Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
I doubt Tarantino would do Chicago gangsters rather than use the framing device to do some other film genre but with Star Trek. Like maybe they watched a samurai movie or The Player or something.

Kirk beams down to John Wick planet and they think he killed Archer's dog for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

FlamingLiberal posted:

A Piece of the Action is not a good episode

Captain, you are an excellent starship commander. But as a TV reviewer, you leave much to be desired.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Epicurius posted:

A Piece of the Action is a great episode. Star Trek could do funny episodes really well. Kirk desperately trying to come up with rules for a fictional card game and also his and Spock's attempt to figure out how a car works pretty much make the episode by themselves.
Those parts are fine but overall it's just ehhh

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

It's an attempt to recapture the magic of Star Trek IV with a different gimmick involving something directly in Tarantino's wheelhouse, that is, pulp fiction

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

It could be interesting if it was more like First Contact in reverse. Like, the protagonists are all gangster aliens who, I dunno, try to pull a heist on the visiting Starship Enterprise or something.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Drink-Mix Man posted:

It could be interesting if it was more like First Contact in reverse. Like, the protagonists are all gangster aliens who, I dunno, try to pull a heist on the visiting Starship Enterprise or something.

No, actually, I don't want to see Quentin Tarantino's Space Jam

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Tarantino’s last film will be a remake of My Dinner With André, which is good because he’s so great at dialog. Unfortunately half the script is filled with n-bombs.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

Automatic Slim posted:

Tarantino’s last film will be a remake of My Dinner With André, which is good because he’s so great at dialog. Unfortunately half the script is filled with n-bombs.

Guess Who's Coming to Dinner With André.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

It's fascinating to speculate because I feel like it's equally possible that Tarantino would do a genre film satire of Star Trek, or an absolutely straight conventional 'Star Trek' film with the best Kirk-Spock-McCoy interactions ever.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

City on the Edge of the Action

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

I watched the first episode of TNG and thought it was dreadful, but I am going to trudge forward so I can get to the good stuff in this series I guess

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

I watched the first episode of TNG and thought it was dreadful

Yeah that's right.

There's a handful of really good episodes scattered among okay and some dreadful ones in the first two seasons, then in Season 3 there's a big behind-the-scenes overhaul and the show absolutely takes off.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

I watched the first episode of TNG and thought it was dreadful, but I am going to trudge forward so I can get to the good stuff in this series I guess

It's a terrible start. But it doesn't take too long to get to more interesting stuff. "The Naked Now" is so bad it's good, "Code of Honor" is horrendous, "The Last Outpost" is goofy, and then "Where No One Has Gone Before" is kind of par for the course.

You'd be forgiven for skipping "Code of Honor" because there is legitimately nothing of value to it, but otherwise it is quite watchable after that.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Arglebargle III posted:

City on the Edge of the Action

What Are Little Actions Made Of?

Gameko
Feb 23, 2006

The friend of all children!

I'd just skip right to season 3. Watch 3/4/5, then go back and watch 1/2 in light of those, else stop when you feel like it after watching 3/4. Cap off your viewing experience with the finale (all good things) if you're enjoying yourself at all.

Season 3 is really the peak and has lots of good plot-driven episodes. Season 4 is more character-driven, and I think thus requires more buy into the overall cast. It's still really good though. By the end of season 5, most of the episode ideas have been done, and the show starts to run out of steam in 6 and 7. Season 1 and 2 suffer from a lack of identity, and Roddenberry of course had a big influence on the shows of that time.

Every season has its standout episodes, and there are a handful in one and two that are must see. (Measure of a man anyone?) It's not worth slogging all of the cringe-worthy episodes to get to them though. If you're really curious, I'm sure you can find a handy list online that outlines the five or six must-see episodes from the early seasons.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
A Piece on the Edge of the Action

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Gameko posted:

I'd just skip right to season 3. Watch 3/4/5, then go back and watch 1/2 in light of those, else stop when you feel like it after watching 3/4. Cap off your viewing experience with the finale (all good things) if you're enjoying yourself at all.

Season 3 is really the peak and has lots of good plot-driven episodes. Season 4 is more character-driven, and I think thus requires more buy into the overall cast. It's still really good though. By the end of season 5, most of the episode ideas have been done, and the show starts to run out of steam in 6 and 7. Season 1 and 2 suffer from a lack of identity, and Roddenberry of course had a big influence on the shows of that time.

Every season has its standout episodes, and there are a handful in one and two that are must see. (Measure of a man anyone?) It's not worth slogging all of the cringe-worthy episodes to get to them though. If you're really curious, I'm sure you can find a handy list online that outlines the five or six must-see episodes from the early seasons.

I’d argue that 3-6 are the best seasons, with 7 being a subjective best depending on how you like your shows going “ah, gently caress it” weird at the end.

Strangely enough on my last watch of TNG, aside from the obvious standouts, I found season 5 a little dull.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Lemniscate Blue posted:

A Piece on the Edge of the Action

Is There In Action No Edging?

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

I think I shot myself in the foot with TNG by watching DS9 first. There are some good highs but man are there a lot of merely 'eh' episodes.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

womb with a view posted:

I think I shot myself in the foot with TNG by watching DS9 first. There are some good highs but man are there a lot of merely 'eh' episodes.
Yeah i would say that’s probably a mistake if you have never seen either

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

CPColin posted:

Is There In Action No Edging?

A Taste of the Edge

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

For the Edge is Hollow and I Have Touched the Piece

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Spock’s Piece

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!

Sir Lemming posted:

"The Naked Now" is so bad it's good,

The problem with The Naked Now is that it's episode 2. The viewers barely know these characters, and now suddenly they're acting out of character? Had it been something like episode 7 or 8, I think it might have been a bit better.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

HD DAD posted:

Spock’s Piece

Spock’s Feet

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Kibayasu posted:

Spock’s Feet

Tarantino, so this checks out.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Requiem For the Omega Private Little Action on the Edge of Assignment: Earth

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

quote:

"Coming of Age" Rating: 3 – Watch
"The Arsenal of Freedom" Rating: 3 – Watch
"Symbiosis" Rating: 3 – Watch
"Skin of Evil" Rating: 2 – Watch for continuity
"Conspiracy" Rating: 4 – Watch
"The Neutral Zone" Rating: 3 – Watch

It's not a modern show, you miss very little by skipping episodes.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
IMO either watch a very small "Best Of" selection or watch the whole drat thing. Average episode quality is not that different between seasons.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Animal-Mother posted:

Requiem For the Omega Private Little Action on the Edge of Assignment: Earth

Hey now it's a Futurama episode

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Sir Lemming posted:

IMO either watch a very small "Best Of" selection or watch the whole drat thing. Average episode quality is not that different between seasons.

wrong season 1 is bad

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Season 1 is definitely a rougher go than Season 2

I think there are maybe 7-8 essential episodes in S1

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.
A Kelvinverse Tarantino sequel to A Piece of the Action would be loving great. Whether by being legit good or by being entertainingly terrible who knows, but I certainly can't conceive of it being boring.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I just want to see an Andorian hanging off the side of a Model-T chomping a cigar and shooting a tommy gun at some space coppers saying they'll never take him alive

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Sir Lemming posted:

It's a terrible start. But it doesn't take too long to get to more interesting stuff. "The Naked Now" is so bad it's good, "Code of Honor" is horrendous, "The Last Outpost" is goofy, and then "Where No One Has Gone Before" is kind of par for the course.

You'd be forgiven for skipping "Code of Honor" because there is legitimately nothing of value to it, but otherwise it is quite watchable after that.

We just watched The Naked Now tonight and it's so bad, just about no redeeming value at all - Data has some decent physical comedy on the bridge after making love to Tasha but that's it. It's a straight up ripoff of the superior TOS episode but worse in every way. Even the chunk of stellar ejecta coming at them is like a solid asteroid, it just does not make any sense throughout any of it.

Encounter at Farpoint at least has Q. After his cringeworthy introduction on the ship, in the courtroom scenes he and Picard are magnificent, even though the rest of the episode is a bit crap.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I really don’t remember anything about Farpoint aside from the Q bits. I know there’s something about a corrupt governor with a name that starts with Z building his colony on top of the space jellyfish and there’s a whole bunch of scenes where his office shakes itself to pieces but it’s all so loving dull that I can’t be bothered to rewatch it any of the times I’ve done a series rewatch.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002
I think I'd still watch Farpoint in a second over Emissary which opens strong purely riding the coattails of TNG but kind of falls flat on it's face, or Broken Bow which is just bleh. Q still works and the weird undeveloped versions of the main characters are a novelty.

I honestly don't remember anything about Caretaker at this point

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Whoaaaaa now, Emissary is legit great.

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

what a humorous anecdote.

Seemlar posted:

I honestly don't remember anything about Caretaker at this point

How could you forget it, they travel back in time to that episode at least 3 or 4 times over the course of the series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WilWheaton
Oct 11, 2006

It'd be hard to get bored on this ship!
Emissary is great

I especially love how it sets up the 'find the orbs' quest like its some kind of jrpg