Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Josherino)

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

StashAugustine posted:

Is this anything goons can help with? Good luck

Unless you are able to find a foreigner with poor education and resume a full time job in Melbourne not really. Just appreciate being able to vent my anxiety.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Very unclear whether I'm employed even after the announcement, but 250,000 people in my city did just lose their job, on top of the hundreds of thousands before today. gently caress

I will definitely have to reapply for my mortgage as construction staff has to reduce to 25% and that means delays.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Anyone else ever get real sad and cry while eating popeyes in the acme parking lot?

Peeches
May 25, 2018

Got a letter from someone today. Feeling used and sick about it. How does a person use someone selfishly, and lie so easily about it. Its disgusting. And gross. How are manipulators made to be that way. I don't think I'll ever understand how that's possible. But then again I don't pretend things didn't happen. I'm not complicit in willfully selfish ingnorance.

And getting my second covid test today, first one was negative but I'm still very sick.

Peeches has issued a correction as of 19:31 on Aug 3, 2020

thehandtruck
Mar 5, 2006

the thing about the jews is,

Peeches posted:

Got a letter from someone today. Feeling used and sick about it. How does a person use someone selfishly, and lie so easily about it. Its disgusting. And gross. How are manipulators made to be that way. I don't think I'll ever understand how that's possible. But then again I don't pretend things didn't happen. I'm not complicit in willfully selfish ingnorance.

And getting my second covid test today, first one was negative but I'm still very sick.

Manipulators did not get their needs met during the attachment/bonding stage at 0-5 yrs old so they developed that mechanism to survive. People carry ALL survival mechanisms from that age into adulthood unless something lets them know it either isn't working anymore or is causing more damage than the reward. like for example if they somehow can't keep any friendships going longer than a year they might start to go, "hmmph, well that sucks, maybe i need to stop doing [thing]."

the brain of a manipulator is trained to spot people who are easily manipulated. There's a certain aura they're looking for, just like how a sexual predator can walk into a party and can pick out any person who's been a victim of sexual abuse within seconds (and vice versa).

Peeches
May 25, 2018

thehandtruck posted:

Manipulators did not get their needs met during the attachment/bonding stage at 0-5 yrs old so they developed that mechanism to survive. People carry ALL survival mechanisms from that age into adulthood unless something lets them know it either isn't working anymore or is causing more damage than the reward. like for example if they somehow can't keep any friendships going longer than a year they might start to go, "hmmph, well that sucks, maybe i need to stop doing [thing]."

the brain of a manipulator is trained to spot people who are easily manipulated. There's a certain aura they're looking for, just like how a sexual predator can walk into a party and can pick out any person who's been a victim of sexual abuse within seconds (and vice versa).

Wow. That actually makes a lot of sense. The complete disregard for others feelings when they only think of themselves. It all fits.

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

First full week of Pristiq 25mg. At first I was lethargic and locked to the couch and now I'm feeling restless and agitated, like I'm experiencing the start of akathisia all again. Does it get better?

I'm so tired of psych meds. I'm so tired of this process.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I take that, and yeah. the first bit of taking it was pretty iffy.

but it got better. is it helping? I dont know.

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

Hey everyone in the mental health thread. I am married to a man from Singapore and his elderly mom and dad live there and take care of his brother, who has downs syndrome. A few weeks ago, his brother ended up in the hospital and they thought it might be covid but it was dengue fever. He ended up being ok but he was in real rough shape, internal bleeding, emergency transfusion and it got my husband thinking how isolated he is from his family. He has strong feelings of guilt and obligation associated with his family which are completely understandable. On Sunday night he told me that he wanted to move back to Singapore indefinitely in order to help take care of his family.

I would absolutely go live in Singapore to be with my husband but they don't recognize gay marriage so that is a total non-starter. After a few tearful nights talking about what we are going to do, he decided to move once travel restrictions are lifted and stay for a year and visit me enough to keep his green card. This has been very hard for me and I am very sad.

My brother who lives in California wants me to just sell all my poo poo and move in with him but my job here in nashville is a good one and under the present circumstances, leaving a decent job feels like a huge loving mistake.

I am probably going to stay and throw myself into my work and hope loneliness and sorrow don't drive me completely out of my mind.

It's a motherfucker

Egg Moron has issued a correction as of 13:01 on Aug 5, 2020

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

hello goons are you feeling isolated and like you don't have anything to do? why not play boardgames with other goons through the magic of cyberspace? ice phisherman and i ran through Spirit Island (where you play magic ghosts scaring people off Catan) the other night on tabletop simulator, and we'll probably be playing again next week on wendsday, with room for a third or fourth; if more people are interested we could probably set up more stuff. boardgaming is for me a big help for brain problems, since it lets you focus on a puzzle you can think through and see your decisions affect things while also being a good social activity. post here or pm if you're interested

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

StashAugustine posted:

hello goons are you feeling isolated and like you don't have anything to do? why not play boardgames with other goons through the magic of cyberspace? ice phisherman and i ran through Spirit Island (where you play magic ghosts scaring people off Catan) the other night on tabletop simulator, and we'll probably be playing again next week on wendsday, with room for a third or fourth; if more people are interested we could probably set up more stuff. boardgaming is for me a big help for brain problems, since it lets you focus on a puzzle you can think through and see your decisions affect things while also being a good social activity. post here or pm if you're interested

Yep. We played a game that was basically a puzzle and didn't talk about anything world related. Cooperative problem solving. And we managed not to talk about the world or its problems.

If you don't understand board games and need to be taught, that's 100% okay. I'd like this to be newbie friendly. Tabletop Simulator is 20 bucks on Steam and occasionally goes on sale. And the neat thing about it is that because it's basically just a physics engine and has a robust modding community, that several hundred, possibly several thousands of board games are available for either a small fee or far more likely, nothing if you go into the Steam workshop.

Mostly I'd just like to get a weekly game going, maybe two and get some goons some social time with other people who are cool and good.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Very unclear whether I'm employed even after the announcement, but 250,000 people in my city did just lose their job, on top of the hundreds of thousands before today. gently caress

I will definitely have to reapply for my mortgage as construction staff has to reduce to 25% and that means delays.

hey USF i've been reading your posts in here for ages and i just wanted you to know i and others are certainly rooting for you. any news yet?

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

Hey thanks for the Daylio recommendation, been needing something like it for a while.

StashAugustine posted:

damnit i'd love to get in on this but don't have PMs (hurry up JEFFREY!). The only person I've seen since early march is my sometimes girlfriend because she lives with me. I feel extremely isolated!

mst4k has issued a correction as of 21:23 on Aug 7, 2020

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

karma_coma posted:

Hey thanks for the Daylio recommendation, been needing something like it for a while.

damnit i'd love to get in on this but don't have PMs (hurry up JEFFREY!). The only person I've seen since early march is my sometimes girlfriend because she lives with me. I feel extremely isolated!

My steam name is same as here if that works

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Frog Act posted:

hey USF i've been reading your posts in here for ages and i just wanted you to know i and others are certainly rooting for you. any news yet?

I really appreciate that. My job appears to be one of the few exempt from lockdown (online order fulfillment), although continuing weak sales could still see me lose hours.

The issue now is I seem to have developed a serious heart condition in the last three or so days, so the disaster that is 2020 continues. :( Have to wait until the 26th and take an uber out to the edge of the city just to see a cardiologist in person. Had an ECG yesterday and got a text saying to make an appointment to discuss the results. Usually it says no followup necessary. Doc had already confirmed my heart was skipping beats. My grandfather died of a heart attack at age 44 and I'm 40.

I don't have Medicare so it will be expensive, and this could prevent me from renewing my visa in 2023 on its own so things are going great. :(

Oh yeah and because of stage 4 lockdown my apartment completion has been pushed back indefinitely, maybe 2021. By law they had to reduce construction staff by 75%. At this rate I'll be lucky to survive until 2021.

Just can't believe this extra kick in the balls. Otherwise things would be stabilising a little bit right now.

Basically just trying to not scare my wife too much. :( I'm all she has in this country.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Really is fun to be trying to decide if should teach my wife how to live on her own. I basically take care of everything, she is not very good with technical stuff and never lived on her own before she met me so doesn't know how to do the basics like pay bills or even operate the remotes for the heat/AC.

Her incredibly strict/controlling/regressive Indian-African mom disowned her over 10 years ago. Her 82 year old alcoholic workaholic dad cares more about being a landlord than a dad, her only brother barely sends her a three word text every six months (seems borderline autistic) and I was the first person to care about her. Now I may be leaving her early after taking her to the other side of the world. :( She's such a sweet person but didn't have a chance to make friends outside of work yet. Her employers love her and treat her like a daughter but that's all she would have. gently caress. That's more scary to me than dying. My life has always been poo poo but she doesn't deserve this. We were just starting to enjoy life in 2019.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

I haven't posted in this thread in a couple months, but just a general public service announcement for the slim chance someone can benefit from hearing this:

If you've got any sort of mental health issues, including suicidal thoughts, don't loving watch "A Star is Born" without knowing exactly what you're getting into before hand. And even then I wouldn't advise it.

gently caress that poo poo. Feels like it negated like 6 months of progress I had made on myself.

Sudden Loud Noise has issued a correction as of 03:34 on Aug 11, 2020

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

If you've got any sort of mental health issues, including suicidal thoughts, don't loving watch "A Start is Born" without knowing exactly what you're getting into before hand. And even then I wouldn't advise it.

Thanks for the warning. I checked the summary and yeah... sounds about right.

thehandtruck
Mar 5, 2006

the thing about the jews is,
Accidentally running into triggers sucks rear end. Feels like you stepped on a landmine while shopping for ice cream. Probly isn't undoing as much progress as you think but ya it sucks. Thanks for the heads up though, I like sad movies cause they help me cry but put them on kind of a pause during covid.

Panic Restaurant
Jul 19, 2006

:retrogames: :3: :retrogames:

Pork Pro
Ugh, thats awful. :( Personally, Ive decided to take zero shame in checking Doesthedogdie.com before putting on most movies, as it lists out most triggers
so you can at least know what youre getting yourself into.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

It was odd and unexpected because it was the first time that I've ever been really triggered by something. Like it's a sad but fantastic movie, and I've never really been bothered by the general traumatic stuff that occurs in it, but that movie specifically portrayed it in such a way that it hit waaay to close to home. I assume that's how other people struggle with more general traumas, and ugh. I'm sorry for the people that do. That really really sucks.

Sudden Loud Noise has issued a correction as of 03:35 on Aug 11, 2020

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

karma_coma posted:

hey just a reminder, if you want in on this Wednesday send me a steam invite- same name, Adam Jensen av

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler
Trigger warning - suicide
my boyfriend killed himself a couple days ago. he hung himself in my garage and i found his body. i feel numb most of the time but then something will remind me of him and i lose it. i have reached out to my psychiatrist for meds and I'm doing a counseling session on friday. i did some meditation earlier and it helped. I'm also just trying to stay busy. I'm going to fly home to see my family this week and I'm taking time off from work. i wish i had more close friends. i just don't know many people besides my coworkers. they are being very supportive so that's nice. i can barely eat or sleep. it really sucks

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

snip

Crusty Nutsack has issued a correction as of 16:16 on Sep 29, 2021

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Dixville posted:

Trigger warning - suicide
my boyfriend killed himself a couple days ago. he hung himself in my garage and i found his body. i feel numb most of the time but then something will remind me of him and i lose it. i have reached out to my psychiatrist for meds and I'm doing a counseling session on friday. i did some meditation earlier and it helped. I'm also just trying to stay busy. I'm going to fly home to see my family this week and I'm taking time off from work. i wish i had more close friends. i just don't know many people besides my coworkers. they are being very supportive so that's nice. i can barely eat or sleep. it really sucks

Hey, please reach out to CN. She's cool people. If you can't reach out to her or don't get a response, PM me if you just need to vent and talk to someone.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Thanks for supporting each other, y'all. It's what makes this thread go.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Chokes McGee posted:

Thanks for supporting each other, y'all. It's what makes this thread go.

I have my good and bad days. On good days I try to help. On bad I just lay in bed. I'm in the process of getting help for myself.

It's important to reach out though if you can.

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

Thank you so much, all of that is very helpful to me. The feeling of relief is especially something that I've been feeling guilty about. He was a very disturbed person toward the end and part of me feels relief from that going away. But he had talked about leaving anyway! Part of me just doesn't understand why he would do it. Part of me is angry at him for it. These are all feelings i have to work through.

Somebody has issued a correction as of 16:16 on Sep 29, 2021

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Dixville posted:

Thank you so much, all of that is very helpful to me. The feeling of relief is especially something that I've been feeling guilty about. He was a very disturbed person toward the end and part of me feels relief from that going away. But he had talked about leaving anyway! Part of me just doesn't understand why he would do it. Part of me is angry at him for it. These are all feelings i have to work through.

So I'm going to talk about the death of my friend and how I coped or...You know, didn't for much of it. I'll put that in spoilers for the obvious reason. But I'll say this first:

It's okay not to be okay. All of these feelings are going to seem like they're overwhelming. Things will get better. Grieving is a process. It will take time. I'm sorry that you went through that.

So I had a friend. I'll call him J. J was a friend of mine for probably fifteen years. We played a lot of tabletop games together. Very cool and chill person. And then he had a stroke because he treated his body pretty poorly. And for about the next ten years he lived with me, on and off because disability couldn't pay for him to live on his own and because there are many people out there who take advantage of the elderly and infirm.

Now J really didn't have anything to offer except for friendship and some days he wasn't very good at that. Long periods of time alone when roommates abandoned him had made him terminally weird. But he needed help and when I could, I provided it and as a roommate he was extremely low maintenance save for occasionally picking up meds or paying what little money he had to go get snacks. When he moved in with me the first time, I floated his portion of the rent and a bed because he couldn't afford those things up front and I didn't want him to sleep on a foam mattress or whatever. So living with me and another friend of mine was a serious improvement. And because he lived with me rent free near the end of his life, because I'd began a successful writing career, I stopped charging him money. He was able to stack up a decent amount of money from his disability. So he had enough for weed and smokes and snacks because life really couldn't do much more to him. So near the end of his life, it was...Okay. Not great, but tolerable with occasional silver linings.

And then one day he died and I found him on my kitchen floor and he was the first dead person I'd ever seen, much less someone who was very close to me. I didn't really know how to act. I'll spare the details. But I remember talking to my parents and they were on vacation and they detoured to come see me for a while and a while turned into...Well, a long while. But I remember that I had this moment where I was going out to the trash can and I'd been drinking and the stress hit me especially hard. The left side of my face fell and I said gently caress it, even though that was a sign of a stroke. I was that beat down. Turns out it was just Bell's Palsy. No stroke detected. But in that moment I was so demoralized that I didn't go to the hospital until much later. Thankfully I was able to recover after about six months.

I realize now, years later, that I wasn't able to give him a funeral because I was really the only person that took care of him. His daughter came by and stayed with me while she dealt with his burial and that was that. I'd tried to connect with her, but she wasn't close to her dad either and it was the first and likely last time I would ever see her. And after that I basically shut down for a few months.

When I get some Vernor's though, which was his favorite drink since he was an Ohio boy, I pour some out for him. And I was lucky enough to have people around me who helped me out, even months and months later, when I really started processing the grief. That was about at the three month mark. But for the first few months I was...Not really on autopilot, but still profoundly hosed up by the experience. Disconnected maybe. And I only reconnected with life after a few months.

These days, when I think about him, I try to think about the good times. His end of life was a punctuation mark, but he'd spent 65 years of living before that and a chunk of that had been with me and I like to think that I'd made that chunk better than if I'd not been there.

Death is awful. I hope that you're okay. Please reach out to people that you feel like you can trust so you can get the care that you need.

Ice Phisherman has issued a correction as of 12:22 on Aug 11, 2020

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Dixville posted:

Sending much love.

Crusty Nutsack has issued a correction as of 16:17 on Sep 29, 2021

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~
i'm having bad period cramps, i got fired from my temp job after working there for 6 days, and kamala is the dem vp candidate.

what a lovely loving tuesday

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Everything sucks and at this point I wish I were just a dumb chud thoughtlessly barreling through life without giving a gently caress about anything because the only things that will ever succeed are racism and money

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Is there any way to find a therapist who isn't theistic? Every single one I've ever met believes in some sort of diety. How am I supposed to trust someone to understand what I'm saying if they still believe in Santa?

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

In my experience, if they are a good therapist their stance regarding diety shouldn't have any part to play in therapy. But I have heard horror stories of religious affiliated therapists that make it part of treatment. I would just make sure that in your introductory conversation you make it clear that you are not theistic and do not want any sort of theism to be part of your therapy.

As for how you can trust them if they believe in a diety: For myself, therapy comes down to accepting the fact that I cannot control everything in life. And I need to be okay with that. The question of "Well then does a diety control the stuff that I don't?!" Isn't important to my treatment, so it is never discussed.

I had a surgery and know for a fact that the surgeon prayed to have a good surgery before operating on me. But he didn't tell me to pray as part of my recovery so I really don't give a poo poo what he believes.

Sudden Loud Noise has issued a correction as of 14:13 on Aug 12, 2020

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

In my experience, if they are a good therapist their stance regarding diety shouldn't have any part to play in therapy. But I have heard horror stories of religious affiliated therapists that make it part of treatment. I would just make sure that in your introductory conversation you make it clear that you are not theistic and do not want any sort of theism to be part of your therapy.

it's still a nice conversation to have

I absolutely do not trust the holy and never will, they are adept liars and their holy book is more important to them than my gay life, growing up around extremely religious people in Laramie taught me that much. I'm not going to trust any aspect of my health to someone like that. They will choose their faith over my life if it is even a slightly difficult choice for them.

If you are able to get into see therapists, bring it up immediately. They might give an answer that you don't like as far as being religious. Listen to how they answer it. If you get any alarm bells at all from their answer, leave.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

I simply don't trust the decision making skills and logical abilities of anyone who believes in things without any evidence.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

No. 6 posted:

I simply don't trust the decision making skills and logical abilities of anyone who believes in things without any evidence.

This is completely reasonable imo.

I dunno if my last therapist is religious but she was so extremely optimistic about everything that it came across as naive.

Edit: just remembered that one of the things she poo poo'd was my fear of a recession, global event or health issue making it difficult to renew my five year visa. lol

UnfortunateSexFart has issued a correction as of 14:58 on Aug 12, 2020

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
The second therapist I saw seemed alright, until it turned out that she believed in magic. She literally believed that you could make objects appear just by thinking about it.

I told her that I'd forgotten to bring a pen for my session notebook, but when I was in the parking lot I looked down and found a pen right at my feet. She said I made the pen appear because I wanted one. At first I thought she was speaking metaphorically, and that I'd been subconsciously looking for a pen, but no. She clarified that it straight up materialized.

That was the last time I had a session with her.

turd in my singlet
Jul 5, 2008

DO ALL DA WORK

WIT YA NECK

*heavy metal music playing*
Nap Ghost
I've had some remarkably incompetent therapists but lol drat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

One of my former therapists was a specialist in gifted children/adults and once asked me if I had paranormal powers since a lot of gifted people have them and the previous day I mistook the appointment date and came to her place when she wasnt home and she said that she had a feeling I was at her place and thus believed I sent a message. I told her to never mention this topic again other wise Id stop the sessions. In hindsight I should have done so right away (I did like her as a person but our sessions started going in circles).