Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Splat
Vampire
Werewolf
Mage
Changeling
Promethean
Demon
Hunter
Sin Eater
Deviant
Mummy lol
beast?!
Goku
View Results

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Angry Lobster posted:

Hey people, some Vampire: the Masquerade news:

New Vampire: the Masquerade comic preview.

Set in the V5 lore, looks decent enough, I guess?
I'm not familiar with Blake Howard, but Tim Seeley's whole thing is midwestern horror and Tini Howard's Strikeforce is one of the most fun "this lore is bonkers-stupid, let's have some fun with it" I've seen in a long time, so that's at least 2 of 3 writers with, in effect, solid VtM creds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Yeah, it isn't bad. It even has some V5 stuff as back matter.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
How much are V:TES cards going for these days? A good friend is in dire straits and has a bunch of unopened Berlin con 'Anthology' reprint bundles, are they worth real money?

Tias fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Aug 7, 2020

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

It looks like one sold recently for $75, but that's no guarantee that his will.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Well, my Promethean campaign looks likely to go for another year or two - the players have said their goal is to at least get a shot at The Great Work, and they've done about 2 roles in 4 months. We're playing with a much accelerated XP curve, which we've generally done for *OD games, but we typically run a campaign for like 3-4 months.

I've developed certain frustrations with the system. We largely run things pretty free form and I make up attribute+skill checks when I think there's a potential consequence to failure, but overall I find the underlying rules, particularly the mundane ones, more obstacle than enhancement. Social maneuvering is painful and unsatisfying, combat is fiddly without being engaging, and the layout for conditions & tilts is just anti-conducive to ever using those. Honestly I kind of want to gut the basic attribute+skill set and boil it down to like, 5 or 6 total pools from what, 297 (216 attribute+skill and 81 attribute+attribute).

I mostly like the Promethean specific stuff, but I still have some significant issues there. The big one is that the rules for some of The Big Stuff - Disquiet, Torment, Wasteland, Firestorms, which are about as important to Promethean as feeding to Vampires or paradox to Mages - seem to have been written by different sets of people in different places in the rulebook that were never really reconciled. By and large the issue is that sometimes these systems are portrayed as simple mechanical functions, low-level but daily risks Prometheans must take just to get through the day, while at others they're supposed to fulfill dramatic functions and only come up to heighten important moments in the fiction.

I do like the Roles, even if it's more at the concept level than the specifics. Most of them have been good but multiple players have done Cuprum Sage which is just a confusing one to actually execute in play, and it seems to exist largely to satisfy COD's need for symmetry.

I'm honestly looking forward to the campaign continuing, I think that PTC, way more than other systems, has generally encouraged my players to develop characters that are interesting to see week after week, as opposed to getting stale after about five sessions, but most of the best stuff is the narrative framing rather than the explicit rules as written.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

ugh wipe your drat mouth, that's your food going everywhere! just cause you're dead no reason to be a gross rear end in a top hat.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Tias posted:

How much are V:TES cards going for these days? A good friend is in dire straits and has a bunch of unopened Berlin con 'Anthology' reprint bundles, are they worth real money?

It depends on a lot of different factors, but yeah, if he has sealed Berlin Anthologies they are bound to be worth something, as they were special limited editions to be sold only to the attendants of the Berlin European Championship, they were worth 20€ initially. Although it's true that all those cards have been reprinted in recent years and are available on retail, the Berling Anthology cards have different art, so that's worth more for collectionists. It also helps a ton if you live in the US, for some reason the market there is much more willing to pay more for fancy cardboard than us Europeans.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I actually ordered two sets when they sold the leftovers, and it totaled close to $80 with shipping in the US. Prohibitive shipping, limited availability, and cool art all make them one of the more valuable non-box VtES products in the US.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Angry Lobster posted:

It depends on a lot of different factors, but yeah, if he has sealed Berlin Anthologies they are bound to be worth something, as they were special limited editions to be sold only to the attendants of the Berlin European Championship, they were worth 20€ initially. Although it's true that all those cards have been reprinted in recent years and are available on retail, the Berling Anthology cards have different art, so that's worth more for collectionists. It also helps a ton if you live in the US, for some reason the market there is much more willing to pay more for fancy cardboard than us Europeans.

We live in Denmark, does that mean there's no legal option to sell them in the US? Or?

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

Tias posted:

We live in Denmark, does that mean there's no legal option to sell them in the US? Or?

It's the secondary market, you can sell them fine, just be mindful that international shipping to/from the US is darn expensive right now with all the COVID business and that might complicate things a bit. You can either check with local dealers or put it up on ebay as well.

I can't help you much with that unfortunately, I don't know the US market and I usually just buy my fancy cardboard fix from a local dealer. This past weekend I was talking with some folks over this matter, and many agreed that the price for old product is over the place and in the US there are many people constantly buying cards at pretty high prices, so dunno, give it a try and maybe you'll get lucky.

Angry Lobster fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Aug 10, 2020

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

There's a V:TES buy/sell/trade group on Facebook and that type of thing gets snatched up pretty quickly. I buy that stuff, but generally only buy Jyhad and the initial V:TES stuff and the price swings on that stuff are the most random poo poo ever. I'll buy a lot of like 200 cards for $20 and then see like 50 cards that were in the lot that I bought going for twice that a week later. It's a really weird market.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Friend asks: Would it make sense to hold onto the decks, then? They're sealed and don't take up a lot of space, after all.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

Tias posted:

Friend asks: Would it make sense to hold onto the decks, then? They're sealed and don't take up a lot of space, after all.

If he's not in a rush I'd try to sell them anyway, just put it on sale at a good price and wait and see if it goes through or not.

Another idea: He could try to either contact the Danish National Coordinator (details here) or the Prince of Copenhagen (here). They are likely to be helpful, especially to local players, and most probably have better insight into this matter than me.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Has anyone played the new edition of Scion yet? On a whim, be I volunteered to run a pbp for one of my meme shitposting groups and scion won the poll. Should I start then off work origins or jump straight to hero? Hero is where they're children of the gods, origin is what, gifted mortals?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Soonmot posted:

Has anyone played the new edition of Scion yet? On a whim, be I volunteered to run a pbp for one of my meme shitposting groups and scion won the poll. Should I start then off work origins or jump straight to hero? Hero is where they're children of the gods, origin is what, gifted mortals?
I'm in a Scion game right now. I will not dare to claim that they are "good" rules, but they do not get in the way of the stories Scion is trying to tell, and can often open up cool alternative ideas if you think laterally.

I think it depends on what you want to do honestly. In terms of power level, Origin is like "mortal-plus," Hero (even at fairly low levels) becomes a completely different beast, if in my opinion a very cool one. You can easily segue from Origin to Hero. Scion 2E provides you with a few options for "why you are touched by godpower," which are, based on my memory, "Literal child/descendant," "adopted/imbued with power," "directly created by the god in question," and "you're the reincarnation of that god, who either died somehow or is doing some kind of life cycle thing, roll with it."

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Origin is before Visitation and is about action heroes who are cool but have maybe one special trick, and the divine could well be metaphor. Hero is where your divine power has bloomed and you are truly superhuman, with the power and backing of the gods.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Scion 2e is pretty good once you get a handle on it, but the core rules are edited and arranged a little poorly, especially the combat mechanics. You'll want to get it figured out well ahead of time at least for yourself so you can explain/adjudicate for your players.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

That Old Tree posted:

Scion 2e is pretty good once you get a handle on it, but the core rules are edited and arranged a little poorly, especially the combat mechanics. You'll want to get it figured out well ahead of time at least for yourself so you can explain/adjudicate for your players.

i play wod games, I'm used to rules being spread out every where lol. That said, if you could give a quick run down of combat pitfalls, I'd appreciate it.

thanks for the tips, I think I will start them with the lower powered Origin and run a nice heist game. I'm going through the Origins book now making notes now.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Nessus posted:

I'm in a Scion game right now. I will not dare to claim that they are "good" rules, but they do not get in the way of the stories Scion is trying to tell, and can often open up cool alternative ideas if you think laterally.

I think it depends on what you want to do honestly. In terms of power level, Origin is like "mortal-plus," Hero (even at fairly low levels) becomes a completely different beast, if in my opinion a very cool one. You can easily segue from Origin to Hero. Scion 2E provides you with a few options for "why you are touched by godpower," which are, based on my memory, "Literal child/descendant," "adopted/imbued with power," "directly created by the god in question," and "you're the reincarnation of that god, who either died somehow or is doing some kind of life cycle thing, roll with it."

Have they done away with the 'if you want to succeed in combat, I hope for the love of Bast/Ares/Freya/etc. you went all in on Dexterity?"

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Dawgstar posted:

Have they done away with the 'if you want to succeed in combat, I hope for the love of Bast/Ares/Freya/etc. you went all in on Dexterity?"

Yes.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I had to ask, only because I played a character whose deal was they were strong but not fast and that led to a lot of awkward shuffling on the ST's part as they had to recalculate several things, often on the fly.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Dawgstar posted:

I had to ask, only because I played a character whose deal was they were strong but not fast and that led to a lot of awkward shuffling on the ST's part as they had to recalculate several things, often on the fly.

from looking over the die pool rules, you can basically roll any attribute+combat skill if your character can justify it.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Your defenses are based largely on your resistance attributes (The row that includes Stamina) and your melee attacks will largely roll Strength by default, but yeah ultimately depending on the fiction you could roll Close Combat plus anything.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Soonmot posted:

from looking over the die pool rules, you can basically roll any attribute+combat skill if your character can justify it.

Yeah, I made a character with big Resolve and Composure who would solve a lot of problems just by being a stubborn about it.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Well drat i'll have to look in to that then, if only to try and play a hummingbird loving latino aiming to become a Demidad.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

citybeatnik posted:

Well drat i'll have to look in to that then, if only to try and play a hummingbird loving latino aiming to become a Demidad.
This is actually kind of close to one of the signature characters. (I found the signature characters to be a weak link in the game's presentation, but you know what: That's pretty small potatoes, when the sig characters are the thing you remember not being great.)

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Nessus posted:

This is actually kind of close to one of the signature characters. (I found the signature characters to be a weak link in the game's presentation, but you know what: That's pretty small potatoes, when the sig characters are the thing you remember not being great.)

I picked up the QuickStart and the pregen pack and do like how they updated the ones from 1E.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

That Old Tree posted:

drat, I joked, but you were right.

So let's see if I have this right

1) I declare who I'm going to attack
2)they roll their defense attribute to generate successes for stunts, one of these stunts just straight up makes it harder to hit you and this lasts the whole turn. This is reflexive.
3) I roll my combat pool and have to generate more successes than their default defense of 1, unless they've put successes into the defend stunt, in which case it's 1+stunt
4)If I beat that I inflict 1 health box and spend the rest of the successes on stunts, a critical stunt that costs 4 successes allows me to inflict 2 total health boxes.

So what happens to their defense when multiple attackers are involved? I know it says they only roll it once, which is fine, because the stunts last all turn, but if they've used the defend stunt to boost their defense to 5, does every attack against them that round need to beat 5 successes, or does that decrease by 1 like in WoD?

LimitedReagent
Oct 5, 2008

Soonmot posted:

drat, I joked, but you were right.

So let's see if I have this right

1) I declare who I'm going to attack
2)they roll their defense attribute to generate successes for stunts, one of these stunts just straight up makes it harder to hit you and this lasts the whole turn. This is reflexive.
3) I roll my combat pool and have to generate more successes than their default defense of 1, unless they've put successes into the defend stunt, in which case it's 1+stunt
4)If I beat that I inflict 1 health box and spend the rest of the successes on stunts, a critical stunt that costs 4 successes allows me to inflict 2 total health boxes.

So what happens to their defense when multiple attackers are involved? I know it says they only roll it once, which is fine, because the stunts last all turn, but if they've used the defend stunt to boost their defense to 5, does every attack against them that round need to beat 5 successes, or does that decrease by 1 like in WoD?

That sounds right, but keep in mind if you roll at least one success, then you also get to apply any Enhancements you may have to your attack (and all weapons give you 1 Enhancement just for being a weapon). Also, if they have soft armor, that increases the success requirement to apply the basic inflict damage stunt, so you may not get it for free. (Also if you have Scale, which Heroes can do pretty easily, you can inflict damage an extra time per point of Scale you've got over your opponent.)

There's no penalty for being attacked multiple times, although often enough you've got a stunt success or two left over from your attack that you can use on something like Feint to give a friend bonus Enhancement on their attack.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Great, thank you! The line in the book at first attack and defense threw me for a loop. I totally forgot about enhancements. Those are successes added AFTER you've rolled at least 1 and not extra dice added to the roll?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Soonmot posted:

Great, thank you! The line in the book at first attack and defense threw me for a loop. I totally forgot about enhancements. Those are successes added AFTER you've rolled at least 1 and not extra dice added to the roll?
That's correct.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
This just popped up in a post on Facebook, I don't remember hearing about this werewolf game, but I've grabbed a beta key for it and I'll check it out. It is NOT the action RPG one we've seen already.

https://na.alienwarearena.com/ucf/s...ta-key-giveaway

Only a few minutes in, but looks like a story game. Nice art direction.

Soonmot fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Aug 19, 2020

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Surprise!!!

Rockpapershotgun posted:

“Until recently, I was the Narrative Lead on a videogame called Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines 2 for Hardsuit Labs, Inc being published by Paradox Interactive (which owns 30% of Hardsuit Labs). After almost five years involvement with the studio, I was suddenly terminated on 7/16/20.

That this came as a shock to me is underselling it. I’ve worked on Bloodlines 2 for almost five years. The story and main cast was initially conceived in my living room. I helped develop the pitch for Hardsuit Labs and helped pitch the project to Paradox in Las Vegas. I’ve been in charge of the narrative since the beginning, working long days and sometimes weekends to deliver a successor to Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines, and I’ve never been led to believe that I hadn’t succeeded. Very obviously, I have also been involved in the PR and marketing side of things, even though it was one of the most difficult parts for me. I’m a pretty private person – press and crowds tend to heavily trigger my social anxiety (which, if you’ve ever wondered about the gloves, they are “armor” that make me feel less exposed in situations that trigger my anxiety).

Bloodlines and the fandom of the game mean the world to me. So I lent my legacy with the franchise, my name, and my participation in marketing efforts for the game, even when it was intensely difficult and took a mental and physical toll. This is all because I wanted to do what was best for the game and the team.

The pride in the work, the fan expectations, and the support from co-workers who started out as fans kept me going through this long five years. And I’m incredibly disappointed and frustrated to say that this is where it ends for me on the project.

I was not part of the conversations that led to the decision to delay production, and to my knowledge, there were no delays caused by the Bloodlines 2 narrative development. I am confident and proud of the work that I and my team put forward. When that work will be seen and what form it will take is unknown to me.

It was a pleasure to work on this game and with many people at Hardsuit Labs and Paradox and I’m sorry I won’t be able to see it to the end. I spent years on some of the best characters and dialogue that I ever wrote. It’s meant a lot to hear from the Bloodlines community and I do hope that what’s finally delivered is as satisfying as I intended it to be. Thanks to all of you who supported me throughout the project.”

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Remember how it couldn't get worse than this?

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
All bad news about VTMB2's development only empowers me because I know it's karmic payback for their not simply making a Requiem game.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I was already upset over there being no third person view mode, but it was Bloodlines so I was onboard. Now I'm out.

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011
I belong here. I contain only inanimate objects. Nothing is amiss.

Basic Chunnel posted:

Remember how it couldn't get worse than this?

It's bad, but it still doesn't sound as bad as

quote:

“Not once could he answer any question about moment-to-moment gameplay or areas of focus,” says one source. “Instead, he preferred to deliver buzzword-laden rambles… It was not uncommon for him to communicate in onomatopoeia.

"I once saw him looking over the shoulder of a programmer at some bit of User Interface the poor guy had hacked together. He straightened up, put fingers to lips and said, ‘No, this isn't it at all. Make it more... psssshhhh’ He hissed on his loving fingertips, like the air coming out of a bicycle tire, and then just walked away.”

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

I Am Just a Box posted:

It's bad, but it still doesn't sound as bad as
I mean, objectively speaking, doing the full court press of preorders with figurines, ARGs, announcing a whole-rear end DLC schedule, trade show stuff, getting within one quarter of release and then replacing director-level staff makes for lesser anecdotes, sure. But it is a far greater caliber of publisher clown show. Not only did they make a game, they marketed and sold a game, that they didn't even want to unceremoniously dump, but retool at the very last minute. It's not just stupid, it's scummy. It's disastrous decision making that speaks to very bad leadership - even worse leadership than it took to put Swedracula in charge of something.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

At least Onyx Path are still releasing good V5 books, so the non-Paradox stuff is going well!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
All aboard the vampire trainwreck.