Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

And a second BoredGamer vid just came out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVNRfcFuywQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
ToW five years from now...

https://clips.twitch.tv/BombasticTriangularCookieMingLee

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

Bronze Fonz posted:

Betteridge's law of headlines is an adage that states: "Any headline that ends in a question mark can be answered by the word no."

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Dwesa posted:

Betteridge's law of headlines is an adage that states: "Any headline that ends in a question mark can be answered by the word no."

Particularly when the headline has one of the most popular spelling errors of all time.

Baxta
Feb 18, 2004

Needs More Pirate

Bronze Fonz posted:

Hahaha thats amazing

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

Nyast posted:

And imo, the one thing CIG has already proven with all their commercial videos for ingame ships, is that they are very good at telling short stories and creating cinematic cutscenes with their game engine/assets.
Those are made by Turbulent. :v:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Bronze Fonz posted:

"do you think this is going to be fixed in a timely fashion?" lol

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

Bronze Fonz posted:

I said come in! posted:

"do you think this is going to be fixed in a timely fashion?" lol

:smith: They'll get there, I think. I mean, they have made some improvements. NPCs, I have noticed, only stand on chairs now instead of standing on them and T-posing as well.

:lol:

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Quavers posted:

:smith: They'll get there, I think. I mean, they have made some improvements. NPCs, I have noticed, only stand on chairs now instead of standing on them and T-posing as well.

Baby steps, people. It's early days still.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Inspector Gesicht posted:

At what point did this stop being a space-game with missions, and start turning into a Shenmue-esque life-sim that's bogged down with irrelevant details?

This change appears to have happened around 2-3 years ago-ish.

This seems to stem from the developers who used to work there no longer working there, such as the guy who wrote the complex ship thruster logic.

The skill to make the complex space game CR wanted is no longer present. So these days they can shoe horn in a new ship, or tweak some settings, but large scale stuff seems well beyond their capabilities. Things like docking ships together will likely never happen unless they attract some talent with more experience than full sail or high school.

So what you are left with is all of the FPS stuff, and connecting lots of animation to some events like the bartender piece. All of these things have been done before by other developers, and there's probably good tutorials out there for how to integrate this stuff into your crytech game level.

So expect to see many more /dance emotes connected to some great new life meter, and various FPS stuff like new guns or whatever. And of course your land car stuff because the crysis Jeep.

Good luck with seeing space become awesome.

The Titanic fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Aug 10, 2020

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Dwesa posted:

I like those hot dogs and that hot dog kiosk, it all looks completely uneappealing and uninspired just like the whole game. And then I can compare it with FFXV's food and I can see how much of a failure SC is even in the field of virtual food. And FFXV was released in 2016.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6HKyKdSqMU

Realize that when this game came out, CR shortly responded with stuff like dynamic eggs and such, because heaven forbid he be outdone by some other video game.

This was during a time where no game was allowed to be better than SC in any way, shape, or form, and only maybe Rockstar was a competitor with how great they were.

Not long after though, CR went quiet, the promises ended, and now you have this slow trickle of crappy updates that don't even have the charm of impossible promises thrown into the mix.

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

Someone post the elderly Chris "we are almost there" picture

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Popete posted:

If you were to try and sell someone on SQ42 what would you even show them at this point? It's been in development for 8 years and there is still no trailer of what the game play might actually be like besides some vertical slice from like 2016 which we now know to have been completely fabricated.

I guess there was that asset slide show from last December.

You show them that 5 year old render of Mark Hamill and tell them dreams.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

Spatial posted:

Someone post the elderly Chris "we are almost there" picture

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

monkeytek posted:

Yup 16 year dev cycle, this is why you have publishers. They are the bad guys that won't let the "creative" types and the developers turn a game into a never ending circle jerk of "what if's" and "wouldn't it be greats"

I like how there are so many professional developers out there who seem to have no idea what a timeline is, and how your company is supposed to meet goals and milestones and generally meet the expectations you've promised (and I know some of you out there are saying "already sold you mean!!! gently caress you!" :) ).

If anybody claims to be a developer and indicates a 8+ year long development timeline and a $300M+ budget is normal, and the product you are looking at is not literally the most rock solid, fun to the point of delirium, best piece of coding you have ever laid your eyes on... you're being lied to. :)

They might actually be a developer. Like maybe a student, or a hobbyist... but they have never worked in a successful environment and done it correctly.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

That new Cyberpunk video though... Crobblers must be having a seizure right about now...

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Well you see, the took a vote, and all* the backers wanted it

*the tiny amount of backers that actually saw and voted in the poll

I don't like seeing this because as far as I'm aware, there hasn't been s single point in the history of the game where player needs and wants have driven development.

To claim the "one thing" that wrecked everything was because players did a vote is ridiculous.

Players can't even get literal game-breaking bugs prioritized to be fixed.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Quavers posted:

I'm tied of hearing this dude.

T-posing NPC stand on chairs IS NOT A BUG!

It's a feature. It's the patriotic way citizens of the UEE pay tribute to Jesus dying on the cross.

Since there is yet to be any churches put into the game, the super 'Chris Roberts' level subsumption AI (as seen in the best bartender ever in computing software!), devised this as a way to offer their praise to the Lord.

They do this mostly out of fear of being raptured into non existence like every other creature in the Star Citizen universe. (Except turtles, penguins and space hello kitties)

Greenplastic
Oct 24, 2005

Miao, miao!

MedicineHut posted:

That new Cyberpunk video though... Crobblers must be having a seizure right about now...

The one with Refused making music for the game? Uhh, have you even HEARD Full Burn??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vr-I8XIAj8I

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

The Titanic posted:

This change appears to have happened around 2-3 years ago-ish.

This seems to stem from the developers who used to work there no longer working there, such as the guy who wrote the complex ship thruster logic.

The skill to make the complex space game CR wanted is no longer present. So these days they can shoe horn in a new ship, or tweak some settings, but large scale stuff seems well beyond their capabilities. Things like docking ships together will likely never happen unless they attract some talent with more experience than full sail or high school.

So what you are left with is all of the FPS stuff, and connecting lots of animation to some events like the bartender piece. All of these things have been done before by other developers, and there's probably good tutorials out there for how to integrate this stuff into your crytech game level.

So expect to see many more /dance emotes connected to some great new life meter, and various FPS stuff like new guns or whatever. And of course your land car stuff because the crysis Jeep.

Good luck with seeing space become awesome.

The day they started selling land claims was the day you knew this was no longer really a 'space game'.

Or did I miss the part in Star Wars where Yoda starts to teach Like about using the ways of the force to claim land on planets around the solar system.

Cos I kind of thought a big part of Chris Roberts Kickstarter plan scam was based on him wanting to be in Star Wars?

Kosumo fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Aug 10, 2020

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
Would you look at these emergent variables

CORPSE SEARCH MISSION SPAWNED BODIES WITHOUT CLOTHING

quote:

ACTUAL RESULT

Crew are not wearing suits and there is a mismatch between face and body texture

CREW MISSING MISSION., THE CREW IS ALIVE AND SHOOTING

quote:

EXPECTED RESULT

Crew to be dead and able to be searched to complete the mission

Megalobster
Aug 31, 2018

Greenplastic posted:

The one with Refused making music for the game? Uhh, have you even HEARD Full Burn??

Here's a way better version:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qF9elfrrF4M

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

MedicineHut posted:

What was the tl;dr of the video? I have not had a chance to watch it.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

May the Parp be with you 07

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
with one moon in the sky
and three planets nearby
that's a'roadmap

with no ending in sight
and the whole thing is shite
to a'roadmap

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

peter gabriel posted:

with one moon in the sky
and three planets nearby
that's a'roadmap

with no ending in sight
and the whole thing is shite
to a'roadmap

lol :golfclap:

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
So on the off chance that Squadron 42 is released and comes to consoles would anyone here pick it up? I mean I do like some of the actors in it and I have more Microsoft points than I know what to do with so it's not like it would cost me anything.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Lammasu posted:

So on the off chance that Squadron 42 is released and comes to consoles would anyone here pick it up? I mean I do like some of the actors in it and I have more Microsoft points than I know what to do with so it's not like it would cost me anything.

Yes, i've said from the start that if this poo poo show ever reaches version 1.0, I will absolutely buy it. If CIG can deliver on their original promises from 2012, this will absolutely be my dream story driven space shooter. At this point I feel 100% confident in saying that will not happen.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I said come in! posted:

Yes, i've said from the start that if this poo poo show ever reaches version 1.0, I will absolutely buy it. If CIG can deliver on their original promises from 2012, this will absolutely be my dream story driven space shooter. At this point I feel 100% confident in saying that will not happen.

Oh boy you’re in for a treat, they hit 1.0 like 6 years ago! You’re 2 full version numbers behind already, you better get playing.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I already own it on PC, you see it is a PC game only

It's not going to be on console sadly, this was the first promise Chris ever made in his pitch video, he said he is saving PC gaming, and you can trust his words.
No console release I am afraid, it would go against everything the projects stands for and it stands for a lot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhsgiliheP0

There is absolutely no way Chris would even entertain the idea of breaking a promise or going back on his word.
The man is straight as they come, a real pillar of the gaming world, his resolve is unshakeable, and even in the face of extreme adversity and thew laws of physics he says NO to investors and NO to consoles.
o8

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Greenplastic posted:

I wish this were a real citizen comment I was replying to but I'll still smugpost the clip :smug:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtSGO0zfrBY&t=648s

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

peter gabriel posted:

I already own it on PC, you see it is a PC game only

It's not going to be on console sadly, this was the first promise Chris ever made in his pitch video, he said he is saving PC gaming, and you can trust his words.
No console release I am afraid, it would go against everything the projects stands for and it stands for a lot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhsgiliheP0

There is absolutely no way Chris would even entertain the idea of breaking a promise or going back on his word.
The man is straight as they come, a real pillar of the gaming world, his resolve is unshakeable, and even in the face of extreme adversity and thew laws of physics he says NO to investors and NO to consoles.
o8

It's funny to think that when he said this the PlayStation 3, and Xbox 360 were still the current gen consoles. Now we have another generation of consoles launching this fall and Star Citizen is still in pre-alpha.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

I said come in! posted:

It's funny to think that when he said this the PlayStation 3, and Xbox 360 were still the current gen consoles. Now we have another generation of consoles launching this fall and Star Citizen is still in pre-alpha.

He also said it while using an xbox controller to pretend to play a PC game that didn't, doesn't and never will exist as he promised it :v:

I cannot over state thought that this is a PC only game and any console release would be a bitchslap to the chops of all backers the likes of which we haven't seen since the rumble in the jungle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhsgiliheP0&t=564s

To release on console would be a nuclear scale wedgie to all the smug nerds that threw cash at this for a decade, and that simply will not fly with Chris, he has too much respect for them to do that.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo
I am sorry. But this popped into my head at work.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

loving :lol:

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

:five:

Dooguk
Oct 11, 2016

Pillbug
Spectrum poster with a sense of humour...

quote:

HUGE surprise from CIG confirmed?!!???

Based on the fact that since april 29, 2020 and the rest of the year we will have a total of 1 hour of content it must mean something great is coming! Pyro confimred?!?! They have been teasing us with amazing progress so far.

I mean, 3.10 added a MASSIVE amount of content in the form of a few stores and hangars at grimhex. In 4 months this is amazing progress. I literally spent minutes checking everything out!

3.11 holds a whopping shitload of content like cargo decks and new elevator panels (FINALY). Mercury is quite hype though!

3.12 is the cherry on the top, adding refinary decks! But they also really stretched it here going as far as adding object push and pull!

The 7 months since 3.9 are so full of progress and content that I just cant wait for it all.

I am happy they decided to prioritize all this over tier 0 salvage, tier 0 info running, tier 0 exploration, tier 0 passenger transport, tier 0 repair, tier 0 refueLing and gas gathering etc. They know nobody really cares about this anyway so it was nice. Like, why spend 100 hours trying to get another tier 0 profession out when you can spend 4 months making a couple hangars at grim hex and a few plusie stores! !

a few posts later...

Spectrum Mod ...

quote:

Hello,

This thread and discussion could have gone better in offering a more healthy and helpful form of feedback. As this has not been the case, It's time to bring this thread to a conclusion.

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001

The Titanic posted:

I like how there are so many professional developers out there who seem to have no idea what a timeline is, and how your company is supposed to meet goals and milestones and generally meet the expectations you've promised (and I know some of you out there are saying "already sold you mean!!! gently caress you!" :) ).

If anybody claims to be a developer and indicates a 8+ year long development timeline and a $300M+ budget is normal, and the product you are looking at is not literally the most rock solid, fun to the point of delirium, best piece of coding you have ever laid your eyes on... you're being lied to. :)

They might actually be a developer. Like maybe a student, or a hobbyist... but they have never worked in a successful environment and done it correctly.

The 8 year dev cycle is also really bad because console generations last around 7 years. Releasing in the last year of a console generation can be great, like The Last of US becoming PS3's swansong but releasing a year after a generation launch would be disastrous. No one right now is planning for a game to come out in 8 years and risking a 'last gen' release against PS6's and Xbox 5's launch plus one year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

The Titanic posted:

:allears:

I'm not sure I really remember a game that was so terrible, but cutscenes saved it and made it a critical success somehow.

IMO there was a brief window of games like that, back when true "cinematic cutscenes" were new. Games like The Seventh Guest were pretty bland puzzle games with the FMV cutscenes being the real draw... at least that was the impression I got.