Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I for one am excited for the next icon redesign!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

https://twitter.com/withoutboats/status/1217558588857544704

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

250 people? How many are left? A thousand?

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

wooger posted:

Mozilla lay off 250 staff: https://blog.mozilla.org/blog/2020/08/11/changing-world-changing-mozilla/

I haven’t seen details of what kind of staff yet, though fear the worst.

They’ve also announced a new focus... on 5 different things, including commercial products.

As always, they need to focus on Firefox & employing developers.

If they have money problems then they need to move their office out of San Francisco. Paying for that plus paying SF salaries must be a killer.

TBH, I'd be down with this if it's just paid email, cloud storage, VPN, etc.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Fame Douglas posted:

I for one am excited for the next icon redesign!

Im really looking forward to when they put two menu items together into one inconvenient sub-menu, adding additional steps!

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/MichalPurzynski/status/1293220570885062657

Seems bad.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Insanite posted:

TBH, I'd be down with this if it's just paid email, cloud storage, VPN, etc.

This seems potentially fine, though there are competent versions of each already in existence. What are they bringing to the table, given they have no proven competence in cloud services?

They need to adjust thier structure to allow people to donate, with the money earmarked to go to Firefox dev only.

As is, the browser is part of Mozilla Corporation, so no way to support it.

The foundation, which you can donate to is purely faffing around with campaigning and marketing poo poo and nothing of value.

Internet freedom is good, but allowing the only viable browser not owned by a megacorp to whither and die is criminal, and makes the former impossible.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
I don't know about you, but I'd totally pay for Firefox. They could have their normal free version, and also maybe have a paid version with extra features or whatever. Or even just to donate to the browser itself. That's the main issue here. I specifically want to contribute to the development of the browser, not some other initiative.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Apparently also the Servo team, ie the people who did the technical core of what became Quantum.

Meanwhile their 'chief innovation officer' was self-congratulating on twitter over firefox Voice aka Siri for firefox. Because if there's one thing mozilla loves, it's jumping on a bandwagon 3 years too late. Though that does give me hope that we're only 6 months away from everyone being done with voice assistants.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Let's fire our threat team and try to get into the corporate market, because if there is one thing companies don't care about, it's risk.

:thunk:

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
What the hell is a "threat management team", yeah, I guessing you don't need one of those.

lightinwater
Jan 1, 2014

wooger posted:

As always, they need to focus on Firefox & employing developers.

If they have money problems then they need to move their office out of San Francisco. Paying for that plus paying SF salaries must be a killer.

Announce that you're going to move to somewhere like Bangalore. Existing programmers and such can work from home but all new hires come from India. If you're an activist you are now activisting in India.
At a stroke you'll rid yourself of SF social climbers, reduce your running costs, open up a vast pool of programming talent that is also relatively low cost and your activism becomes much more meaningful and easier to boot.

RichardA
Sep 1, 2006
Dinosaur Gum
Looks like the Servo team is gone.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Im_Special posted:

What the hell is a "threat management team", yeah, I guessing you don't need one of those.

If they were that good, they should have seen it coming.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

If they were that good, they should have seen it coming.

First, you fire the threat prediction team, then the threat management team.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Dramicus posted:

I don't know about you, but I'd totally pay for Firefox. They could have their normal free version, and also maybe have a paid version with extra features or whatever. Or even just to donate to the browser itself. That's the main issue here. I specifically want to contribute to the development of the browser, not some other initiative.

how does firefox even earn money?

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Fashionable Jorts posted:

People like me have hopes and dreams and give them money when they have it. I no longer have hopes, dreams or money so this is moot in the present.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Inceltown posted:

People like me have hopes and dreams and give them money when they have it. I no longer have hopes, dreams or money so this is moot in the present.

You may think this, but you don’t.

Mozilla has two separate parts, Mozilla Foundation & Mozilla Corporation.

Only the first can or has ever taken donations.

Firefox is under the second, so will never have received a penny.

They are idiots.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

Why should they? Firefox is free software, and as such, they should work on it, for free, forever!

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Default search engine deals. So Google, mostly.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

I'd imagine that a default search engine deal with an advertising company during a global economic crisis doesn't pay what it used to.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
https://twitter.com/SteveALee/status/1293487542382333952?s=20

MDN team is gone too.

Insanite posted:

I'd imagine that a default search engine deal with an advertising company during a global economic crisis doesn't pay what it used to.

Now that's an understatement after reading this:

https://www.zdnet.com/article/mozilla-lays-off-250-employees-while-it-refocuses-on-commercial-products/

quote:

Furthermore, Mozilla's contract with Google to include Google as the default search provider inside Firefox is set to expire later this year, and the contract has not been renewed. The Google deal has historically accounted for around 90% of all of Mozilla's revenue, and without it experts see a dim future for Mozilla past 2021.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Insanite posted:

A default search engine deal doesn't pay what it used to because google is a monopoly and nobody else exists in a state where they will counter-bid.

Yahoo is dead, and MS knows that Bing is not gonna have some amazing success. They continue to operate it for their own products, but they're not burning hundreds of millions of dollars to try to increase market share with firefox's sliver of market share.

Mozilla wants to be Google.

Google kills off their good products and ideas when they don't turn into trillion-dollar services.

Therefore, Mozilla will also kill off all their good products and ideas.

GRECOROMANGRABASS
May 14, 2020
Man, MDN and FireFox Developer Edition are both awesome. I'd gladly have paid money to keep those folks from being laid off.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Sounds like they're desperately cutting costs in anticipation of the revenue loss, which is unfortunate but not unexpected. I'm sure all of us here would rather see the art/UI teams get axed but they're probably being kept to work on getting the new services going.

As far as I see it though Firefox is now dead in the water, we're looking at little to no performance improvements for the foreseeable future but a whole lot of updates to sell their new services while they try to stay afloat. Probably be years before they feel like making things go fast again.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

GRECOROMANGRABASS posted:

Man, MDN and FireFox Developer Edition are both awesome. I'd gladly have paid money to keep those folks from being laid off.

This is the most infuriating part, Mozilla literally won't let anyone do that. I'm sure there would have been an enormous number of people in the Linux/open software community that would have contributed so much, had it been possible to support the browser development specifically.

isndl posted:

Sounds like they're desperately cutting costs in anticipation of the revenue loss, which is unfortunate but not unexpected. I'm sure all of us here would rather see the art/UI teams get axed but they're probably being kept to work on getting the new services going.

As far as I see it though Firefox is now dead in the water, we're looking at little to no performance improvements for the foreseeable future but a whole lot of updates to sell their new services while they try to stay afloat. Probably be years before they feel like making things go fast again.

Hopefully Librewolf will turn into something decent. I imagine it will take several years of development before it gets there, though.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008
https://twitter.com/gcpascutto/status/1293519587967983616

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Mitchell Baker on blog.mozilla.org posted:

This is a time of change for the internet and for Mozilla. From combatting a lethal virus and battling systemic racism to protecting individual privacy — one thing is clear: an open and accessible internet is essential to the fight.

Mozilla exists so the internet can help the world collectively meet the range of challenges a moment like this presents. Firefox is a part of this. But we know we also need to go beyond the browser to give people new products and technologies that both excite them and represent their interests. Over the last while, it has been clear that Mozilla is not structured properly to create these new things — and to build the better internet we all deserve.

Today we announced a significant restructuring of Mozilla Corporation. This will strengthen our ability to build and invest in products and services that will give people alternatives to conventional Big Tech. Sadly, the changes also include a significant reduction in our workforce by approximately 250 people. These are individuals of exceptional professional and personal caliber who have made outstanding contributions to who we are today. To each of them, I extend my heartfelt thanks and deepest regrets that we have come to this point. This is a humbling recognition of the realities we face, and what is needed to overcome them.

As I shared in the internal message sent to our employees today, our pre-COVID plan for 2020 included a great deal of change already: building a better internet by creating new kinds of value in Firefox; investing in innovation and creating new products; and adjusting our finances to ensure stability over the long term. Economic conditions resulting from the global pandemic have significantly impacted our revenue. As a result, our pre-COVID plan was no longer workable. Though we’ve been talking openly with our employees about the need for change — including the likelihood of layoffs — since the spring, it was no easier today when these changes became real. I desperately wish there was some other way to set Mozilla up for long term success in building a better internet.

But to go further, we must be organized to be able to think about a different world. To imagine that technology will become embedded in our world even more than it is, and we want that technology to have different characteristics and values than we experience today.

So going forward we will be smaller. We’ll also be organizing ourselves very differently, acting more quickly and nimbly. We’ll experiment more. We’ll adjust more quickly. We’ll join with allies outside of our organization more often and more effectively. We’ll meet people where they are. We’ll become great at expressing and building our core values into products and programs that speak to today’s issues. We’ll join and build with all those who seek openness, decency, empowerment and common good in online life.

I believe this vision of change will make a difference — that it can allow us to become a Mozilla that excites people and shapes the agenda of the internet. I also realize this vision will feel abstract to many. With this in mind, we have mapped out five specific areas to focus on as we roll out this new structure over the coming months:

- New focus on product. Mozilla must be a world-class, modern, multi-product internet organization. That means diverse, representative, focused on people outside of our walls, solving problems, building new products, engaging with users and doing the magic of mixing tech with our values. To start, that means products that mitigate harms or address the kinds of the problems that people face today. Over the longer run, our goal is to build new experiences that people love and want, that have better values and better characteristics inside those products.
- New mindset. The internet has become the platform. We love the traits of it — the decentralization, its permissionless innovation, the open source underpinnings of it, and the standards part — we love it all. But to enable these changes, we must shift our collective mindset from a place of defending, protecting, sometimes even huddling up and trying to keep a piece of what we love to one that is proactive, curious, and engaged with people out in the world. We will become the modern organization we aim to be — combining product, technology and advocacy — when we are building new things, making changes within ourselves and seeing how the traits of the past can show up in new ways in the future.
- New focus on technology. Mozilla is a technical powerhouse of the internet activist movement. And we must stay that way. We must provide leadership, test out products, and draw businesses into areas that aren’t traditional web technology. The internet is the platform now with ubiquitous web technologies built into it, but vast new areas are developing (like Wasmtime and the Bytecode Alliance vision of nanoprocesses). Our vision and abilities should play in those areas too.
- New focus on community. Mozilla must continue to be part of something larger than ourselves, part of the group of people looking for a better internet. Our open source volunteers today — as well as the hundreds of thousands of people who donate to and participate in Mozilla Foundation’s advocacy work — are a precious and critical part of this. But we also need to go further and think about community in new ways. We must be increasingly open to joining others on their missions, to contribute to the better internet they’re building.
- New focus on economics. Recognizing that the old model where everything was free has consequences, means we must explore a range of different business opportunities and alternate value exchanges. How can we lead towards business models that honor and protect people while creating opportunities for our business to thrive? How can we, or others who want a better internet, or those who feel like a different balance should exist between social and public benefit and private profit offer an alternative? We need to identify those people and join them. We must learn and expand different ways to support ourselves and build a business that isn’t what we see today.

We’re fortunate that Firefox and Mozilla retain a high degree of trust in the world. Trust and a feeling of authenticity feel unusual in tech today. But there is a sense that people want more from us. They want to work with us, to build with us. The changes we are making today are hard. But with these changes we believe we’ll be ready to meet these people — and the challenges and opportunities facing the future of the internet — head on.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Fame Douglas posted:

Default search engine deals. So Google, mostly.

That seems like the kind of income that can support like, 2 employees total lol

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

That seems like the kind of income that can support like, 2 employees total lol

In 2017 they made > $500 million on their search deals IIRC.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Splinter posted:

2 Bay Area employees.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

Splinter posted:

That's probably why their search deal contract with Google hasn't been renewed. Firefox used to have market share worth multi-million dollar deals. They don't anymore, and Google's not going to sign onto a new contract at the premium price that a contract that was negotiated in better days for Firefox had.

The next year or two are going to be very unkind to Mozilla. Their consequences of their strategy of letting designers run wild and constantly chase away users, and giving up all their differentiating factors in the marketplace are going to come home to roost. The money they bring in is going to start reflecting their vanishing userbase.

biznatchio fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Aug 12, 2020

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Look at the bright side, if Mozilla goes under then at least they won't be able to ruin Thunderbird. :buddy:

Lightningproof
Feb 23, 2011

So uh, if Firefox is gently drifting into an iceberg, anyone have positive experiences with any alternatives (inb4 obligatory "Chrome" gag)?

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

loving yikes, at this point they should just spin off the non-business parts of Mozilla into something similar to The Document Foundation. There's no way the community could possibly gently caress this up any worse than Mozilla already has.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Insanite posted:

It does, because it was a lump sum paid for N years of exclusivity as the default.

However, that’s up soon, and no follow-on deal is agreed this far.

That alone is 90% of revenue.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

biznatchio posted:

That's probably why their search deal contract with Google hasn't been renewed. Firefox used to have market share worth multi-million dollar deals. They don't anymore, and Google's not going to sign onto a new contract at the premium price that a contract that was negotiated in better days for Firefox had.

The next year or two are going to be very unkind to Mozilla. Their consequences of their strategy of letting designers run wild and constantly chase away users, and giving up all their differentiating factors in the marketplace are going to come home to roost. The money they bring in is going to start reflecting their vanishing userbase.

Their strategy of not allowing donations directly to fund the browser, and on spending money on anything other than the browser is what’s killed them. That plus having multiple HQs in the most expensive cities in the world, and generally behaving like a tech giant in terms of staff luxuries. 90% of everything they have been doing is worthless.

They could’ve made $500 mil last a long time with competent management and behaving like the open source project they are.

I’d be very sad to see MDN disappear or go to poo poo too, it’s the best reference for web dev stuff by far imo.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Lightningproof posted:

So uh, if Firefox is gently drifting into an iceberg, anyone have positive experiences with any alternatives (inb4 obligatory "Chrome" gag)?

Microsoft Edge is good. It's Chrome, but it has tab mute (which is pretty much the only reason to use it over Chrome). Also, instead of annoying you with Google login prompts, it annoys you with Microsoft account login prompts.

And it has terrible feature creep compared to Chrome, but luckily, those extra features can be ignored. Extensions can be installed directly from the Chrome Web Store (just enable "Allow extensions from other stores" in the bottom left corner of the Extensions window)

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Oh, that's good to hear. What the heck was the Threat & Incident Team then? Security PR?

Lightningproof posted:

Vivaldi, but I think jumping ship right now is a bit premature. Unless you were already up on the deck looking around for a lifeboat.

overmind2000 posted:

loving yikes, at this point they should just spin off the non-business parts of Mozilla into something similar to The Document Foundation. There's no way the community could possibly gently caress this up any worse than Mozilla already has.

Mozilla is already controlled by a Foundation, but it's a great example of how non-profit foundations aren't automatically better than for-profit corporations. Even though the organization itself doesn't have the motive for unchecked profit, the people in charge still do. More money justifies bigger salaries.

tl;dr :guillotine:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

Lightningproof posted:

Obviously just move to {{insert fork of Firefox whose development would also screech to a halt, since most/all of its underlying code is based off of Mozilla's}}