Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Wasn't that also the writing process behind Lost?

"You'll never guess what's really going on!"
"Are they in purgatory?"
" Uhhh.... No. No, totally not. "

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The problem is the need to be the smartest person in the universe and seething, frothing contempt for the audience that the creative process requires engaging

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The problem is the need to be the smartest person in the universe and seething, frothing contempt for the audience that the creative process requires engaging

But if they don't have a mystery box to keep people engaged, however will they keep the audience tuning in for every episode to find out what's inside? They might actually have to use other things like plot and character development!

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009

The "back to school" ad campaign of a Spanish department store.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Neddy Seagoon posted:

But if they don't have a mystery box to keep people engaged, however will they keep the audience tuning in for every episode to find out what's inside? They might actually have to use other things like plot and character development!
I'm one of those militant "no spoilers!!!" nerds and even I don't care if I read a guess which ends up being right.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

Elfface posted:

Wasn't that also the writing process behind Lost?

"You'll never guess what's really going on!"
"Are they in purgatory?"
" Uhhh.... No. No, totally not. "

Rolling with that gave us Life on Mars, so joke's on them.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

https://i.imgur.com/jmImcC0.mp4

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Mauser posted:

Did she actually name the African school Uagadou? Does that mean it's in Burkina Faso and they teach all their classes in French? Or maybe one of the hundreds of languages in West Africa?

You're thinking of Uagadougou, Uagadou was was a kingdom based out what would become Ghana that ruled over most of western Africa. It got kind of mythologized by a British writer turning it into a kinf of African Camelot.

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

You're thinking of Uagadougou, Uagadou was was a kingdom based out what would become Ghana that ruled over most of western Africa. It got kind of mythologized by a British writer turning it into a kinf of African Camelot.

well given that she just named the japanese one magic place and ran it through google translate I think any artistry at all should be appreciated by the very talented billionaire terf

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

I enjoy movies more if I can read the full Wikipedia plot summary first

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I do hear GRRM has among other issues tried so hard to subvert expectations that he's written himself into a corner because he has no idea what to do next and probably can't remember half the plot points by now

i don't think it's the case with GRRM, rather i think he just ended up losing control of his own narrative as he indulgently tried to expand the trilogy into a larger epic narrative due to hot sales, then introduced too many characters and plot lines such that the whole story is an unfixable clusterfuck

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Megillah Gorilla posted:

So tired of people trying to do this. "Oh no, the infinite monkeys on Reddit guessed the big gimmick, better throw everything into the trash and push out some random garbage."

If people have used what is in your books/show to extrapolate where it's going, that means you've done something right. So what if a few internet nerds get to crow about how they "called it"? 99% of your audience will have never heard of them and will enjoy what you're making.

It's especially stupid because we already have a literary tool specifically for dealing with this: the red herring. If your audience has a pretty good guess about what the big upcoming twist that you've been building towards is, then just throw in some misinformation to throw them off. Have them suddenly start going "wait, poo poo, this changes everything" and making new theories. Then by the time you get to the big twist they're thrown off twice over and you don't have to compromise the cool plot you wanted to do. It's incredible that so many writers are more interested in antagonizing their readers than having the confidence to stick to a good narrative they already made

TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

I can't stop giggling irl

This might be avatar potential

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

HAP

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

I think this illustrates the teacher's PoV quite nicely.

"Lets open up schools until everyone has the 'rona, doesn't matter that we successfully taught entire semester online and there still is no medicine or vaccination against it. Besides it mostly kills and cripples the older people, like teachers so gently caress them".

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

I don't know why a song of ice and fire has to be so complicated. Just start writing the final war between the bad guys and the good guys

That's what lord of the rings did. Just do that

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Chard posted:

in awe of this thick frog's horny energy
That's some hardcore bondage

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

A Feast for Crows and especially A Dance with Dragons really just got to be too much story and locations and characters and it all becomes hazy and when there’s a decade between books most people are gonna forget lots of the little character stuff and just remember the big parts so what should be telling or an important bit of characterization isn’t because who is gonna reread a 800 page book again?

Although his last book about the history of Westeros which did nothing to advance the GoT plot was pretty good and the fact he spent time writing it instead of actually finishing the series is funny

orange sky
May 7, 2007

I think he needs to one up everyone's expectations and write a truly crazy twist into it, bigger than Rhaegar + Lyanna, which everyone already knows about (and the show coopted). And my guess is he can't find a way to untangle the huge weave he's created.

I have to be honest, I bought the first edition of ADWD, was very excited to read it, and found it utterly boring. Just a ton of boring stuff happening to boring characters I don't care about. Nothing like the first ones.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

GRRM is in his early 70s and morbidly obese. Don't get too attached to the idea that he's going to finish the series.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

It'll be fun to see what Sanderson can do with it once GRRM dies

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

ultrafilter posted:

GRRM is in his early 70s and morbidly obese. Don't get too attached to the idea that he's going to finish the series.

Also i think he has explicitly said there will absilutely not be a Robert Jordan->Brandon Sanderson style handoff when he dies.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Us Gamers, Huh!

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
https://i.imgur.com/lgX6UTw.mp4

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

The twist is that the monsters was us all along

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

The last books should just be an extremely faithful novelization of the TV series.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Johnny Aztec posted:

I will, to my dying breath, defend Howard the Duck. :colbert:

It's surprising that the most problematic part of Howard the Duck ended up being Jeffery Jones.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Moon Slayer posted:

The last books should just be an extremely faithful novelization of the TV series.

I would read the trash novel version of GoT. Some of my favorite reads as a kid were poo poo like this:

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat

Come eat flies, m’lord

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

LifeSunDeath posted:

I would read the trash novel version of GoT. Some of my favorite reads as a kid were poo poo like this:

Oh man, that brings back memories. I think that author had some hosed up sexual kinks in that series.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Johnny Aztec posted:

I will, to my dying breath, defend Howard the Duck. :colbert:

Howard the Duck brought us HELLCOW so he's cool.

Never seen the movie though.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
Howard and Lea Thompson gently caress.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Kit Walker posted:

It's especially stupid because we already have a literary tool specifically for dealing with this: the red herring. If your audience has a pretty good guess about what the big upcoming twist that you've been building towards is, then just throw in some misinformation to throw them off. Have them suddenly start going "wait, poo poo, this changes everything" and making new theories. Then by the time you get to the big twist they're thrown off twice over and you don't have to compromise the cool plot you wanted to do. It's incredible that so many writers are more interested in antagonizing their readers than having the confidence to stick to a good narrative they already made

Peak Agents of SHIELD was great at throwing head-fakes and managed to keep it up for an entire season at one point.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

dialhforhero posted:

Howard and Lea Thompson gently caress.

I think I blocked out the sexy parts of this movie...like wtf. Also oddly, her husband IRL is named Howard. wtf.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

LifeSunDeath posted:

I think I blocked out the sexy parts of this movie...like wtf. Also oddly, her husband IRL is named Howard. wtf.

What bugs me about the cinematic Howard the Duck is his little human eyes. He somehow manages to look like Harlan Ellison.

Seriously, try and unsee it.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

LifeSunDeath posted:

This movie had a topless duck scene. I'm not joking

:nws:duck boobs

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I'm disappointed that they didn't keep that design for the MCU. It was the very first feature-length marvel movie, and it was made by the star wars man! Show some loving respect

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

RandomFerret posted:

I'm disappointed that they didn't keep that design for the MCU. It was the very first feature-length marvel movie

The hell it was.