Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

because our character has the 'poet' trait, this update shall be told in the format of a rap battle.

quote:

18. Deliverance Lost (Gav Thorpe)
I’ve heard Gav is not a great author. I read his Last Chancers novels and tend to agree, so I skipped this.

Literally unreadable. I have read some bad Warhammer books in my day but this is one of the all time worst.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013

Verisimilidude posted:

How do you do your gold shoulderpads and blue weapons? I'm trying to figure out a scheme for Orks and green/blue/gold sounds like it'd be pretty solid!

I actually have a write up for my necron scheme over at Goonhammer, its a bit more then you need but it has pretty pictures!

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

For_Great_Justice posted:

One of the arms to the new necron walkers snapped and that thing isn't sticking back with the 5th application of plastic glue after snapping for the 4th time at the touch of a brush.

They're neat to look qt but drat if they aren't some.of the fiddliest fragile models they've put out.

Its snapped at the thinnest part so I can't pin it, I can't apply pressure during gluing because it just slips and just snaps under pressure.

I have spares but it was already at the painting stage and fucknl ifnit isn't frustrating to have to start from scratch because of the things broke an just won't fix.

Thanqol posted:

Wrap it in shonky greenstuff and tear some superglue over the join and you've made a flayed one.

For_Great_Justice posted:

A giant walker covered in skin is very tempting now.

Midwinter Minis just did a video on that topic.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Is the Battle Sisters Squad something that was just temporary, or will GW ever have it back in stock? I know they are having trouble bringing stuff back in stock right now as they have prioritized new miniatures.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

I said come in! posted:

Is the Battle Sisters Squad something that was just temporary, or will GW ever have it back in stock? I know they are having trouble bringing stuff back in stock right now as they have prioritized new miniatures.

It's a core part of an army, it'll be back in stock when production stabilizes.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

This is my absolutely ruthless list.

Original trilogy
Know No Fear
Betrayer
Vengful Spirit
Praetorian of Dorn
Master of Mankind

Which is still 8 books, but is a managable amount, rather than attempting to read 30 of them and burning out.

This skips entire plot threads, but nothing you couldn't live without, or get the gist of from reading these.

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

because our character has the 'poet' trait, this update shall be told in the format of a rap battle.

I said come in! posted:

Everything's going out of stock while they rebox everything for 9th, this happened with the transition to 8th too.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Legendary Ptarmigan posted:

13. Nemesis (James Swallow)
A team of assassins tries to assassinate Horus and fails spectacularly. Just as bad as the Dark Angel books. 1/5

Cool post. I am kinda interested to see how a book about assassins sent after Horus is bad though

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Thanqol posted:

Everything's going out of stock while they rebox everything for 9th, this happened with the transition to 8th too.

Is "rebox everything for 9th" essentially just "shoved an updated datasheet into the box"?

MRLOLAST
May 9, 2013
Battlesisters are very hot right now. They are still coming out but flying off the shelves as soon as they get there. I bought 3 boxes directly once I saw some online and they where listed as sold out the next day. Just need to keep on checking .

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug

Sab669 posted:

Is "rebox everything for 9th" essentially just "shoved an updated datasheet into the box"?

That’s what they’ve traditionally done, but they made a new logo this time around so maybe it’s more involved.

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

CODChimera posted:

Cool post. I am kinda interested to see how a book about assassins sent after Horus is bad though

You already know they fail and nothing interesting happens to make up for that.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

Sab669 posted:

Sometimes they'll swap in a different base size as well.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Furism posted:

Alright so it's sounds like this is a cash cow/golden goose then? I didn't want to be an rear end in a top hat, in case I was wrong, and say it but that was my original thought.

So if I wanted to get just the bare, qualitative minimum and read about The Horus Heresy, which book from the list posted before (or any other) should I read?

Skip anything that isn't by Abnett, Dembski-Bowden, or French.

Absolutely do not read anything by Kyme or Counter, or Thorpe. HH or not.

I've just saved you from Space Wolves drinking bear out of their own beards and excrement such as:

quote:

It [sic] cannot believe that the very ship carrying five companies of my battle-brothers and en-route to Calth was destroyed before reaching Vangelis in a random act of Xenos contrition

Lovely Joe Stalin fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Aug 11, 2020

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013
Granted I've only read a handful of Black Library books, I'd add Graham McNeill to the list. I'm reading Fulgrim right now, and I really liked Mechanicum and A Thousand Sons.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Yeah, McNeill is also quite quite bad.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

I've just saved you from Space Wolves drinking bear out of their own beards and excrement such as:

quote:

It [sic] cannot believe that the very ship carrying five companies of my battle-brothers and en-route to Calth was destroyed before reaching Vangelis in a random act of Xenos contrition

If they were so poorly written, killing them might actually be an act of contrition.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

They should give the people what they really want in literature and print new Deff Sqwadron and other Orky talez.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

On the other hand I add Chris Wraight to the "Do read" list as both his White Scars books and Valdor are considered to be really good.
Same goes for his regular 40k books, he is fantastic at writing environmental descriptions that is just perfectly in-universe. His Terra books in particular are amazing for that kind of stuff.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Yeah, Scars was easily one of my favorite Heresy novels

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

Thanqol posted:

Go by author. Any of the books by Dan Abnett and Aaron Dembski-Bowden will be really good. Anything by Nick Kyme is garbage. The books are very anthologyesque so it won't be too hard to keep up.
Chris Wraight is low-key one of the best HH writers, his 30K White Scars books are really good

Zephro fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Aug 11, 2020

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

me: wow this pin vise didn’t come with a bit? what a rip off..

also me: better order some paints so this isn’t just an order of drill bits..

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Unscrew the back of the vise, they often hide the bits inside!

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

I did take it apart, just has swappable grips, no bits. But also gave me an excuse to grab some Flesh Tearers Red and Skeleton Horde.

TammyHEH
Dec 11, 2013

Alfrything is only the ghost of a memory...
Wet leopard growls

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!

Tommunist posted:

Wet leopard growls

I have a visceral reaction to this, and it's been years since I read that book. Just what the gently caress, Abnett. "Wet leopard growl" should not be a phrase that anyone uses, ever - let alone to describe the sounds Space Wolves make, and repeatedly at that. I get the sense that every once in a while Abnett locks onto a certain phrase and just won't let go of it.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
I was reading dark imperium I think it was called, and it had like 30 pages dedicated to the logistics of quarantining a whole planet or something and it just went on and on and on so I just skipped that entire part of the novel

Hellburger99
Jan 24, 2006

"I don't like that mooch...
or her pooch!
"
I tried reading the Salamander books to get ideas for my army but just couldn’t get into them or got distracted. The only other 40k book I read was Fall of Damnos which was Ultramarines vs necrons and while it wasn’t amazing it was a decent enough read, though the author really needed to find a word to use other than “implacable”.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Hot Karl Marx posted:

I was reading dark imperium I think it was called, and it had like 30 pages dedicated to the logistics of quarantining a whole planet or something and it just went on and on and on so I just skipped that entire part of the novel

But those are the best bits of toy commercial novels like dark imperium

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Hellburger99 posted:

I tried reading the Salamander books to get ideas for my army but just couldn’t get into them or got distracted. The only other 40k book I read was Fall of Damnos which was Ultramarines vs necrons and while it wasn’t amazing it was a decent enough read, though the author really needed to find a word to use other than “implacable”.

Sorry your faction got assigned n literally the worst Black Library writer by far! Like, don't even consider reading Nick Kyme book as a fun joke.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Has anyone read Lords of Silence? How was it? I bought it when it first came out, I've never read a 40K book before, but I put it down after like the first chapter and just didn't feel compelled to read it and instead was probably re-reading something by Brandon Sanderson instead.

Is it worth picking up, or should I just leave it to look sad and alone on my book shelf?

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Tommunist posted:

Wet leopard growls

Imagine if he glommed onto “big meaty shits”

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Cyclopean wet meaty shits.

TammyHEH
Dec 11, 2013

Alfrything is only the ghost of a memory...

Schadenboner posted:

Cyclopean wet meaty shits.

I am all for this

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Sab669 posted:

Has anyone read Lords of Silence? How was it? I bought it when it first came out, I've never read a 40K book before, but I put it down after like the first chapter and just didn't feel compelled to read it and instead was probably re-reading something by Brandon Sanderson instead.

Is it worth picking up, or should I just leave it to look sad and alone on my book shelf?

I really liked it for capturing the Death Guard as a bunch of weird crazy monsters, though they're my main army so I'm pretty invested in them, I'd recommend it.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador
I'm only 10 books in so far but Tales of Heresy and Legion have easily been my faves. Battle for the Abyss was a nice light read. The other single legion focused ones thus far did not impress me remotely.

Eschatos fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Aug 12, 2020

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Dumb question, what's the maximum number of command points you can have in 9th? Can you ever have more than 15?

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

TKIY posted:

Dumb question, what's the maximum number of command points you can have in 9th? Can you ever have more than 15?

Yes

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
So what's the maximum?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

TKIY posted:

So what's the maximum?

Guilliman + 5 for battle forged + 5 for the ultramarines power + whatever you can get from carting around an assassin is the limit right now.