Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

so if a yuumi does literally nothing except jump in me and occasionally q a creep, are they just trying to tank their rating for smurfing purposes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

SirSamVimes posted:

so if a yuumi does literally nothing except jump in me and occasionally q a creep, are they just trying to tank their rating for smurfing purposes?

Some yuumis just permanently backpack and it's insanely annoying since it basically hands your opponents the lane.

I can't figure out if it's because they don't care, if it gets around afk detection, or if they just legitimately play like that though

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
I mean they have to detach to get mana right?

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

no, a bad support doesn't have to do anything to help you

duck trucker
Oct 14, 2017

YOSPOS

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Or the ones that turn Ms Fortune into some kinda cyber laser robot
My biggest complaint about skins is that they change the champion name on the loading screen.
There's some volibear skin named "The thousand-pierced bear" and I spent forever trying to figure out what champion was the first time I played against it.

Riot give Gragas a skin named the thousand-pierced bear please

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I can't imagine playing a support that isn't a bully. Sitting there as a tumor healing has gotta be the least fun way to play the game.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Groovelord Neato posted:

I can't imagine playing a support that isn't a bully. Sitting there as a tumor healing has gotta be the least fun way to play the game.

It's fine you can just play a Leona/Alistair that never engages as well.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I engage so much they call me Zsa Zsa Gabor.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
The issue I have with Yuumi on my team is that for the first 8 levels she isn't doing anything for me, really, and then when she gets good she just goes and attaches to the 1/3/1 Garen or whoever is most fed. I never had a support!
That being said I've duo'd with a Yuumi and it's awesome to be able to follow-up on her R and coordinate to follow-up on her slow. Take Barrier, it's better than Heal if you have Yuumi
Since Yuumi have so much time they type they tend to be the most toxic and it's annoying as hell when they are attached to me and trying to guide me like The Last Guardian with danger pings everywhere they think I shouldn't step

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

I feel self conscious with a Yuumi because I feel like they are hyper aware of every CS I miss in lane.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Pussy Quipped posted:

I feel self conscious with a Yuumi because I feel like they are hyper aware of every CS I miss in lane.

I always just presume they're alt tabbed out of the game unless they're actively hopping on and off.

I'll say though that playing with an actually good Yuumi, she can be kinda ridiculous. And if you're coordinating with each other it can be really effective (though you really gotta ban Cait cause the poke just makes it impossible).

iSurrender
Aug 25, 2005
Now with 22% more apathy!

kingcobweb posted:

I’m not answering that question (mod’s orders) but the adventure time MOBA had a character with Shaco invisibility and Fiddles ult. Forget who it was though

The best MOBA was the one that cloned LoL then added 200 champs including Shrek throwing donkeys.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Invalid Validation posted:

They’d probably just complain about not being able to tell who it is at a glance if they were gender swapped (ignore these very samey dark star skins).

how am I supposed to subconsciously queue up dodging Sona's ult if my brain gets lost searching for her big honkin' badonklers

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Yuumi just kinda makes me miss playing HOTS and being Brightwing, the most annoying unkillable team rescuing character in any moba ever.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Elvis_Maximus posted:

Some yuumis just permanently backpack and it's insanely annoying since it basically hands your opponents the lane.

I can't figure out if it's because they don't care, if it gets around afk detection, or if they just legitimately play like that though

She only ever used her heal to catch up with me faster to latch on and if I died she sat there and waited to be killed. She was basically just a +20 damage item that also made me worth extra gold to kill.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

They should add another tanky initiator support.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Blitzcrank, Naut, Swain, Ali, Leona, Thresh, Sett... I can't tell if you're joking

I've also seen Tahm, Nunu, and even Irelia as support.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I want another. I know ones already exist. That's why I said should add another not a first.

Good call on Swain though I'll have to check him out. He got reworked right?

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Aug 13, 2020

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

My poor Tahm got beaten hard for doing his job and saving his dipshit ADCs too much. I’ve seen him in pro games recently so maybe he isn’t total trash like it felt right after the nerf.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Groovelord Neato posted:

I want another. I know ones already exist. That's why I said should add another not a first.

Good call on Swain though I'll have to check him out. He got reworked right?

Support swain is a beast and hooking someone is a guaranteed kill/summoner while in Lane if your adc is awake.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Miftan posted:

Support swain is a beast and hooking someone is a guaranteed kill/summoner while in Lane if your adc is awake.

That said, if you miss the hook you're way more vulnerable than a blitzcrank or thresh would be

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Ignite Memories posted:

That said, if you miss the hook you're way more vulnerable than a blitzcrank or thresh would be

Depends on if you're using the eye to make them walk into your grab or if you keep it for when you hit. You gotta decide based on the situation (eye on their retreat path when they're next to a wall will basically always make them run into your grab, for example), but yeah he's very vulnerable to engage in general. The eye's slow/damage is very underrated in lane and it helps keep the enemy adc away.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

What do you max on him? the guide i saw said Q but that seems weird and wrong, and I craved more slow on W.

That said it is in fact extremely fun to W people and then QE into their W juke. You can sort of play him like anivia.

e: i meant E not Q

Ignite Memories fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Aug 13, 2020

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Ignite Memories posted:

What do you max on him? the guide i saw said Q but that seems weird and wrong, and I craved more slow on W.

That said it is in fact extremely fun to W people and then Q into their W juke. You can sort of play him like anivia.

You max your Q for damage because you can get it off more than once per fight. I do E, W, Q and then max Q followed by W. You can max W first, but once people get boots they are mostly zone denial/scouting and not damage unless you're in a messy teamfight. E W ignite at level 2 can usually net you an easy kill if your adc goes in on it.

And yeah you definitely play him like anivia with the eye as your wall.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

AP volibear rocks so much lmao. he has no casting animation for E so you can catch people in it constantly and it chunks non-tanks really hard. warning: aram only, probably dont do this in a real game

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?

Invalid Validation posted:

My poor Tahm got beaten hard for doing his job and saving his dipshit ADCs too much. I’ve seen him in pro games recently so maybe he isn’t total trash like it felt right after the nerf.

He's a fantasic champ but it feels like they've been nerfing the poo poo out of him for a long time. When he could reliably jungle he was fun as hell but that's long since passed. From what I remember lately they're mad at his ability to bail out stupid people and are talking about reworking him a bit. So hopefully they shift some skills around and he's worth playing but right now he's kind of dogshit. It's a bummer because he is so fun and he oozes personality

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

they could take out the ability to eat your teammates and he'd be fine, i think

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Yea TK was one of my absolute favorite top lane champs ever because he was strong, fun, and as Serv mentioned, has a ton of personality. But his niche as a support and his ability to save idiots has seen him get progressively nerfed out of every role that isn't support. If they do revisit/rework him, I'd be 100% ok with that going away in favor of making him viable in not-just-bot-lane again.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Firstborn posted:

Blitzcrank, Naut, Swain, Ali, Leona, Thresh, Sett... I can't tell if you're joking

I've also seen Tahm, Nunu, and even Irelia as support.

Leona and Ali are the ones of those that are true "tanky initiators." Blitz and Thresh are surprisingly squishy and are there to get picks, and maybe I'm splitting hairs here, but a "tanky initiator" is usually suicide for them. Swain is that, but basically a lane phase gimmick that doesn't do much outside of that. Naut is somewhere between Leo and Blitz (fitting since his Q is literally that), but just moves too slow to be a real initiator.

Even when a champ ends up with an initiator role from the support position, like Sett, it's held there with some duct tape and bubblegum, and feels that way when you play the champs as support. It's been ages since they've designed a support to be an initiator tank. Pyke has the kit for it, of course, but is literally prohibited by the game from building tank.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Mikujin posted:

Yea TK was one of my absolute favorite top lane champs ever because he was strong, fun, and as Serv mentioned, has a ton of personality. But his niche as a support and his ability to save idiots has seen him get progressively nerfed out of every role that isn't support. If they do revisit/rework him, I'd be 100% ok with that going away in favor of making him viable in not-just-bot-lane again.

I wish they'd stop loving around and just straight-up remove his ability to ally-target with W. Then again, he's like the one support champ I've never played more than a handful of games with.

edit: whoops somehow missed fatguy baldspot's post. Yep!

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

how IS alistar? I think sometimes I should play him

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Ignite Memories posted:

how IS alistar? I think sometimes I should play him

I still enjoy him, but even after the rework that swapped his passive with his E he really feels like an Old League Champion, so it really depends on if you enjoy that or not: he does one really powerful thing, and it's up to you to take advantage of that and compensating for his very real downsides as best you can. I can't really recommend picking him up for most people, since he's surprisingly difficult to learn, and "stand around the lane getting bullied until your jungler ganks for you" is what ends up happening in a lot of matchups.

For 90% of people I'd say just play Leona instead.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
personally I'd prefer if they just made Tahm an actual support and kept his signature ability instead of removing that and just making him "you build tanky and it makes you do damage" guy

like the latter might be real fun to play as but, also, it sucks

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?
Last I remember hearing they were thinking of making the devour his ult and in place of devour a mini dash and knockup using his ult animations a la Rek'sai but that was a bit back. Giving him an on demand cc ability kinda runs against the original premise the designer had for the champ, but that designer is a moron and made a ton of champs that have been balance problems for a long time

Doesn't bother me with what they do too much to him so long as he can see play out of support because he's a very fun character

Servaetes fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Aug 14, 2020

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
That Swain is a support is absolutely disgusting, just terrible

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Ngl rushing a manamune on Twitch and getting the ability to delete people by pressing R and right clicking people out of stealth is unbelievably satisfying

Polderjoch
Jun 27, 2019

May the sacred flame guide me... Or something like that.

a fatguy baldspot posted:

AP volibear rocks so much lmao. he has no casting animation for E so you can catch people in it constantly and it chunks non-tanks really hard. warning: aram only, probably dont do this in a real game

He does, actually. When you cast E Voli will raise his hand in the air and say a specific quote, which is enough to know to move out of the way if you're playing against him.

I used to like Rod of Ages>Hextech Gunblade>full tank on new voli but I've settled into having some fun with Rod of Ages>Trinity Force>Death's Dance; more consistent damage but enough AP to still have a fun large AoE nuke with your E.

i vomit kittens
Apr 25, 2019

coming back to this game after not playing since... 2014? is there really no way to invert the camera movement direction when you're using the mouse button to pan it? i always played with camera lock in high school but playing a lot of RTSs since then has gotten me more comfortable with manually moving it, or it would if it wasn't loving reversed from how every other game in the world handles it by default

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Polderjoch posted:

He does, actually. When you cast E Voli will raise his hand in the air and say a specific quote, which is enough to know to move out of the way if you're playing against him.

I used to like Rod of Ages>Hextech Gunblade>full tank on new voli but I've settled into having some fun with Rod of Ages>Trinity Force>Death's Dance; more consistent damage but enough AP to still have a fun large AoE nuke with your E.

Yup, and if you don't do anything but cast E he even brings his hand down in time with the lightning hitting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

I've discovered the secret to always playing support is queuing support/top

Any other combo and you might have to play that role sometimes