Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Coffee?
This poll is closed.
Yay! 54 34.39%
Nay. 43 27.39%
O-kay? 24 15.29%
Whatever. 36 22.93%
Total: 157 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Spiritus Nox posted:

It's an IP where sometimes the writer just goes "I think I'll reimagine this historical figure as a cute anime girl (or an ultra-buff dude (or whatever the hell they feel like writing that day))"

"Hey what should we make the new character?"

"dude i just played dark souls 2 it's so good"

"That doesn't answer my question"

"doesn't it?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I still don't know what this means.

Read a loving book for once in your life

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

And by which of course I mean Muv-Luv Extra

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
what the.. why's elizabeth bathory a dragon!?! this poo poo makes no loving sense

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The Colonel posted:

what the.. why's elizabeth bathory a dragon!?! this poo poo makes no loving sense

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
also nero is one of the main characters in a subseries where a varying but usually significant focus of the writing is on sexuality, she came around at a time when fate wasn't as megahuge yet so her being reminiscent of f/sn saber in general made more sense, she was designed by a lady who draws art of women from the games macking on each other and it's fun to have a game where you can be a lesbian who gets hit on by a hot bisexual woman who wears a dress that shows off her legs

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Also her boobs

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Hope this is the appropriate thread for more meta anime community stuff; I'm suddenly seeing a lot of hot takes on my twitter feed by artists who I think should really know better suggesting that it's improper for other artists to redraw their art. I'm just like, "Really? You're going to jettison an entire aspect of artistic criticism, because you're really mad at people not liking this one character's design?"

Maybe it's a little presented a little presumptuously "I fixed it", but from an objective stand point the principle of the act I think squarely falls under constructive criticism. Like that one webpage that redrew comic book covers that had suggestive poses of female superheroes to give them proper anatomy and poses that wouldn't be painful. It's clearly depicting itself as "fixing" something, and is doing so in a way that clearly acts as a form of artistic expression and criticism.

Why get mad over this.

The Colonel posted:

Because her house symbol is a Dragon or something along those lines I believe. Or she's related to the Dragon of Budapest?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the uzaki stuff is boring because it's just the regular seasonal obsessing over the popularly controversial bad anime, except there's nothing notably bad enough this season so people are just fixating on a random boring comedy anime with titties in it

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Raenir Salazar posted:

Hope this is the appropriate thread for more meta anime community stuff; I'm suddenly seeing a lot of hot takes on my twitter feed by artists who I think should really know better suggesting that it's improper for other artists to redraw their art. I'm just like, "Really? You're going to jettison an entire aspect of artistic criticism, because you're really mad at people not liking this one character's design?"

Maybe it's a little presented a little presumptuously "I fixed it", but from an objective stand point the principle of the act I think squarely falls under constructive criticism. Like that one webpage that redrew comic book covers that had suggestive poses of female superheroes to give them proper anatomy and poses that wouldn't be painful. It's clearly depicting itself as "fixing" something, and is doing so in a way that clearly acts as a form of artistic expression and criticism.

Why get mad over this.
redrawing someones art is fine, redrawing someones art and going I FIXED IT is really tacky and, more importantly, boring and lame

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also that webpage you're referring to led almost entirely to woke white dudes harassing women for drawing sexy art, in my experience

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Endorph posted:

also that webpage you're referring to led almost entirely to woke white dudes harassing women for drawing sexy art, in my experience

Gee, who could've predicted that?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Dangerous Person posted:

I wanna replay Shadow Dragon but at the same time I know better
It's a perfectly serviceable Fire Emblem. Like it's not the best Fire Emblem ever but it's fine. It's functional. Makes number go up with stats and such. And even if Marth's original adventure kinda shows its age even as a remake, it still has its charm.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

phrasing the question so obliquely makes it almost entirely pointless to ask at all

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

dogsicle posted:

phrasing the question so obliquely makes it almost entirely pointless to ask at all

also yeah lol 'a certain series' 'certain artists' just tell us about the internet drama you're clearly here to bitch about, dont make it so vague in an attempt to get people to agree with you

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Endorph posted:

I don't think the creator's of that webpage are responsible for the actions of other people, nor does it reflect on the validity of those critiques being made by that webpage. I don't think anyone here would disagree that harassment is wrong under virtually any circumstance and that there's nothing wrong with sexy art.

Endorph posted:

redrawing someones art is fine, redrawing someones art and going I FIXED IT is really tacky and, more importantly, boring and lame

So I agree that it's tacky, but if they had presented it in a more constructive way, like, "I felt that her proportions were wrong and knowing that a lot of people like me want to get into drawing anime art, it's good to have a solid grasp of proportion, so here's my version to try to make her design more dynamic and abide by a better grasp of human anatomy" or something like that would have been perfectly fine as long as we look at it from behind the veil of ignorance. Artists shouldn't have such thin skin that they can't respond to criticism with anything other than rage and rejecting the very idea that someone can criticize their art.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I agree that in an alternate universe it would have been fine. unfortunately the person was literally calling the creator and the people who like uzaki pedophiles, so perhaps there is a reason they responded defensively. I don't think getting mad about getting called a pedophile for liking a sex comedy about an adult woman is being thin skinned.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Endorph posted:

I agree that in an alternate universe it would have been fine. unfortunately the person was literally calling the creator and the people who like uzaki pedophiles, so perhaps there is a reason they responded defensively. I don't think getting mad about getting called a pedophile for liking a sex comedy about an adult woman is being thin skinned.

Uzaki-chan's barely even a sex comedy as it is.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Uzaki's barely even a sex comedy.
boobs jiggle sometimes it counts, a little

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

There's nothing even particularly childlike about her design. She's just a little short. Short adults exist.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
SUGOI
DEKAI

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Endorph posted:

I agree that in an alternate universe it would have been fine. unfortuantely the person was literally calling the creator and the people who like uzaki pedophiles, so perhaps there is a reason they responded defensively.

:confused: Uh, that doesn't appear to be the context from what I'm seeing. I'm seeing mainly people retweet the same thing about some 3-4 artists who did a redesign of the character, and insulting them for doing so. I don't see any context where any of them called anyone a pedo, maybe its possible one of them did in some other tweet or in one of the replies, but I find it hard to believe it's all of them.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Waffleman_ posted:

There's nothing even particularly childlike about her design. She's just a little short. Short adults exist.
let me consult the body proportions chart

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Waffleman_ posted:

More than a little short. She looks like she's about 4'5", and that's if Sakurai is really, really tall.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Raenir Salazar posted:

:confused: Uh, that doesn't appear to be the context from what I'm seeing. I'm seeing mainly people retweet the same thing about some 3-4 artists who did a redesign of the character, and insulting them for doing so. I don't see any context where any of them called anyone a pedo, maybe its possible one of them did in some other tweet or in one of the replies, but I find it hard to believe it's all of them.
well maybe you should link the tweets youre talking about instead of leaving me to imagine them dude

and if you think linking them would be bringing up unrelated drama why are you bringing this up at all

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

More than a little short. She looks like she's about 4'5".
she's 150cm according to the character profiles, so about 4'9''ish

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Endorph posted:

she's 150cm according to the character profiles, so about 4'9''ish

I suppose that could a perfectly normal height for a gremlin.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

And the Japanese are a pretty short people. Look at all the "tall" characters in various anime who end up being like 5'8" or something.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Waffleman_ posted:

And the Japanese are a pretty short people. Look at all the "tall" characters in various anime who end up being like 5'8" or something.
jupiter from sailor moon is only 5'6'' lol

which is obviously very tall for a japanese middle school girl but the show has her towering over adult men and stuff sometimes

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

this seems like a situation where no one with any of the bad opinions is actually posting here. so its just people arguing past each other about a tweet nobody else has seen

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet

Wark Say posted:

It's a perfectly serviceable Fire Emblem. Like it's not the best Fire Emblem ever but it's fine. It's functional. Makes number go up with stats and such. And even if Marth's original adventure kinda shows its age even as a remake, it still has its charm.

You make very valid points but that game ugly

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
just speaking on the part about doing redlines or redraws on someone else's art, if they didn't ask for a critique then it's rude imo

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Varinn posted:

this seems like a situation where no one with any of the bad opinions is actually posting here. so its just people arguing past each other about a tweet nobody else has seen

well i'm sure they could've/would've been posted here if the initial intent didn't seem to be obfuscating the context enough to get support for what is just the usual stupid puritan poo poo

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Rolling in with "I fixed the gross design and made her look like an actual adult (plus froggy :P)" does not generally suggest the best intentions. Moreover the character is a college student, shown in college, doing college student things, and still being called a child similarly does not suggest good faith.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Endorph posted:

well maybe you should link the tweets youre talking about instead of leaving me to imagine them dude

and if you think linking them would be bringing up unrelated drama why are you bringing this up at all

Well, I didn't link them because I didn't feel it was necessary because I wanted a discussion around some of the meta aspects of the anime artist community, and to avoid people just mocking the tweet or potentially harassing them even if they're being lovely.

But there does seem to be confusion so here you go, seeing this one all over my feed and people reacting with Hot Takes about it: https://twitter.com/ZeroT_H/status/1293232589772337157

I agree the people being screencapped are being tacky; but they're at a glance aren't in the wrong and the response seems preformative and disproportionate. Especially since the redesigns in question if you look past the variable lack of technique are quite charming.

dogsicle posted:

well i'm sure they could've/would've been posted here if the initial intent didn't seem to be obfuscating the context enough to get support for what is just the usual stupid puritan poo poo

You really gotta stop with this strawmaning, I am not even remotely puritan.

Raenir Salazar fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Aug 12, 2020

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I mean they turned an anime into Definitely Not An Anime so it's at the very least weird.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Raenir Salazar posted:

Well, I didn't link them because I didn't feel it was necessary because I wanted a discussion around some of the meta aspects of the anime artist community, and to avoid people just mocking the tweet or potentially harassing them even if they're being lovely.

But there does seem to be confusion so here you go, seeing this one all over my feed and people reacting with Hot Takes about it: https://twitter.com/ZeroT_H/status/1293232589772337157

I agree the people being screencapped are being tacky; but they're at a glance aren't in the wrong and the response seems preformative and disproportionate.

https://twitter.com/catlateral_/status/1293072689150808064

one person posted there calling everyone who disagrees pedos

https://twitter.com/willcove/status/1292901368668098560

'making her look 19' and also the second part being 'fiction affects reality!' ie there is something bad about uzaki that must be corrected

and the third person's tweets are protected so i wont comment on them

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Waffleman_ posted:

It kills me every time medusa's height is brought up in fate.

Wark Say posted:

IMO the remake is better because of some of the fun stuff you can do like ironman trial by devil axe. :v:

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Raenir Salazar posted:

You really gotta stop with this strawmaning, I am not even remotely puritan.

i'm referring to people like the ones being screencapped in the tweet you posted

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i dont think these people deserve to be harassed or anything especially since one of them is literally 16 but they went out of their way to be inflammatory

and the person whose tweet you quoted said nothing about critique or redrawing, just that it was obviously inflammatory and intentionally rude (which it was)