Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

The Muppets On PCP posted:

there's a very narrow age range that latched on to mad tv. basically if you were in middle school during 9/11

it premiered right when snl entered its terminal decline. kids who were just getting into comedy at that point would've been too young for snl's early 90s peak, and it hadn't yet gone into perpetual reruns on cable

yeah that makes sense, i have a couple years on them. my political awakening was "lockbox"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

man, I'm sure there was some horrible poo poo in there like re-invading Nicaragua or something, but it's wild thinking that Al Gore's platform was basically "things are going OK now, we should use this as an opportunity to prevent problems from arising in the future"

And then the Supreme Court was like nah let's go with the Iraq War instead.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

i dont really remember liking madtv but i remember liking early to mid 90s SNL and kids in the hall a lot. assuming they like it bc of slurs.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

there's also "In Living Color" if you want people to complain at you about the Wayans or whatever

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

mad tv was awful even as a dumb kid who loved mad magazine. tho the one skit with the guy who talked in a baby voice was funny. kids in the hall was far superior

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

what are y'all talking about, madtv was great, they had chris rock, jim carrey, the fly girls...

*finger on earpiece*

an earlier version of this post made several incorrect statements about mad tv that were true of in living color, we regret these errors

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Xaris posted:

who is defending ben smalpeno

It's mostly people acting like Ben admitting that he thinks a wet pussy means a woman has a physical illness isn't hilarious

https://twitter.com/TheLonelyPhoton/status/1292992734031159296?s=19

https://twitter.com/Guenboozy29/status/1293073267574611968?s=19

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Dreamed I was a member of Chapo, and was the last to walk out on stage at a live show. I raised my arms up in the air and got a big cheer and was incredulous that the crowd would be excited for me. Yes, I had impostor syndrome even in my dream.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
my mom used to get mad at my dad for oogling the fly girls

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

will sasso as kenny rogers was always funny af plus him and ike were on at the same time as key and peele, all of them were funny guys who elevated dogshit material imo

kith is obviously the best sketch show alongside mr show but mad tv had its moments

Eustace
Feb 26, 2009

MizPiz posted:

It's mostly people acting like Ben admitting that he thinks a wet pussy means a woman has a physical illness isn't hilarious

It because theyre narcissists who are mad that people are laughing about something theyre not involved in, op.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Eustace posted:

It because theyre narcissists who are mad that people are laughing about something theyre not involved in, op.

it's probably because the saw people they don't like (pronouns in bio) laughing about it but couldn't truly defend ben loving shapiro so decided to do this "the shapiro jokes are becoming boring" maneuver

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Percelus posted:

will sasso as kenny rogers was always funny af

That's why sketch shows like MadTV and SNL are so good for nostalgia. You can mentally edit out the 400 Alex Borstein asian lady sketches or that one year that SNL ran the "you like-a the juice?" sketch every week and just remember the good bits.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

i remember thinking kenny rogers jackass was hilarious as a kid and recently i rewatched it and realized...the jackass guys do stuff thats probably far more dangerous and a lot funnier. didnt age well imo.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
i wish I could be so above it all and too cool for school so I could tell myself "wet rear end p-word" isn't funny.

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

https://twitter.com/phatcarlson/status/1292986958549938177

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Weembles posted:

That's why sketch shows like MadTV and SNL are so good for nostalgia. You can mentally edit out the 400 Alex Borstein asian lady sketches or that one year that SNL ran the "you like-a the juice?" sketch every week and just remember the good bits.

yeah snl benefited greatly from syndication where it was cut down to like a half hour of material excluding musical guests

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

Weembles posted:

I did like-a the juice

the juice was good

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

MizPiz posted:

Haha don't you see these are ironic or not.

The real problem with attacking shapiro is that you are attacking an ally who wants to bring down the filth and decadence of the rich.

Can I go on a podcast now?

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

MizPiz posted:

Ben's been married 12 years, I doubt it

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

I can't understand Shapiro's popularity because I've never been able to listen to him for more than thirty seconds without wincing from fremdschamen

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 13 minutes!

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Ben is joe rogan for non drug using racists.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Clark Nova posted:

I can't understand Shapiro's popularity because I've never been able to listen to him for more than thirty seconds without wincing from fremdschamen
The first time Chapo played a clip of him, I thought it was a bit. I can't fathom how anyone is able to listen to that voice for more than a fraction of a minute.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

i’d assume shapiro appeals to the guys with roman emperors or philosophers as their avatars

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
Considering the severe anti-intellectualist streak in America, especially on the right, it is always shocking to me that Ben Shapiro has not been wedgied back to the shadows

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:

Halloween Jack posted:

The first time Chapo played a clip of him, I thought it was a bit. I can't fathom how anyone is able to listen to that voice for more than a fraction of a minute.

likewise in the first 10 seconds of Ben’s sister singing I thought that was their guest putting on a falsetto

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Ben Nerevarine posted:

Considering the severe anti-intellectualist streak in America, especially on the right, it is always shocking to me that Ben Shapiro has not been wedgied back to the shadows
His core audience is old Republicans and Gamergate losers. For these people, ranting about rap lyrics and modern architecture is what passes for an intellectual movement.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Halloween Jack posted:

His core audience is old Republicans and Gamergate losers. For these people, ranting about rap lyrics and modern architecture is what passes for an intellectual movement.

He does have the air of someone who grandmas would think is a nice young man

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Gio posted:

i’d assume shapiro appeals to the guys with roman emperors or philosophers as their avatars

He's every one of those skinny, polo shirt wearing kids in college who tries to own a professor during class and acts smug when they try to move on with the lesson.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

MizPiz posted:

I almost thought it was over the antifa honeypot having a joke added to it about being set up by the Daily Wire, which would give Shapino some ammo to bring up some sort of slander case. This is just pathetic.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
he's the living embodiment of a roller briefcase used as a high schooler's backpack

Paladin
Nov 26, 2004
You lost today, kid. But that doesn't mean you have to like it.

Dr. Killjoy posted:

likewise in the first 10 seconds of Ben’s sister singing I thought that was their guest putting on a falsetto

There are a few people I've heard in my life who were technically skilled musicians while having zero sense of musicality. Like, the kind of people who had gone to cram schools for piano and could play a piece of reasonable complexity but somehow lacked any expression.

She's the first time I've heard that sort of thing from a vocalist.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Halloween Jack posted:

he's got the kind of voice that makes your heart fall and swoon for Snagglepuss

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Paladin posted:

There are a few people I've heard in my life who were technically skilled musicians while having zero sense of musicality. Like, the kind of people who had gone to cram schools for piano and could play a piece of reasonable complexity but somehow lacked any expression.

She's the first time I've heard that sort of thing from a vocalist.

can't wait for the shapiro/malmsteen collab

Truancy-Bot
May 9, 2012

eat a dick, truancy-bot
SNL is usually only good when they have a headwriter(s) that aren't cowed by Lorne and can go toe-to-toe with him. Jost and Che (and probably all the other writers) are too obsessed with pleasing daddy

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

Smol Ben is the apotheosis of the two requirements of Debate Brain:

1. You must be able to easily articulate every point of every argument you make (and every response to every criticism of those arguments).
2. You must always be on the offensive to that you're applying the standards of #1 to your opponent's arguments/responses, and never having them applied to your own.

Hence the gish gallop and the motte and bailey and all that other poo poo. Credit where it's due, he is really really good at that stuff specifically, and that's all you need to convince someone who doesn't have any critical thinking skills. And once that rock is rolling downhill it takes a ton of energy to stop it.

So I guess the answer to "who can stand Ben Shapiro?" is: stupid people. And the world is filled with stupid people.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

to state the obvious, the web has made us all stupid

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Not me, I grow more powerful with every post

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004