Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Bakeneko posted:

I think they’re probably going to stick with giving us a choice of gender for the protagonist, at least for the main games. They’ve been moving in a more RPG-like direction over the past few installments, and that’s a staple of western RPG design.

i am ok with that. i am more curious about settings than characters at this point anyway. i assume next one will be rome again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i am ok with that. i am more curious about settings than characters at this point anyway. i assume next one will be rome again.

I don't think they'll return to something they've already done TBH. Maybe the same character at some point but not the same setting.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

make the WW1 russia game like that one AC comic, cowards

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
Wish they'd do India in a proper AC game (from the way past not colonial or Alexandrian times if possible)

Something involving the Maya or Inca pre-colonization would be cool too

I understand those places have less developed histories than the settings we have gotten due to various factors but it's not like they can't make poo poo up

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

I don't think they'll return to something they've already done TBH. Maybe the same character at some point but not the same setting.

maybe. i could see maybe imperial rome at some point. maybe china or japan too. idk

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
rio de janiero

either for AC or GTA

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
It's kinda funny that A.C put it off so long that it sounds like Ghost of Tsushima ate its lunch on the historical open world in Japan front.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

JustaDamnFool posted:

It's kinda funny that A.C put it off so long that it sounds like Ghost of Tsushima ate its lunch on the historical open world in Japan front.

I seem to recall Ubisoft was saying from very early on "We will not be doing anything in AC with feudal Japan, it's been done too much".

But then again, they were also going to do one game in each setting and jump all around history, and then we pretty much immediately got like, what, 8 Ezio games?

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

They harvest the DNA of a time traveler from an apocalyptic future you play them to figure out what happened to the world. They can use destroyed version of some famous modern city, Horizon Zero Creed.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

JustaDamnFool posted:

Probably for the best, looks like Ghost handled the setting way better than ubisoft probably would have.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Again, I wouldn't have complained about a new adventure with Kass. You could even do other time periods

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Crappy Jack posted:

But then again, they were also going to do one game in each setting and jump all around history, and then we pretty much immediately got like, what, 8 Ezio games?

this is fine though because Ezio rules

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Rinkles posted:

Again, I wouldn't have complained about a new adventure with Kass. You could even do other time periods

The challenge of the game will be to never let go of the left trigger for more than three seconds or you drop the staff and die

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

My prediction at the start of Odyssey was that Kass would become Alexander the Great and it's too stupid and too good of an idea to let die.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Crappy Jack posted:

I seem to recall Ubisoft was saying from very early on "We will not be doing anything in AC with feudal Japan, it's been done too much".

I mean, 3, and the third jumping over to Constantinople was enough of a shift for me, but whatever.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

exquisite tea posted:

My prediction at the start of Odyssey was that Kass would become Alexander the Great and it's too stupid and too good of an idea to let die.

Canonically I don't think there's anything in the game that establishes this doesn't happen so it's fair game

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Aya and Bayek even make kind of a big deal of seeing Alexander’s tomb. Though that may have been for Caesar?

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Sandwolf posted:

Aya and Bayek even make kind of a big deal of seeing Alexander’s tomb. Though that may have been for Caesar?

That could be anybody in there :tinfoil:

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Get ready, friends.

https://twitter.com/assassinscreed/status/1290316643109933062?s=21

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 20 days!
I'ma collect all them sweet kitties :kimchi:

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
recruit all cats for my raids and I end up just rowing my longboat in circles

TheTrend
Feb 4, 2005
I have a descriminating toe

Capn Beeb posted:

I'ma collect all them sweet kitties :kimchi:

Sorry by collecting and petting cats you support rapists.

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

Well that settles it: guaranteed GOTY for me. The only way that could get any better is if they found a way to give you a sabretooth tiger mount like in Far Cry Primal.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

If only you could give them little viking helmets. :3:

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Ohh I love that little cat bounce out of Eivor's arms. Honestly cats seem to be a pretty big part of the game

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

thats a big kitty. wish i had a cat again irl.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slF6NyI6ki8&fbclid=IwAR3QnAwyq0fkkOMUrTgo-1m6puR-SUuxk5qIcsXLXfgJNLb26l2k9y4Dafk

the released the CGI trailer again with lady eivore.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

And like noted in the description, they released a second soundtrack EP. This one is called The Raven's Saga.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgKr2c2ZebM

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
murder sim 2020 looking reeeeeeaaaaalll fuckin sick

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Started playing Origins and I love the new movement controls. Bayek feels way more fast and lithe than previous protagonists. Definitely my favorite game of the series so far.

I guess my ranking would be: Origins, Black Flag, Brotherhood, Syndicate and the rest.

It was funny/odd how after I got the hidden blade I spent a good while just doing random stuff, not going to the main mission and assassinating mooks without a problem, but as soon as I wanted to kill the guy in the baths, suddenly the blade wouldn't work unless you mutilate yourself.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

If you like Origins, Odyssey improves on literally everything, including the protagonist and especially the combat.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

I wonder if you get invulnerability frames from petting cats. Otherwise I'm going to die for so many fluffy reasons.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

bike tory posted:

If you like Origins, Odyssey improves on literally everything, including the protagonist and especially the combat.

disagree on the protag and story and setting but everything else is much better in Odyssey, and Valhalla seems to be evolving on that.

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004
All my friends got me for my birthday was this stupid custom title. Fuck my friends.

bike tory posted:

Odyssey only has half a story and the only thing that saves its protagonist is Kassandra's voice actress because Bayek is a much better written character.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
Yea I liked Kass and I'm a sucker for Ancient Greece, but Bayek is easily the best protag apart from Ezio. He also has by far the most :black101: introduction of any of them.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

Yea I liked Kass and I'm a sucker for Ancient Greece, but Bayek is easily the best protag apart from Ezio. He also has by far the most :black101: introduction of any of them.

That knife in the mask thing was so good

Bayek really strikes the best balance between likable dad who is also a religious zealot who will kill an entire fort full of men in a cold rage because they beat up some farmers

By contrast both Odyssey PCs kinda have this Whedonesque nonchalance about everything that always gives me a 'wait the characters dont even care about this nor do they have any actual stake in this war, why am I raiding this athenian fort again' vibe which may be why I've never made it to the end :shrug:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The nonchalance is the best part of Kassandra's character because it also reflects my own opinion of Assassin's Creed lore.

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012
I like how they made a game called Origins and then the very next game is set before it.

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004
All my friends got me for my birthday was this stupid custom title. Fuck my friends.

bentacos posted:

I like how they made a game called Origins and then the very next game is set before it.

It's the origins of the Assassin's order.

In the overarching story, Odyssey only really exists to show us Atlantis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

exquisite tea posted:

The nonchalance is the best part of Kassandra's character because it also reflects my own opinion of Assassin's Creed lore.

it also helps address the perennial open world problem of "the world is about to end but yes, weary villager, I would love to collect five potatoes for you"