Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

ElMaligno posted:

My hybrid bike sucks, but it takes me out of the house and has helped me see that biking is cool and good.

:hmmyes: my man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

nm posted:

That has been an issue for me. I have just started zip tying.

Rim Brakes are prettier.
:colbert:
The only real advantages I see with disc brakes are stopping power in lovely conditions (important) and wheel interchangeability (potentially cool if you have a bunch of disc wheels with identically-sized rotors in reserve -- I don't). I have yet to have a rim die because my rim brakes wore them down to nothing. Good mini-v brakes (like the Paul MiniMoto) can give great performance and allow wide tires, no problem. Alternately, you can use a traditional Mafac Racer-style rim brake with brazed pivot points that gives great performance and a lot of clearance. Discs also require some compromises in fork design and pee pee poo poo they look bad.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

rope kid posted:

The only real advantages I see with disc brakes are stopping power in lovely conditions (important) and wheel interchangeability (potentially cool if you have a bunch of disc wheels with identically-sized rotors in reserve -- I don't). I have yet to have a rim die because my rim brakes wore them down to nothing. Good mini-v brakes (like the Paul MiniMoto) can give great performance and allow wide tires, no problem. Alternately, you can use a traditional Mafac Racer-style rim brake with brazed pivot points that gives great performance and a lot of clearance. Discs also require some compromises in fork design and pee pee poo poo they look bad.

California riding is pretty easy on aluminum rims.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

i wore a deep v rim down so much that the metal on the edge of the rim ripped itself apart in the middle of the night

that being said i went out of my way to get the rim brake version of my cervelo r5

also that being said i wouldn't recommend a rim brake bike to anyone other than pedantic fucks like me, ill keep riding rim as long as its available

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
My only rim brake bike has $35 rims so whatever.

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle
I have a cheap old giant "mountain" bike, pretty much a hybrid. I've thought about swapping the squishy old forks for a rigid fork but on at least three occasions having even cheap squishy forks has stopped me from faceplanting when I hit an unexpected curb/pothole, so I've kept them.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

I am also lucky since my step son gave my an beginner road bike (A Gravity Avenue with disk breaks), Its getting fixed and i will try it out once its fixed.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

Nah, this is some elitist bullshit that keeps people off bikes, and even gets people to stop riding. Not everyone can afford to just throw stuff away when it breaks and go buy another one. Even if it's "not worth it" in terms of the overall resale value of the bike, it's absolutely worth it in the value it adds to a person's life if spending $50 or $100 on fixing a $200 bike keeps someone riding, instead of not being able to afford $500+ for a different bike taking them off the road.
For posters reading this many years from now when this pandemic is over:
Man, how many $200 hybrids have you seen that can be fixed with only $50 or $100 of work? I feel like the only way fixing a hybrid makes sense is for folks who have access to a co-op or other cheaper-than-normal option, and even then it's going to be an uphill battle.

For posters in a pandemic:
Obviously do not throw out a functional bike rn. It is impossible to buy a bike, so even if it takes more than you paid for the whole bike, it's worth repairing it.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

bicievino posted:

California riding is pretty easy on aluminum rims.
True, also I'm a pretty casual rider so I don't do a lot of hard braking anyway.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009

bicievino posted:

Man, how many $200 hybrids have you seen that can be fixed with only $50 or $100 of work? I feel like the only way fixing a hybrid makes sense is for folks who have access to a co-op or other cheaper-than-normal option, and even then it's going to be an uphill battle.

Obviously do not throw out a functional bike rn. It is impossible to buy a bike, so even if it takes more than you paid for the whole bike, it's worth repairing it.

I have an old low-end trek 26er that I've been told on these forums is "basically disposable" and advised not to fix or upgrade, and it's even a step above your average cheap hybrid. That's why I took e.pilot's post to be serious. But I've absolutely kept replacing chains and freewheels, re-packing bearings, taking apart and cleaning stuff, etc. anyway. The only things cost me more than $50 have been tools I couldn't borrow. Granted, I have a rigid fork bike from a reputable brand, but a lot of those things hold true for cheaper bikes too, especially when the "fix" needed is just a deep cleaning or new bearings. Breaking something major on any bike is going to expensive (I grant it's more likely to happen on a cheapo bike), the difference is just how that cost relates to the overall value of the bike.

I think a better way to talk about hybrid bikes is to say that the low end department store bikes are often poorly made and prone to break, so don't buy one unless it's absolutely your only option. If someone has one and it breaks, I think it's more productive to send someone to a Sheldon Brown page or link a Calvin Jones video than it is to tell them to throw it out (jokingly or not). The cost of having a shop fix it might be more than the cost of replacing it, but learning to do it yourself might not be, and I think it's more productive advice that's more likely to get and keep people biking.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

The only things cost me more than $50 have been tools I couldn't borrow.
I don't disagree with what you posted however the tools definitely add up. Even using RJ The Bike Guy hacks will result in multiple trips to the hardware store and will be an exercise in frustration for any first time bike wrencher. If you're mechanically inclined, have the patience and have the money to buy the right tools, great! But if you consider the value of your time as >$0/hr, you're likely going to come out in the negative if you put time and money into fixing up a department store bike. Much better to buy something used off craigslist for $300 than spend $200 on a Huffy. FWIW, even low end Trek MTBs are a step up from department store bikes.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
and both of them are above vintage low-end French bikes, which you should only get if you want to get into a world of plastic derailleurs and nonsensical threading standards

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Feels Villeneuve posted:

and both of them are above vintage low-end French bikes, which you should only get if you want to get into a world of plastic derailleurs and nonsensical threading standards
Hey, that's not fair. Their seat post and stem diameters are also nonsensical.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
A common derogatory term, Bicycle Shaped Object, is more worth railing against.
If you're getting a bike that's $250 or less from a department store, you've got a BSO, made with parts that really can't be serviced, and likely with an incredibly pointless suspension fork.
A BSO hybrid should be ridden as long as you need it, but it'll be hard to keep going forever, particularly with the high degree of plastic in the drivetrain.

There are plenty of very serviceable, durable hybrids sold for $500-700 at local bike shops. Outside of snark, nobody has a problem with these, until they hear you say "I wish I could go a little faster," at which point they'll dive in front of you on the bike path, get run over, and groan with their last breath "...gravel bikes..."

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

I have an old low-end trek 26er that I've been told on these forums is "basically disposable" and advised not to fix or upgrade, and it's even a step above your average cheap hybrid. That's why I took e.pilot's post to be serious. But I've absolutely kept replacing chains and freewheels, re-packing bearings, taking apart and cleaning stuff, etc. anyway. The only things cost me more than $50 have been tools I couldn't borrow. Granted, I have a rigid fork bike from a reputable brand, but a lot of those things hold true for cheaper bikes too, especially when the "fix" needed is just a deep cleaning or new bearings. Breaking something major on any bike is going to expensive (I grant it's more likely to happen on a cheapo bike), the difference is just how that cost relates to the overall value of the bike.

I think a better way to talk about hybrid bikes is to say that the low end department store bikes are often poorly made and prone to break, so don't buy one unless it's absolutely your only option. If someone has one and it breaks, I think it's more productive to send someone to a Sheldon Brown page or link a Calvin Jones video than it is to tell them to throw it out (jokingly or not). The cost of having a shop fix it might be more than the cost of replacing it, but learning to do it yourself might not be, and I think it's more productive advice that's more likely to get and keep people biking.

I think the unclear terminology at the low end of the market is obviously a big source of confusion.
As you say, a low-end bike from a non-department store brand is still going to be a step above an actual $200 (retail, new) hybrid. You obviously have a higher tolerance and aptitude for doing maintenance work yourself.
ESPECIALLY after accounting for the cost of tools, I stand by my statement that fixing all the things that fail in a dangerous manner on an actual $200 (new, retail) hybrid after even a minor amount of use is going to cost more than buying the same thing again new. Anyone who shares your willingness to fix things themselves will of course get a better deal used, but I think you're something of an outlier.

Overall, I think the whinging from folks (this is more directed at Feels than you) about how the OP doesn't address every one of these issues perfectly is rather overwrought. The industry as a whole is completely inconsistent and confusing about it - expecting some Something Awful forums poster to be able to bring clarity to something that is legitimately unclear is maybe over-optimistic. I'm sure that anyone who was willing to put the effort into offering up an actual improved section for the OP instead of complaining that what is there isn't good enough would get a more receptive response.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

bicievino posted:

I'm sure that anyone who was willing to put the effort into offering up an actual improved section for the OP instead of complaining that what is there isn't good enough would get a more receptive response.

i was literally asking if anyone would be interested in me making an updated writeup/OP and used that as an example of something that might not be great advice

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

Feels Villeneuve posted:

i was literally asking if anyone would be interested in me making an updated writeup/OP and used that as an example of something that might not be great advice

Just do it. Don't ask, just make the OP you want to see.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

bicievino posted:

We picked up one of these http://2010.konaworld.com/bike.cfm?content=smoke for $200 on Facebook. I have put $0 into it, it only needed a cleaning and cable adjustments. and the seatpost is completely frozen and will require and act of god to move

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Feels Villeneuve posted:

As someone who knows nothing about bicycles and is trying to figure out how to be less sedentary in the age of covid, I think there’s room for improvement in the OP.

The commuter/hybrid section seems to be saying that e.g. a $2100 Trek FX 6 (labelled a hybrid on their site) is a poo poo bike for casuals? Because it’s not a mountain bike but has flat bars and an upright posture? But the last two pages are talking about hybrids as $200 department store bikes? And everyone I know IRL who’s into bikes pointed me towards stuff labelled urban/commuter/hybrid for my use case of “fatty wants to ride on paved/gravel trails and maybe, if we ever go back to the office, commute 2 miles each way on questionable street surfaces”, they just warned me to avoid the lowest/entry tier or two. So stuff like Trek FX 3 / Dual Sport 3, Giant Escape 1, Specialized Sirrus 3, Cannondale Quick 3.

I ended up with a Dual Sport 3 because that’s what I was able to actually find and buy and haven’t regretted it yet but also haven’t ridden more that 10 miles in one day yet, either. Maybe I’ll end up hating it and think it’s garbage? But that’s definitely what the OP seems to imply is going to happen.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

FogHelmut posted:

We picked up one of these http://2010.konaworld.com/bike.cfm?content=smoke for $200 on Facebook. I have put $0 into it, it only needed a cleaning and cable adjustments. and the seatpost is completely frozen and will require and act of god to move

Right, which is why I subsequently clarified that "$200 hybrid" really refers to a new price.
The price is really unhelpful when we're talking about used bikes because local used markets vary so much. I sold a flat bar redline singlespeed for $200, that doesn't mean anything about grouping it in the same "not worth repairing" class.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Trek dual sports have not super great suspension forks so compared to a Fox stepcast or a RS Revelation it's going to suck hucking to flat and not be a bike you'll ever want to take to Moab.

But for everything else it's going to be great if you're sticking to pavement gravel and even easier offroad where yes a skilled rider going much faster would almost certainly prefer a lighter bike with a more predictable rigid fork, but is going to do an OK job of keeping you from rattling your teeth out.

The fork will either last you a reasonable length of time, measured in years possiblity decades if you keep it clean and store it indoors if you never go past being an occasional rider. If you catch the cycling bug and it becomes your thing you'll quickly outgrow that bikes capabilities and want something better at which point you'll sell it and take a $300ish loss which isn't much at all, or keep it as your commuter/bar bike and not give a gently caress.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

bicievino posted:

Right, which is why I subsequently clarified that "$200 hybrid" really refers to a new price.
The price is really unhelpful when we're talking about used bikes because local used markets vary so much. I sold a flat bar redline singlespeed for $200, that doesn't mean anything about grouping it in the same "not worth repairing" class.

Why would anyone be fixing a new bike?

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry

Feels Villeneuve posted:

and I'd call the bottom bike a hybrid and the top bike a (lovely) city bike because these terms are fake and have no standardization.

and it's not like you can't get a well made city bike with racks/basket and a step through frame, it's just that the companies that make them are sadly extremely "hip"

If the terms are lovely and have no standardization why the hell would you even bother with an OP?

Delete everything in it, make the OP:

quote:

:justpost:

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

FogHelmut posted:

Because once you have bought a new bike, after you use it for a while, it can (and at the pricepoint in question, almost certainly will) break.
That was the context for this discussion. Not whether people should be buying used department store hybrids and fixing them up.

becoming
Aug 25, 2004

Lawen posted:

As someone who knows nothing about bicycles and is trying to figure out how to be less sedentary in the age of covid, I think there’s room for improvement in the OP.

The commuter/hybrid section seems to be saying that e.g. a $2100 Trek FX 6 (labelled a hybrid on their site) is a poo poo bike for casuals? Because it’s not a mountain bike but has flat bars and an upright posture? But the last two pages are talking about hybrids as $200 department store bikes? And everyone I know IRL who’s into bikes pointed me towards stuff labelled urban/commuter/hybrid for my use case of “fatty wants to ride on paved/gravel trails and maybe, if we ever go back to the office, commute 2 miles each way on questionable street surfaces”, they just warned me to avoid the lowest/entry tier or two. So stuff like Trek FX 3 / Dual Sport 3, Giant Escape 1, Specialized Sirrus 3, Cannondale Quick 3.

I ended up with a Dual Sport 3 because that’s what I was able to actually find and buy and haven’t regretted it yet but also haven’t ridden more that 10 miles in one day yet, either. Maybe I’ll end up hating it and think it’s garbage? But that’s definitely what the OP seems to imply is going to happen.

What EvilJoven said, but also: bikes are awesome, and if that's what gets you riding, then everyone here supports it. If you get bitten by the cycling batbug you'll probably want to replace or supplement your DS3, but for the usage you describe, I would say that there is absolutely nothing wrong with that bike. Read up/watch some videos about bicycle maintenance, take care of it, and it will last you a long time. I'm happy you're here and riding, I'm always excited to see new cyclists. One of us, one of us...

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Lawen posted:

I ended up with a Dual Sport 3 because that’s what I was able to actually find and buy and haven’t regretted it yet but also haven’t ridden more that 10 miles in one day yet, either.

Right now the fact you were able to find anything at that pricepoint in your size is a win. Enjoy your new bike!!

In normal times, the FX 3 is slightly cheaper and a better choice for almost all people, because making an affordable, reliable, and effective suspension fork is hard - you can get close to the same level of comfort with slightly wider tires.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

FogHelmut posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3627612&userid=27448#post504554921

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3522741&userid=87705#post504641621

Below a certain quality level, you're gonna get a raft of build issues you need to nurse.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

bicievino posted:

Because once you have bought a new bike, after you use it for a while, it can (and at the pricepoint in question, almost certainly will) break.
That was the context for this discussion. Not whether people should be buying used department store hybrids and fixing them up.

I've read the thread twice. I'm not sure where anyone is getting a new $200 bike outside of Walmart. Don't buy a bike at Walmart, find something used if new is unaffordable.

Unless you're just puttering around your neighborhood with your kid, or awkwardly riding the wrong way down the sidewalk while on vacation at the shore because that's the only time you ride because you're too drunk to drive. Then go ahead, get a Walmart bike.

But if you're researching, then you're serious, and you should get a serious bike.

Bikes are generally priced as a whole cheaper than you as an individual can purchase the components. So buying a new bike and throwing better components at it isn't going to save money.
Buying a lovely bike and a year later throwing better components at it is not going to work in the department store price range. The frames and wheels are flimsy and aren't a good base to build off of.
You could buy something from a reputable brand, which probably would be in the $500 and up range for new, and then later upgrade the components if that's what you want to do. But its not going to be cheaper in the long run.

FogHelmut fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Aug 11, 2020

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Rode some good dick today, 30mi in 2hrs entirely in z1/z2 awww yeee

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
i recently bought a bike. an ebike no less. yes, i had to wait 2 weeks for rei to assemble it. but no, it was not impossible to buy a bike. you can walk into that same rei right now and buy one of the many bikes on display if it happens to be the one you want. bike stores still exist and they still have bikes in stock!

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Bike shops have *some* bikes in stock.

Problem is we don't have a lot of bikes most people actually want.

Right now at work we have 3 mountain bikes; a used rigid 27.5 plus bike, a carbon hardtail with a lefty, and a carbon 27.5 FS.

For hybrids we have one with an IGH and a belt drive and a 4 figure price tag.

For gravel bikes we have steel Surlys and Salsas and carbon Giants.

etc etc etc.

The bread and butter of the bike industry right now is still aluminum hybrids and MTBs at the mid 3 figure mark and aluminum gravel bikes with carbon forks for around 1500 (adjust for US dollars I have NFI what you people pay for bikes) and finding anything like that is a miracle right now.

At least our shop isn't doing what some others are and stocking up their empty showrooms by cleaning out their suppliers of the only thing left; higher priced bikes in XS and XL frame sizes, which they'll be stuck with forever.

EvilJoven fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Aug 11, 2020

PolishPandaBear
Apr 10, 2009
I'm gonna be needing some new tires on my road bike soon. I currently have the stock TurboPro in 26. which has been fine. What should I get?

It's a 2017 Specialized Roubaix, which Spec says can clear up to 33mm. I was thinking of doing something in the 28 range though. I don't plan on doing road tubeless.

Should I default to GP5ks?

I have to ride through lovely litter and garbage covered NYC to get anywhere good, so I think some durability would be nice.

Edit:

EvilJoven posted:

At least our shop isn't doing what some others are and stocking up their empty showrooms by cleaning out their suppliers of the only thing left; higher priced bikes in XS and XL frame sizes, which they'll be stuck with forever.

That's great news for me. I can never test ride any bike because XL is never carried anywhere.

PolishPandaBear fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Aug 11, 2020

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Wait 2 years and you'll have your pick of the litter for right around cost.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

PolishPandaBear posted:

I'm gonna be needing some new tires on my road bike soon. I currently have the stock TurboPro in 26. which has been fine. What should I get?

It's a 2017 Specialized Roubaix, which Spec says can clear up to 33mm. I was thinking of doing something in the 28 range though. I don't plan on doing road tubeless.

Should I default to GP5ks?

I have to ride through lovely litter and garbage covered NYC to get anywhere good, so I think some durability would be nice.

Edit:

That's great news for me. I can never test ride any bike because XL is never carried anywhere.

lovely roads where you need durability and you’re avoiding tubeless why? It’s like the best use case for it.

PolishPandaBear
Apr 10, 2009

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

lovely roads where you need durability and you’re avoiding tubeless why? It’s like the best use case for it.

Mainly because I have the stock Axis Elite wheels which I don't think are officially TLC, although the tire does pop into a bead seat? So maybe it's possible?

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009

EvilJoven posted:

Cue the very short guy with the XL bike–"but I got it on sale!!"

I recently sold an Al CX frame to a guy who's going to build it up–similarly he was saying he's doing the build because there's nothing left

becoming
Aug 25, 2004

DELETE CASCADE posted:

i recently bought a bike. an ebike no less. yes, i had to wait 2 weeks for rei to assemble it. but no, it was not impossible to buy a bike. you can walk into that same rei right now and buy one of the many bikes on display if it happens to be the one you want. bike stores still exist and they still have bikes in stock!

This might be true at your REI, but at my local REI, literally every bike hanging on the racks was already sold. They had three bikes that were unsold when I walked in, and two by the time I left (I did not buy it - was there for a hydration vest). My LBS, with which I have a very strong relationship, has me waiting until January for a Trek FX 3 Stagger for my wife's aunt. This shop has pulled strings to get me the bike I wanted on several occasions, but there are very few strings to pull right now. You're right in that it's not impossible to buy a bike right now, but it's also true that, if you are in the market for a bike and find one in your size that you like, you should buy it because supply still sucks and demand is enormous.

Also, it's worth pointing out that this is less true the bigger your budget - it's reasonably easy to find a 2021 Emonda SL 7 for $5500 or an e-bike for $3500, it's a lot less easy to find a Verve 3 at $800.

becoming fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Aug 12, 2020

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
Don’t spend 5k on a road bike. Spend 5k on MTB. At the same time, you will also be buying the best most versatile gravel bike on the market.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

:supaburn:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rngd in the womb
Oct 13, 2009

Yam Slacker

vikingstrike posted:

Don’t spend 5k on a road bike. Spend 5k on MTB. At the same time, you will also be buying the best most versatile gravel bike on the market.