Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yup that’s every road, every day in SFL. Sucks for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvFYvohBsiQ

Oh, to have headed home a few minutes sooner...

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Wow but mute audio please 🙉

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
This happened a little bit ago, nevermind the time stamp on the video.

Blue Subaru to the right of a semi, sideswiped in a merge lane that disappears 500 feet from a red light they'd both just taken off from.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6fRp1AgkLMY

Action is at :47, aftermath is at 1:33

I feel like the Subaru was trying to get hit on purpose - he was on his brakes over and over, but apparently not enough to avoid getting chewed on by some wheel lugs. Driver of the semi might not have even seen him. I circled back around with a printout of this video's URL, semi driver said he's got a cam running as well.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Looks like Subaru is 100 percent at fault, that driver had all the time in the world to avoid the accident. I wonder what does police report say

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
I honestly can't make out from the video what happened.
The vehicles in the right lane need to yield to those in the left based on the signage.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

That was exciting, I guess another geriatric who has confused brake and accelerator again

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y36A5d_ScLs

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
At least they can claim it was unintentional. This is some rude poo poo!

https://i.imgur.com/t9HMwHv.mp4

vvv It probably helps that I'm not usually out in rush hours, but that one is pretty blatant for what I usually see. People skate through yellow all day 'ery day but seeing peeps entering the intersection AFTER the light is red is still relatively rare for me #blessed.

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Aug 12, 2020

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
I see people run lights that are that red several times a week.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

fknlo posted:

I see people run lights that are that red several times a week.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Godzilla07 posted:

In the past 3 years, I've noticed more and more Floridian drivers believe it's legal to make a U-turn on a red light

https://i.imgur.com/g1Dti5I.mp4

No dashcam but I just saw a semi truck do this. Of course his eyes were a bit bigger than his turning radius. He ended up halfway into the intersection and was blocking traffic.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
A couple of recent videos for me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4oOk-jGHlss
I would have stopped to help but seeing an Amish woman in the middle of the road on her cell phone had me more confused than anything, and I didn't even see her car way down the road until I was much closer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSgvR1SQPSs
This person was just an rear end in a top hat. That's all.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
In the first video, your dash cam is weirdly positioned. Off to the side, and quarter of a screen is looking at the GPS mount or whatever that is. Why don't you mount it right behind the mirror, next to the stem?

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Nitrox posted:

In the first video, your dash cam is weirdly positioned. Off to the side, and quarter of a screen is looking at the GPS mount or whatever that is. Why don't you mount it right behind the mirror, next to the stem?

I've got one dashcam that I transfer between seven cars. I don't always position it well, admittedly.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I swear the cam is worth getting just because having it seems to cut down on the chaos I would normally see on the mad max floridian roads. Of course the last 2 days I’ve been in a relatives car without one, and both had absolutely ridiculous situations of people nearly killing themselves or us.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
I've had a dashcam for 6 months and haven't seen anything worth saving.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

MrOnBicycle posted:

You don't want to either.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Volguus posted:

Dashcams go along with that old Chinese curse: "May you live in interesting times." Deadly global pandemics are pretty interesting to read about in history books, but right now this poo poo sucks! :mad:

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

MrOnBicycle posted:

Volguus posted:

Yep! I've had mine for 3-4 years now, and the only 'interesting' thing I've seen is the driver in the car in front of me cracking open their door to have a quick vomit, while waiting at lights. Before getting a dashcam though, stupid things were happening all the time!

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
All of this is going into my folder of evidence that dashcams keep trouble away.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Heners_UK posted:

All of this is going into my folder of evidence that dashcams keep trouble away.

Oh yeah, absolutely! :D "A recorded car never crashes", just like the old saying about kettles

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Volguus posted:

Very true. I'm not one of those idiots in compilations that seek trouble just because of the dash cam though. I let most things slide and just adapt to it. I hate people who pass and then go back in about 1 car length in front of me when there are no cars behind them. gently caress them and the stone chips they bring with them.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I cooked my StreetGuardian by using a sunblocker heat shield in my windshield. Apparently the space between that and the glass gets nuclear.

They're replacing it but only if I promise not to cook the new one.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

In a massive impact dash cams typically aren't going to record continuously through the moment of impact, right? They're going to glitch out from the G forces? I have/had a Thinkware F800 Pro and the two video files from before the impact are 36 seconds long and the one video file from after the impact goes back to being 60 seconds long and there's about a 1 second gap in between them according to the timestamp. And there's no reason to power the thing up and connect it to my phone, right? There's nothing to be gained over the files that I've already taken off the card?

I wish I could post the video and I will post the video the second I can post the video which I'm guessing will be in 2 years or so.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Major Isoor posted:

Oh yeah, absolutely! :D "A recorded car never crashes", just like the old saying about kettles

I have found this to be incorrect.

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

Does anyone know what to do when you’re in an accident with the Aukey DR02? They have that hazard symbol that puts it in “emergency recording mode” but pressing it doesn’t seem to have an effect that I can tell.

I bought one a while back but realized I don’t know how to use it, really.

I have it in loop record every 15 minutes mode, but I have a 32gb card. There doesn’t seem to be a “record continuously” option in the menu.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

bird with big dick posted:

In a massive impact dash cams typically aren't going to record continuously through the moment of impact, right? They're going to glitch out from the G forces?

I would expect most solid state devices to keep working unless the forces are enough to break a solder connection. But, anything connected by spring force (say the SD card) might have a temporary bad time if connection is lost. The same is possible with push together connectors if they aren't well built.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

The hazard symbol prevents the recording from being recorded over while looping.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

bird with big dick posted:

In a massive impact dash cams typically aren't going to record continuously through the moment of impact, right? They're going to glitch out from the G forces?
In theory solid state components aren't meaningfully affected by g-forces that don't physically damage them. In practice internal cables can move around, spring-loaded connectors can disconnect, etc.

It is definitely possible to build a dashcam that should not glitch out in any crash that doesn't result in total destruction of the camera itself. How close any given product on the market gets to that ideal is a question we don't have great data for.

quote:

I have/had a Thinkware F800 Pro and the two video files from before the impact are 36 seconds long and the one video file from after the impact goes back to being 60 seconds long and there's about a 1 second gap in between them according to the timestamp. And there's no reason to power the thing up and connect it to my phone, right? There's nothing to be gained over the files that I've already taken off the card?
Unless the camera itself has internal storage, it's just going to be yet another card reader from the standpoint of accessing existing data. No gain to be had.

I would guess your SD card shifted enough to lose contact or the power supply drooped enough that it didn't successfully write. Being a capacitor camera the latter shouldn't really be a problem for your device.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Yeah SD cards do pop out as reported by somebody on dashcamtalk

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

a primate posted:

Does anyone know what to do when you’re in an accident with the Aukey DR02? They have that hazard symbol that puts it in “emergency recording mode” but pressing it doesn’t seem to have an effect that I can tell.

I bought one a while back but realized I don’t know how to use it, really.

I have it in loop record every 15 minutes mode, but I have a 32gb card. There doesn’t seem to be a “record continuously” option in the menu.

That button keeps the current file from being deleted.

The 15 minute mode you mention is how long each clip is. It's not just keeping 15 minutes worth of footage total on the SD card. It records 15 minutes, then makes a new video file for the next 15 minutes. Once the card fills up, it starts deleting the oldest clip to make space.

After an accident you can press that button to prevent the clip from ever being deleted automatically. But with a 32GB card you're probably looking at days or weeks or more of footage before it starts removing old footage to make room, so you really don't need to be super concerned, just pull the clips off the SD card after an event happens and don't keep using it for weeks before you do.

Hdip
Aug 21, 2002
I use my dashcam as a backup when I'm taking pictures of houses for real estate. So just keep it on 1 minute recording. If I miss a picture I just go through on my computer and screenshot the picture I need. That's the most useful thing I've done with it so far.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Nothing you will ever need to record is longer than 1 minute. In fact, when I upload my videos to YouTube, I edit out unnecessary footage, and what I need to show is always less than 30 seconds. Shorter video makes for smaller file size, easier/faster to download via Wi-Fi, send via email etc. I suggest you keep your recorded clips at 60 seconds or less if possible.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I use mine for timelapses offroad but realistically the size of each video file doesn't matter because I end up using a script to concatenate them anyway.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I’ve missed something funny because of the slight break in footage during the filesplit. I just keep it at 3m but got unlucky that day.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

EL BROMANCE posted:

I’ve missed something funny because of the slight break in footage during the filesplit. I just keep it at 3m but got unlucky that day.
Neither one of my cameras miss even the single frame between videos. I'm shocked to hear that there is a system out there that will do that by design. Maybe you should change it to something else

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

It’s an Aukey so fairly popular brand that probably has the same issue across multiple models. It’s not a big enough deal to warrant spending money on it.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

My Aukey DR02 has the opposite problem - same as my G1W had - where it actually duplicates a second between files so my script has to make ffmpeg trim it as it joins them.

eggyolk
Nov 8, 2007

We got an Aukey DR02 based on recommendations in this thread. This is the first event that was worth sharing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2leBeAXT_E

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

-Zydeco-
Nov 12, 2007

New Dash Cam Australia is up
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Swldb_-mReQ