Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

I think a problem is that after the additional quirks reveal, we immediately went the to My Villian Academia arc where Deku doesn't appear at all, followed by a short internship with Endeavor were he learned to use Blackwhip well but was mostly focused on Todoroki family drama, and then immediately into the War arc where Deku and friends were off screen for much of it until a few chapters ago.

We haven't actually had much time to give Deku much focus at all since the Joint Training stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Rhonne posted:

I think a problem is that after the additional quirks reveal, we immediately went the to My Villian Academia arc where Deku doesn't appear at all, followed by a short internship with Endeavor were he learned to use Blackwhip well but was mostly focused on Todoroki family drama, and then immediately into the War arc where Deku and friends were off screen for much of it until a few chapters ago.

We haven't actually had much time to give Deku much focus at all since the Joint Training stuff.

Ya and then it also adds a big percentage jump from 15 and 20% to 30 and 45% and he just casually mentions it but it feels like "oh right he did that in training did he?". Whereas the first jump from 5 to 8% had a bunch of comments on it.

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

I do like the idea of Deku gaining multiple quirks from OfA. It'll be a good parallel to AfO where Deku's been entrusted with all his quirks while Shiggy's using a stolen collection.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I don't know what's Shonen Jump and not but Demon Slayer and Hunter x Hunter are the top 'It's called hard work' manga I can think of.

I'm still waiting on Dragon ball Z going full genetics and just having Goku give his friends blood transfusions so they also get S-cell powerboosts.

RareAcumen fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Aug 12, 2020

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

RareAcumen posted:

I don't know what's Shonen Jump and not but Demon Slayer and Hunter x Hunter are the top 'It's called hard work's manga I can think of.

I'm still waiting on Dragon ball Z going full genetics and just having Holy give his friends blood transfusions so they also get S-cell powerboosts.

Anime only watcher for Demon Slayer but Tanjiro's Dad/family seems to be important. At the very least Michael Jackson is afraid of his earrings.

Gon is also the son of a super duper good Hunter (and great grandson of an even more presumably strong person) and possibly a nen baby or something if the Greed Island pregnancy stone theory is true.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Wing (Gon and Killua's first nen teacher) also says Killua and Gon are like 1 in 10 million talents, in contrast to his original student Zushi, who's like 1 in 100,000. Killua is considered the darling of the family, and even the one family member who hates him acknowledges his inborn talent. Killua was also the only one of his siblings to be born with silver hair, like his father and grandfather, which probably means... something?

Which isn't to say that didn't earn their strength (Killua's gone through so much poo poo that being whipped and electrocuted does nothing to him, and HxH devotes a lot of time to showing how Biscuit trains Gon/Killua), but the manga itself does state that they're special.

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

Make Leorio the main character of HxH

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Kild posted:

Anime only watcher for Demon Slayer but Tanjiro's Dad/family seems to be important. At the very least Michael Jackson is afraid of his earrings.

Gon is also the son of a super duper good Hunter (and great grandson of an even more presumably strong person) and possibly a nen baby or something if the Greed Island pregnancy stone theory is true.

Manga reader of Demon Slayer and I won't comment on Tanjiro because of spoilers which might confirm or refute your impressions of him but that doesn't mean him, Zenitsu and Inosuke worked any less hard to get to where they're at.

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Wing (Gon and Killua's first nen teacher) also says Killua and Gon are like 1 in 10 million talents, in contrast to his original student Zushi, who's like 1 in 100,000. Killua is considered the darling of the family, and even the one family member who hates him acknowledges his inborn talent. Killua was also the only one of his siblings to be born with silver hair, like his father and grandfather, which probably means... something?

Which isn't to say that didn't earn their strength (Killua's gone through so much poo poo that being whipped and electrocuted does nothing to him, and HxH devotes a lot of time to showing how Biscuit trains Gon/Killua), but the manga itself does state that they're special.

I only watched the newer anime and definitely forgot about that part. I'm only thinking about the early parts like that massive fish Gon caught and pulled out of the water easily and him and Killua happily sprinting for 80 Kilometers or however long that tunnel was.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Both of those are kind of weird examples; Tanjiro's family's deal is not that they're personally special at all, his ancestors just happened to know the actually-special guy and the stuff he showed the family turned out to be really important and got passed down father-to-son until it reached him. Tanjiro actually being able to use it well is still on him working hard and whatnot.

Hunter x Hunter, meanwhile, Gon and Killua are special, but not so much in that it makes them uniquely powerful as it lets them get powerful faster than most people normally can, and thus they can catch up to the power level of the new plot (albeit sometimes well after the plot's already got going without them being ready yet, which doesn't exactly go well for them). They get in months where other people would take years, but at the same time there's always people around who are decades ahead of them, and a lot of them did work really hard to get there (and in fact in one or two cases win out over Gon and Killua because having to do things the long, hard way means that they have a lot more experience than these two literal children).

It's also not a series that does power level stuff often; cleverness, good planning, the right matchups, and other things are all huge factors in who wins and loses most of the time, with sheer power overwhelming everything else being notable when it happens. And some of the more egregious things the main characters pull, well, have costs involved, and being able to do those things is less them being special and more that they're willing/insane enough to pay the price.

Kurapika has this going even moreso; while he does have an even more obvious special-ness inherent to who he is, it's in how he applies it and the explicitly unreasonable lengths he's willing to go to and danger he'll put himself in that actually makes it so devastating (which is why in the middle-ish of the series he's leapfrogged well ahead of Gon and Killua in power when as of their last meeting Killua was miles ahead and Gon was around the same as Kurapika, give or take a bit; that arc also leads to them realizing that they absolutely can't do the kind of bullshit he does because it is mind-bogglingly self-destructive and dangerous, while Kurapika is busy lying comatose in a bed due to backlash from said bullshit). The manga arc after where the anime left off takes this even further, with Kurapika using some new trick he's developed that seems way too powerful for how easy it is to deploy compared to similar abilities we've seen, only to almost immediately realize how catastrophically he's hosed up with the consequences imposed by it. Trying to be the cool guy who does everything on his own is profoundly stupid, and when we last left off he was still in the process of learning how to actually work with genuine allies properly.

Meanwhile none of them ever come close to the level of power of, say, Netero, who (minor backstory spoilers, compared to the bigger stuff above) after a life of mastering martial arts spent years up on a mountain reaching enlightenment through punching and praying, and who is still probably the strongest human we've seen so far.

Edit: VVV 10,000, not 300, but yes, it was actually pretty intense. He spent a few years doing that, starting at 46 and coming down from the mountain at 50 or so, if the wiki's numbers are right.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Aug 12, 2020

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Roland Jones posted:

Meanwhile none of them ever come close to the level of power of, say, Netero, who (minor backstory spoilers, compared to the bigger stuff above) after a life of mastering martial arts spent years up on a mountain reaching enlightenment through punching and praying, and who is still probably the strongest human we've seen so far.

If anything, Roland is underselling it. Punching and praying 300 times a day until you can't anymore, falling down where you stand and passing out, then standing up when you come to and starting over. Notice that "eating", "drinking", "going anywhere", "doing much of anything", or even "bodily waste functions" is nowhere on that list.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Aug 12, 2020

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

SwissArmyDruid posted:

If anything, Roland is underselling it. Punching and praying 300 times a day until you can't anymore, falling down where you stand and passing out, then standing up when you come to and starting over. Notice that "eating", "drinking", "going anywhere", "doing much of anything", or even "bodily waste functions" is nowhere on that list.

Still less impressive than the exercise regime for THE example of hard work over natural talent in action manga.

100 situps, pushups and squats and a 10 km run, every day!

Make sure to eat three meals a day. Just a banana for breakfast is fine, if you're in a hurry.

And no AC! Not even when it's really hot outside.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Can I just say rock lee ftmfw

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

SwissArmyDruid posted:

10000 times a day.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

MonsterEnvy posted:

10000 times a day.

poo poo, was it 10,000 times? Why did I remember 300?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Because you're a sensible soul tethered into sensible numbers. Not someone who clearly has more in common with Akuma from Street Fighter.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

SwissArmyDruid posted:

poo poo, was it 10,000 times? Why did I remember 300?

Also 300 praying punches would not take that long.

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
Yeah that's like 30 minutes at 6 seconds a repetition or w/e his starting time was

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

RareAcumen posted:

I don't know what's Shonen Jump and not but Demon Slayer and Hunter x Hunter are the top 'It's called hard work' manga I can think of.

I'm still waiting on Dragon ball Z going full genetics and just having Goku give his friends blood transfusions so they also get S-cell powerboosts.

I think Kenichi had that "hard work" ideal mostly, not that they really nailed the execution as it went on.

Sub Harrison posted:

I do like the idea of Deku gaining multiple quirks from OfA. It'll be a good parallel to AfO where Deku's been entrusted with all his quirks while Shiggy's using a stolen collection.

All Might showed that unlocking the full potential of even one of the One for All aspects turns you into a demigod capable of destroying cities, unlocking all of them is a substantial escalation from merely being a walking tactical nuke.

I still think the most cathartic ending is while Shigaraki keeps acquiring personal power and his small team of supervillians, Deku will come to realize that his personal power isn't important (contrary to common shonen rules I know). I am confident that trope wise Hori is taking this in the direction where in the end Deku discovers how to split the power and pass it to his friends to create a globe protecting justice league. Its easy to see that while the current struggle to master just a sliver of the quirk now can be extrapolated to "OfA currently is more power than any one person can utilize in an entire lifetime", and I think is related to the quirk singularity they keep bringing up. We already had the precedent of the 'embers' that were left when deku received it whole, so how about he passes some bonfires in reverse? Especially if combined with passing some of the extra quirks in tandem.

I feel its a certain outcome since the western comic inspiration is very heavy on The Team vs big bad.

Professorjuggalo
Oct 22, 2019

by Cyrano4747
I figured it was gonna end with everyone quirkless and having to deal with poo poo like tokoyami with human hair but that’s not bad

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Professorjuggalo posted:

I figured it was gonna end with everyone quirkless and having to deal with poo poo like tokoyami with human hair but that’s not bad

Wasn't there one of the extra info things that mentions that Tokoyami's "feathers" is actually human hair?

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
What even happens if a morph type gets hit by the dequirk bullet?

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

ChronoReverse posted:

My guess is like Mystique in the third X Men movie; they just turn into a normal-looking person.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

ChronoReverse posted:

Wouldn't it be the same thing as Eraser's quirk? Nothing would happen to their physical body/appearance

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

ChronoReverse posted:

I think they'd retain all their non-human features but would lose any powers. So like, Tokoyami would still be birdhead, he just couldn't summon Dark Shadow.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Kanos posted:

I think they'd retain all their non-human features but would lose any powers. So like, Tokoyami would still be birdhead, he just couldn't summon Dark Shadow.

And his human teeth would fall out

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Jerkface posted:

Wouldn't it be the same thing as Eraser's quirk? Nothing would happen to their physical body/appearance

Don't they mention something along the lines of how Eraserhead just suppresses the activation of quirks, but the quirk-deleting bullets actually attack and destroy the quirk-gene.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Gruckles posted:

Don't they mention something along the lines of how Eraserhead just suppresses the activation of quirks, but the quirk-deleting bullets actually attack and destroy the quirk-gene.

Yeah there was some confusing text about that which didn't make a whole lot of sense and doesn't seem to have been relevant at all beyond an excuse as to why Eraser didn't know about the bullets or how Eri's power works.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Eri's power destroying quirks also never made much sense iirc.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

EmmyOk posted:

Eri's power destroying quirks also never made much sense iirc.

Ehh it sorta does in the sense that it rewinds people to before they got their quirk I guess. Except it doesn't actually de-age them?? Frankly I'm not really sure how Eri's quirk works.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
It specifically only rewinds the quirk factor until it doesn't exist. So magic.

For normal quirks sure that destroys the quirk but for mutant types it's really up in the air what exactly happens. But I bet they'll just say it's the same as Aizawa to make it simpler.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

If her power is rewinding then how could she ever give Mirio his quirk back, unless she rewinds her own rewind and :psypop:

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

But people are born with their quirk factor just not the manifestation presumably so that doesn’t make sense. Also presumably it’s regrow?

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Arist posted:

If her power is rewinding then how could she ever give Mirio his quirk back, unless she rewinds her own rewind and :psypop:

Eri’s quirk has both the property of Ctrl + Z and Ctrl + Y

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Tbh I think any Shonen author but togashi has gotten themselves in trouble when they add complexity or depth to their battle system later on

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

EmmyOk posted:

Tbh I think any Shonen author but togashi has gotten themselves in trouble when they add complexity or depth to their battle system later on
HxH having chapters that are 2 page spreads of solid text I think is getting in trouble

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

It’s always been text dense and not always about Nen either. Plus imo hisoka vs Chrollo it’s super text dense but works perfectly

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

EmmyOk posted:

Zatch Bell was good

Professorjuggalo
Oct 22, 2019

by Cyrano4747

EmmyOk posted:

It’s always been text dense and not always about Nen either. Plus imo hisoka vs Chrollo it’s super text dense but works perfectly

I’m sure if every other mangaka had the benefit of only having to write 3 out of 10 years they could come up with some crazy poo poo too, the fact it takes togashi years for tiny batches kinda takes away from it all

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

EmmyOk posted:

There's "text dense" and there's completely failing to use the medium. A lot of Hunter X Hunter falls into category 2.

I'm not even saying it's bad. I am saying that's a legitimate area for criticism, and the way a lot of Hunter X Hunter fans talk about the manga makes me skeptical of even the reasonable sounding praise for it.

Someone says "Yeah, working with a more complicated power system in a shonen fight manga can make things get messy, but I think Hunter X Hunter handles it pretty well overall.", I go "Huh, that's interesting. Maybe I'll check Hunter X Hunter out sometime."

Someone says "Every author except Togashi has trouble", and then "Only having one panel with pictures in a two page spread isn't trouble!", I go "Huh. Hunter X Hunter fans will praise Hunter X Hunter to the heavens no matter what it does. Guess it's not that good after all."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

i haven't read much of hxh but the one example i sort of fixate on is that one hisoka fight in the boxing ring where the visuals and actual panels and what is shown did an amazing job of show don't tell in this very complex fight, but on top of it there was a play by play word for word explain like i'm 5 paragraph on each page breaking down every single action and thought that was being very well illustrated in the visuals alone, it was bizarre