Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

The White Dragon posted:

out of the blue i was thinking about that magic school game chucklefuck was publishing (developing?). this feels like two or three years ago already though... did it come out to little fanfare?

nah its not out yet. i think it was gonna be a stardew valley type life sim and not an rpg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
it also won't ever come out

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
Academagia is the only magic school life sim anyone should ever need anyway

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

I don't remember much about Chrono Cross, but I remember fighting Miguel.

I very vividly remember the body swapping with the villain being a neat contrivance for getting a different perspective of the world while still ostensibly being the same character viewpoint. And while I don't remember everything that went down in them I remember the set pieces like Viper Manor and the boat very strongly.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The best part of Chrono Cross is how absolutely massive turd-burglars the gnomes are, especially if your playthroughs went "save kid" -> "don't save kid"

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I don't remember who Miguel is or why I was fighting him, but I remember the fight itself.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

"WHY DOES HE HAVE A LIGHTSABER?" should be the subtitle for any Chrono Cross rerelease.

Garai was also a real rude piece of trash but you have significantly better options when you get to him so I remember him being way easier but still 2nd hardest boss.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
you have fewer options with garai than with miguel

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The White Dragon posted:

Thats just memory tricking me probably, I just remember him being rude but easier than Miguel.

thark
Mar 3, 2008

bork
So this is extremely random, but does anyone know what Rorona's theme on the Atelier Meruru soundtrack is called? (The one with the "shalalala" chorus.)

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

AFancyQuestionMark posted:

Did they ever release more than the first year?

Belan
May 7, 2007

thark posted:

So this is extremely random, but does anyone know what Rorona's theme on the Atelier Meruru soundtrack is called? (The one with the "shalalala" chorus.)

Hinatabokko or Sunbathing for meruru. Disc 3 track 15.

Belan fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Aug 11, 2020

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

AFancyQuestionMark posted:

i rather take magical diary honestly.the way academagia is setup feels like it works against its conceit

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
Academagia is fun but it really bugs me that they have separate stats for how well you actually know a subject and how well you can do on a test for that subject, and actually going to class raises neither.

If you want to get good grades you should skip class to go to the library.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Snake Maze posted:

Academagia is fun but it really bugs me that they have separate stats for how well you actually know a subject and how well you can do on a test for that subject, and actually going to class raises neither.

I mean that is an accurate depiction of educational systems.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Did Academagia ever get its sequel

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

The White Dragon posted:

i remember me and my friend got stuck on that boss for ages, until we discovered that for some strange reason the unique ability from the dancer character called "sexy wink" was really effective on him, so we just winked sexily at the toughest baddest boss in the game until he died

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Tired Moritz posted:

Did Academagia ever get its sequel

Nope. And the devs haven't mentioned it for years so I think it's dead.

They also kickstarted a game in the meantime that was supposed to be released in 2017 but is also way behind
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/blackchickenstudios/victory-belles

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Mokinokaro posted:

They also kickstarted a game in the meantime that was supposed to be released in 2017 but is also way behind

Supposedly they're still working on it extremely slowly, with assurances being brought up even fairly recently on their original forum, but take that for what it's worth.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Mokinokaro posted:

that company is two dudes working in their spare time with a pathological hatred of deadlines and displaying any signs of progress. one of them pretends to be a PR rep on their forums, or they have a buddy who is enough of a sucker to do it, who reassures the three people who haven't lost faith in year 2's existence that it'll be done Soon about once a month, every month, for the last ten years

Snake Maze posted:

that's not completely true. class does give you skill points, and even semi-unique rewards like obscure phemes, it's just that the rate is so slow it's barely noticeable, with most days of class being totally worthless and a few select ones throughout the year giving mechanical benefits. which days are beneficial are different for each class, maybe even shuffled per-playthrough, so it's basically impossible to game.

god, what a game. if it were more moddable so that poo poo like crafting, dueling, and the interface could actually be fixed by mods it would be incredible

Jazerus fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Aug 11, 2020

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Paperhouse posted:

I honestly think that 100% of players got wrecked by Miguel the first time they fought him
Hey now! Some players would already know his deal from reading a walkthrough or hearing about him online like this. So it can't be 100%.

Barudak posted:

The best part of Chrono Cross is how absolutely massive turd-burglars the gnomes are, especially if your playthroughs went "save kid" -> "don't save kid"
Gnomes? :confused:

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

The dwarves. The whole plot thing with them is that you show up and kill the last Hydra because you need it to make an antivenin for Kid, and that Hydra was a Load-Bearing Boss for the entire swamp ecosystem, so in a few years the place is going to turn into a virtually unlivable toxic morass. So they invade the fairies and kill a bunch of them.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Commander Keene posted:

The dwarves. The whole plot thing with them is that you show up and kill the last Hydra because you need it to make an antivenin for Kid, and that Hydra was a Load-Bearing Boss for the entire swamp ecosystem, so in a few years the place is going to turn into a virtually unlivable toxic morass. So they invade the fairies and kill a bunch of them.

The dwarves, you're right.

And its funnier than that which is why its so memorable. When you kill the hydra yourself the Dwarves spite you with their dying breath that only humans are capable of such cruelty and that you've cursed them to die. In the alternate playthrough you see their plan is "genocide all the fairies and take over their lands" and that they are racist as all hell against other demi-humans. Its just such a good use of two playthroughs/different timelines that games rarely tack where peoples behaviors/attitudes don't change just their opportunities and the dwarves are awful.

There is also an alternate alternate ending where if you have razzy she will confirm that the mother hydra had children already and those children can keep the marshes running which possibly makes the whole thing even funnier.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

https://twitter.com/HDKirin/status/1293382513184784386

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Barudak posted:

Thats just memory tricking me probably, I just remember him being rude but easier than Miguel.

miguel is memorable because he can one shot white-innate characters with the same color element

garai is memorable because at most you can have one character who ISN'T black innate in your party

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

There should be two versions; One for $1, and the other for $100,000.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Barudak posted:

The dwarves, you're right.

And its funnier than that which is why its so memorable. When you kill the hydra yourself the Dwarves spite you with their dying breath that only humans are capable of such cruelty and that you've cursed them to die. In the alternate playthrough you see their plan is "genocide all the fairies and take over their lands" and that they are racist as all hell against other demi-humans. Its just such a good use of two playthroughs/different timelines that games rarely tack where peoples behaviors/attitudes don't change just their opportunities and the dwarves are awful.

There is also an alternate alternate ending where if you have razzy she will confirm that the mother hydra had children already and those children can keep the marshes running which possibly makes the whole thing even funnier.
Oh, yes, the dwarves are colossal hypocrites.

Annoyingly, I don't think the game really calls them out on this, IIRC the fairies are pissed at you for saving them from the dwarves in the path where they attack the fairies? Despite you not being involved except to help the fairies in that route.

Pijeus
Feb 24, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I just finished Fairy Tail on switch, and I think it holds my current record for most irritating final boss - I must have reduced him to zero 7 times before the game let me kill him, and I am so very done with that nonsense. Any games where you kill someone first time and they just go down and stay down?

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

guess you liked the game though if you finished it? how is it?

thark
Mar 3, 2008

bork
So I'm playing Atelier Lulua and I guess I should have read up more before selecting it?

What I expected: The return of the glory days of the Arland series.

What I got: A prototype for the systems that eventually became Ryza and isn't quite there yet.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

yeah lulua takes place in arland for the benefit of returning personalities and tugging on old plot details to conclude them, not to rehash their timed gameplay structure or crafting system

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Amppelix posted:

guess you liked the game though if you finished it? how is it?

I’ve put about 6 hours into the game myself, and the combat system is pretty fun and fast paced. The story itself is okay, it really just boils down some later story stuff into more bite sized pieces and adds a “they also did this in between” element to it.

The biggest “Gust doesn’t have a budget” is obvious when cutscenes happen. If the character is not a major character, they do not get an in game model. Which makes for really odd directed cut-scenes, such as when you first come back to the guild. You run into Macao (sp?) who has been taking care of it and his kid and you’re talking to them, but they are never present on screen, just in the text boxes, so it looks like you’re talking to someone who somehow manages to always be offscreen and might not even be in the building considering how small it is. It gets a little jarring.

Gust did a good job with what they had to work with and it’s better than the billion “just do an action brawler” anime adaptation games. They just needed a bigger budget to make story stuff pop better.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Zereth posted:

Oh, yes, the dwarves are colossal hypocrites.

Annoyingly, I don't think the game really calls them out on this, IIRC the fairies are pissed at you for saving them from the dwarves in the path where they attack the fairies? Despite you not being involved except to help the fairies in that route.

The game does not, which is in a sense why it was so memorable because you're very mad at the game at that point.

As you mention, the fairies blame humans for killing the Hydra and forcing the dwarves into this if you don't go to the swamp, which is again amusing because when you gently caress up the dwarves in that timeline the fairies are pretty chill about the whole dwarf genocide thing since they aren't affected.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
That reminds me of Trails of cold steel three where half the cutscene isn’t voice acted.

I don’t mean half the total half of one scene

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

The Black Stones posted:

I’ve put about 6 hours into the game myself, and the combat system is pretty fun and fast paced. The story itself is okay, it really just boils down some later story stuff into more bite sized pieces and adds a “they also did this in between” element to it.

The biggest “Gust doesn’t have a budget” is obvious when cutscenes happen. If the character is not a major character, they do not get an in game model. Which makes for really odd directed cut-scenes, such as when you first come back to the guild. You run into Macao (sp?) who has been taking care of it and his kid and you’re talking to them, but they are never present on screen, just in the text boxes, so it looks like you’re talking to someone who somehow manages to always be offscreen and might not even be in the building considering how small it is. It gets a little jarring.

Gust did a good job with what they had to work with and it’s better than the billion “just do an action brawler” anime adaptation games. They just needed a bigger budget to make story stuff pop better.

Also everyone has exactly one portrait for cutscenes, which makes it funny when they should be expressing another emotion. Like, the girls always have big smiles and the guys always have grim determination, no matter what's going on in the scene.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

CharlestheHammer posted:

That reminds me of Trails of cold steel three where half the cutscene isn’t voice acted.

I don’t mean half the total half of one scene

1 and 2 were that way in Japanese but there was around 50% more voice acting in English due to XSEED.

I agree it's super jarring.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Mokinokaro posted:

1 and 2 were that way in Japanese but there was around 50% more voice acting in English due to XSEED.

I agree it's super jarring.

Yeah but that apparently something to do with Reans VA.

I don’t know why some scenes the rest of class 7 aren’t voiced.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
since we're talking Atelier here and I don't want to go dig up the Atelier thread: I know Ryza has both new game plus and a "continue after the final boss" thing. does the latter lock you out of any stuff? I'm pretty sure I've done all the quests I can up to this point and stuff so probably not worth worrying about, but curious. I'm not... really sure I'm going to go for completionism on this game, though I think I'm approaching the last boss

also are these weird floating bosses on thrones supposed to be something I'm supposed to save for endgame? I should try just fighting one I guess but I'm always carrying a million things I don't wanna lose and this game doesn't have a run button

this game is weird. it's not very good, the progression is nonsense, it's easy enough you can ignore most of the systems, I don't like all the additional mechanics they added on the edges of crafting like the dumb bottle worlds and item duplicator or whatever, and I'm glad it's not longer than 40 hours cuz it already feels like I'm very done with it. it's cute and charming but I can't see myself playing Ryza 2 unless it makes a big, drastic change

I know Ryza is generally less liked than other Ateliers by fans for being shallower and shorter, so what do those other games have that makes them more compelling? I could imagine the time management aspect being interesting, as much as I usually hate those sorts of mechanics; assuming that crafting advances time like it does in Ryza I imagine you have to do a slight bit more optimization instead of just kinda slamming out recipes with minimal effort to upgrade alchemy stats and unlock parts of the tree like I do in Ryza

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
In order: The continuing after final boss thing just unlocks a bonus boss and the last travel bottle. It does not lock you out of anything. The Great Elementals are bonus bosses, but aside from the Dark one (the post-game bonus boss) all can be defeated before the final boss, and you will need to defeat them to completely craft certain items (most of which are endgame gathering tools). The bottle worlds and item duplicator are strictly QoL and you don't have to use them if you don't want to (I personally got a lot of use out of both when I was crafting my post-game gear, and not that much beforehand, except for grabbing things that were theoretically common but in practice a hassle to collect).