Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Okay thx.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Sab669 posted:

Has anyone read Lords of Silence? How was it?

It's good. Not Classic Literature, but above average for a 40K book. It makes Death Guard more engaging.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
We finally got shipped the turbo dork color shift paints and I'm in love. This is with a quick black undercoat and an airbrush. This is crystal cavern.

Snail Information
May 29, 2010

Snailmancy
It sounds like most of the 40k books arent worth the time at all. I've also noticed that all 40k writers are dudes, which feels weird given the trends in scifi books for the last almost decade? I read the Eisenhorn/Ravenor books, but the endings of all of them were complete garbage, and I had to continuously remind myself that I was really reading pulpy schlock and I could treat myself to something good like Ann Leckie afterwards. I got halfway through the Baneblade book, and I just got bored, there was nothing interesting happening. The "historical" 40k fiction I can really get behind though. I think I read all of siege of vraks in a single day. The imperial armor stuff is really neat. I'm going to have to get the Badab War stuff.

Snail Information fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Aug 12, 2020

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
Helsreach was good

Compulsive_Liar
May 24, 2004

Would I lie to you?
Pillbug

Hot Karl Marx posted:

I was reading dark imperium I think it was called, and it had like 30 pages dedicated to the logistics of quarantining a whole planet or something and it just went on and on and on so I just skipped that entire part of the novel

I started reading it last week and stopped when I hit that part, maybe I should just skip that bit too

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

There's a bit in Lords of Silence where they describe how an Agri-world works, in the most hosed-up 40k way possible and I think that's my favourite part of the book.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

The best part of Lords of Silence is how the Plague marines are cat ladies and the cats are nurglings

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

TKIY posted:

So what's the maximum?

I mean it sort of depends on the army and the size of the game you're playing?

Onslaught means both players start with 18CP, and then you can have models that grant CP for whatever reason, such as Creed giving you 2CP for being your warlord, meaning you'd start with 20.

Then of course you earn 1 every turn, you can have the AM relic that earns you 1 on a 5+ when your opponent spends a CP, and then you could use one of the Inquisition strats to gain CP for killing a character near an Inquisitor.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Snail Information posted:

It sounds like most of the 40k books arent worth the time at all. I've also noticed that all 40k writers are dudes, which feels weird given the trends in scifi books for the last almost decade? I read the Eisenhorn/Ravenor books, but the endings of all of them were complete garbage, and I had to continuously remind myself that I was really reading pulpy schlock and I could treat myself to something good like Ann Leckie afterwards. I got halfway through the Baneblade book, and I just got bored, there was nothing interesting happening. The "historical" 40k fiction I can really get behind though. I think I read all of siege of vraks in a single day. The imperial armor stuff is really neat. I'm going to have to get the Badab War stuff.

While most prolific authors are male Black Library does have a couple of female writers these days as well. In particular Rachel Harrison who wrote Honorbound. Sarah Cawkwell wrote a couple of stories a few years back and I believe there is a couple of female authors having done short stories for BL as well.

Winklebottom posted:

The best part of Lords of Silence is how the Plague marines are cat ladies and the cats are nurglings

And they call the Nurglings "Little lords".

Snail Information
May 29, 2010

Snailmancy
How is Honorbound?

HeavingGirth
Oct 6, 2014

I'm making an effort to read all the HH novels in order, but taking breaks to read other books/series, and let me tell you: nothing derailed my interest quite like a Nick Kyme book. Some of the short stories are hit or miss too. My favorite legion is the Word Bearers and it sucks cause either they get treated well (meaning ADB is writing) or a single Ultramarine missing both his arms kills 300 Word Bearers with a stern lecture about why his legion is the best.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
No intention (for now) of building a GSC army, but I had to get this guy! If I did do a GSC they'd definitely have to be The Good, The Bad and The Weyland Yutani.

There's a bit of greenstuff work on the helmet I'm not super pleased with, but it turned out OK. Wish I'd decided to go the helmet route before painting 90% of the figure.

Legendary Ptarmigan
Sep 21, 2007

Need a light?

This is the optimum phrase. Much of the 40k well-thought of 40k "canon" was written in the early 2000s. The first Gaunt's Ghosts novel came out in 1999, Eisenhorn in 2001, and Horus Rising in 2006. The '00s Black Library was very much hit or miss, which is why the same couple of novels keep getting recommended as starting points because they meet the two requirements of being a) somewhat approachable and b) not complete shite. I think Black Library consisted wholey of 5 white British dudes in 2000.

The fact that almost 20 years on these are still the go to novels to start reading about 40k is really an indictment of the doldrums the GW and BL were in. You are right in that the average 40k novel is not as good as the average scifi novel that actually makes it to publishing because the 40k novel exists as a tie-in vehicle to push the 40k brand as a whole more so than exist on its own merit.

The volume of stuff that gets published means that one does have to sort out the stuff worth reading. Thankfully a number of posters have made shortlists of Heresy novels worth reading, and there's quite a bit of concensus on the top 10. The Gaunt and Eisenhorn series will be mentioned. I like the Ciaphas Cain series for their change of pace, although they get somewhat repetitive.

In terms of more recent stuff, I liked Carcharadons: Red Tithe and Outer Dark. Rites of Passage is a find novel about the civilian side of Navigator politics. Honorbound is a well-written spiritual successor to the Gaunt series with a female commissar and author. Devastation of Baal was good if you like all space marine action, all the time.

So read the good novels if you want, or don't. Nobody is forcing you to partake. The tone of your post just comes across as looking down on anyone who has enjoyed a 40k book.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

If the paratext/non-fiction is your speed (and it sure as gently caress is mine) you should maybe look at the Sabbat War and Tactica Imperialis background books Abnett wrote. Xenology is also v.deece.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

How is Honorbound?

I'll tell you once I get around to reading it. :shobon: I've had in my shelf for a while but haven't started on it because the only reading I do these days is on the loo and I prefer something more skimmable then for the most part.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Everyone should have a copy of The Imperial Infantryman's Uplifting Primer.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

does it spray well in high humidity?

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

JBP posted:

Everyone should have a copy of The Imperial Infantryman's Uplifting Primer.

I have both editions and the Munitorium manual as well. :D

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

I read the Eisenhorn/Ravenor books, but the endings of all of them were complete garbage, and I had to continuously remind myself that I was really reading pulpy schlock and I could treat myself to something good like Ann Leckie afterwards.

This is the way to go. Start with Eisenhorn because it's near the top of the list of everyone who reads the stuff. If you bounce off that, it's safe to give the rest of the Black Library genre stuff a pass - with the possible exception of the historical stuff, as several people have pointed out.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
So is there a way to get your hands on the Imperial Armour books for less than $350?

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Maneck posted:

This is the way to go. Start with Eisenhorn because it's near the top of the list of everyone who reads the stuff. If you bounce off that, it's safe to give the rest of the Black Library genre stuff a pass - with the possible exception of the historical stuff, as several people have pointed out.

I disagree. I also found Eisenhorn to be a boring slog, and yet I quite liked the early Horus Heresy stuff. I also have enjoyed the more recent Chris Wraight series about the Custodes.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
It's not Horus Heresy but I really enjoyed the Night Lords series by Aaron Dembski-Bowden. I haven't read much 40k literature (just Eisenhorn and Ravenor) but it was definitely enjoyable as a book series on its own merit.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Mikey Purp posted:

So is there a way to get your hands on the Imperial Armour books for less than $350?

The plan was to retire the old books so they could launch a new edition of them close to launch of 9th. Due to COVID they did the first part but not the second.

Because theyre out of print theres probably nothing morally wrong about using :filez:

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Honorbound was solid, worth tracking down the prequel short stories as well. Definitely heavily inspired by Gaunt’s Ghosts, just with a lady commissar.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
Rites of Passage was pretty decent. It follows a Navigator who is an atypical BL protagonist in that she is old and cranky and does not want to be involved in any of this poo poo. Bonus points it really ticked off a bunch of chuds by having a non-binary character.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry
I can't believe all this Eisenhorn bashing going on here. Literal heresy.

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Lizard Combatant posted:

No intention (for now) of building a GSC army, but I had to get this guy! If I did do a GSC they'd definitely have to be The Good, The Bad and The Weyland Yutani.

There's a bit of greenstuff work on the helmet I'm not super pleased with, but it turned out OK. Wish I'd decided to go the helmet route before painting 90% of the figure.

This is cool.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
In here we have people hating Eisenhorn, and in the BL thread we had someone suggest Battle For The Abyss as an enjoyable read. Truly the isolation mindworms have taken us all.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Gunder posted:

I disagree. I also found Eisenhorn to be a boring slog, and yet I quite liked the early Horus Heresy stuff. I also have enjoyed the more recent Chris Wraight series about the Custodes.

Sister of Silence Aleya is perhaps my favorite character in all of 40K. I love her determined snarkiness.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Kitchner posted:

I can't believe all this Eisenhorn bashing going on here. Literal heresy.

:hmmyes:

Even if Eisenhorn were not e.deece books it would be enough that they establish the canonicity of ekranoplans in the grimdarkness of the far future.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Seldom Posts posted:

This is cool.

:cheersbird:

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

hooman posted:

It's not Horus Heresy but I really enjoyed the Night Lords series by Aaron Dembski-Bowden. I haven't read much 40k literature (just Eisenhorn and Ravenor) but it was definitely enjoyable as a book series on its own merit.

Does Night Lords go into detail about Mr. Night Haunter, or is it mostly about the legion

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

More about a crew of dudes in the Legion. One guy won’t stop suckin his teeth though.

Is there anything in the Sisters of Battle box that was exclusive? Seeing it up to like $400 now and was curious.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Does Night Lords go into detail about Mr. Night Haunter, or is it mostly about the legion

It talks a lot about the Primarch, and his legion's differing views on him post-assassination

MRLOLAST
May 9, 2013

^burtle posted:

More about a crew of dudes in the Legion. One guy won’t stop suckin his teeth though.

Is there anything in the Sisters of Battle box that was exclusive? Seeing it up to like $400 now and was curious.

The canoness was exclusive I think.

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

Lizard Combatant posted:

Man, this looks so much like the STALKER ecologists cult I've been dreaming about painting! Excellent work :o

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

It talks a lot about the Primarch, and his legion's differing views on him post-assassination

Yeah, for someone who isn't really a character in the books, the Nighthaunter casts a very long shadow over the plot of the novels and there's a lot of time put into his disciples varied understanding of his philosophy. Especially as nobody has any concrete answers because it's all from their own memories and interpretations of him long past.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

inscrutable horse posted:

Man, this looks so much like the STALKER ecologists cult I've been dreaming about painting! Excellent work :o

That sounds rad :v:, you totally should!

And thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snail Information
May 29, 2010

Snailmancy

Legendary Ptarmigan posted:

The tone of your post just comes across as looking down on anyone who has enjoyed a 40k book.

I mean I've enjoyed the Abnett stuff and related lore, I definitely don't look down on people who enjoy 40k novels. I just don't think they are going to be the kinda scifi that is thought-provoking or particularly moving. I guess I sort of put them as the action movies of books for the kinda genre fiction I read. Based on the suggestions of folks here I'm going to try some of the dark coil stuff.
Also the (old) Eisenhorn trilogy was a fun adventure, and I know this has been posted about a few pages back, but Abnett really cannot end books well. It's not bashing it, I just felt unsatisfied, which is perhaps the point.