Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Microsoft can talk about Gamepass being the future and not really being invested in the endless console war all they want, they're not putting the time and money into developing and releasing a new console just to take a wash on it.

At the very least, they are going to want it to be competitive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Stux posted:

going to disagree and say the company launching with two seperate pieces of hardware care a lot about selling hardware.

They don't particularly care what the hardware actually is, though. Like they want to sell Windows PCs but it probably makes no difference to them if a rando buys a $300 Walmart poo poo-box or a $4000 Mac-alike, even if they're supplying the hardware in question.

They also haven't been shy about "premium pricing" on their hardware, because hoo boy are they jealous of Apple.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The absolutely care about hardware since that not only locks people to their ecosystem but also establishes the baseline for what games on their ecosystem can run like. Not having any first party title at launch is a very bad move for a brand that suffers deeply from a lack of flagship titles and is indicative of the issues since phil took over.

Im half expecting Microsoft to write an astoundingly large late in development check to make some games exclusive launch titles.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Dan Didio posted:

At the very least, they are going to want it to be competitive.

Explain the Halo Infinite reveal, then.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

This is also not even getting into the number of serious questions that probably should be raised about how Microsoft and 343 have managed one of their biggest IPs over the past decade.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Barudak posted:

Im half expecting Microsoft to write an astoundingly large late in development check to make some games exclusive launch titles.

If they were going to do that, they would have done it before announcing the delay, otherwise they're going to paying way more.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Barudak posted:

To who? They're in a bit of a bind because there are so many PS4s out there they can't keep anyone they don't completely control from releasing their stuff on PlayStation, they haven't even kept the indies they moneyhatted, for the most part. Getting a AAA-scope title to go exclusive to one console requires the payout to be years in advance so they don't invest time in developing for the other console(s) and, more importantly, telling people the game is coming to that console. Microsoft can put as many 0's as it wants on a cheque, they can't buy UbiSoft pulling out of releasing games like AC: Valhalla and Far Cry 6 on PS4/5 now, and big enough companies probably care more about their "engagement numbers" than actual money, due to the future growth potential.

Dan Didio posted:

This is also not even getting into the number of serious questions that probably should be raised about how Microsoft and 343 have managed one of their biggest IPs over the past decade.

Microsoft has shuttered companies for way less than what happened with Halo MCC.

Reminder that Microsoft apparently had the ability to call "dibs" on Destiny and make it an Xbox exclusive and they didn't.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I like that both consoles asked devs what they wanted and devs said 'faster storage' so Sony came up with a custom solution that provides next gen performance and MS added a winrar SoC to achieve a blistering 'slightly better than SATA III SSD speeds.'

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

univbee posted:

They don't particularly care what the hardware actually is, though. Like they want to sell Windows PCs but it probably makes no difference to them if a rando buys a $300 Walmart poo poo-box or a $4000 Mac-alike, even if they're supplying the hardware in question.

They also haven't been shy about "premium pricing" on their hardware, because hoo boy are they jealous of Apple.

i think youre confusing not caring with caring a lot but making strange choices. i think the series x is a lot like the one x in that its directly and specifically focused still on the ps4 being more powerful than the base xbone was, even though they forget the really important part of that was "while also being cheaper" because they bundled an expensive camera in

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

They need a console because
1. Pc users have better options to buy games
2. They are locked out of a huge portion of phones
3. Smart tv app development is a waste of time. Too many models and them all constantly downloading new firmware makes trying to support everything a huge issue.

So they gotta get into your living room somehow and thats what the two s consoles are for.

The x however is simply for their biggest whale fans. The guys who never would think of leaving them and buy any console they put out.

Theres several million people out there ready to hand microsoft a 3rd, 4th, or even fifth 500 dollar wad since 2013. They dont care about software they dont care about price, they got multiple elite controllers lying around and all they care about is xbox.

Barudak posted:

Theres a problem with that for them though. They have a smaller chunk of 3rd party games sales than not just ps but also pc. A contract for exclusivity that sony could make just by covering advertising and giving a digital store presence to would cost xbox way more due to the smaller pool of buyers. They also run the risk of embarrassing poo poo like the rumor that rise of the tombraider sold so poorly that square enix got to invoke some trigger clause in the contract to rush the game to steam after only a few months out of the blue.

hanyolo
Jul 18, 2013
I am an employee of the Microsoft Gaming Division and they pay me to defend the Xbox One on the Something Awful Forums
Wouldn't they just moneyhat 3rd Party day 1 gamepass over a console exclusive? i.e. Cyberpunk 2077 available day one on xbox game pass (this will never happen but an extreme example)

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Publishers want their aaa games on gamepass for sure, they just want it to be after they made their sales. Indies and mid tier games that need the exposure for sure tho yeah i agree and we're seeing a lot of those deals from ms

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

hanyolo posted:

Wouldn't they just moneyhat 3rd Party day 1 gamepass over a console exclusive? i.e. Cyberpunk 2077 available day one on xbox game pass (this will never happen but an extreme example)

I don't think the interest or value would be there for someone to make their game a day 1 gamepass release for the biggest games, they can just sell first, then move to Gamepass and get an extra benefit when it suits them too.

hanyolo
Jul 18, 2013
I am an employee of the Microsoft Gaming Division and they pay me to defend the Xbox One on the Something Awful Forums
Yeah that would be the moneyhat aspect, MS would pay them the expected retail sales of the game to throw it on gamepass instead, bypassing putting it on after the copies have been sold

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I also imagine if that became the norm for Microsoft, you would see push-back from brick and mortar stores aimed at Xbox.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Something like Cyberpunk will never be on gamepass day 1 lol. No matter how much money they throw at them. That's one of the biggest games of the year, guaranteed sales before even playing.

I wonder how many devs hate MS for even creating gamepass and loving up sales for their game. It literally a lose/lose putting a game on there

Barudak
May 7, 2007

A lot of indie devs have talked about how it boosted their sales and gave them guaranteed money, making it wins all around

It absolutely won't get Cyberpunk 2077 day one because CD Projekt Red can bank their billion day one sales and then gobble up money 6 months later from microsoft to maybe reach someone like me who will never buy that game.

hanyolo
Jul 18, 2013
Yeah it'll probs come to gamepass the same way RDR2 did (a year after release), I don't even know what other aaa multiplats are releasing on the next gen hardware day 1, Valhalla?

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!
Gamepass is a great tool for game discovery since it guarantees a subscriber base somewhere around 10 million strong will at least check out the new games they add every month. That, plus MS giving the partners upfront cash for the entire duration of the deal, is a sweet incentive and guaranteed income, similar to how the Epic Games Store handled all that stuff.

For MS to get something like Cyberpunk on Gamepass day one, they'd need to essentially pay for that game's entire yearly sales for the following segments:

Xbox owners
PC gamers
PS4 gamers with PCs

For a game forecasted to sell somewhere north of 20 million for its first year, and taking the 30% store cut into account, and let's say Microsoft only covers 60% of sales...you're looking at a $500 million dollar lump sum payment from Microsoft (the budget for Halo Infinite), and the loss of around $100 million dollars in net revenue from their lost 30% cut for sales on their own platform - all for a game that will have people subscribe to Gamepass at most for 2 months, with new people taking advantage of the $1 deals. The economics really don't work here.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

From what I've read most indie devs like Gamepass because they get the money upfront and it allows more people to discover their catalogues.

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

It's great for me as I find I prefer playing indie games now over AAA titles.

I've found games I would never have played otherwise, then gone on to buy the DLC. Making the publishers more money.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Never would have played Savage Planet without it and now its one of my favorite games of the year

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

hanyolo posted:

Yeah it'll probs come to gamepass the same way RDR2 did (a year after release), I don't even know what other aaa multiplats are releasing on the next gen hardware day 1, Valhalla?

Interesting enough no assassin's creed games have been on gamepass but several of them have been games with gold. Just not odyssey/origins if I remember right.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

What's the chance other companies are going to see Gamepass doing well and trying to move to their own passes again?

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!

gschmidl posted:

What's the chance other companies are going to see Gamepass doing well and trying to move to their own passes again?

Certain since a lot of them already have their own passes. EA (Origin) Access is actually older than Gamepass and offers EA's entire portfolio, Ubisoft launched UPLAY+ in 2019 and Sony has had PlayStation Now game download functionality since 2018.

The difference with Gamepass is down to three factors:

a - Microsoft's commitment to put all their games as a platform holder on the service, day 1.
b - Their broad approach to having as many avenues to access the service as possible, with Xboxs, PCs and streaming on mobile devices.
c - They're effectively marketing it and it has the full brunt of their platform-holder marketing behind it.

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."

Dan Didio posted:

I also imagine if that became the norm for Microsoft, you would see push-back from brick and mortar stores aimed at Xbox.

Sony is releasing a system that’s digital only. These companies are no longer terrified of brick and mortar stores.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

ghostwritingduck posted:

Sony is releasing a system that’s digital only. These companies are no longer terrified of brick and mortar stores.

No, they're not, but I don't think Microsoft benefits from creating new problems or enemies at this point.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

RBX posted:

I wonder how many devs hate MS for even creating gamepass and loving up sales for their game. It literally a lose/lose putting a game on there
Looool no, everybody* wants to be on GamePass because there's seriously good money in it. What are you basing this on?

*Not literally everybody, but a lot - from indie to AAA.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Real hurthling! posted:

Halo indefinite

:perfect:

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Laserface posted:

I like that both consoles asked devs what they wanted and devs said 'faster storage' so Sony came up with a custom solution that provides next gen performance and MS added a winrar SoC to achieve a blistering 'slightly better than SATA III SSD speeds.'

Having to click away that WinRAR trial nag screen every few days is going to get old quickly:

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006
Woof

EDIT: They have already changed their wording.

quote:

Will Control Ultimate Edition give me access to Control on Xbox Series X and PlayStation 5?

We will offer a free next-gen digital upgrade for those who buy Control Ultimate Edition on PlayStation 4 and Xbox One. For more information on eligibility, stay tuned to our website and community channels.

Zerot fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Aug 12, 2020

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Glad I waited on control because I will never be free of my loathing of Quantum Break.

Alan Wake was ok, now that I've finally played it.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Barudak posted:

Glad I waited on control because I will never be free of my loathing of Quantum Break.

Alan Wake was ok, now that I've finally played it.
What’s wrong with Quantum Break? I thought it was alright. Definitely not as good as Control or Alan Wake, but decent.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
QB had very boring, repetitive gameplay and forced you to sit through extremely long cheap network TV mystery show quality cutscenes.

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

Fame Douglas posted:

QB had very boring, repetitive gameplay and forced you to sit through extremely long cheap network TV mystery show quality cutscenes.

You can skip the cutscenes, I'm pretty sure.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Zerot posted:

You can skip them but they still gotta spin up and they are ever present. It doesn't help you can't skip the games plethora of slow hallway walks or other "its interactive so its clearly gameplay, not a cutscene" that the game throws at you for most of your run time.

Also the story is just not very good or interesting so it can't make up for having a shooting game with time powers where your powers aren't great and the game makes enemies immune to them like half-way in.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Zerot posted:

I mean, I bought the game, I wanted to experience its story. Unfortunately, both the gameplay and how the story is presented are bad.

Otherwise you might argue that I could have skipped the game as well, to which I would respond by saying that yes, that would have been smart.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I still maintain that Remedy has never made a good game besides Death Rally

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

People are getting really mad online that only the goty edition of control is getting upgraded for next gen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!
I refuse to believe anyone is legitimately thinking of replaying Control. Just gamer outrage.