Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

The only good race pace is suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die
I was more interested in the phrase "pot plant". I suspect that means different things in different parts of the world, but my brother had several of those in the basement where I grew up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Andy Dufresne posted:

I was more interested in the phrase "pot plant". I suspect that means different things in different parts of the world, but my brother had several of those in the basement where I grew up.

Since his bio is "I have been writing about transport for 30 years" I'm sensing some bloody limey innit

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Andy Dufresne posted:

One of my colleagues is from Australia and we had a good laugh when he casually mentioned taking care of his pot plants at home one day.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Is anyone still looking into updating the OP? I could write up something quick and dirty if that's alright.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

I love bicycle press

wowza

you could probably make something which is basically the same for $1500. it wont be able to stand up but whatever.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

hemale in pain posted:

you could probably make something which is basically the same for $1500. it wont be able to stand up but whatever.

Nah I don't think you could

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Is anyone still looking into updating the OP? I could write up something quick and dirty if that's alright.

What exactly are you wanting to have added?

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry
There isn't nearly enough talk of Everesting, for starters. If you are worried that it won't pertain to newbies maybe usher them towards vEveresting, which isn't real and doesn't count.

Good Dog fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Aug 10, 2020

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
It's generally out of date. It doesn't include any mention of gravel/e-bikes which are like, the two hottest bike categories right now, for instance. The Hybrid writeup is stupid (fixing a hybrid is "more trouble than it's worth???")

There's just a bunch of other issues that personally stand out to me as potentially iffy (people who don't know anything about bikes should absolutely not go to ebay or craigslist to buy a first bike, for instance), and I think a rewrite might be the best way to fix it, rather than adding or adjusting every bit.

AriTheDog
Jul 29, 2003
Famously tasty.

hemale in pain posted:

Rohloff gets you near $1500 to begin with. Bafaang mid drive and battery is like a thousand alone. Never mind any of the other components.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

AriTheDog posted:

Rohloff gets you near $1500 to begin with. Bafaang mid drive and battery is like a thousand alone. Never mind any of the other components.

My bafang mid drive cost me £400 and then £300 for a big 52v 17ah battery. I stuck it on my mountain bike but my dream is to put it on one of these.

30-40mph on a cargo bike. hell yeah.

e: and it cost like £1k! could do it for a bit less if you were okay with just a hub motor.

hemale in pain fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Aug 11, 2020

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Feels Villeneuve posted:

It's generally out of date. It doesn't include any mention of gravel/e-bikes which are like, the two hottest bike categories right now, for instance. The Hybrid writeup is stupid (fixing a hybrid is "more trouble than it's worth???")

There's just a bunch of other issues that personally stand out to me as potentially iffy (people who don't know anything about bikes should absolutely not go to ebay or craigslist to buy a first bike, for instance), and I think a rewrite might be the best way to fix it, rather than adding or adjusting every bit.

Added gravel and ebike sections

You’re right fixing a hybrid is worth it because the best way to fix a hybrid is by throwing it in the trash and getting a gravel bike

New riders should absolutely go to craigslist or ebay with the help of posters in this very thread

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009

e.pilot posted:

You’re right fixing a hybrid is worth it because the best way to fix a hybrid is by throwing it in the trash and getting a gravel bike

Nah, this is some elitist bullshit that keeps people off bikes, and even gets people to stop riding. Not everyone can afford to just throw stuff away when it breaks and go buy another one. Even if it's "not worth it" in terms of the overall resale value of the bike, it's absolutely worth it in the value it adds to a person's life if spending $50 or $100 on fixing a $200 bike keeps someone riding, instead of not being able to afford $500+ for a different bike taking them off the road.

Killswitch
Feb 25, 2009
:edi:

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Nah, hybrids suck, but fitness bikes are great.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

TobinHatesYou posted:

Nah, hybrids suck, but fitness bikes are great.

What’s the distinction? If I saw a rigid flat bar bike with smaller than 2” tires and forward geometry I’d call it a hybrid.

City bike would be fully upright, cruiser is relaxed geo.

FredLordofCheese
Aug 16, 2005

Hey there, here's your pizza, may I ask why you are wearing that sheer robe?
:frogsiren:Bearpope Store is Open! :frogsiren:

Check the thread for ordering info!
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3885509&pagenumber=14#post507178426

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Twerk from Home posted:

What’s the distinction?

Bet you don't know how to use the three sea shells either.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

Twerk from Home posted:

What’s the distinction? If I saw a rigid flat bar bike with smaller than 2” tires and forward geometry I’d call it a hybrid.

They're talking bikes with 700*40ish tires and suspension forks like the Giant Roam series which yes suck compared to modern air forks you'd find on the MTB you take to Whistler but are fine for someone that wants basically an entry level light duty bike and would prefer some squish to their ride at the cost of some extra weight.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

EvilJoven posted:

fine for someone that wants basically an entry level light duty bike and would prefer some squish to their ride at the cost of some extra weight.

counterpoint a 650b gravel bike with some plush 47+ slicks will be 100% better than this

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

e.pilot posted:

counterpoint a 650b gravel bike with some plush 47+ slicks will be 100% better than this

if only you had a bike that would fit 650b wheels and 47c tires

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Oh it totally would be but at the same time good luck trying to convince someone who doesn't want to drop gravel bike money to pick one over a bike that's almost half the cost.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

EvilJoven posted:

They're talking bikes with 700*40ish tires and suspension forks like the Giant Roam series which yes suck compared to modern air forks you'd find on the MTB you take to Whistler but are fine for someone that wants basically an entry level light duty bike and would prefer some squish to their ride at the cost of some extra weight.

I was making a joke about a distinction that doesn’t really exist. Hybrid bikes and fitness bikes are the exact same thing. Some have suspension forks. Some don’t.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

I don't think cheap suspension forks that come on hybrids are ever worth it. They sap your momentum and then they break. If you're lucky it'll have a lockout and then it's merely heavy. That said, the economics and viability of "throw out your BSO and get a real bike" are completely hosed right now

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

EvilJoven posted:

Oh it totally would be but at the same time good luck trying to convince someone who doesn't want to drop gravel bike money to pick one over a bike that's almost half the cost.

Which is why hybrids should not exist.

Put the same cheapo 7 speed acera drivetrain with a triple and some bar ends on a rigid bike that can fit 650x47 tires with some bargain basement TRP mech discs and sell it for as much or less than the hybrid but actually have a decent bike.

Clark Nova posted:

I don't think cheap suspension forks that come on hybrids are ever worth it. They sap your momentum and then they break. If you're lucky it'll have a lockout and then it's merely heavy. That said, the economics and viability of "throw out your BSO and get a real bike" are completely hosed right now
They’re only there to trick people into thinking they’re good “high end” bikes.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Steve French posted:

if only you had a bike that would fit 650b wheels and 47c tires

I feel seen

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

If it's a joke then it's not helpful and I'm not sure a newbie would get it if thread regulars don't. And if it's not a joke it's bad advice.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Twerk from Home posted:

There isn't a distinction because all of these are terms with no standardization.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
"suspension forks on commuter bikes are generally poor quality and not worth it" is good advice that might be worth including in a brief commuter/city bike writeup

"throw your commuter bike in the trash if it drops a chain!!! Rule V!!! HTFU!!!!" is not

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

What percentage of my bicycle has to be carbon fiber before I'm allowed to go fast? What about my shoes? Is there a weight limit for the shoe itself?

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Weight doesn’t matter anymore, it’s all about AERO now

Killswitch
Feb 25, 2009

If it's a joke then it's not helpful and I'm not sure a newbie would get it if thread regulars don't. And if it's not a joke it's bad advice.

LOL I don’t want to live in a world where this:

e.pilot posted:

is not immediately recognizable as hyperbole. Come on buddy

funkymonks
Aug 31, 2004

Pillbug

e.pilot posted:

Weight doesn’t matter anymore, it’s all about AERO now

Next big advancement in cycling tech will be riding in vacuum.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

funkymonks posted:

Next big advancement in cycling tech will be riding in vacuum.

You can already almost do this if you get behind a truck or RV

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Killswitch posted:

LOL I don’t want to live in a world where this:

is not immediately recognizable as hyperbole. Come on buddy

that's not what the OP says, and the "writeup" in the OP is much less obviously hyperbole

i get that it's kind of useless because nobody is going to join this gay forum in 2020 anyway, but treating any bike with a flat bar like a Wal-Mart bike with Falcon derailleurs is really really stupid.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
a flat bar bike isn’t necessarily a hybrid

a hybrid is a flat bar bike

this is what I’m talking about when I say hybrid

some extremely heavy step through monstrosity likely with some kind of questionable fork and the cheapest of the cheap drivetrain and brakes, literally nobody should buy these

This, is a good bike

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
and I'd call the bottom bike a hybrid and the top bike a (lovely) city bike because these terms are fake and have no standardization.

and it's not like you can't get a well made city bike with racks/basket and a step through frame, it's just that the companies that make them are sadly extremely "hip"

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

e.pilot posted:

a flat bar bike isn’t necessarily a hybrid

a hybrid is a flat bar bike

this is what I’m talking about when I say hybrid

some extremely heavy step through monstrosity likely with some kind of questionable fork and the cheapest of the cheap drivetrain and brakes, literally nobody should buy these

This, is a good bike

I think you have a bit of a hybrid posting style

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

My hybrid bike sucks, but it takes me out of the house and has helped me see that biking is cool and good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

I think you have a bit of a hybrid posting style

I can assure you I am 100% shitposts.