Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
I always wonder if Lineage is actually bad or is it just a cultural difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

punk rebel ecks posted:

It's a cultural difference - in asia P2W is totally acceptable.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
it's totally acceptable here too now, except they crammed p2w even into loving single player games because westerners don't play online as much. see: weapon unlocks, xp boosts, etc

e: literally removed cheats and made modding real hard so they can sell you idkfa lmfao

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

Truga posted:

it's totally acceptable here too now, except they crammed p2w even into loving single player games because westerners don't play online as much. see: weapon unlocks, xp boosts, etc

e: literally removed cheats and made modding real hard so they can sell you idkfa lmfao

Oh yeah, that's 'different' because it's single player - and are companies besides Ubisoft doing that?

I would also argue about how acceptable it is given the grumblings about it. Still it's seen as something that only affects the individual player so who cares.

P2W in a pvp mmo though is generally a massive turn off for the US market - unless it's mobile - because then people will spend 20k a year on it for some drat reason.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

punk rebel ecks posted:

It's legit bad go look up a video.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I thought this MMO had shut down, but Lost ARK is apparently in pretty active development for America, and is now available in Russia and its very easy to play on that server now https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PcJNpV7iTQ4&t I was able to create an account and get the game downloaded pretty easily following this game, and then translated into english.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

FileNotFound posted:

Oh yeah, that's 'different' because it's single player - and are companies besides Ubisoft doing that?

I would also argue about how acceptable it is given the grumblings about it. Still it's seen as something that only affects the individual player so who cares.

P2W in a pvp mmo though is generally a massive turn off for the US market - unless it's mobile - because then people will spend 20k a year on it for some drat reason.

I assume it's "different" because you don't have to purchase the DLC to be able to reasonably beat these games. I will admit that I rarely play these types of games, but from what I've gathered they tend to make the games easier rather than being something that is mandatory lest you will spend an extra dozens of hours to complete the game.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I have created a thread for Lost ARK Online https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3935840

ModeSix
Mar 14, 2009

Having just read your OP in that thread, this really doesn't sound like the good MMO this thread is about, we're still looking for the mythical beast that doesn't exist.

Just my :10bux:. Opinions may vary.

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

ModeSix posted:

Having just read your OP in that thread, this really doesn't sound like the good MMO this thread is about, we're still looking for the mythical beast that doesn't exist.

Just my :10bux:. Opinions may vary.

What? Playing a p2w korean grind fest mmo on russian servers isn't your ideal MMO?!

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
p2w where every p might get you hacked or put you on a cia watchlist

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

FileNotFound posted:

What? Playing a p2w korean grind fest mmo on russian servers isn't your ideal MMO?!

For real, if you're not jumping through VPN hoops, installing english translations, and risking getting your computer hacked, you're not even an MMORPG player. :v:

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

I said come in! posted:

For real, if you're not jumping through VPN hoops, installing english translations, and risking getting your computer hacked, you're not even an MMORPG player. :v:

Lost ARK looks neat and I am looking forward to a US/Global server - assuming they get rid of the fact that you can literally buy in game currency with $....

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

FileNotFound posted:

Lost ARK looks neat and I am looking forward to a US/Global server - assuming they get rid of the fact that you can literally buy in game currency with $....

ooh that part wont be going away. This is a free to play game at its core and that won't be changing.

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

I said come in! posted:

ooh that part wont be going away. This is a free to play game at its core and that won't be changing.

Yeah...that's gonna be a no for me dawg....Diablo 3 is case study #1 for why that doesn't work.

Luitpold
Aug 2, 2009
Talking of excrement ...
I miss when games dreamed to be bigger in scope and better. Nowadays they section and quarter until you doing things with ever shrinking numbers of people.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

FileNotFound posted:

Perhaps one would prefer a late 90's online game that's all grind and no end game? It even has crazy avatar customization!

Or maybe a fantasy-based tribes mod that is still being actively supported?

These might not be ideal MMOs, but like an early-waking tree in fangorn forest, I am called to eat earth and dig deep.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

So I have been really enjoying Lost ARK, this is a very good and chill Action RPG that brings about a lot of Diablo III vibes. I was thinking I would bounce off this game very quickly, but I am pretty sure i'm gonna be playing this for awhile, but we will see. Gonna keep taking screenshots, but here is the starting town:

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

I said come in! posted:

So I have been really enjoying Lost ARK, this is a very good and chill Action RPG that brings about a lot of Diablo III vibes. I was thinking I would bounce off this game very quickly, but I am pretty sure i'm gonna be playing this for awhile, but we will see. Gonna keep taking screenshots, but here is the starting town:
Game looks good:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJfgDlazJro

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

It's a very pretty looking game. I am constantly amazed at how good the environments look, and how great the game plays.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

I said come in! posted:

Those graphics look like the best isometric graphics I've ever seen. The last istometric game I played was Astonia 3 around 2003, but it looks better than the Diablo III screenshots I've seen

galenanorth fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Aug 8, 2020

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

Freakazoid_ posted:

Perhaps one would prefer a late 90's online game that's all grind and no end game? It even has crazy avatar customization!

Or maybe a fantasy-based tribes mod that is still being actively supported?

These might not be ideal MMOs, but like an early-waking tree in fangorn forest, I am called to eat earth and dig deep.

god i spent SO much time playing both of these when i was younger. i can't even begin to count the hours i sunk into them. i was actually looking at them a week ago out of sheer nostalgia.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Making a fantasy MMO using Tribes is insane. My brother was addicted to Tribes (and I played a fair deal of TAC) and I had no idea that existed.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
Those screenshots are pretty dope.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I mean, it looks cool and fun but don't all KMMOs at first glance? The way it fucks you up is the region issues, for sure at this point it's a huge brick wall, and the end-game/monetization.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

jokes posted:

I mean, it looks cool and fun but don't all KMMOs at first glance? The way it fucks you up is the region issues, for sure at this point it's a huge brick wall, and the end-game/monetization.

I do typically bounce off these games ultra fast, but so far I am really addicted to Lost ARK. It is everything I wish Diablo III was. I do believe however that the Russian server is far behind the Korean one in content, which is pretty standard. Like the Korean version the classes are no longer gender locked, but that is still the case for the Russian version.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
I want a Destiny 2 that's neither a shooter nor an isometric ARPG. There is no such game, is there?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Mr. Neutron posted:

I want a Destiny 2 that's neither a shooter nor an isometric ARPG. There is no such game, is there?

I think Warframe might count? Marvels Avengers comes out next month and has a beta test every weekend this month.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here

Mr. Neutron posted:

I want destiny 2 but it’s a games as service hentai visual novel.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Rexicon1 posted:

I want destiny 2 but it’s a games as service hentai visual novel.

??????? :pwn:

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
Shadowbane was my ideal MMOG and I really miss it, although it was one of those games that very much fitted its time and it'd be hard to replicate now.
It had insane character creation - where a Minotaur Warrior compared to a Dwarf Warrior might as well be different classes. Or a spear warrior compared to a sword one. I really enjoyed that and while the balance wasn't exactly great it still gave a huge selection of different stuff to play as and try. It also let you have different base classes (rogue,healer,fighter,mage) for your main class - so an assassin could be a warrior or a mage and that choice made two very different characters. I've never seen a game with the massive amount of choice shadowbane had in that sphere.

Since the game was based on PvP the PvE side of the game was entirely for levelling up, meaning a lot of PvP took place over level zones, with certain parts of them being more efficient than others. Levelling up a specific character only took a day or two as well at the efficient spots so you'd have lots of scope to try out whatever insane character you wanted to have a go with. But it'd also create reasons to fight and places to fight, spots you knew you could go to and there'd be people around to kill.

More interesting to me (and different, in the scope of a MMOG outside of EVE) were the politics. In beta the world would be a huge fight between 3 different player factions that would try and lure smaller, newer groups to their side and tip the balance. A little World War 1 but as a mmog. it was so interesting to log in, call up the map and see new cities popping up or old ones owned by small guilds that had gone.
Unfortunately in release without regular wipes this didn't really work.
The character customisation meant that new players characters were tiny loving kittens compared to our beta knowledge. They'd balance their stats (Shadowbane was all about min/max) or be characters that were fine solo but rubbish in groups and just get absolutely mullered over and over and over until their cities lay in ruins and they quit the game.

Part of the blame is that the release was kinda buggy. And that all the timescales for building cities got super ramped up. So if you'd spent a month building your town AND been fighting against loving loads of disconnections and crashes only for it to get burned down by five untouchable gods you were really likely to quit.
And people did. Loads of people. A server would be "won" and turn into a ghostland. They told us that there'd be cross server travel (they'd been promising this since beta) but when it never turned up a few people rerolled on more balanced servers or quit altogether.

By the end of the first 5 or so months there were perhaps 3 servers where the formula had worked and nobody came out on top. There were so many times that the devs could have stopped this happening - us beta guilds were tired of fighting each other but they could have asked the big ones to roll on the same server come release. They could have given new players guides on how to make characters and told them why they kept dying. They could have added cross server travel or really said 'this is never going to happen' early on.

The game had two expansions later on that worked on the city founding and gave people territory to control. It was great and even just before the game died I was still playing and still enjoying a living world. I kinda hope Crowfall manages to re-capture all of that but I don't expect it. Shadowbane was loving great for creating stories, unique ones, and that's what I miss from modern mmogs I guess.

Taear fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Aug 10, 2020

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

There will never be a good mmo again because the prevalence of discord destroyed mmos as social spaces

Mr. Neutron posted:

Agreeing with Come In, Warframe is a good one. It can be a third person shooter but there are many other options as well, and it has the "fight multiple distinct races of creatures" destiny thing going on.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

What is the low down on the FF14 patch today other than the extended to level 60 trial?

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

I said come in! posted:

What is the low down on the FF14 patch today other than the extended to level 60 trial?

The overall pattern:

Every patch includes main story continuation

Every even-numbered patch contains savage (and its story counterpart) - x.0 is "even" for this purpose

Every odd-numbered patch contains alliance raid

Every patch but x.0 and x.3 contains trial series content, the x.3 has a non-trial part of that story and the ex slot is filled by the main story trial

Two of the odd-numbered patches for each expansion contain ultimates

Content difficulty: Story<Alliance<Extreme<Savage<Ultimate - ultimates are roughly in WoW terms comparable to world progging a mythic endboss, but they never really lose their edge because the game force syncs your level/stats. Every 'track' of content has its own story per expansion, all story content can be seen at LFR difficulty and the "real" difficulty is just for content's sake

---

Things specific to this patch outside of the pattern:

dwarf (crafter) beast tribe (reputation grind)

ishgard restoration part 3

eureka 2 (in a couple weeks)

The game sticks VERY strictly to its "core" content pattern (the raids and main story) and turns the dials up and down on other experiments in content expansion-by-expansion. Last time the centerpiece was Eureka, a pseudo-open world dungeon thing. This time it's ishgard restoration, analogous roughly to the AQ war effort back in classic WoW but with less exclusive drama stuff. There are a varying number of things in existing content categories, like beast tribes and deep dungeon per expansion.

Major patches like this come at roughly every 3 months. The current was delayed an additional 3 months because of plague; the last time this happened was the first expansion release.

e: I forgot I wasn't in the 14 thread lol. editing in clarifications

Mister Olympus fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Aug 11, 2020

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Are there any MMOs with actual fun, smaller-scale PvP anymore? I hate the gigantic zerg pile stuff that pretty much every game seems to have committed to now - the scale of it is cool as a novelty but it just feels so mindless and homogenized after a while, and it never actually feels like you are contributing to anything in a meaningful sense. The first Guild Wars was pretty much perfect for me in this regard, between having the smaller and very intimate PvP arenas and the larger guild battles that still had an actual sense of camaraderie and teamwork because it was limited to your guildmates and individual players could change the tide of a fight.

My ideal game is basically a big MMO that is actually fun both solo and in group play with an option for good, varied PvP, but that seems to just...not exist.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
GW2 sPvP was that the last time I played it..but that was in 2014 so ymmw. The game does not seem to change all that much however.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013
so i think i've asked this before but i would love to hear yall's thoughts on this.

if you were challenged to make a MMO *without* RPG mechanics (because they've been done to death), what would you make? what genres haven't been MMOified yet? what's the essential essence of an MMO anyhow?

i am so goddamn sick of games assuming i have only 3 MAYBE 4 friends. especially games that fancy themselves as e-sports and therefore must include a match-maker, ELO, and no more than 10 or 12 players in the game.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

cmdrk posted:

so i think i've asked this before but i would love to hear yall's thoughts on this.

if you were challenged to make a MMO *without* RPG mechanics (because they've been done to death), what would you make? what genres haven't been MMOified yet? what's the essential essence of an MMO anyhow?

i am so goddamn sick of games assuming i have only 3 MAYBE 4 friends. especially games that fancy themselves as e-sports and therefore must include a match-maker, ELO, and no more than 10 or 12 players in the game.

FPS. Destiny 2 is a heck of a lot of fun. It'd be a lot better without the dumb loot gacha and they already got rid of levels.

A logistics or management game like factorio (i.e. Eve) would be cool too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Fall Guys is the best MMO ever made