hasn't been updated in a year, so I hope he hasn't abandoned the project.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeLNxwZwAlMslfAuZR96aZg/videos
Man, that'd be cool to check out. The thing I remember most about the show is the time I caught the absolutely hosed up ending. The most memorable thing about it, besides how dark it was, was that it was the first time I realized a show could 'end.' Because back then I only watched episodic series out of order, everything aired repeats or at weird times and the only television block I remember talking about "seasons" and "finales" was the Saturday Nick stuff (Are You Afraid of the Dark, etc). So it was really surreal watching what felt like another episode at first and then main characters started kicking the bucket.

I'm not even sure what company could pull off the "playset with miniatures" thing now. I guess Super7. Given how tiny most of the playets were, they were very detailed and imaginative. My sister had a few Polly Pockets but didn't like them, so I'd play with those, too, and do crossovers all the time.

Obviously the downside to the series was that I lost the miniatures all the time. I remember my mom forbade me from carrying them with me to the grocery store because I'd always drop them and they'd be impossible to find. Imagine just trying to buy groceries and your kid is upset because they lost something the size of a nickel somewhere in the store.

Star Guarded fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Aug 10, 2020

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Nanigans posted:

Did you see the link to the figure stands?

https://www.canofbeams.com

Oh drat I didn't, thank you! Absolutely going to pre-order those when they're up.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

I loved "small" toys when I was a kid, because it was easier to play with them around the house and use furniture as huge set pieces. All of that is to say I was very into Mighty Max. I loved the sets, and the Christmas where I got Skull Mountain was a game changer for my miniature adventures. One of the sets had Norman painted with golden pauldrons instead of the normal silver, which I would use as an "upgraded" version of his armor. I wish the cartoon had been properly archived somewhere, because like others are saying it was fantastic and really uniquely dark for the time.

Tesh
Jun 30, 2002

If humans were cookies, I'd be the cookie monster.

Mattel is killing it with the MOTU Origins line. I'm happy the Walmart exclusivity period ends at the new year. That Landshark is a must own.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I was never really into anything as a kid besides gi Joe, and even then it was more of a "had to be cool be looking" role. I'm glad I missed on the Sideshow joes cause holy gently caress that would have meant bankruptcy. Still pissed I missed out on cobra commander with the faceplate, but I'll live. Loved that squished earth hand he came with though.

I think I'm safe unless they reissue C.O.P.S. or Bravestarr. Massive articulation or glowing rocks/western theme and I'm hosed.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Super Shredder went up on NECA's online store. I can't believe I just gave them $23 in shipping for a $30 figure, but here we are. If I can just find a movie Casey, I can never think about NECA again.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

They don’t do this stuff for us Alien/Predator/Horror collectors like

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Tesh posted:

Mattel is killing it with the MOTU Origins line. I'm happy the Walmart exclusivity period ends at the new year. That Landshark is a must own.

Lotta chatter that we'll see Greyskull at NYTF and I am hype. I just need them to remake the entire vintage line and as many vehicles as possible. I bought a lot of broken Eternia monorail tracks earlier, I'm gonna start picking up busted parts and frankenstein it together.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Agrias120 posted:

Super Shredder went up on NECA's online store. I can't believe I just gave them $23 in shipping for a $30 figure, but here we are. If I can just find a movie Casey, I can never think about NECA again.

I've been checking the Wal-Mart near me that I know carries when when they're in stock and nothing yet.

I managed to also get a Shredder but had to flip over to my iPad as I and many others couldn't get the checkout button to work through Chrome on PCs. I also like and appreciate NECA is texting people a code you need to type to complete checkout.. it's a great way to weed out bots. Also looks like NECA's putting Shredder back up in waves, likely to throw off scalpers. Supposedly he's supposed to show in stores either this or next week, so check the inventory tracker to avoid paying NECA's shipping costs:

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

I was never really into anything as a kid besides gi Joe, and even then it was more of a "had to be cool be looking" role. I'm glad I missed on the Sideshow joes cause holy gently caress that would have meant bankruptcy. Still pissed I missed out on cobra commander with the faceplate, but I'll live. Loved that squished earth hand he came with though.

I think I'm safe unless they reissue C.O.P.S. or Bravestarr. Massive articulation or glowing rocks/western theme and I'm hosed.

Don't forget Cowboys of Moo Mesa!

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

Star Guarded posted:

Yup. Late 80s, so I caught TMNT, X-Men, Batman TAS, and Power Rangers. Technically I was a little late for TMNT, but the Playmates figures were a staple of yard sales and the movies stretched things out. In the late nineties, Pokemon and wrestling replaced pretty much all of my other interests.

‘82 here so :corsair: definitely BTAS, TMNT, and X-Men, but collecting wise it’s been all over the map. Getting TMNT and Gi Joe’s of late since as a kid my parents thought they were “too violent.” Annoyed I missed out on that Super-Shredder.

On a positive note related to icons of the 1980’s, this arrived today:

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

https://twitter.com/HardDriveMag/status/1292928715102531584?s=20

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
I could never get into Gi Joe as a kid. The figures were just so small compared to everything else. I remember being so disappointed when they came out with Mortal Kombat and Street Fighter figures and they we just Joe figures.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
GI Joe was all about the vehicles. Also the ability to have large armies of figures.

It is a concept that has mostly been lost now since even small figures are expensive so it is hard to have a large collection of figures.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

JT Smiley posted:

I could never get into Gi Joe as a kid. The figures were just so small compared to everything else. I remember being so disappointed when they came out with Mortal Kombat and Street Fighter figures and they we just Joe figures.

My brothers and I bought those MK and SF figures and subsequently blew them up with M80s and turned then colors with smoke bombs. Those figures were such disappointments.

Bushifox
Dec 10, 2003

Je suis une tappette pour les jouets cheap et casse. Je suis dieu des nulles!
I'm having a hard time liking the MOTU origins stuff. I felt like classics knocked it out of the park, and these just seem like a regression to me.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Djarum posted:

GI Joe was all about the vehicles. Also the ability to have large armies of figures.

It is a concept that has mostly been lost now since even small figures are expensive so it is hard to have a large collection of figures.

And there was something cool about how the figures were so.. over-equipped, I guess. He-Man had a sword. Roadblock had a Ma-Deuce heavy machine gun with tripod, ammo belt and backpack.

CaptainN
Jul 28, 2004

All the new MOTU stuff is great.....apart from that godawful head sculpt for He-Man.
No idea why they couldn't just use the O.G version.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Anyone have any luck with the Target GI Joes? :smithicide:

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Dawgstar posted:

And there was something cool about how the figures were so.. over-equipped, I guess. He-Man had a sword. Roadblock had a Ma-Deuce heavy machine gun with tripod, ammo belt and backpack.

Well you could swap guns and whatnot from figure to figure too. It was a great line, with figures being $2.99 for most of it's peak it was incredibly affordable for parents to pick one or two up for a kid. Much like the TMNT line a few years later, which was $3.99 for much of it's run.

There really is nothing like any of those vintage lines anymore. You have the collector focused lines which are $20+ a pop which for most parents is far too high. The 2012 TMNT series is probably as close as we have had in a long time as they were under :10bux: and sold incredibly well to both the collectors and kids for that reason.

I think there is a place for higher end stuff for collectors at a higher price point but I feel a big reason why kids have zero interest in toys now a days is that they are too expensive and not interesting to them. You get sub :10bux: lines with interesting play features, not like action features but the weapons and accessories for GI Joe for example, and vehicles/playsets and they would be a hit. Hell I am amazed they didn't go that route with the Fortnite figures for example.

Grant DaNasty
Jul 17, 2006

CaptainN posted:

All the new MOTU stuff is great.....apart from that godawful head sculpt for He-Man.
No idea why they couldn't just use the O.G version.

Looks like the Battle Armor He-Man is coming with an alternate OG He-Man head.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Fuzz posted:

Anyone have any luck with the Target GI Joes? :smithicide:

Which ones? Been checking the Baroness brickseek links for folks and it still shows not in stock.

Captain Morose
Jun 20, 2005

Djarum posted:

You get sub :10bux: lines with interesting play features, not like action features but the weapons and accessories for GI Joe for example, and vehicles/playsets and they would be a hit. Hell I am amazed they didn't go that route with the Fortnite figures for example.

The 3.75" Jazwares Fortnite figures are exactly this. Joe style figures with vehicles, loot crates with weapons and backpacks that are all interchangeable. It's a really great line actually, and retail is only like $10 per figure. I started collecting them when my gf and I got back into fortnite during the pandemic. They're super cool.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Captain Morose posted:

The 3.75" Jazwares Fortnite figures are exactly this. Joe style figures with vehicles, loot crates with weapons and backpacks that are all interchangeable. It's a really great line actually, and retail is only like $10 per figure. I started collecting them when my gf and I got back into fortnite during the pandemic. They're super cool.

I did not know! Only Fortnite stuff I have seen has been the larger, more expensive ones from Jazwares and Todd. That sounds exactly like what I would have expected though.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

https://twitter.com/asher_elbein/status/1292954315770994697?s=20

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
That's why I'm waffling on buying the new 12" Superman figure. On one hand, gently caress it's kinda expensive but comes with a starro and a city of kandor, on the other hand... I dunno if any more are coming out ever.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Yeah, DC Direct is gone

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
I hope the drat art deco Batman I preordered from BBTS is still coming out this month.

But yeah, obviously all of the poor people laid off is more important than my toy. :-/

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Davros1 posted:

Yeah, DC Direct is gone

I don't meant this facetiously, but what was DC Direct responsible for putting out?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

S.W.O.R.D. Agent posted:

I don't meant this facetiously, but what was DC Direct responsible for putting out?

https://www.dccomics.com/collectibles?all=1#browse

Figures and 1/6 scale statues. They do stuff for current-ish storylines, while the mass market lines tend to focus on 4 Batman figures and a Superman.

All the DC statues you see at a comic book store or Gamestop or something are them too.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Louisgod posted:

Which ones? Been checking the Baroness brickseek links for folks and it still shows not in stock.

All of them. Beachhead, Trooper, Roadblock, and Baroness.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Aphrodite posted:

https://www.dccomics.com/collectibles?all=1#browse

Figures and 1/6 scale statues. They do stuff for current-ish storylines, while the mass market lines tend to focus on 4 Batman figures and a Superman.

All the DC statues you see at a comic book store or Gamestop or something are them too.

Not ALL DC statues are from DC Collectibles. They license out to a lot of other companies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

McFarlane picking up the DC license and then putting like White Knight figures into Target basically made DC Collectibles redundant, unless you really need another Harley Quinn statue that shipped broken