Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
The only real accessible side of SF4 is it was SF2 with them big muscly polygons, which is what people had wanted ever since 3d graphics became a thing.

Mr. Locke posted:

Xrd and the tech ArcSys made for it would not exist without SF4.
Nah, tech-wise that's all on Arcsys' own Battle Fantasia, which is also where SF4 cribbed its technical aspects from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

This sums up how I feel about Ono:

SF4 at times feels like a "too big to fail" scenario. When vanilla came out the general gist seemed to be "This game isn't great but hey it's Street Fighter."

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014
I see absolutely nothing wrong with that picture?

A surfing dog?!
Apr 23, 2006

The guy on the left is Rufus' original design I think.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Chev posted:

The only real accessible side of SF4 is it was SF2 with them big muscly polygons, which is what people had wanted ever since 3d graphics became a thing.

Nah, tech-wise that's all on Arcsys' own Battle Fantasia, which is also where SF4 cribbed its technical aspects from.

I think he's saying that ArcSys wouldn't have spent the huge amount of money that they did to refine xrd, which by their own admission took an absolute ton of work, without fighting games becoming a much more popular genre.

Which I generally agree with! SFIV is by no means a perfect game, but the weird revisionism people have about it's influence is strange to me. SFIV absolutely brought a TON of people into fighting games. Those people then later branched out to play other things and support other series over the years.

Would there still be fighting games without SFIV? Sure of course, but they would almost certainly be vastly more niche and lower budget affairs.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

Elvis_Maximus posted:

I think he's saying that ArcSys wouldn't have spent the huge amount of money that they did to refine xrd, which by their own admission took an absolute ton of work, without fighting games becoming a much more popular genre.
They would have! They did, in fact, as the Xrd projet started a bit before SF4 had come out, plus there's the whole tech demo aspect, where Xrd was basically made to pitch arcsys' tech and art expertise at the likes of Namco Bandai and Cygames. I think they were always betting on getting into the cyberconnect zone, ie grab some hot anime property that'd sell tons irrespective of the genre as long as they could bring the visuals to a faithful level.

Elvis_Maximus posted:

Would there still be fighting games without SFIV? Sure of course, but they would almost certainly be vastly more niche and lower budget affairs.

That's completely discounting that stuff like Tekken was doing great, Smash was doing great, and I suspect MK would've made the same comeback it did even without SF4. I think SF4 ws always more about the resurrection of capcom fighting games, not the genre in general unless you specifically take the genre to be just the capcom-style stuff. I do think SF4 brought a boost to the genre, just nowhere as big as SF fans feel.

Chev fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Aug 12, 2020

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Chev posted:

They would have! They did, in fact, as the Xrd projet started a bit before SF4 had come out, plus there's the whole tech demo aspect, where Xrd was basically made to pitch arcsys' tech and art expertise at the likes of Namco Bandai and Cygames. I think they were always betting on getting into the cyberconnect zone, ie grab some hot anime property that'd sell tons irrespective of the genre as long as they could bring the visuals to a faithful level.

That's completely discounting that stuff like Tekken was doing great, Smash was doing great, and I suspect MK would've made the same comeback it did even without SF4. I think SF4 ws always more about the resurrection of capcom fighting games, not the genre in general unless you specifically take the genre to be just the capcom-style stuff. I do think SF4 brought a boost to the genre, just nowhere as big as SF fans feel.

I didn't realize xrd was in development that long tbh! Considering it released in 2014 it must've been in active development for 6 years at least which is.. honestly insane.

And smash was popular, in addition to Tekken. But idk.. SF4 brought a lot of money and eyeballs. Those games would certainly have existed regardless but I'm still not sure they'd be as big today. But honestly it's impossible to know either way I suppose

I am pretty excited to see what becomes of SF without Ono's influence on a totally different note. Maybe we'll get a good one now that it's official

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
i think people here are downplaying the cultural cachet of a new numbered entry in the series that defined the genre, and it speaks to its soft power that it took 4 entries for ono to burn away the rest of his political capital at capcom

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

1 frame links arent accessible vs an anime game with gatling

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Blazblue made me like non Tekken fighting games again and I will take that secret to my grave.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Barudak posted:

Blazblue made me like non Tekken fighting games again and I will take that secret to my grave.

BlazBlue was and is insanely fun, even if I'm unbelievably bad at it

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Fun times going online with Jin and just slamming the right stick to the left constantly

Barudak
May 7, 2007

kirbysuperstar posted:

Fun times going online with Jin and just slamming the right stick to the left constantly

How dare you, I knew how to perform baby's first combos too!

JesusLovesRonwell
Aug 12, 2004

I want to touch my Rosalina-sama all over~

<3<3<3

The gross fat white dude has a very punchable face/persona.

Also lol, like the least dynamic duo

edit: lmao

JesusLovesRonwell fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Aug 12, 2020

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

A surfing dog?! posted:

The guy on the left is Rufus' original design I think.
you mean the one that is way more boring?

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

InnercityGriot posted:

Ultradavid and James Chen did not exactly give a glowing farewell, either. I wish someone would spill the beans already and say what was going on.

I don't think there's anything "going on" beyond Ono sucked poo poo as a producer.

gently caress Ono for denying us a cool black guy in SF4 but the Rufus we got is good as hell.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

I presume the Gundam EXVS population is still pretty healthy since it only came out a few weeks ago, but how long does the population usually last? I never played the previous versions, so I don't know if they died off almost immediately or not

I think I've talked myself into picking it up, I've been itching to play some and reading through the document gives me a much better idea how to play.

Pockyless
Jun 6, 2004
With flaming Canadians and such :(

Elvis_Maximus posted:

I presume the Gundam EXVS population is still pretty healthy since it only came out a few weeks ago, but how long does the population usually last? I never played the previous versions, so I don't know if they died off almost immediately or not

I think I've talked myself into picking it up, I've been itching to play some and reading through the document gives me a much better idea how to play.

This is the first real release of the game on consoles outside of Japan so it’s impossible to guess its longevity. I have been able to get ranked matches easily and scrub tier MMR and the discord is very active which are good signs. Inside of japan this was the #1 selling game with over 100,000 copies sold in the first week. Most of my friends do not want to pay $60 and I think that sentiment is not uncommon.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Chev posted:

The only real accessible side of SF4 is it was SF2 with them big muscly polygons,

no it wasnt

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Endorph posted:

i like that the only times ive seen you post in this thread are when someone mentions fate/unlimited codes. keep it up.

I'm always down to F/UC

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
At the time we were told SF4 was reviving the genre, despite the fact that the genre was never dead.

What did cause a huge revolutionary effect was the SF4 Madcatz TE. It brought Sanwa buttons home to people all over the world and completely changed how every company makes peripherals. Most people who play on stick now never would have done so if it wasn't for Markman convincing Madcatz to make a branded SF4 stick with real, actually good parts.

euphemism
Nov 16, 2015

be kind, don't rewind
honestly the one good thing about sf4 is it made fireballs actually not completely useless trash again

euphemism
Nov 16, 2015

be kind, don't rewind
also even if sf4 sucked, the very early moments of it were truly kind of cool and cultural. like seeing that many people in an arcade again, learning new tech while still being stuck using the pre-twitter internet. it didn't 100% capture the communal magic of older fighting games, but it was the last one to do so.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

IronicDongz posted:

you mean the one that is way more boring?

I have no love for the giant sphere with a pony tail that twirls around. It was the first time I felt a character design broke the framework all priors SF’s established.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Another muscle guy in a gi is less fun than big jiggly spinning fat guy. I would’ve taken this other guy over Abel but not over Rufus.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

I honestly don't know of another place to ask this, but I'm interested in getting a Hitbox for PS4 but being in Canada makes most options prohibitively expensive or complicated, I was hoping to spend at most $300 CAD. I'm considering modding a Qanba Drone but with the tools and other gear I would need I think I'd spend more than it should cost me anyway. Are there good sources within Canada (that would ship) for custom/specialized fight sticks that I can investigate?

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Gutcruncher posted:

Another muscle guy in a gi is less fun than big jiggly spinning fat guy. I would’ve taken this other guy over Abel but not over Rufus.

:yeah:

And thanks for the info on exvs, sounds like if I'm going to get it though I should probably pick it up pretty soon just in case.

Good to know there's an active discord presence as well because these kind of things are always more fun as a team. Shame there's not a PC release

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Elvis_Maximus posted:

Good to know there's an active discord presence as well because these kind of things are always more fun as a team. Shame there's not a PC release

People didn't buy New Gundam Breaker on PC so clearly there's no market.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

euphemism posted:

also even if sf4 sucked, the very early moments of it were truly kind of cool and cultural. like seeing that many people in an arcade again, learning new tech while still being stuck using the pre-twitter internet. it didn't 100% capture the communal magic of older fighting games, but it was the last one to do so.
i would bet that games like border break brought more people into arcades around the same time than sf4 did

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Thread has influenced me to grab Centralfication while it's on sale.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

i just really hate focus attacks

Speaking as a 100% scrub, picking up SF4 back in 2013 and learning FADC combos was some of the most fun I've ever had playing any game. Being able to eventually pull them off during fights both online and locally was super satisfying.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

Broken Loose posted:

At the time we were told SF4 was reviving the genre, despite the fact that the genre was never dead.

What did cause a huge revolutionary effect was the SF4 Madcatz TE. It brought Sanwa buttons home to people all over the world and completely changed how every company makes peripherals. Most people who play on stick now never would have done so if it wasn't for Markman convincing Madcatz to make a branded SF4 stick with real, actually good parts.

That was the turning point, at least for me. I'd already been casually playing guilty gear and melee, but when SF4 came out my roommate and I wanted to try and get serious with a fighting game but playing on xbox360 controllers was hard to pull off combos. There were no sticks for us anywhere to buy and I didn't even know where to begin, so we ended up dropping fighting games. I didn't pick it up again until Super SF4 came out and I had bought a qanba.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

Elvis_Maximus posted:

I didn't realize xrd was in development that long tbh! Considering it released in 2014 it must've been in active development for 6 years at least which is.. honestly insane.
It is if you think of it as a single game, kinda. But on one hand, they weren't making a single game since they were following the model where games get expanded incrementally (back then with the arcade<->home cycle, these days with season passes), and on the other hand, they weren't designing just a game, they were designing the future of their company, the production pipeline most of their future games were gonna be built on and their new public identity. Arcsys has, I think, at least tripled in size thanks to it so it was worth the investment.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I think you guys ignore the impact of SF4 globally too bunch of stupid gringos. Brazil didn't exactly have a flourishing arcade scene, for instance, and SF4 actually created a number of local communities that didn't exist or connected some that didn't knew each other. gently caress, almost no one played MVC2 outside of Rio IIRC because there weren't any MVC2 cabs anywhere else, and if you lived outside of a major city or a capital, even poo poo like Neo-Geo cabs were hard to find. SF4 was the first time a lot of people effectively had access to a fighting game they could play against other people, including myself.

To me it feels ridiculous, almost negationist to say SF4 didn't have a massive impact on the FG scene just because you hated the game. For good or for bad it shaped every single release that came after it, and it attracted a LOT of people to the genre either as their main game or an entry point. I'm not gonna say fighting games were "saved" by it, because financially they were doing fine anyway and series like Tekken never died, but c'mon, you can't sit here and not see SF4 was considerably bigger than something like Tekken 6 in terms of playerbase and recognition.

Dias fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Aug 12, 2020

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

MK woulda just picked up the slack to keep fighting games afloat a while longer. :smuggo:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

people definitely overstate how much impact sfiv had but saying it didnt have much impact at all is absurd

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

Perhaps the truth lies somewhere in the middle...

brian
Sep 11, 2001
I obtained this title through beard tax.

sf4 changed the game and it was never the same again, moderately

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I think SF4 was fortunate in its timing but also did a lot of stuff "right", for a given value of "right". Multiplatform, functioning online, a return to basics in terms of form coupled with a big, popular IP with no recent releases and online gaming becoming bigger...even the ~ugly 3D~ was the correct move at the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

We also cannot ignore the lasting cultural impact of Indestructible.