Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Vote to threadban Bioshuffle
This poll is closed.
Yes (Goku) 146 85.38%
No (also Goku) 25 14.62%
Total: 171 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Arglebargle III posted:

As a chemistry teacher I'm still mad about episode 2. There are so many ways to asphyxiate someone, people do it to themselves by accident. Buy some dry ice! Buy some ethyl acetate, or acetone, or whatever! You have the guy in a small room, just dump ten cans of acetone on the floor and shut the door. He'll be dead in half an hour. But noooooo

edit: spray some paint on his face and they'll call it an overdose, bing boom so simple!

Well yes, but dumping some acetone and leaving isn’t as cinematic as what happened

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

his diamond skin should have acted as a puncture-proof bodybag based on his power, but is any of that is as funny as an explosive suppository though?

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Arglebargle III posted:

As a chemistry teacher I'm still mad about episode 2. There are so many ways to asphyxiate someone, people do it to themselves by accident. Buy some dry ice! Buy some ethyl acetate, or acetone, or whatever! You have the guy in a small room, just dump ten cans of acetone on the floor and shut the door. He'll be dead in half an hour. But noooooo

edit: spray some paint on his face and they'll call it an overdose, bing boom so simple!

Oh come on, be fun with it. Open up a nitrogen tank, he'll sit there talking and bitching right up until he drops unconscious and never realize what's going on. The autopsy wouldn't even say what happened, he'll just be dead.

Though they did say someone tried that with a different supe in the past and it didn't work for some reason, but they didn't go into details.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
The horrifying reality would have been blood gushing out of every hole god put in his body while it distends into a spherical shape, but like kripke said, never let reality get in the way of fun.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Some guys in Russia killed themselves by dumping dry ice into an indoor swimming pool. If only the writers had seen that video before they wrote the first season. Their deaths could have put some good into the world.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

They mentioned that he was immune to asphyxiation as it was tried by a terrorist group in the past. So I guess they just skipped the gas ideas?

Also arse-bomb lmao

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo
So I realized today just how much of a complete moron The Deep is.

I've been re-watching the show and remembered when he was telling Stillwell how he wanted to do more to save sea life, he mentioned the Japanese dolphin killing festival from that really sad depressing documentary.

Well I realized at work today he doesn't even need to stop the fishermen from killing all those dolphins because he can talk to the dolphins directly.

I mean, he could tell the dolphins to warn the other ones to stay away from that particular bay- but assuming they aren't reliable enough to pass that info on (seems like they wouldn't be) he could just take vacation time just before the festival, rent a boat, park it in international waters (I'm assuming he has a limit on how far/fast he can swim- otherwise just rent a hotel in South Korea and swim from there) then just sit underwater outside that bay and warn the dolphins with whatever the dolphin language equivalent of "get out of here or they'll kill you!" is.

If they can't round up any dolphins to capture or kill every year for a few years, it'd just be a matter of time till they called the festival off completely. And no one would have any idea The Deep was even involved.

:coolfish:

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Yeah but there’s no way they would fund the Deep doing real eco-philanthropy if they couldn’t monetize it

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Eat This Glob posted:

his diamond skin should have acted as a puncture-proof bodybag based on his power, but is any of that is as funny as an explosive suppository though?

Actually the bomb exploding and shooting all his guts out through his rear end in a top hat, blasting his body around the room like an invisible bottle rocket would've been pretty incredible.

Bust Rodd posted:

Yeah but there’s no way they would fund the Deep doing real eco-philanthropy if they couldn’t monetize it

The Seven are all rich enough, and they don't seem to keep particularly close tabs on the team aside from scheduled events. Deep's just an idiot.

McSpanky fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Jul 16, 2021

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Yea, remember in season 1 there was a lot of mentioning of licensing and toys and whatnot.

Deep is just a frat bro who can talk to fish, basically.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

McSpanky posted:

The Seven are all rich enough, and they don't seem to keep particularly close tabs on the team aside from scheduled events. Deep's just an idiot.

I wouldn't be so sure about that, in the comics at least there is a huge disparity in profits between the various members of the seven between the A-listers - Homelander, Maeve - and the rest (as the Translucent equivalent is quick to remind everyone in the first Seven meeting we get to see). They are still all very rich, but it's the difference between a random bench warmer and a star player in a major league team.

Also the one thing the Seven are much kept under tabs by Vought is PR - even more now with social medias being so much more pervasive than when the comics were written.

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Aug 10, 2020

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Just saw a photo from S2 that I don't think we've seen before. No spoilers, but: owwwwww.

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
You just going to leave us hanging then?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Bertha the Toaster posted:

You just going to leave us hanging then?

It's in a print magazine. But to describe it.

It's the Female ripping off a guy's face with it still partially attached to his head.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

So I realized today just how much of a complete moron The Deep is.

The Deep makes sense once you realize that he's the super-hero version of a Himbo.

He has the looks and guns but at the end of day is dumb as a pile of bricks like in the hilarious dolphin rescue scene from S1.

etalian fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Aug 10, 2020

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

etalian posted:

The Deep makes sense once you realize that he's the super-hero version of a Himbo.

He has the looks and guns but at the end of day is dumb as a break like in the hilarious dolphin rescue scene from S1.

Hey.

Don't forgot the lobster "rescue".

ptkfvk
Apr 30, 2013

its the guy from the liberty mutual commercial. liberty biberty

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo
Season 2 casting spoiler- Shawn Ashmore joins season 2 cast as Lamplighter Not surprising with how much Lamplighter was name dropped in season 1.

Zazz Razzamatazz fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Aug 10, 2020

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

Season 2 casting spoiler- Shawn Ashmore joins season 2 cast as Lamplighter Not surprising with how much Lamplighter was name dropped in season 1.

I knew that person was in the show, and some of what they'll be doing, but not who they were playing.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
I wonder if they’ll still go with the V-Zombie thing with that.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

Bring the entire cast of the X-men movies and see if anyone notices...

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Dr. Clockwork posted:

Spoilers for S2, read at your own peril:

From what I have heard, the answer is no. I was very surprised when Ashmore turned out to be that character, as I had seen him described only as "a mysterious figure connected with the Seven" and that he will be working with the Boys at one point.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

etalian posted:

Bring the entire cast of the X-men movies and see if anyone notices...

They haven't really shown the G-Men, so it's always a possibility.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

McSpanky posted:

I don’t think The Deep is independently wealthy because he had to stay in that lovely hotel. I think it’s like an expense account deal, and I guess A-Train had sponsorships?

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

Bust Rodd posted:

I don’t think The Deep is independently wealthy because he had to stay in that lovely hotel. I think it’s like an expense account deal, and I guess A-Train had sponsorships?

They all had contracts and it sounded like it was similar to Hollywood actor stuff. They get percentages of profits, like from movies and merch, and some of them were smart enough to get better lawyers or have better sales. The Deep is probably pretty low just because his main thing seems to be not-Seaworld and the occasional movie. Translucent seemed to have a pretty huge franchise he headed even if he wasn't one of the big 3, same with A-Train and sponsorships.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
I think Deep expected the company to put him up in some fancy place and was upset when he saw it was just like a normal hotel room and treated him like a lower class employee for his gently caress ups. They probably have their meals cooked for them in the big tower and stuff like that. Now Deep has to do his own grocery shopping. It's a punishment for him.

He probably does have a lot of money, maybe not as much as A-Train or Translucent, but he still did advertising and stuff.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I could see them being financially beholden to Vought, the same way BoyBand members are hosed by their contracts so they can't get big and strike out on their own.

PopClaw was in a few B-grade films and a Jr league and she still had to do the equivalent of the ComicCon Fan Hustle. She wasn't living big.

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

Dr. Clockwork posted:

If this were on the same level as the AMC Preacher adaptation I would say definitely but this show isn't campy enough to get away with a racist Irishman named Blarney Cock coming back from the dead and being compelled to get his hamster that he kept shoved up his rear end while alive.

This show definitely doesn't embrace as much of Ennis' wacky stuff as Preacher did.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

RedneckwithGuns posted:

This show definitely doesn't embrace as much of Ennis' wacky stuff as Preacher did.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

That Italian Guy posted:

Not half.

Did I hear that Vas was actually going to be in the show, though? Or was that just the guy who got confused with the Black Widow trailer and thought David Harbour was playing him?

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Dr. Clockwork posted:

It may well be he appears in flashbacks. We don’t know what led up to mallories grandkids getting torched, and it obviously happened in a different way to the comics where the boys and the seven are aware of each other and in Cold War because of it. And him “retiring” at the start of S1 but being completely absent is too suspicious to make me think he’s still alive

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Jedit posted:

Not half.

Did I hear that Vas was actually going to be in the show, though? Or was that just the guy who got confused with the Black Widow trailer and thought David Harbour was playing him?

Ah, David Harbour would be a great choice for Vas and not just cause I love him in everything he does.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

massive spider posted:

It may well be he appears in flashbacks. We don’t know what led up to mallories grandkids getting torched, and it obviously happened in a different way to the comics where the boys and the seven are aware of each other and in Cold War because of it. And him “retiring” at the start of S1 but being completely absent is too suspicious to make me think he’s still alive

Somebody on Reddit pointed out a still of him in front of the new version of the Seven statue, the one with Starlight in it. So that scene at least isn't a flashback.

I figure he's either a pyromaniac psycho who's coming back cause he's eager to get a second chance to finish off The Boys (and was "retired" because he's dangerous and unstable) OR he ISN'T a terrible person, torched Mallory's grandkids by mistake (or they're still alive, they didn't even find their teeth) and he's working WITH The Boys like that other rumor said... I never read the comics so I don't know.

Personally I lean towards the first one, and LL will basically be like Translucent- the first supe they kill this season.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Preacher was so loving good I’m bummedI watched that show in Isolation, the thread was already long dead by the time I finished and the last 4 pages were just people being sad about the TV show’s ending. If nothing else it has some Oldboy//Daredevil Hallway style fight scenes that should be studied by action directors and stunt men for years to come.

Please god just let Garth Ennis die before he gets cancelled. Save me one weird dude to like. I always knew Ellis was a schmuk, please let Garth be good!

Asgerd
May 6, 2012

I worked up a powerful loneliness in my massive bed, in the massive dark.
Grimey Drawer

Jedit posted:

Not half.

That Italian Guy posted:

Ah, David Harbour would be a great choice for Vas and not just cause I love him in everything he does.

You can't blame them, it was an easy mistake to make. Harbour looks dead-on.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

seaborgium posted:

They all had contracts and it sounded like it was similar to Hollywood actor stuff. They get percentages of profits, like from movies and merch, and some of them were smart enough to get better lawyers or have better sales. The Deep is probably pretty low just because his main thing seems to be not-Seaworld and the occasional movie. Translucent seemed to have a pretty huge franchise he headed even if he wasn't one of the big 3, same with A-Train and sponsorships.

Deep was basically like a laughing-stock equivalent to Hollywood D list celeb.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

I finally got around to watching this and it was amazing.I feel like this is one of the rare times where a finale is actually good. Even in the comics butcher was always a sociopath who reveled in violence. What happened to his wife was tragic but it always feel like it was just an excuse to go back to what he loves best, loving people up/over. Totally taking that excuse away by making it so that homelander might not have even wronged him is a amazing hook.

With how well this show is doing I wonder if anybody will try adapting Irredeemable. You could base an entire show on 'how do I kill this invincible monster'

[e] I still miss comic stillwell though. It's pretty amazing how he was still the most sociopathic monster at the end of the day despite just being a suit.

DrManiac fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Aug 15, 2020

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

DrManiac posted:

I finally got around to watching this and it was amazing.I feel like this is one of the rare times where a finale is actually good. Even in the comics butcher was always a sociopath who reveled in violence. What happened to his wife was tragic but it always feel like it was just an excuse to go back to what he loves best, loving people up/over. Totally taking that excuse away by making it so that homelander might not have even wronged him is a amazing hook.

With how well this show is doing I wonder if anybody will try adapting Irredeemable. You could base an entire show on 'how do I kill this invincible monster'

[e] I still miss comic stillwell though. It's pretty amazing how he was still the most sociopathic monster at the end of the day despite just being a suit.

well at most companies the worst people are upper management types.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

McSpanky posted:

Actually the bomb exploding and shooting all his guts out through his rear end in a top hat, blasting his body around the room like an invisible bottle rocket wouldn't been pretty incredible.

gently caress, that would have been super up the comics' alley and hilarious seeing him smash around the cage on tv. good call

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
This might be the best promo item I have ever seen in my life.

https://twitter.com/therealKripke/status/1294308253942206465