Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Everyone in DISCO had a room, even if they had to share it. Given how luxurious the TNG Enterprise is in comparison, it does seem a bit weird that the ensigns in Lower Decks sleep in a corridor .

EDIT: Per above I guess it makes more sense on a smaller ship, but still

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Its also a joke that they're lowbies and treated like relative poo poo compared to the Important Main Characters

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Everyone in DISCO had a room, even if they had to share it. Given how luxurious the TNG Enterprise is in comparison, it does seem a bit weird that the ensigns in Lower Decks sleep in a corridor .

EDIT: Per above I guess it makes more sense on a smaller ship, but still

I dunno about the size difference in the ships but Disco's crew complement was 200 and a Galaxy's complement was 1-6,000

e: Crossfield-class listed at 750 meters long, Galaxy-class, 642 meters.

Snow Cone Capone fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Aug 10, 2020

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

The rough bunk beds in DS9's Defiant were a thing they were constantly talking about. Only Worf liked them.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Taear posted:

I'll still carry on watching it but it definitely falls into that "all the new treks are being like 21st century america" thing. The whole cast being north americans doesn't help this.

The Federation being a stand-in for contemporary America, and the cast being mostly or entirely North Americans? Yessir, these certainly are recent phenomena that have only cropped up in the newest shows. It's truly where no Trek has gone before. :hmmyes:

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Snow Cone Capone posted:

e: Crossfield-class listed at 750 meters long

Scaling on Trek ships has always been weird, but the size of the Crossfield is just pants-on-head moronic.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Powered Descent posted:

The Federation being a stand-in for contemporary America, and the cast being mostly or entirely North Americans? Yessir, these certainly are recent phenomena that have only cropped up in the newest shows. It's truly where no Trek has gone before. :hmmyes:

I'd say that previously star trek was "the west".
Using metric on a US TV show for example, other stuff like that which makes it feel less american. When you're awash with shows that make references to things and people that you've never heard of Star Trek was so different and it definitely doesn't feel like "just america but in space"
As a comparison Stargate is very much "America goes elsewhere".

Carbon dioxide posted:

The rough bunk beds in DS9's Defiant were a thing they were constantly talking about. Only Worf liked them.

Yes this is what I was thinking of, Defiant did it because it's explicitly a warship.

Taear fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Aug 10, 2020

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

multijoe posted:

The Federation is not The Culture and Starfleet is broadly depicted as a military organisation that bears some resemblence to a current day equivalent, its certainly not an infinite resources utopia and the lower ranks sleeping in dorms on a starship seems pretty believable to me

As others have said, it depends. The Enterprise-D is very much depicted as 'we want to take a small town on a long voyage into space, with enough spare luxury-flat-quarters to fit another small town if need be. But then the Galaxy class are also depicted as incredibly rare super-expensive prestige ships of the fleet.

Everything else is very much 'this is a modern day cruiser/destroyer it just happens to be in space'.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

Drone posted:

Scaling on Trek ships has always been weird, but the size of the Crossfield is just pants-on-head moronic.

A good half of the Crossfield's listed 750m length is the nacelles. It's otherwise about the size of the Intrepid class

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Drone posted:

Granted, it’s mostly empty space and the size could be handwaved by it being a clunky test ship for experimental propulsion.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

I guess I thought shared quarters would be like what Jake/Nog had in DS9. So they have their own rooms but have to deal with living with someone else.
NOT a military style line of beds in a corridor.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Seemlar posted:

A good half of the Crossfield's listed 750m length is the Willy Wonka turbolift system. It's otherwise about the size of the Intrepid class

as it should be :colbert:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Taear posted:

I guess I thought shared quarters would be like what Jake/Nog had in DS9. So they have their own rooms but have to deal with living with someone else.
NOT a military style line of beds in a corridor.

Yeah: small shared quarters of two to four would fit the era and setting that we've seen up to now, but big rows of people sleeping in the hallway feels a bit off, particularly since they could've just... divided it up. And also especially since Cerritos isn't particularly small like Defiant. But as has been said, they're just exaggerating how the lower decks get shat on.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Aug 10, 2020

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Seemlar posted:

A good half of the Crossfield's listed 750m length is the nacelles. It's otherwise about the size of the Intrepid class

Also it has a disproportionately small saucer, while the secondary hull’s volume is taken up by that loving gigantic shuttlebay.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Taear posted:

I'd say that previously star trek was "the west".
Using metric on a US TV show for example, other stuff like that which makes it feel less american. When you're awash with shows that make references to things and people that you've never heard of Star Trek was so different and it definitely doesn't feel like "just america but in space"
As a comparison Stargate is very much "America goes elsewhere".

I guess, but if you look at the actual shows and their themes, TOS was very much "Great Society liberalism in the Cold War", TNG was very much "The Cold War is finally ending, now we can enjoy the peace dividend and the added prosperity and comfort", DS9 was very much early 90s, "Hey, even though we're prosperous now, there's still this big debate over race, religion, and inequality." Voyager very much doubled down on the "How do we keep our values and promote those values when we're in a multipolar world with a bunch of little threats out there", and Enterprise was a lot of "Oh my God, 9/11 happened! What do we do? How does life get back to normal when there's an enemy out there that wants to kill us for no good reason! How do we stop them?"

Star Trek, in other words, has always been, thematically, America in space, and tied in with the American cultural zeitgeist.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Also it has a disproportionately small saucer, while the secondary hull’s volume is taken up by that loving gigantic shuttlebay.

Which also has TARDIS piping underneath for those pods and their overly complicated launch system.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I just don't see "the cadets sleep in a long-rear end hallway" as a deliberate "gently caress you" to the lower ranks, I guess :shrug:

Also apparently the showrunner based the California-class seen on the show on the Miranda-class, which were pretty teeny (~234m) so again, not that unusual IMO.

e: it also really doesn't seem cramped or uncomfortable at all. They seem like pretty large bunks and the hallway is very wide. Plus the view out the back kicks rear end :hellyeah:

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Epicurius posted:

I guess, but if you look at the actual shows and their themes, TOS was very much "Great Society liberalism in the Cold War", TNG was very much "The Cold War is finally ending, now we can enjoy the peace dividend and the added prosperity and comfort", DS9 was very much early 90s, "Hey, even though we're prosperous now, there's still this big debate over race, religion, and inequality." Voyager very much doubled down on the "How do we keep our values and promote those values when we're in a multipolar world with a bunch of little threats out there", and Enterprise was a lot of "Oh my God, 9/11 happened! What do we do? How does life get back to normal when there's an enemy out there that wants to kill us for no good reason! How do we stop them?"

Star Trek, in other words, has always been, thematically, America in space, and tied in with the American cultural zeitgeist.

While these things are part of America I'd call it western rather than just american. They're themes of the modern capitalist nation instead of just American stuff. I guess making this a comedy is already going to move it further away from that general cultural appeal but the new ones all feel more American than previous ones.
Star Trek always felt more like home than any other American show and it's not just because it had actors from the rest of the anglosphere in it.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
They call it a corridor but it looks more like a long room. There only seems to be the window at the one end and a door at the other.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Also apparently the showrunner based the California-class seen on the show on the Miranda-class, which were pretty teeny (~234m) so again, not that unusual IMO.

The Miranda actually had about the same volume as the Connie, thanks to that huge superstructure on top. It's just a flying brick!

(And they roughly similar order of internal volume to a modern Nimitz carrier, which generally carries about 5k people)

quote:

e: it also really doesn't seem cramped or uncomfortable at all. They seem like pretty large bunks and the hallway is very wide. Plus the view out the back kicks rear end :hellyeah:

Which is why I'm saying it'd make more sense to have divided it up to tiny quarters. It's not so much about space as privacy, and having a place that's yours. Having your own space or space for only a few people is generally much more important on closed-in long-duration no-escape stays. Places like South Pole Station give everyone a miniscule room of their own even though it'd be way more physically comfortable to have barracks.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Aug 10, 2020

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

MikeJF posted:

The Miranda actually had about the same volume as the Connie, thanks to that huge superstructure on top. It's just a flying brick!

(And they roughly similar order of internal volume to a modern Nimitz carrier, which generally carries about 5k people)

Which is why I'm saying it'd make more sense to have divided it up to tiny quarters. It's not so much about space as privacy. Having your own space or space for only a few people is generally much more important on closed-in long-duration no-escape stays. Places like South Pole Station give everyone a miniscule room of their own even though it'd be way more physically comfortable to have barracks.

yeah, I meant compared to the Galaxy.

Personally, I think it'd be pretty cool to bunk in a setup like that. Plus I have to imagine there's some sort of privacy screen you can pull over the openings (I'd also say it's a fair bet that the privacy screen failing will be a joke somewhere down the line)

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Is it wrong that I keep thinking the ship is named the Jarritos.

Sponsorship opportunity imo.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Drone posted:

Is it wrong that I keep thinking the ship is named the Jarritos.

Sponsorship opportunity imo.

I thought the exact same thing the first time I heard the name

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Do we know all the humans in Lower Decks are American? They say Boimler is, but do Mariner or Rutherford or Ransom have canonical nationalities yet? Keep in mind, Geordi was ostensibly from Somalia but spoke with an American accent, and Picard was supposed to be French.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

I love how loving nerdy this thread has gotten because there's so little to complain about with the new show. This is a good sign!

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I just don't see "the cadets sleep in a long-rear end hallway" as a deliberate "gently caress you" to the lower ranks, I guess :shrug:

<resists urge to make modern-day navy comparisons>

<remembers his "modern-day" experience is 30 years old>

<weeps, old-ly>

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Mokinokaro posted:

They call it a corridor but it looks more like a long room. There only seems to be the window at the one end and a door at the other.

A very long and narrow room with a door at one end and just enough space for people to walk by in opposite directions, yes.

Handsome Wife
Feb 17, 2001

Seems like a legitimate distinction to me? Like it's not a hallway that people pass through on the way to or from anywhere, it's just a long skinny room.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Handsome Wife posted:

Seems like a legitimate distinction to me? Like it's not a hallway that people pass through on the way to or from anywhere, it's just a long skinny room.

I'm just going to level with you, I was going to do a bit about how yes it is a room because it has a door but really it looks like a hallway and all that and oh a garage is a room with a sweet floor-to-ceiling-wall-to-wall door, but that bit is going nowhere and I already regret making it because I have a better and more important question that just popped in to my head:

Is there a place on a spaceship that isn't a room? Like everywhere on the spaceship is inherently also a room, since they're enclosed, if they weren't, they'd let the space in and the air out. Hallways on a spaceship are a room, and so are the shuttle bays, and the nacelles, every Jefferies tube, and even cetacean ops. Every spaceship must be a series of rooms inside other rooms. I genuinely just realized right now that spaceships can't be anything but a series of rooms, this isn't a bit, I am kind of blown away by this. It's room all the way down.

edit: when two ships dock, the docking bays are both rooms, BUT ALSO both spaceships combine to form one giant room with more rooms inside it. I am legitimately realizing that every spaceship is room.

edit: :eyepop: a dyson sphere is a room with a giant sun as a lamp.

piratepilates fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Aug 11, 2020

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

...and that's why, yes, a hotdog is a sandwich.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

ashpanash posted:

...and that's why, yes, a hotdog is a sandwich.

In case anyone wants to argue otherwise: https://cuberule.com/

But I also just realized that like, almost all houses/buildings are also "rooms" under my room-theory definition, so it's not that amazing I guess.

I also realized that most hallways in places where it gets cold are also enclosed by walls and doors, so almost all hallways are rooms anyway. The only part of my post that still really stands is the dyson sphere room, and the two docking ships forming one big room out of their connecting hallways.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

a ship is only a room if it has carpets

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

piratepilates posted:

I'm just going to level with you, I was going to do a bit about how yes it is a room because it has a door but really it looks like a hallway and all that and oh a garage is a room with a sweet floor-to-ceiling-wall-to-wall door, but that bit is going nowhere and I already regret making it because I have a better and more important question that just popped in to my head:

Is there a place on a spaceship that isn't a room? Like everywhere on the spaceship is inherently also a room, since they're enclosed, if they weren't, they'd let the space in and the air out. Hallways on a spaceship are a room, and so are the shuttle bays, and the nacelles, every Jefferies tube, and even cetacean ops. Every spaceship must be a series of rooms inside other rooms. I genuinely just realized right now that spaceships can't be anything but a series of rooms, this isn't a bit, I am kind of blown away by this. It's room all the way down.

edit: when two ships dock, the docking bays are both rooms, BUT ALSO both spaceships combine to form one giant room with more rooms inside it. I am legitimately realizing that every spaceship is room.

edit: :eyepop: a dyson sphere is a room with a giant sun as a lamp.

Ok raffi that’s enough space weed for one day

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

oh but seriously I posted:

a ship is only a room if it has carpets

"Computer, what is the nature of the universe?"

"The universe is a carpeted region 705 metres in diameter."

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Astroman posted:

"Computer, what is the nature of the universe?"

"The universe is a carpeted region 705 metres in diameter."

"Computer, what type of carpet"

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Madurai posted:

<resists urge to make modern-day navy comparisons>

<remembers his "modern-day" experience is 30 years old>

<weeps, old-ly>

Do people on subs still sleep among the torpedos?

I got to go on the, Tarawa, I think it was, one of the USMCs carriers, and we were taken on a tour my Lt and she had her own room, which was basically a closet big enough for a bed, a desk and a place to put stuff. Enlisted crew and the jarhead grunts had something similar, though it was less a hallway and more rows of bunks.

I didn't realize the class was called the California, which explains why the Captain has a old California state flag on her wall.

Wasn't there conformation that some alumni of other series will show up in this? I want a totally unhinged Admiral Janeway to show up.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

twistedmentat posted:

Wasn't there conformation that some alumni of other series will show up in this? I want a totally unhinged Admiral Janeway to show up.

Not to be a complete dorkus, but don’t the uniforms place them at a pre-Voyager point in the timeline?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Phylodox posted:

Not to be a complete dorkus, but don’t the uniforms place them at a pre-Voyager point in the timeline?

No, they place them at the TNG nostalgia point

Starfleet changes their uniforms either like every year or not for decades depending on who is Chief Fashion Officer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Phylodox posted:

They're not TNG uniforms, they are neather front of backzips. Nor are they Voyager turtlenecks.