Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

MiddleOne posted:

You're going to have to elaborate

the "but white people are discriminated" posts a few pages back

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

Celexi posted:

the "but white people are discriminated" posts a few pages back

What?

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

Pages 824 and 825.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Celexi posted:

Pages 824 and 825.

Mh, this is not how I read those pages, at least not from the perspective that I am/was approaching them. The central complaint running through these posts, as I see it, was that countries are moving to conservatism and fascism. Then there was a discussion about class and how useful class concepts are in getting people i the boat with progressive policies.

Is it possible that you're focusing on awkwardly worded posts on those pages and inferring a bad motivation based on that?

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

There's like one threadshitter who said anything against migrants or minorities, maybe two.

Though if I have to spell it out these posts are being ironic:

Phlegmish posted:

Well, you know, at least they're being consistent. Most minority groups are far more likely to be affected by covid than native Europeans.

yikes! posted:

It's that germanic blood ofc

Private Speech posted:

I've legitimately heard otherwise intelligent people put forth this "explanation".

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

Lord Stimperor posted:

Mh, this is not how I read those pages, at least not from the perspective that I am/was approaching them. The central complaint running through these posts, as I see it, was that countries are moving to conservatism and fascism. Then there was a discussion about class and how useful class concepts are in getting people i the boat with progressive policies.

Is it possible that you're focusing on awkwardly worded posts on those pages and inferring a bad motivation based on that?

Are those posts mine? They're probably mine...I hosed up Inuit before... My posts were mostly to show how white people usually have it a lot easier than immigrants and I'm sorry if my syntax made that unclear.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Celexi posted:

for last few pages here I thought I was reading a nazi forum or something, what is wrong with you guys.

Ah, welcome to European politics.

The new leader of the Scottish Tories

https://twitter.com/theSNP/status/1291024506887307266?s=19

It's racism all the way down

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
If you could just change the one thing about society, what would it be?

gently caress GYPSIES EVEN HARDER - spoken on August 5th 2020

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

EAT. SHIT.

Not just all travellers, but gypsy travellers in particular, despite being very similar to irish travellers they're special you see, there's something about them I can't quite put my finger on.

Must be the name, "gyptians" what pretentious nonsense that they definitely came up with and use to call themselves.

(and yes that is the etymology, from "egyptian" [or "fake egyptian" in official documents], for some utterly unknowable reason that is definitely not racist)

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Aug 10, 2020

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

An insane mind posted:

Are those posts mine? They're probably mine...I hosed up Inuit before... My posts were mostly to show how white people usually have it a lot easier than immigrants and I'm sorry if my syntax made that unclear.

I don't think so. Might as well have been me who was being unclear. Without OP highlighting specific statements we can't clarify the situation.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

"How dare the travellers live in poverty and marginalization, we must marginalize them further for it, wait why is this not working"

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

forkboy84 posted:

Ah, welcome to European politics.

The new leader of the Scottish Tories

Sorry but this is officially Off-Topic since 31 January.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

poo poo, I forgot. Boris's reeducation camp for me to stop talking down Britain

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

Andrast posted:

ignoring

pretty much.
I've heard more buzz from lefties trying to parse what's happening there and deciding wether to go to a march happening here later this week than anything from a gov official

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Cat Mattress posted:

Sorry but this is officially Off-Topic since 31 January.

This reminds me, that last I saw of that shitshow was the fact that Greater Great Britain needs to ask for an extension of the transition period until around June/July 2020, or the Uniquely United Kingdom will just barrel out of the EU full tilt come December 31st.

I never heard anything about Boris asking for that extension, because of Covid. Did the UK-government really miss that extension and is now set for 100% chaos in 2021? :confused:

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Buddy, there's already 100% chaos.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Libluini posted:

This reminds me, that last I saw of that shitshow was the fact that Greater Great Britain needs to ask for an extension of the transition period until around June/July 2020, or the Uniquely United Kingdom will just barrel out of the EU full tilt come December 31st.

I never heard anything about Boris asking for that extension, because of Covid. Did the UK-government really miss that extension and is now set for 100% chaos in 2021? :confused:

When push comes to shove all these deadlines are meaningless and negotiable. Brexit has been delayed half a dozen of times before, and so may the end of the transition period.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Lord Stimperor posted:

When push comes to shove all these deadlines are meaningless and negotiable. Brexit has been delayed half a dozen of times before, and so may the end of the transition period.

if brexit gets postponed in any way, johnson is a political corpse imo

he had one single promise during the 2019 GE and it was expediting brexit at all costs. if he finches, he's done

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

V. Illych L. posted:

I don't think so. He can do whatever he wants. His platform was never built on a foundation of critical onwards reflection, so whenever anything goes wrong he can just blame the EU. The Tories have done this from the start, are still doing that, and it has gotten them seated firmly in power.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

V. Illych L. posted:

he had one single promise during the 2019 GE and it was expediting brexit at all costs. if he finches, he's done

I mean he's already said he'd be "dead in a ditch" before he prolongs the exit period. He's said that before prolonging it last December that is.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

He can't prolong it unilaterally. I see no reason for the EU to agree but who knows

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
The covid-induced recession is the perfect way to explain away the damage caused by the Brexit-induced recession; so I do not expect a trade deal before the end of the transition period, or a demand for an extension. They can have their hard Brexit and blame it on Chinese bats.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
this is supposedly in a town in Portugal.. wth tikki torches and theatre masks, world politics really are the dredge of US politics

https://scontent.flis8-2.fna.fbcdn....242&oe=5F55D229

Honest Thief fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Aug 10, 2020

AndreTheGiantBoned
Oct 28, 2010

Honest Thief posted:

this is supposedly in a town in Portugal.. wth tikki torches and theatre masks, world politics really are the dredge of US politics

https://scontent.flis8-2.fna.fbcdn....242&oe=5F55D229

What's the context?

orange sky
May 7, 2007

There's always been a fringe nazi group in Portugal, with Mario Machado at its head. It's loving amazing considering we're "brown" for most of the world.

That was in Lisbon apparently, organized by that same nazi group. We import the worst from the US jesus christ.

orange sky fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Aug 11, 2020

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

orange sky posted:

There's always been a fringe nazi group in Portugal, with Mario Machado at its head, in Portugal. It's loving amazing considering we're "brown" for most of the world.

That was in Lisbon apparently, organized by that same nazi group. We import the worst from the US jesus christ.

Most of the anti-vaxxers we have in Portugal and Religious crazies are either ex-portuguese immigrants here in the US or Us cit that move to Portugal and some Portuguese for some reason go "they are american and know better than us"

Misanthropic Void
Oct 9, 2012

Celexi posted:

Most of the anti-vaxxers we have in Portugal and Religious crazies are either ex-portuguese immigrants here in the US or Us cit that move to Portugal and some Portuguese for some reason go "they are american and know better than us"

There is always an "gajo de Alfama" in every household. Funny how that sketch fits these last few years to a T.

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

Misanthropic Void posted:

There is always an "gajo de Alfama" in every household. Funny how that sketch fits these last few years to a T.

The gajo de alfama as been gentrified, they are all living in trafaria now.
This was a stunt for their new party,it's either gonna embolden them or it's gonna backfire horribly.the real concerning thing is that there was no rumour that this was being prepared or where,a far right with competent opsec is a loving worrying development.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Any other European countries where COVID-19 is used to beat immigrants over the head or are Danes pioneers in racism once again?

Danish People's Party Jugend: Who's the greater risk for infecting you with corona, Anne-Lise or Ali?

("Anne-Lise" is apparently German and "Ali" Yemeni.)

Post goes on to posit that immigrants are "massively overrepresented" in recent COVID-19 outbreaks and points to poor language skills, also responsible for high unemployment and refusal to integrate, but now it's "a health risk to the people". Pure ewige Jude type poo poo on display here and the government is kowtowing to that angle to some extent—some of the workers infected at the Danish Crown meat packing plant were also foreigners, they point out.

Of course they're more likely to work low income jobs with greater exposure to the virus and live smaller alongside more people, but don't let that get in the way of some good, old fashioned race baiting.

abske_fides
Apr 20, 2010
Scandinavian fremmedfrykt at its best to be quite honest. Not surprising at all, just disappointing.

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012
Italian right wingers have been schizophrenically oscillating between 'covid does not exist' and 'migrants are bringing us covid' so maybe there's some parallel development going on there.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

mortons stork posted:

Italian right wingers have been schizophrenically oscillating between 'covid does not exist' and 'migrants are bringing us covid' so maybe there's some parallel development going on there.

There has been a bit of that pretty much everywhere.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

the sketch inadvertently shows one of the reasons the ch party gained traction, beyond the financial support from rich fascists, in making the Alfama guy a rude, loud caricature that the elitist right and left looks with disdain. earlier last week a guy from bloco on twitter PWNED machado by correcting his spelling
If that's our left, Lisbon centric, yeah we're hosed

Antifa Poltergeist posted:

The gajo de alfama as been gentrified, they are all living in trafaria now.
This was a stunt for their new party,it's either gonna embolden them or it's gonna backfire horribly.the real concerning thing is that there was no rumour that this was being prepared or where,a far right with competent opsec is a loving worrying development.

they're getting more brazen, on social media they're targeting lefty kids more and more, the "we're not racists" march might have been small but was too efective in mobilising people through their innate fear and contradictions that portuguese have irt their history and identity

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

SplitSoul posted:

Any other European countries where COVID-19 is used to beat immigrants over the head or are Danes pioneers in racism once again?

I actually haven't seen much of that, surprisingly. Vlaams Belang, probably, but I try not to pay too much attention to them.

It is absolutely true that specific migrant groups are overrepresented in covid statistics, but yeah, it's due to various structural factors, not malicious intent/wanton carelessness or anything like that.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

At least where I live, I see some significantly more masks on people with an immigration background than on white autochthonous people

Misanthropic Void
Oct 9, 2012

Were I live pretty much everyone uses a mask where it is mandatory, which would be public transportation and public indoor spaces.

Honest Thief posted:

the sketch inadvertently shows one of the reasons the ch party gained traction, beyond the financial support from rich fascists, in making the Alfama guy a rude, loud caricature that the elitist right and left looks with disdain. earlier last week a guy from bloco on twitter PWNED machado by correcting his spelling
If that's our left, Lisbon centric, yeah we're hosed

they're getting more brazen, on social media they're targeting lefty kids more and more, the "we're not racists" march might have been small but was too efective in mobilising people through their innate fear and contradictions that portuguese have irt their history and identity

But in the end nothing will happen, that is the Portuguese people, nothing ever happens and we never do anything. We're a peaceful bunch and very few people would like to see a repeat of the Estado Novo.

Misanthropic Void fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Aug 11, 2020

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Lord Stimperor posted:

At least where I live, I see some significantly more masks on people with an immigration background than on white autochthonous people

Depends which background. The (extremely) old stereotype of muslims being sticklers for hygiene tends to be true in my personal experience, sometimes to an exaggerated extent. On the other hand, they also tend to attach more importance to regular (extended) family gatherings, so it's hard to tell in advance what the balance will be.

e: yup, VB:

https://www.standaard.be/cnt/dmf20200811_94598921

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Aug 11, 2020

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
Aren't a lot of the clusters happening in workplaces? That's what drives up the Covid numbers for ethnic minorities: being more likely to be poorer and have "essential" jobs where you can't work from home and/or practice social distancing.

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012

But in the end nothing will happen, that is the Portuguese people, nothing ever happens and we never do anything. We're a peaceful bunch and very few people would like to see a repeat of the Estado Novo.

in the last few weeks, a black man was shot to death by a racist in the middle of the street, causing the "new" right party to support the murderer; then the parties of the "traditional" right talked about doing a coalition with that party; then there was a protest with tiki torches and death threats to multiple left-wing MPs and antiracists.

i don't think the old rules apply anymore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

KoldPT posted:

in the last few weeks, a black man was shot to death by a racist in the middle of the street, causing the "new" right party to support the murderer; then the parties of the "traditional" right talked about doing a coalition with that party; then there was a protest with tiki torches and death threats to multiple left-wing MPs and antiracists.

i don't think the old rules apply anymore

Most adult age people in Portugal now have no idea how bad it was in the novo estado and history classes do a bad job on telling the horrors of it because they don't want to show the war crimes we did on the colonial war. That combined with the Portuguese qanaon and facebook trolls you have quite a lot of the right quietly telling between themselves how great Salazar was and how those communists ruined the empire.