Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

LingcodKilla posted:

Got to hang out with some nice Greek officers. It’s amazing to me even in this day and age people still want to see San Francisco and New York.

The city with the highest number of greeks concentrated in one place is of course Athens. But the second is Queens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Speaking of Greeks, I miss going to the OB Townhouse for breakfast. I really, really want a Greek omelet again but COVID.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
I ate *inside* a restaurant on Friday for the first time since mid-March. It was breakfast right as they opened and there was more staff inside than customers, and everyone wore a mask when they weren't eating but it still felt weird.

I tipped 40%.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Masterchief must be bored out of his mind. He's cranking tonight.

lol

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
A COB cranking now and then would be a solid way to humanize yourself to the crew and maybe learn about some enlisted problems that can be fixed with the might of the anchor.

But lol at actual outcomes

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

M_Gargantua posted:

But lol at actual outcomes

:chiefsay: we hear morale is low soooooooo daily XOs power hour of cleaning stations

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Nick Soapdish posted:

:chiefsay: we hear morale is low soooooooo daily XOs power hour of cleaning stations

Interested to know the best/worst cleaning station nicknames heard throughout the fleet. "XO's HOP" was cringeworthy, (HOP=Hour of Power), but "Material Condition Hour" seems awfully plain.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Interested to know the best/worst cleaning station nicknames heard throughout the fleet. "XO's HOP" was cringeworthy, (HOP=Hour of Power), but "Material Condition Hour" seems awfully plain.

I never understood clampdown, so I assumed it was bad, but maybe Ops was protesting an oppressive XO and we didn't realise it.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
Every submarine I've ever been on has called it "focused after-watch cleanup (FAWCU)" pronounced "fawck-you" with a straight face by everyone including leadership

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Cerekk posted:

Every submarine I've ever been on has called it "focused after-watch cleanup (FAWCU)" pronounced "fawck-you" with a straight face by everyone including leadership

I'm gonna bring thing up the next time we are scheduled to do extra cleaning. Word is we are gonna have some VIP visit next week so stand-bye for the horse and pony show.

I should also put together a list of the dumbest questions to ask.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

LingcodKilla posted:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

LingcodKilla posted:

I'm gonna bring thing up the next time we are scheduled to do extra cleaning. Word is we are gonna have some VIP visit next week so stand-bye for the horse and pony show.

My favorite was,
"Why are MRC cards so difficult?"

It was perfect because not only was it unactionable, not controlled by that admiral, and it makes the asker sound dumb because the C is short for card, but Fleet Master Chief had to jump in because 7th Fleet (at the time) had no idea what an MRC was despite it being what most of his Sailors spent most of their time doing.

That sounds like im poking fun at 7th Fleet, but its important to bridge that gap. Everyone around leadership tries to shield them from the nitty gritty.

You'll probably get yelled at though.

Edit: might have been PACFLEET, dont recall.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

LingcodKilla posted:

One of our maintainers asked a panel of admirals during questions what America is doing to prevent starting nuclear armageddon when we conduct our missions.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

I had a nonrate ask an O-6 (so I mean, not AS bad as admirals...) after sexual harassment training why he had to get permission before kissing someone. And it wasn't a question like "I didn't undertand the training" it was "Why do I have to do that and ruin a moment"

He later got arrested for calling a cop 'Bro' after the cop said "Call me 'Bro' one more time and I'm arresting you instead of just driving you home." and he said "Bro cmon"

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Reagan had "Spirit" as in spirit of 76 for being cvn76.

No clue how that was cleaning related but it was.

Dorstein
Dec 8, 2000
GIP VSO

piL posted:

"Why are MRC cards so difficult?"

Genius and actually good question. Navy 3M is often needlessly incomprehensible, and even if it's not that admiral's portfolio he ought to have enough connection to this core competency to have an opinion.

Dorstein fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Aug 10, 2020

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Elendil004 posted:

He later got arrested for calling a cop 'Bro' after the cop said "Call me 'Bro' one more time and I'm arresting you instead of just driving you home." and he said "Bro cmon"

Kinda torn on this TBQH.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Lol if you can't understand a MRC, they are written so even sailors can figure them out.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Lou Takki posted:

Lol if you can't understand a MRC, they are written so even sailors can figure them out.

MRCs are not the problem.

The entire management of the 3M system is a cluster gently caress from the top-down.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Lou Takki posted:

It's kinda funny you guys brought this up. I literally just overheard my MC talking to a 1rst about "MRC cards" and I sniggled a little.

However we don't actually use them on this ship so it would be a very dumb question.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Lou Takki posted:

Eh, I've definitely seen ones that went so overboard in specificity that it took a reread during the spot check to figure out what they meant, or referenced a switch with a title not printed on the switch, but described unexpectedly in one of the multiple technical manuals for that equipment, but not the one the maintenance person had.

Ive also seen ones that were not executable as written--for which there is a process, but then executing that maintenance was also required by an alternate programmatic requirement, so even though you're supposed to stop maintenance, personnel are completing actions but not accomplishing maintenance per 3M program, because nobodys responded to the feedback report yet.

Then a third class gets hemmed up because they marked it as accomplished because they met the description of the check, but couldn't execute a poorly written or ambiguous line of the MRC.

Ideally cards are supposed to be written to be easily figured out, but in practice its 10,000 manuals written by committee--there will be failures of clarity.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Kinda torn on this TBQH.

OH he was hammered drunk carving his name into a bar, the cop driving him back to the station was doing him a favor.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Whenever there was an issue with a MRC we would refuse to sign maintenance until the card was fixed. I always told my sailors to do the same, require that the documentation be corrected!

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Lou Takki posted:

Whenever there was an issue with a MRC we would refuse to sign maintenance until the card was fixed. I always told my sailors to do the same, require that the documentation be corrected!

When I was on deployment with an in-development product (with contractors onboard to support us) I submitted a TPDR for every error in the pubs. Our paper TPDR book ended up being the same weight as all three of the laptops the IETM was on. I had a thirty-page submission that was basically "your list of recommended tools is garbage."

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

piL posted:

Eh, I've definitely seen ones that went so overboard in specificity that it took a reread during the spot check to figure out what they meant, or referenced a switch with a title not printed on the switch, but described unexpectedly in one of the multiple technical manuals for that equipment, but not the one the maintenance person had.

Ive also seen ones that were not executable as written--for which there is a process, but then executing that maintenance was also required by an alternate programmatic requirement, so even though you're supposed to stop maintenance, personnel are completing actions but not accomplishing maintenance per 3M program, because nobodys responded to the feedback report yet.

Then a third class gets hemmed up because they marked it as accomplished because they met the description of the check, but couldn't execute a poorly written or ambiguous line of the MRC.

Ideally cards are supposed to be written to be easily figured out, but in practice its 10,000 manuals written by committee--there will be failures of clarity.

There is a 3M check you have to do on the magtail on minesweeps before you stream the tail which is basically a check to make sure there's no magnetic leakage/cracks in the rubber casing. Typically, you run the lowest possible voltage through the tail and real it in through a hand held magnotometer.

I don't know if it has changed since I read the card a decade ago, but the authorized secondary option if your magnotometer is broken is to make your lowest ranking EM soak a clean rag in salt water. Then, have them shimmy it down the tail and report if they feel any minor shocks. :v:

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Lou Takki posted:

We had an ADCA get a letter of reprimand and removed from his role because he edited an MRC card and made someone use it.

During 3M inspection.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

iwentdoodie posted:

We had an ADCA get a letter of reprimand and removed from his role because he edited an MRC card and made someone use it.

During 3M inspection.

This made me laugh so hard for some reason.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

iwentdoodie posted:

During 3M inspection.

What is an ADCA? Assistant Damage Control Assistant?

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

Hekk posted:

Or is it Assistant TO the Damage Control Assistant?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Hekk posted:

Exactly. The DCA is a second tour divo on small boys and I believe a department head on bigger decks. The ADCA is either an ensign stashed under the DCA on a small boy or a JG on a big deck that's leading the DC division and works for the DCA.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

iwentdoodie posted:

During 3M inspection.

How in the hell is someone this stupid? I really want to know what exactly he changed now.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
First guess is always skipping the checks to make sure it’s deenergized + depressurized

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Lou Takki posted:

How in the hell is someone this stupid? I really want to know what exactly he changed now.

"It's fine we've always done it this way."

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Mmmm a liberty call coming up is gonna be a MWR tent right by the brow and that's it. Oh boy. Well at least Souda was good for restocking supplies.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

M_Gargantua posted:

First guess is always skipping the checks to make sure it’s deenergized + depressurized

*Internal screaming*

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

LingcodKilla posted:

Mmmm a liberty call coming up is gonna be a MWR tent right by the brow and that's it. Oh boy. Well at least Souda was good for restocking supplies.

Hey. Beer on the pier can be a great time. Especially when your new O-1 SUPPO accidentally pays for a CONEX box with...ummm...extra entertainment options.

Which happened on my first ship.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

AlternateNu posted:

Hey. Beer on the pier can be a great time. Especially when your new O-1 SUPPO accidentally pays for a CONEX box with...ummm...extra entertainment options.

Which happened on my first ship.

Unless it's strippers it probably couldn't beat what our civmar leadership has provided us. Thankfully I bought some sweet and sour to help out the rough stuff this time.
Leadership congratulated us for not making an rear end of ourselves in Souda. Nobody needed assistance walking up the gangway so that's nice.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

LingcodKilla posted:

Thankfully I bought some sweet and sour to help out the rough stuff this time.

If your galley meal isn't covered in Texas Petes or whatever hot sauce you brought yourself, you aren't doing it right

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Nick Soapdish posted:

If your galley meal isn't covered in Texas Petes or whatever hot sauce you brought yourself, you aren't doing it right

Uh..... not that kind of sweet and sour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
heroin and what?