Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
I've rented that place in both the Ozarks and the Adirondacks. I think its just the "vacation house you can rent out" kit, but someone really loved carpet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I used wago connectors when I was replacing some stuff and now I guess I have doomed my family. :ohdear: I mean something else in this house the PO messed up will probably kill us first, but I shouldn't have added to the list.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Renaissance Robot posted:

You can't fool me, that shower unit is just a bathtub on its side!

Son of a...

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Ashcans posted:

I used wago connectors when I was replacing some stuff and now I guess I have doomed my family. :ohdear: I mean something else in this house the PO messed up will probably kill us first, but I shouldn't have added to the list.

I used a bunch of Wago style connectors fixing all the broken grounds in my house. Surely they are better than what the "electrician" did. (they used crimp ferrules, but without the proper crimp tool. So the crimps were all just falling apart after 5 years and every outlet was loosing ground. They also only left about half an inch of usable wire sticking out of the wall, so wire nuts where a no-go.)

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 55 minutes!
Here's a crappy construction tale:

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2020-08-10/california-bullet-train-bridge-snafu

quote:

The bridge work began in 2016 and was supposed to be completed in 12 months. Relocation of underground utilities became a problem, as there were schedule glitches, according to rail authority and Madera County officials. Months turned into years, during which thousands of residents were forced to take long detours around the site.

Then last year came a series of blunders.

High-strength steel strands supporting the 636-foot-long structure began to snap on Oct. 22, one after another. Ultimately, 23 of the strands, which are composed of seven individual wires each, broke unexpectedly, according to rail authority documents and officials. The order to stop work was issued Nov. 4.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

https://i.imgur.com/sGq5LWx.mp4

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

I'm glad he decided to use his amazing powers for the good of humanity.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

larson is now posting his comics online, the ban has been lifted

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

Man's gotta eat.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Ashcans posted:

Is it specifically the wago connectors or any other connector of the same style that's a no go?

Amusingly here in Sweden the electricians won't use the wire nuts but rely entirely on the wago style stuff. Our old kitchen was redone in the early 2000s by a non electrician that used wire nuts all over the place and our electrician just shook his head and sighed when he saw it.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

The Euro style lever-lock Wagos are actually pretty good, since they don't rely entirely on spring tension to hold the wire.

The British "choco block" style connectors (look like industrial terminal strips) are the absolute king of wire connectors imo.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Guy Axlerod posted:

Man's gotta eat.

Read my mind.

Fuckin Bo-bandy.

HelleSpud
Apr 1, 2010
With that clipping, this may belong to crappy coding thread

Bathtubs love stairs

Bathtubs/Stairs slow burn, 500,000+ words

But not as much as toilets love kitchens

But is Bed here to break up their bliss?

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I'm the dining room toilet..

Also the bath you can roll into from bed.

Fanged Lawn Wormy
Jan 4, 2008

SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK!

Elviscat posted:

The Euro style lever-lock Wagos are actually pretty good, since they don't rely entirely on spring tension to hold the wire.

The British "choco block" style connectors (look like industrial terminal strips) are the absolute king of wire connectors imo.

I mostly do Low Voltage stuff, and bought from some lighting company that sent Wago 221's with their Power Supplies. Now I buy boxes and boxes of'em. They're great because they don't gently caress up the wires, and I often have stuff that may get prototyped in the shop a bit before being sent to site. Or, I often have little scraps I use and re-use for demos where a full size plug would be in the way. With wire nuts, I'll have to eventually start clipping the wire shorter as it gets mangled.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

out of everything in this thread so far, this one finally got to me

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Darchangel posted:

Son of a...

bitch

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

This one is for sous vide cooking an entire pig

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
noticed something odd under the stairs to my apartment today

oh dear

I see exposed rebar and rust, so I'm concerned.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Javid posted:

I see exposed rebar and rust, so I'm concerned.

You'd have to be one HELL of a goon for this to be a legit concern.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

CarForumPoster posted:

How do you think the stairs cracked in the first place?

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Facebook Aunt posted:

How do you think the stairs cracked in the first place?

The oxidation combined with a relatively high unit cell volume of FeO2 to Fe-C alloys

Nah it’s cause he fat

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Clayton Bigsby posted:

Is it specifically the wago connectors or any other connector of the same style that's a no go?

Amusingly here in Sweden the electricians won't use the wire nuts but rely entirely on the wago style stuff. Our old kitchen was redone in the early 2000s by a non electrician that used wire nuts all over the place and our electrician just shook his head and sighed when he saw it.

All evidence points to "whatever Americans do, it's better to not do". Not just in construction or electrics, but very much in construction.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

That goes back for quite a while too, wasn't the USA really behind on banning asbestos and lead based paint?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

By popular demand posted:

That goes back for quite a while too, wasn't the USA really behind on banning asbestos and lead based paint?

Seriouspost: They're 100% going to unban both within the next four years.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Hell, just because America is the only country to figure out how much a life is worth in dollars doesn't mean you can be mad that its reflected in codes and practices. Cutting corners saves millions and only kills a few people.
:clint:

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Yea, and it's not like any of those are important people, so it's hardly worth noting.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Welcome to two years ago.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

CarForumPoster posted:

That's called spalling, and will 100% lead to the destruction of the concrete over time.

Speaking of: "nice high-rise bridge you built there to connect your large neighborhood to your downtown core. Be a shame if it failed after only 35 years"
https://www.google.com/amp/s/sccinsight.com/2020/03/28/what-happened-to-the-west-seattle-bridge/%3famp

I really feel like over the next few decades we're going to see some consequences from the boom of using post-tensioned concrete for every major civil engineering project, like it's one of those things that has amazing properties on paper as an engineered system, but if one small error is made in constructing it, it's doomed to fail. Like that horrible one-step insulation/stucco poo poo that got used on a bunch of timber framed houses, and just funneled water into the framing and rotted whole walls out.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 55 minutes!

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Asbestos was never banned in the US. It is banned for certain uses, and allowed for others. Same thing in Canada.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

More like AWORSTOS amirite?

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.

Phanatic posted:

Asbestos was never banned in the US. It is banned for certain uses, and allowed for others. Same thing in Canada.

Same with lead paint. It's still used in heavy industrial situations, especially as a bridge paint

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Phanatic posted:

Asbestos was never banned in the US. It is banned for certain uses

So? Soon, it won't be.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Do you have anything to add to that weird one-line assertion?

I doubt any companies are very interested in accepting the liabilities surrounding producing asbestos products that produce friable fibers, even if TSCA was lifted entirely.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

3D Megadoodoo posted:

All evidence points to "whatever Americans do, it's better to not do". Not just in construction or electrics, but very much in construction.

This thread and the OSHA thread have both revealed a bunch of trades that are done differently in America, the UK and Europe, and everyone insists they are doing it Correctly despite having maybe witnessed alternative techniques and standards once 20 years ago. With the exception of really obvious deficiencies (ring mains in the UK, US electrical plugs being unsafe (but compact)), there's rarely any data or science presented to to show why (for example) construction workers in Australia wearing shorts is an unacceptable risk compared to them wearing long pants in the US. It's fascinating watching people from around the world exchanging notes and being baffled to the point of incomprehension that someone would install a split AC instead of central AC in a home, and insist that it's impossible and no one sells them (or vice versa), despite google being a click away.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

I just googled Ring Mains and really wish I had not.

Confirming that US plugs suck, tho

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
That was a good post, I wanted to refute that statement but I would not have done it as well.

I feel similarly when people insist that homes aren't built as well now as they used to be. And perhaps they aren't, but I've lived in houses from the 1900s to the 1980s and am in construction now, things are made by people and there are quality issues with all of them. At least new houses are designed for modern wardrobes, have enough outlets, and are free from the hazards we know about like asbestos and lead paint.

I know I'm comparing quality with code, but code is the only one I have a comparison for. Not sure how to measure the decline of craftsmanship over time.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

The length of the punchlist when the project is "done"

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

Elviscat posted:

That's called spalling, and will 100% lead to the destruction of the concrete over time.

Speaking of: "nice high-rise bridge you built there to connect your large neighborhood to your downtown core. Be a shame if it failed after only 35 years"
https://www.google.com/amp/s/sccinsight.com/2020/03/28/what-happened-to-the-west-seattle-bridge/%3famp

I really feel like over the next few decades we're going to see some consequences from the boom of using post-tensioned concrete for every major civil engineering project, like it's one of those things that has amazing properties on paper as an engineered system, but if one small error is made in constructing it, it's doomed to fail. Like that horrible one-step insulation/stucco poo poo that got used on a bunch of timber framed houses, and just funneled water into the framing and rotted whole walls out.

They seem to be uses a lot in slab foundations with plumbing underneath. I honestly don't understand how you're supposed to replace the plumbing without razing the building.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tinytort
Jun 10, 2013

Super healthy, super cheap

Slanderer posted:

This thread and the OSHA thread have both revealed a bunch of trades that are done differently in America, the UK and Europe, and everyone insists they are doing it Correctly despite having maybe witnessed alternative techniques and standards once 20 years ago. With the exception of really obvious deficiencies (ring mains in the UK, US electrical plugs being unsafe (but compact)), there's rarely any data or science presented to to show why (for example) construction workers in Australia wearing shorts is an unacceptable risk compared to them wearing long pants in the US. It's fascinating watching people from around the world exchanging notes and being baffled to the point of incomprehension that someone would install a split AC instead of central AC in a home, and insist that it's impossible and no one sells them (or vice versa), despite google being a click away.

The pants vs shorts thing is because on a construction site (or in a factory) is because you're working with sharp materials that can cut through skin easily, as well as stuff that you don't want making skin contact. If you're wearing long pants, you're usually wearing denim jeans, which are sturdy enough to provide a good layer of protection; shorts mean bare skin from the knee to the socks.

Being able to cope with the heat better isn't worth the risk.