Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I decided to log back into RDR: Online for the first time in months and had a decent enough time killing deer and running back to the butcher. Other than that though I have no idea what I should be doing though and also I'm loving baffled that there's apparently no passive mode equivalent. I really love how every time I go to a town there's murderous dickheads executing everyone and generally making it a pain in the rear end to do anything other than drop off some hide and gtfo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Shrecknet posted:

Abandon Ship

From what I've seen in videos, it isn't gonna let up on stamping your face in. :v:

Every time people talk about some age of sail or pirate game I just think about how all I lust for is a modernized Sid Meier's Pirates!

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Every time people talk about some age of sail or pirate game I just think about how all I lust for is a modernized Sid Meier's Pirates!
https://store.steampowered.com/app/223330/Sea_Dogs_To_Each_His_Own__Pirate_Open_World_RPG/

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Be brave, you son of a bitches!

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Mischievous Mink posted:

Oh my, never knew this was a thing. That's so much more what I'm into than the online mode of real Tarkov.
:same: I love Tarkov but I find getting wrecked by real people way too stressful so this sounds perfect for me

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

StrixNebulosa posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/newshub/app/551620/view/2755593078928295795

Approaching Infinity sells better for 10$ on steam instead of for 40$ on some random publisher website, who knew?

So is this actually any good? I’ve never heard of it before but it sounds up my alley.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

I keep hearing contradictory things about Wurm Online/Unlimited: I've read a bunch of reviews that go "Yeah it looks like crap and the UX sucks, but it's also astonishingly deep once you figure out wtf to do," and a bunch more that go "This is nothing but watching a bar fill for 1,000 hours and most of the positive reviews are from people who started playing as teens and have tons of nostalgia for it."

So is it worth looking at now, or do the cons outweigh the pros? (I ran around in the f2p part of Online for an hour or two and the jankiness + 90s aesthetic didn't throw me, although oh my god that awful menu interface.)

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

Insert name here posted:

:same: I love Tarkov but I find getting wrecked by real people way too stressful so this sounds perfect for me
I got it working, it doesn't seem too buggy or anything yet. Man, I hope people can mod Stalker 2 to have an inventory system like Tarkov's. I love magazine management and having to inspect items and search backpacks and vests and it'd be so scary to worry about a bloodsucker getting you while you're picking through someone's bandolier of tourist delight tins. Wouldn't be able to put down a game like that.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Xaris posted:

This was pretty much already answered by ShootaBoy and Fallom andthe answer is no, it's like using a gun buttstroke in Halo or something, not what you should be doing nor was it intended to be an important combat tool. However, I do want to make one key non-spoiler side note. Rush to Meridian as soon as you can and buy the purple bow ASAP. Don't spend time dicking around doing open-world camps and stuff until you do that. It doesn't take long and it vastly makes the gameplay a fuckton better. You can easily spend a lot of time meandering around early with gimpy incomplete tools burning yourself out not 'feeling it' and it doesn't give you much cool poo poo or traps to work with until you can actually get the purple bow and the gameplay really opens up by several orders of magnitude. l ike i was genuinely about ready to give up the game and was kicking myself for not doing it sooner because wowza it makes a big loving difference.

the crafting/RPG loot poo poo is the worst part about the game and felt very tacked on (probably because it was).

WHICH purple bow? Hunter, war, sharpcast, something else?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I've played Horizon a whole bunch of times and I can tell you that the weapon tiers barely matter at all besides the new effects they give you. I can and have done every encounter in the game with blue tier weapons, so the "only purple stuff matters" is completely false. Loot is actually the least important aspect of the game when it comes to killing the robots since the damage increase isn't incredibly significant.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
The major FF XIV patch finally streamlining the ARR main quest and extending the free trial all the way through the first expansion amongst other things appears to be out today, for anyone's who's been waiting for that before wanting to give the game a shot.

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Sab669 posted:

I'm a big fan of the Siralim games. Dragon Warrior Monster / Pokemon style "Build a Party" where every single monster has a unique passive trait that really mixes up how your party compliments each other. Virtually no real story to speak of, so just get the latest on ( Siralim 3). Siralim Ultimate, which makes some huge improvements to the game, is due out later this year / early next.

They're great for just picking up, grind a few levels, put it back down. The series is also available on multiple platforms and you can share saves across PC and Mobile, so it's fun to play quickly on the go, too.

Literally playing Ultimate right now (it's early alpha though). Beta will probably be Sept and early access on steam nov? Release is sometime 2021.

Siralim games are also a fair bit cheaper on mobile (because the competition is tougher price wise), if you aren't opposed to it

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
Thanks for letting us know. I'll need to tire myself out on PSO2 first before jumping in on that one due to space. Once these next gen video cards come out, I can figure out my upgrade budget finally.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Ciaphas posted:

WHICH purple bow? Hunter, war, sharpcast, something else?

Any of them were fine, it's mostly getting the 4-slots of different traps/arrow effects that vastly make combat way way more engaging and, for lack of better word, 'thoughtful'. Sharpshot was generally the 'best' iirc but the important thing is getting those 4 tiers of element/traps in your wheel so you can lay down shock lines, armor breaking, stuns, etc.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Xaris posted:

the crafting/RPG loot poo poo is the worst part about the game and felt very tacked on (probably because it was).

From what I remember of crafting in HZD: unless it’s a very high tier material that you haven’t used yet, or something you need right now, keep a single stack of common resources and sell the rest. There is no shortage of green and blue stuff, but there is a shortage of storage space.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Dackel posted:

Literally playing Ultimate right now (it's early alpha though). Beta will probably be Sept and early access on steam nov? Release is sometime 2021.

Siralim games are also a fair bit cheaper on mobile (because the competition is tougher price wise), if you aren't opposed to it

:hfive: Siralim Ultimate Kickstarter buddy. What spec(s) are you playing?

I started Tribalist but I can't find any dudes of the same class, so I started a....something...different last night, honestly can't remember which. I'm trying out Defiler now, it's pretty cool.

I suspect the poop sockers will only really go for the hyper aggro specs that just let you murder everything like Hell Knight that gets Crit bonuses or whatever, as opposed to that one that buffs your dudes the longer a fight goes on but it's all still cool to me

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Is anyone gonna try the HELLRAID expansion for Dying Light in two days? I'm sad that the original game never got off the ground but it's cool that it at least gets to live on in some form here. I wish it was standalone however since I have no other interest in Dying Light.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Risk of Rain 2 just dropped their 1.0 patch and is now out of early access. If you haven't played since it made a splash last spring they've pretty much doubled the initial amount of content. Its well worth $20 and is the best co-op roguelike game out there right now imo

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Omi no Kami posted:

I keep hearing contradictory things about Wurm Online/Unlimited: I've read a bunch of reviews that go "Yeah it looks like crap and the UX sucks, but it's also astonishingly deep once you figure out wtf to do," and a bunch more that go "This is nothing but watching a bar fill for 1,000 hours and most of the positive reviews are from people who started playing as teens and have tons of nostalgia for it."

So is it worth looking at now, or do the cons outweigh the pros? (I ran around in the f2p part of Online for an hour or two and the jankiness + 90s aesthetic didn't throw me, although oh my god that awful menu interface.)

I have a hunch that you won't find too many people who have played it (besides me :v:), though I think there was a goon village at some point.

But as I said, yes it's 1000 hours of a progress bar but at the end you will have transformed a part of the game's world for years to come. I've done road construction to connect settlements through difficult terrain and those roads are still being used by other players years later. A few months ago I sailed through a canal I helped build a decade ago.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

Mokinokaro posted:

Yeah it's a shame that Idea Factory ports are usually so rough because that is genuinely a decent game from Compile Heart.

They actually put a lot of effort into making what is mostly a horror game/visual novel despite the trapped in an MMO plot.

I put it on the playstation store wishlist, and put the refund moneys towards mistover, which looked the most interesting when I searched Anime/RPG/Cute for a replacement game.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Sab669 posted:

As someone who liked all three games but never got far in the 3rd one, should I keep going on that or should I jump onto Ultimate?

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Johnny Aztec posted:

Would this be an okay place to ask for game recommendations on steam?

I just want light games that I can jump into for an hour or two, at a time. no RTS or colony builders. I play Oxygen Not included, and bam 6-8 hours have went by without me noticing.

give these a try

Bad Mojo Redux - $5.99 - mid 90's FMV adventure game inspired by Kafka
Battle Ranch: Pigs vs Plants - $1.99 - plants vs zombies with the serial numbers filed off. this is not a bad thing
Desktop Dungeons - $14.99 - puzzle game disguised as a roguelike
Gurumin: A Monstrous Adventure - $9.99 - charming action-RPG
Neon Chrome - $14.99 - cyberpunk top-down mayhem
Super House of Dead Ninjas - $6.99 - fast-paced action arcade homage to the 16-bit era
Thumper - $19.99 - the only way humanity can parse the endless battle between space beetles and cosmic horrors is via a rhythm game
Ziggurat - $14.99 - first-person action roguelite

--------

Sab669 posted:

Siralim Ultimate

Zetsubou-san fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Aug 11, 2020

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3
Risk of Rain 2 is now 1.0

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

exquisite tea posted:

Is anyone gonna try the HELLRAID expansion for Dying Light in two days? I'm sad that the original game never got off the ground but it's cool that it at least gets to live on in some form here. I wish it was standalone however since I have no other interest in Dying Light.

I probably will since I picked up Dying Light in the july sale and it's currently installed.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

exquisite tea posted:

I might be - I like Dying Light enough besides the amount of map back-and-forth, and keep meaning to finish it

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Morter posted:

As someone who liked all three games but never got far in the 3rd one, should I keep going on that or should I jump onto Ultimate?

I'd say jump on the Ultimate wagon if you can. There are 15 specs in the game now (and like 10 more from Kickstarter Stretch Goals?) with very flavorful perks. Also you can Fuse monsters together, resulting in a creature that has both parents' Traits, which really opens your party composition up to some insane combinations. Also the UI has been really modernized with colored text and images/icons for many things.

3 was definitely "More the same but better" and while that's true of Ultimate, just how much polish and love has been put into this is vastly greater than the improvements from 1 to 2, or 2 to 3.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

exquisite tea posted:

Nah, absolutely not. It doesn't look fun, and I'm a still a bit disappointed about the whole Hellraid story since it could've been a fun game in itself. It's concept doesn't really fit into the DL2 world. Also played through DL now 3 times and the game just has worn off entirely. Core gameplay is good and I'm really looking forward to DL2 but probably won't be touching the first one again.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

I've already played that, and I mean more modern than that. :v: Maybe less jank too.

Thanks for trying though :shobon:, and it seems at least one other person is interested in it so thats good!

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

exquisite tea posted:

The beta was apparently kind of a mess from what I heard: it's just a bunch of reskinned enemies, weapons, and it's very short.

But, we'll see... they delayed it due to feedback so maybe it'll actually be good!

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Remember Pony Island? The developer has a new game coming out next year. (Might be too spoilerific if you want to go in blind, though)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70QOKsr27Po

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1092790/Inscryption/

Quill
Jan 19, 2004

Deakul posted:

The beta was apparently kind of a mess from what I heard: it's just a bunch of reskinned enemies, weapons, and it's very short.

But, we'll see... they delayed it due to feedback so maybe it'll actually be good!

Yeah, things might improve, but I don't believe in miracles and they have a schedule to keep. It doesn't look promising. For a DLC it's a hard sell, even if the price is just 10€.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

Shrecknet posted:

Abandon Ship is pretty much a perfectly adequate Age of Sail remake of FTL, with a dash of cultists and :krakken: mixed in.

I don't need to know anything else, I'm going in otherwise blind. You should earn sales commission.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

credburn posted:

I don't need to know anything else, I'm going in otherwise blind. You should earn sales commission.
I tried it and really wasn't fond of the graphics. FTL's graphics are very simple and contrasting so it's extremely easy to differentiate between objects, crew, weapons... You can just look at a ship and be able to tell what it's gonna throw at you. Abandon ship looks and plays a lot more chaotic.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Aug 11, 2020

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Sab669 posted:

I started Tribalist but I can't find any dudes of the same class, so I started a....something...different last night, honestly can't remember which. I'm trying out Defiler now, it's pretty cool.

I suspect the poop sockers will only really go for the hyper aggro specs that just let you murder everything like Hell Knight that gets Crit bonuses or whatever, as opposed to that one that buffs your dudes the longer a fight goes on but it's all still cool to me

I went Cabalist and it's been pretty fun. It takes a while to get going with class defining perks. Really want to try out more specs like Necromancer or Trickster, but we'll see when I have time to unlock those. Unless I make a new save

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Reminder: I am Russian bot distributing Russian agitprop
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxdWSyoBcH0

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

ymgve posted:

Remember Pony Island? The developer has a new game coming out next year. (Might be too spoilerific if you want to go in blind, though)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70QOKsr27Po

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1092790/Inscryption/

This is an expansion of a Ludum Dare entry they made that was sick as hell, so I'm really looking forward to this.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I've played death stranding for 40 hours now and I'm really impressed with the port on my system. I started playing the day it came out, 0 crashes, 0 weird technical problems, 0 bugs, it worked with my PS4 controller out of the box and has PS4 button icons, it even has an option for the motion controls for BB. sometimes it seems like the frame rate is not 60 but I haven't bothered to look at a number to confirm, it's usually fine. Feels like almost no games of this size ever have this "everything just works" experience anymore so they really knocked this port out of the park.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
So apparently it's nothing new to the series but Forza Horizon 3 will be completely delisted soon? https://www.pcgamer.com/forza-horizon-3-will-no-longer-be-available-to-purchase-after-september-27/#comment-jump

This is...utterly bizarre to me. So the only way to play this game if you missed your window will be to pirate it then? :psyduck:

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Mordja posted:

So apparently it's nothing new to the series but Forza Horizon 3 will be completely delisted soon? https://www.pcgamer.com/forza-horizon-3-will-no-longer-be-available-to-purchase-after-september-27/#comment-jump

This is...utterly bizarre to me. So the only way to play this game if you missed your window will be to pirate it then? :psyduck:

Music rights be like that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

kirbysuperstar posted:

Music rights be like that

This is something I was thinking about recently and how it's only really become an issue with digital distribution. It used to be that the music rights were negotiated for a little while, the game was made, it had its print run, and then it was done and dusted. The agreement expires silently some time later, but the game is made and printed and exists as-is. Now, a lot of games don't even have print runs, and remain on sale for a lot longer than they used to; long enough for those music rights to expire, at which point either the game gets delisted or the Vice City scenario happens where the game remains but its OST is haphazardly torn out.