Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Chillbro Baggins posted:

Is there an AI Discord server? I have a 2003 cop car with a bad ECU (I assume, replaced all the plugs and coils to no effect, it was an acting V6 when I last drove it 3 years ago.) I can now afford to fix it. Needs a battery, brain box, new gas, anything I'm missing? Do I need the paperwork to renew the long-lapsed Texas registration, of can they look it up from the license plate?

There's a slack server
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3929482

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
I just bought an 04 Tacoma, the previous owner appears to have cared more about aesthetics than practical concerns. It's got some nice douchy rims, decent tires and a what looks like a '3″ FRONT / 2″ REAR SPLIT SPACER LIFT SYSTEM' lift, but I did a full oil change today and the poo poo that drained out of the rear diff was black tar. Probably never changed? Anyway, in addition to swapping out belts/fluids/filters etc the front shocks are a bit bouncy and rusting out so I want to replace them. I've never had to deal with shocks or a lifted truck before, and it's hard to read what the specs on the existing shocks are. I'll be using it for backcountry work and pleasure on some lovely roads so need something decent at least. How do I figure out what I need? Is there a thread/effortpost on shocks here?

E: figured out what lift previous owner put in.

EE: So more reading indicates spacers are basically raise up giving better clearance but aren't great for off road/ rough forestry roads? I might be better off with an adjustable strut kit, which is going to be pricey? gently caress.

Outrail fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Aug 9, 2020

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Chillbro Baggins posted:

Is there an AI Discord server? I have a 2003 cop car with a bad ECU (I assume, replaced all the plugs and coils to no effect, it was an acting V6 when I last drove it 3 years ago.) I can now afford to fix it. Needs a battery, brain box, new gas, anything I'm missing? Do I need the paperwork to renew the long-lapsed Texas registration, of can they look it up from the license plate?

No offense but sounds like it's missing a proper diagnosis before swapping the ECU.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

spankmeister posted:

No offense but sounds like it's missing a proper diagnosis before swapping the ECU.

Seconding this. "brain boxes" aka PCMs generally do not fail.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I think there are a few cars that are actually known to. The good news is a Crown Vic ECU shouldn't be expensive, there have to be tons of them.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Charles posted:

I think there are a few cars that are actually known to. The good news is a Crown Vic ECU shouldn't be expensive, there have to be tons of them.

Yeah, off hand, 80s Hondas, some toyotas of that vintage and capacitor failures, early 24Valve cummins engines with corrupting the rom, Dodge 4.7s that wouldn't communicate over OBD with scan tools or smog machines requiring a new pcm, 2.4 caravans on the ignition coil drivers, and 80s through SAGEMS british poo poo and non conformal coated pcbs, caps, and numerous other stupid nagging problems.

I've seen crown vics with well over 500k miles on the original pcm. Shotgun parts at it or do proper diagnostics into why it's not working.

cursedshitbox fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Aug 9, 2020

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Charles posted:

They can and do fail sometimes but the diagnostic process of "swapped the coils and plugs welp must be the ECU" leaves a lot to be desired.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

spankmeister posted:

They can and do fail sometimes but the diagnostic process of "swapped the coils and plugs welp must be the ECU" leaves a lot to be desired.

Oh yeah I agree. Didn't mean to sound differently

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

cursedshitbox posted:

Seconding this. "brain boxes" aka PCMs generally do not fail.

And when you suspect they have you open them up. They either smell like fire and have a burnt spot, have bulged caps that are obviously bad or have water in them or the telltale stains that they had been wet. These scenarios cover probably 99% of all ECU failures, and you can figure them all out with a screwdriver, your nose and your eyes.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Were there any they suffered from the "capacitor plague" of the 2000s? I don't think I've heard of any. Automakers must have not used those suppliers.

MasterOSkillio
Aug 27, 2003
Anyone know where I can get a decent quality re manufactured or, dare I say it new, rack and pinion for my 95 240sx? Recently mine started leaking and I don't have the space/equipment to do a rebuild, even if I could find the parts. I am worried about getting a crap unit and having a leaks or other issues down the road. The car has 200k miles on it and I think the rack in it now is OEM. I have had it since 2003, so I am not sure if it was replaced before I owned the car.

I love my 240, but it;s gone form being able to get an abundance of stupid cheap parts, to me having a really tough time finding any. I would be cool with even a mom and pop rebuild shop that has a good reputation.

MasterOSkillio fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Aug 9, 2020

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Charles posted:

Were there any they suffered from the "capacitor plague" of the 2000s? I don't think I've heard of any. Automakers must have not used those suppliers.

I have absolutely replaced caps from late 90s/2000s stuff in at least Bosch ECUs. Probably more than that, but I can't recall off the top of my head. Not at a rate of the impacted Taiwanese manufactured ones, so they probably weren't using those manufacturers. But even outside of the cap plague, these thing have and will continue to happen. Electrolytic capacitors always have had this failure mode, and with poor handling or manufacturing defects you're going to see some amount of them go bad prematurely.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I've never owned a Honda or other econobox but now might have a chance to get a cheap or even free mk1 Honda Jazz/Fit with like 120k miles. Anything specific I should be concerned about in terms of catastrophic issues? It's really intended as a backup for when I repaint my Miata and for my parents to use until for a bit I use it in Mongol Rally or something, so cosmetic stuff or gadgets don't matter.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
I bought a 996 Carrera 4 about a month ago - staggered tires. It had been sitting for quite a while on Toyo Proxies - the fronts were 10 years old and the rears were 4 years old. The car had some vibration around 70 mph which I attributed to flat spotting.

I ordered a set of Pilot Sport All Season 4s and kept driving the car for 3 weeks while I waited for them to arrive. The vibration slowly dissipated; I wondered if the flat spots were wearing out back to even tread over the 1000 miles or so I drove during that time.

Last Thursday I went to pick up the PS AS4s and get them mounted (at Discount Tire). They noticed a little uneven wear on the old Proxies but nothing significant.

After getting the new rubber on, the vibration was much worse - theres significant shake through the wheel from 55-85 mph; definitely tied to travel speed and not engine speed.

I came back and asked them to rebalance the tires. They have a Hunter machine. They tried this time without SmartBalance and said they got good numbers. The vibration is reduced but still there.

I noticed the RoadForce option on the machine (I used to have to have my NA Miata RoadForced to get rid of the typical 60 mph shake) but am not sure what the difference is between that and the other balance options.

If the wheels are balancing OK, does this just mean I need an alignment? I thought speed-sensitive shake was a balance thing, not an alignment thing. Is it possible that a wheel is slightly bent? Any other ideas?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Is there a particular thread somewhere about driver assistance/general high tech poo poo in cars? I'm shopping now and really curious about the different manufacturers starting to roll out Level 2 autonomy systems.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

mobby_6kl posted:

I've never owned a Honda or other econobox but now might have a chance to get a cheap or even free mk1 Honda Jazz/Fit with like 120k miles. Anything specific I should be concerned about in terms of catastrophic issues? It's really intended as a backup for when I repaint my Miata and for my parents to use until for a bit I use it in Mongol Rally or something, so cosmetic stuff or gadgets don't matter.

I liked mine, and free or cheap is a good start. I dont know of anything specifically with them, rust I suppose, but getting it inspected can be worth it IMO. Itd be due for spark plugs if they havent been done. I forget the other intervals, but the coolant and transmission fluid might be due for a change too.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

mobby_6kl posted:

I've heard bad things about weatherstripping and occasionally wiring to the rear hatch, but nothing catastrophic. Both people I've known with them loved the things

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

blk posted:

I came back and asked them to rebalance the tires. They have a Hunter machine. They tried this time without SmartBalance and said they got good numbers. The vibration is reduced but still there.

I noticed the RoadForce option on the machine (I used to have to have my NA Miata RoadForced to get rid of the typical 60 mph shake) but am not sure what the difference is between that and the other balance options.

If the wheels are balancing OK, does this just mean I need an alignment? I thought speed-sensitive shake was a balance thing, not an alignment thing. Is it possible that a wheel is slightly bent? Any other ideas?

Go back, maybe to a different Discount - that particular store's machine may need to be serviced. The tech will know immediately if a wheel is bent if they just watch it when it spins up to balance (the machine will probably mention it too). They're confident enough that they offer a lifetime balance warranty.

Also, look for a colored dot on the front tires. They should be roughly 180 degrees from the valve stem. Usually. And yes, definitely ask about Road Force. You might pay a bit more for it, and not all locations offer it.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Where would I find someone to make metal pieces like this:

Trying to type in 1934 ford custom hood inserts doesn't get me poo poo, typing in Custom fab metal gets me everything in the world.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

Update on debadging: luckily my car is white, so filling in the holes with white silicone caulk has worked reasonably well. Perfect? No, but good enough to not be noticeable unless you're specifically looking for it. We'll see how it holds up over time, and if it can't withstand the winter, I'll move on to bondo.

I've another question. My apologies if this is for douchey assholes; I'm unaware of the etiquette around them. I want to put some exhaust tips on this Mazda since the existing ones are so bland. There's a weld-on set that I like, but I'm not getting into that. Can I buy a weld-on exhaust tip and secure it with a clamp, maybe something like this? https://www.amazon.com/Exhaust-Mate...97091356&sr=8-5

https://www.carid.com/borla/single-round-rolled-angle-cut-intercooled-tip-mpn-20251.html

krillin from Dragonball
Aug 8, 2013
Hi AI, this is my 86 MR2:

I'm taking on its rust spots that have accrued over 34 years and have no previous fabrication experience so I've been learning as I go.
To start with I've been working on the trunk before I tackle bigger things and I'm wondering how rust in metal seams are usually handled. At the corner of the truck is a previous repair with bondo mixed with rust that I think will need a whole section cut out, and water sitting in the seam has left a patchwork of connective metal and sealant beneath the rolled edge (the cut out section is what had previously rotted away):

I'm thinking my best option is to replace the entire lower part of the panel and rolling a new seam over:

Would this be doable without any special equipment and 22 guage steel sheet? I can live with imperfections that I can have professionals smooth out, but I'd like to at least reduce costs before I start breaking the bank

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

STR posted:

Go back, maybe to a different Discount - that particular store's machine may need to be serviced. The tech will know immediately if a wheel is bent if they just watch it when it spins up to balance (the machine will probably mention it too). They're confident enough that they offer a lifetime balance warranty.

Also, look for a colored dot on the front tires. They should be roughly 180 degrees from the valve stem. Usually. And yes, definitely ask about Road Force. You might pay a bit more for it, and not all locations offer it.

Got a new to us vehicle and judging by the codes are original. Dots were placed all over the place from the stem.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

The Wonder Weapon posted:

Update on debadging: luckily my car is white, so filling in the holes with white silicone caulk has worked reasonably well. Perfect? No, but good enough to not be noticeable unless you're specifically looking for it. We'll see how it holds up over time, and if it can't withstand the winter, I'll move on to bondo.

I've another question. My apologies if this is for douchey assholes; I'm unaware of the etiquette around them. I want to put some exhaust tips on this Mazda since the existing ones are so bland. There's a weld-on set that I like, but I'm not getting into that. Can I buy a weld-on exhaust tip and secure it with a clamp, maybe something like this? https://www.amazon.com/Exhaust-Mate...97091356&sr=8-5

https://www.carid.com/borla/single-round-rolled-angle-cut-intercooled-tip-mpn-20251.html

You should buy the weld on tips and go to literally any exhaust shop near you to have them put on for like $40.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Am I allowed to say yuck

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Don't half-rear end it and get your car posted in the Terrible Car Stuff thread.

If you're getting weld-on tips, then pay the money to get the fuckers welded on.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

Motronic posted:

You should buy the weld on tips and go to literally any exhaust shop near you to have them put on for like $40.
Ah if it's that cheap then yeah that's worth it. I wasn't sure if it was one of those things where clamping was a fine substitute or if you really do need to weld them.

On a side note, how is it that you specifically have answers to my questions in every various thread I post in? Are you just me, 30 years from now, after I learn all these lessons?

Charles posted:

Am I allowed to say yuck
I'm open to suggestions. It's between that, something a little simpler

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

On a side note, how is it that you specifically have answers to my questions in every various thread I post in? Are you just me, 30 years from now, after I learn all these lessons?

Gonna say I don't remember you specifically, but I'm in my 40s and have been working with my hands for a long time. I know a few things really deep, and a bunch of stuff really shallow. I like projects, and I do a lot of them in a bunch of different areas. I find that when I get out of my depth this is a great place to go to ask questions if you just find the right thread where the down the rabbit hole experts exist.

But my first love is always wrenching on cars.

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004
A little disrespect and rudeness can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day
I'm planning a cross country move from NYC to Portland and need some help... My fiancee and I are deciding between shelling out $$$ for a pod vs slimming down what we own and renting a trailer. We've got a 2020 Forester, towing capacity is 1500 pounds, and Uhaul trailers ain't light. We'd basically be able to stick 600 pounds of stuff in the trailer plus whatever we can fit in/on the car (there'll be two passengers plus a dog, and two bikes). I do have a bike rack which sticks out >2 feet from the back of the car, so that'll need to be taken into account if the uhaul will even be able to reach the hitch.

The trailer route is so much cheaper that I'm kinda pushing for it, but is it a bad idea? Uhaul says that you shouldn't exceed 55mph, but we were already planning to make a road trip out of it anyway, so that wouldn't be the worst thing. Other than the hit to the gas, is there anything I'm missing? I'm probably vastly underestimating how little 600 pounds is. Would the Forester be able to make this trip? It'll be in mid September so temps shouldn't be as extreme.

Another option is I have access to a Suburban, but I'd need to fly out west to get it, drive it back to NYC, load that up + the trailer and Subaru, and then turn around and drive it back. This honestly sounds pretty fun.

yoohoo fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Aug 11, 2020

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Sell as much as you can.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Sell everything you can't fit in the pod. For serious. Your Subaru isn't going to effectively tow anything. There's the option of renting a gigantic moving van and towing your car behind it, but that's going to cost you more in fuel than it's worth.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Ah if it's that cheap then yeah that's worth it. I wasn't sure if it was one of those things where clamping was a fine substitute or if you really do need to weld them.

I'm open to suggestions. It's between that, something a little simpler

Duct tape it on and save $40. Just don't let the exhaust get too hot by resting the vehicle for half an hour every ten minutes of driving.

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004
A little disrespect and rudeness can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Sell everything you can't fit in the pod. For serious. Your Subaru isn't going to effectively tow anything. There's the option of renting a gigantic moving van and towing your car behind it, but that's going to cost you more in fuel than it's worth.

I'm definitely not interested in renting a giant moving van, the rental alone is more than a pod. I had a feeling towing with the Subaru wouldn't be the smart move, but wanted to ask.

The plan is to get rid of as much as we can, but my fiancee has moved across country 4 times in her life and had to start over each time, so selling everything is a non starter. Regardless of how much we get rid of, there's still enough that necessitates a pod or trailer.

I just crunched some numbers quickly and I could fly, pick up the suburban, drive back to NYC, rent a trailer, load it up, and drive it back west, and still spend ~$2k less than a pod. It's a lot of driving and hassle, but I don't mind long road trips. Am I signing myself up for something terrible if I go this route?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

yoohoo posted:

I'm definitely not interested in renting a giant moving van, the rental alone is more than a pod. I had a feeling towing with the Subaru wouldn't be the smart move, but wanted to ask.

The plan is to get rid of as much as we can, but my fiancee has moved across country 4 times in her life and had to start over each time, so selling everything is a non starter. Regardless of how much we get rid of, there's still enough that necessitates a pod or trailer.

I just crunched some numbers quickly and I could fly, pick up the suburban, drive back to NYC, rent a trailer, load it up, and drive it back west, and still spend ~$2k less than a pod. It's a lot of driving and hassle, but I don't mind long road trips. Am I signing myself up for something terrible if I go this route?

The alternative to towing the Subaru is driving it. One of you in the truck, the other in the car. My wife and I did that several times. Get some walkie-talkies to communicate.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

AFewBricksShy posted:

Trying to type in 1934 ford custom hood inserts doesn't get me poo poo, typing in Custom fab metal gets me everything in the world.

This is the kind of thing you can't google for. There's maybe a handful of people in each state that does custom work like this, they're all older and not internet savvy enough to have an online presence, and they usually have enough work that they don't need to advertise at all.

Your best bet is to find someone wha has had work like this done, as them who did it, and follow the trail back until you find the original guy. And be prepared to wait a couple years on his waiting list.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

yoohoo posted:

I'm probably vastly underestimating how little 600 pounds is.

It's this one. That's the actual problem here. I'm glad I didn't have to talk you into that - sounds like you're already figuring out the forrester and a uhaul trailer simply isn't viable.

yoohoo posted:

Okay.....did your numbers include eating and sleeping on the road? And put in a line for "I value my time at $0 per hour" just to make sure you remember what you're doing.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Motronic posted:

It's this one. That's the actual problem here. I'm glad I didn't have to talk you into that - sounds like you're already figuring out the forrester and a uhaul trailer simply isn't viable.

Okay.....did your numbers include eating and sleeping on the road? And put in a line for "I value my time at $0 per hour" just to make sure you remember what you're doing.

Eh, coupla bumps of speed and it's 36 hours with zero cost for sleeping or eating.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.”

Outrail posted:

Eh, coupla bumps of speed and it's 36 hours with zero cost for sleeping or eating.

Might need new fingernails by the end of it though

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004
^it's not ruled out

Motronic posted:

Numbers don't include eating and sleeping, but gas station food is cheap. Housing is going to be camping when possible, otherwise pull over in a Walmart parking lot and sleep in the back. Now doing that for 10 days out of 12 doesn't exactly sound ideal, but it gets me the hell out of the east coast and saves me some money.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

AFewBricksShy posted:

Might try asking in this thread which deals in older stuff
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3867802

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

In my area, there are a couple welder / fabrication places that I know do good work and I would go talk to them. they aren't car specific, and I'm sure they would know other places to check if they don't want to do it. You'll have to figure out who those people are in your area, though.