Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Stux posted:

someone do a list of nintendo

mario zelda

like every generation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

mario zelda

like every generation

Its sad really

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Nuts and Gum posted:

I haven’t played gran turismo since ps2 days. What makes forza so bad in comparison? Honestly the biggest thing that keeps me from playing is the god drat load times. Very excited to see how these games behave on those fancy new drives!

forza kicked rear end up until 4. 5 was a tremendous pile of dogshit on launch and was clearly made to sell mtx due to its economy being a complete loving joke, they did eventually fix it but it was still extremely content-poor compared with 4. 6 was a lot better but still had some huge flaws; the continued absence of the storefront and completely broken voice chat were both problems carried over from 5.

forza 7 was the kind of busted game on launch the likes of which had not been seen since assassin's creed unity, it flat-out did not even launch for a lot of people and when it did it was prone to crashes. this was true on both console and pc. the online was insanely hosed up with connection issues out the rear end and sometimes even when you did connect, the game just decided that you were gonna get stuck in the lobby for the race. they changed the presentation of the game and made it grimey and butt-ugly, including a terrible buttrock soundtrack that sounded like it fell out of sonic adventure. they decided that the car selection menu should render every single car in full 3d rather than a static image like past forzas, meaning the car slection menu lagged like gently caress. the in-game economy was even more hosed than forza 5's was on launch, with multiple changes across the board that drastically reduced credit income in a very blatant attempt to push players towards lootboxes since that was the new hotness at the time; the economy of the game was so bad that not only did they radically change it but they also canceled their plans for lootboxes and ripped that whole system out of the game entirely. it inherited all the problems from 5 and 6 as well, and the only notable addition was...driver suits. all their effort went into lootbox mechanics that they eventually ditched, ugly menus, and driver suits.

i cannot over-emphasize what a gigantic piece of poo poo forza 7 was on launch. they eventually 'improved' it, and by that i mean they basically just turned it into forza 6 except uglier and with worse music. hooray.

backlash to forza 7 was so extreme that they outright canceled forza 8 to focus on making forza 7 less poo poo and sacked the guy in charge.

DEEP STATE PLOT fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Aug 12, 2020

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

mario zelda

like every generation

if gears and halo had the same batting average as mario and zelda people would probably be a lot happier

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

forza kicked rear end up until 4. 5 was a tremendous pile of dogshit on launch and was clearly made to sell mtx due to its economy being a complete loving joke, they did eventually fix it but it was still extremely content-poor compared with 4. 6 was a lot better but still had some huge flaws; the continued absence of the storefront and completely broken voice chat were both problems carried over from 5.

forza 7 was the kind of busted game on launch the likes of which had not been seen since assassin's creed unity, it flat-out did not even launch for a lot of people and when it did it was prone to crashes. this was true on both console and pc. the online was insanely hosed up with connection issues out the rear end and sometimes even when you did connect, the game just decided that you were gonna get stuck in the lobby for the race. they changed the presentation of the game and made it grimey and butt-ugly, including a terrible buttrock soundtrack that sounded like it fell out of sonic adventure. they decided that the car selection menu should render every single car in full 3d rather than a static image like past forzas, meaning the car slection menu lagged like gently caress. the in-game economy was even more hosed than forza 5's was on launch, with multiple changes across the board that drastically reduced credit income in a very blatant attempt to push players towards lootboxes since that was the new hotness at the time; the economy of the game was so bad that not only did they radically change it but they also canceled their plans for lootboxes and ripped that whole system out of the game entirely. it inherited all the problems from 5 and 6 as well, and the only notable addition was...driver suits. all their effort went into lootbox mechanics that they eventually ditched, ugly menus, and driver suits.

i cannot over-emphasize what a gigantic piece of poo poo forza 7 was on launch. they eventually 'improved' it, and by that i mean they basically just turned it into forza 6 except uglier and with worse music. hooray.

backlash to forza 7 was so extreme that they outright canceled forza 8 to focus on making forza 7 less poo poo and sacked the guy in charge.

you race on a controller right? I feel like forza is still pretty ok for controller racing but it's totally wonky on wheels

also yeah, the music in gts is really good, like, shockingly good. i can not understand why there was, literally one music track in forza 7? which played on repeat in the forza menu? I just had to turn it off completely.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Laffo phil spencer is good at delivering a service terrible at filling it with games.

I stand by not understanding why 343 is still the dev of Halo. They should have absolutely been cut loose after the MCC debacle and left to make a new IP since Halo obviously wasn't it for them.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

ethanol posted:

you race on a controller right? I feel like forza is still pretty ok for controller racing but it's totally wonky on wheels

also yeah, the music in gts is really good, like, shockingly good. i can not understand why there was, literally one music track in forza 7? which played on repeat in the forza menu? I just had to turn it off completely.

I once did a marathon race in gt2 to that stp song and it was really difficult to listen to after the 10th loop.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

i was a forza guy before so i didnt play gt1-6

Barudak
May 7, 2007

GT2 is the last racing game* Ill remember fondly even though, even at the time, I hated every minute of it.

*Stuntman is not a racing game in this scenario

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

gran turismo 2 and forza 4 are by far the best games in the car collector lite-sim genre

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

forza 4 was so fcking good

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

microsoft. bring back project gotham racing. i will buy an xbox. thank you.

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

I am going to buy it.

I have a huge backlog of 360 and xbone games I still want to play. The amped up backwards compatibility will make it worth it to play them on 4k, HDR, with a faster load time, and whatever other improvements they are able to throw. By the time I am done with those, a good set of Series X games should be rolling out.

People are so weird about not wanting to buy at launch. Do you think you'll eventually end up buying it before it drops in price for the first time? If so, buy it now and enjoy the benefits immediately instead of paying the same amount of money later and going all that ime without it.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I got a pc and no 360 backlog anymore

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

Barudak posted:

Laffo phil spencer is good at delivering a service terrible at filling it with games.

I stand by not understanding why 343 is still the dev of Halo. They should have absolutely been cut loose after the MCC debacle and left to make a new IP since Halo obviously wasn't it for them.

I played MCC for the first time last month and thought it was awesome. I don't know what it was like at launch, but they eventually ended up with a great product. Makes sense that they want to wait and make sure they release a great product with next Halo instead of releasing it too early and pissing off people like you again.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
I think that the number of gamers that would not buy the SeX around launch but would buy it before the first major unit price drop is exactly and literally zero.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

just trying out a funny new name for the console here in the xbox thread, let me know how it goes

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

The Grey posted:

I am going to buy it.

I have a huge backlog of 360 and xbone games I still want to play. The amped up backwards compatibility will make it worth it to play them on 4k, HDR, with a faster load time, and whatever other improvements they are able to throw. By the time I am done with those, a good set of Series X games should be rolling out.

People are so weird about not wanting to buy at launch. Do you think you'll eventually end up buying it before it drops in price for the first time? If so, buy it now and enjoy the benefits immediately instead of paying the same amount of money later and going all that ime without it.

i think most people wait for at least one price drop or even for games they want to play to come out. the problem with buying at launch specifically is you get the first run of units which are always the ones most likely to have some issue or flaw thats fixed later on.

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!

The Grey posted:

I am going to buy it.

Have they shown any of this yet? I've read about their HDR reconstruction for non-HDR games, and basing that on other games, and it sounds like it might look incredibly bad and butcher the creators' original vision.

Stux posted:

i think most people wait for at least one price drop or even for games they want to play to come out. the problem with buying at launch specifically is you get the first run of units which are always the ones most likely to have some issue or flaw thats fixed later on.

Has this been the case with anything recent, other than the 360? My launch PS3 and PS4 still worked until I gave them to relatives - and you actually got a worse deal if you didn't buy that first batch of 60GB PS3s that had hardware BC.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

I don't really remember whatever was wrong and bad with the one launch units but the 360 red ring of death debacle absolutely soured me on ever buying a launch window console ever again, not that it matters now I don't have much in the way of a disposable income.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

I don't really remember whatever was wrong and bad with the one launch units but the 360 red ring of death debacle absolutely soured me on ever buying a launch window console ever again, not that it matters now I don't have much in the way of a disposable income.

original bones were designed terribly but were sound machines. a few had some goofy issues* but nothing widespread. the kinect/power brick combo made it a loving joke

theres so much empty space in the giant case, you know they were scared of heat after the 360 but solved their problem in a dumb rear end way and i'm not even gonna start talking about that kinect cause i'll be here all night ranting about how it was gonna record your penis through your clothes and sell it as marketing data.

*a few leaked white goo lmao

Real hurthling! fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Aug 12, 2020

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Ham posted:

Has this been the case with anything recent, other than the 360? My launch PS3 and PS4 still worked until I gave them to relatives - and you actually got a worse deal if you didn't buy that first batch of 60GB PS3s that had hardware BC.

original fat ps3s were also pretty unreliable but the 360 was so much worse that it kinda got drowned out

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

I think that the number of gamers that would not buy the SeX around launch but would buy it before the first major unit price drop is exactly and literally zero.

so a bunch a people are going to buy it at launch, then no one else will but it for two years? Seems unlikely.

Other then the RRD, I am not aware of any major console hardware issues. I am sure Microsoft has learned from that.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

That's so funny because 5 was my first forza and ive played them all since :classiclol:

Because of that I dont have any reference to why the old ones were better, but I agree with everything you said. The music in these games has gotten so god drat bad. I do think I'm the only one that liked the driver suits, though. Unlocking those was the most fun I had in the game lol. In terms of the economy it never felt that hosed to me because I always loaded the separate forza app where they'd just throw currency at you for free every week.

I also invested into the whole Thrustmaster wheel with gearshifter and i never got it to work consistently with the loving game. I think this was due to the wheel being a piece of trash, though.

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

original fat ps3s were also pretty unreliable but the 360 was so much worse that it kinda got drowned out

original PS3s also had PS2 backwards compatibility that was later dropped. Mine is still going strong.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Nuts and Gum posted:

That's so funny because 5 was my first forza and ive played them all since :classiclol:

Because of that I dont have any reference to why the old ones were better, but I agree with everything you said. The music in these games has gotten so god drat bad. I do think I'm the only one that liked the driver suits, though. Unlocking those was the most fun I had in the game lol. In terms of the economy it never felt that hosed to me because I always loaded the separate forza app where they'd just throw currency at you for free every week.

I also invested into the whole Thrustmaster wheel with gearshifter and i never got it to work consistently with the loving game. I think this was due to the wheel being a piece of trash, though.

i wouldn't have anything at all against the driver suits if they had actually given a poo poo about anything else in the game. it's the fact that it feels like those were the only thing they put any effort into whatsoever that i take issue with.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
forza horizon is way better than regular forza and i will not be taking questions at this time

hanyolo
Jul 18, 2013
I am an employee of the Microsoft Gaming Division and they pay me to defend the Xbox One on the Something Awful Forums
Thread title might need an update lol

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Halo indefinite

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Halo 4, 5 and MCC at launch are indicative of not being in the best hands. Gears 4 and 5 give me the exact same vibes, where the games just tread water instead of actually having a vision.

On the other hand you can look through my posts and find out I loved Bleeding Edge.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Ham posted:

Have they shown any of this yet? I've read about their HDR reconstruction for non-HDR games, and basing that on other games, and it sounds like it might look incredibly bad and butcher the creators' original vision.

both xbox and ps4 launch consoles had messed up pads and turn into leaf blowers while the later revision preslim model ps4s and original xbones manage to stay quieter, they also both have disc tray issues that are fixed in later revisions. also it doesnt matter if it doesnt always happen, it is an explicit risk you are shouldering on behalf of the manufacturer because the first mass market models are also the last round of QA. it might not happen, but also you might have an rrod unit. theres no reason to take the risk especially when launch windows are so sparse on games anyway.

personally i go on the rule of i will buy a console if and when it has games i want to play on it, that are released and i know the quality of. any time before that is me just helping out with sales numbers while at the highest possible price it will ever be at for no real reason at all.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!
The crazy thing about Forza is between the mainline and Horizon games they kept up a yearly cadence on that series since like 2011.

Now it's looking like there'll be a four year gap minimum between the last release and likely 2022 as the new Motorsport game is obviously still very early and didn't have the Xbox One branding on the trailer.

They should have had Playground push out another Horizon around launch. Let Turn 10 work on that next gen engine and still have a new game on the current tech. Those games still look incredible.

Fable is god knows how long away anyway.

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

do you own a pc?

No. Would the push be PS if I did?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Snowmankilla posted:

No. Would the push be PS if I did?

In a real sense, yes, as Microsofts gamepass is on PC and all their titles seem to be coming to steam outside of that.

If you only buy PC games through itch.io you're outta luck.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Xbox: there is no halo

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Real hurthling! posted:

Halo indefinite

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

The Grey posted:

I played MCC for the first time last month and thought it was awesome. I don't know what it was like at launch, but they eventually ended up with a great product. Makes sense that they want to wait and make sure they release a great product with next Halo instead of releasing it too early and pissing off people like you again.

It's essentially fixed now but them fixing it happened like less than 6 months ago, over 5 years after the game was released. It was mostly unplayable online for over half a decade. You're enjoying it as someone extraordinarily late to the party when literally everyone who actually gave a poo poo enough to play within the first years of release got burned extremely hard. It was possibly the biggest launch debacle this generation especially given how long it actually took to fix. It's great that you're enjoying it but the damage to public perception of Halo isn't really recoverable now, especially since they hosed up with Halo 5 kind of badly (more in terms of game design than outright bugs) and seem to be loving up Halo Infinite worse, given that it was basically the only first party thing that would be ready at launch.

We all like to joke about consoles launching with no games but that may wind up being literally true in Xbox's case in terms of exclusives. Like there's a nonzero chance the launch lineup for the Series X will have a 100% overlap with the PS5 (I'm not counting Gears 5 getting a patch) but the PS5 will also actually have exclusives. If the PS5 is also cheaper (again) then holy gently caress are they in trouble.

univbee fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Aug 12, 2020

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
If they're going to launch with no real exclusives, and a pretty grim two year window following in terms of big, exclusive releases, they almost certainly have to go with a lower price than PS5.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Dan Didio posted:

If they're going to launch with no real exclusives, and a pretty grim two year window following in terms of big, exclusive releases, they almost certainly have to go with a lower price than PS5.

See the thing is Microsoft isn't that desperate to move the new consoles. They're content with continuing to sell Xbox One S and develop games for it so they can hook people on Gamepass subscriptions. I don't think this is a fight Microsoft particularly cares about actually winning, as long as number (of Gamepass subscribers) go up. Legit they would probably rather have 1 person sub to Gamepass to use on their Android phone than sell 2 Series X consoles, especially if the latter is at a loss.

There's only so much the Series X can be reduced in price and undercutting the PS5 likely won't be possible given the hardware inside it without taking a massive bath that's just going to complicate things forever because that throws their value proposition for the asking price of the One S and Lockhart all out of wack. In fact the most likely reason that Lockhart exists at all is to have a cheap alternative to soften the blow of a hilarious price on the Series X.

univbee fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Aug 12, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

going to disagree and say the company launching with two seperate pieces of hardware care a lot about selling hardware.