Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who will you vote for in 2020?
This poll is closed.
Biden 425 18.06%
Trump 105 4.46%
whoever the Green Party runs 307 13.05%
GOOGLE RON PAUL 151 6.42%
Bernie Sanders 346 14.70%
Stalin 246 10.45%
Satan 300 12.75%
Nobody 202 8.58%
Jess Scarane 110 4.67%
mystery man Brian Carroll of the American Solidarity Party 61 2.59%
Dick Nixon 100 4.25%
Total: 2089 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Verus
Jun 3, 2011

AUT INVENIAM VIAM AUT FACIAM

Code Jockey posted:

lmao

it never ceases to amuse me when people forget to clean up after themselves, though anymore I just assume people are screenshotting everything as soon as it's posted anyway

I'm about to screenshot this flagrant use of positive 'anymore'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Verus posted:

I'm about to screenshot this flagrant use of positive 'anymore'.

I was hacked, by Russians

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Just looked it up and Joe wants to return to Obama's Cuba policy, but also maintain sanctions. Not really sure how that's supposed to work.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Wicked Them Beats posted:

Just looked it up and Joe wants to return to Obama's Cuba policy, but also maintain sanctions. Not really sure how that's supposed to work.

We open up better communications with their government, so that we can tell them we aren't providing aid until they stop being commies and tell Maduro that he's a jerk

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I mean Biden is seriously just Blue Trump.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

is it really that hard to have standards? jesus

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Rainbow Knight posted:

is it really that hard to have standards? jesus

What does your heart tell you?

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

the "you are racist/sexist if you don't like Kamala" machine is really kicking into high gear.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

DynamicSloth posted:

Can I point out it would have been much smarter to give Marianne Williamson and Andrew Yang speaking spots at the DNC than John Kasich if you're seeking to expand the party. I guess there weren't enough Lich's on the schedule already.

I'm "whatever who cares" on Kasich speaking but I think this is a correct take.

it does bear more risk of actually influencing democratic policy but eh, I'll take dumb techbro brainworms in exchange for more prominent UBI especially after our wildly inadequate covid19 stimulus experiments

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Famethrowa posted:

the "you are racist/sexist if you don't like Kamala" machine is really kicking into high gear.

I saw someone be told that they can't have an opinion on Kamala Harris's record ever because they are a man.

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica
Is Anna Navarro the extent of the Biden campaigns hispanic outreach?

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

I said come in! posted:

I saw someone be told that they can't have an opinion on Kamala Harris's record ever because they are a man.

ive seen a lot of this but it was specifically white men

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

papa horny michael posted:

Is Anna Navarro the extent of the Biden campaigns hispanic outreach?

No. Not even close.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/07/13/biden-latino-vote-360033 - several others are mentioned in this article from last month.

I think Navarro is there mostly as "right-wing hawk/defense contractor outreach" with "Latino outreach" as a PR cover. Of course, it's extremely troubling that Biden feels the need to have one of those.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Noooooo, the dastardly traitor Krystal Ball revealed that Kamala was the favored pick of Wall Street and woke Hollywood. This is like handing a nuclear arsenal to the Republicans!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yn3SHp2KnHM

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Mellow Seas posted:

No. Not even close.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/07/13/biden-latino-vote-360033 - several others are mentioned in this article from last month.

I think Navarro is there mostly as "right-wing hawk/defense contractor outreach" with "Latino outreach" as a PR cover. Of course, it's extremely troubling that Biden feels the need to have one of those.

That the campaign even sees her as someone it's okay to publicly associate with is like a whole field of red flags.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

So how hosed are we going to let the post office get?

https://www.npr.org/2020/08/11/901219097/how-are-postmaster-general-dejoys-changes-affecting-workers

KAROL: Yes, we are beginning to see those changes and how it is impacting the mail. Mail is beginning to pile up in our offices, and we're seeing equipment being removed. So we are beginning to see the impact of those changes.

KING: Curious - I hadn't heard about this one - equipment being removed. What equipment?

KAROL: The sorting equipment that we use to process mail for delivery. In Iowa, we are losing machines. And they already in Waterloo were losing one of those machines. So that also hinders our ability to process mail in the way that we had in the past.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

MonsieurChoc posted:

He really, really isn't. He's bad but in ways that do not conveniently map against Trump in any way.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

JT Jag posted:

He really, really isn't. He's bad but in ways that do not conveniently map against Trump in any way.

Oh. Well, if you say so.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Excelzior posted:

Oh. Well, if you say so.
I feel that people in this thread have developed a habit of downtalking Biden in the easiest, simplest way possible. "He's basically the same as Trump". So on and so forth. Biden is his own person with his own set of problems. His foreign policy beliefs are worse than Trump's, in all likelihood. But he's not a walking golem of spite, narcissism and persecution complexes like Trump is.

rko
Jul 12, 2017
E: ^^^ JT, Biden widely and publicly lied that his dead family members were killed by a drunk driver to boost his own PR and he’s been repeatedly accused of sexual misconduct. He’s been a creature of the Senate longer than many of us have been alive, and his family’s corruption is about as comically plain as the Trumps.

He just plays by the rules instead of flagrantly violating them. That’s all you’re getting.

shrike82 posted:

The lesson from this primary and election as a whole (especially if Biden ends up winning) is that people need to break out of the online leftist Twitter bubble. Basically everything that seized the attention of the bubble had no real world relevance - all the bullshit about Warren and Buttigieg was just in the imaginations of the terminally online.

The internet is real life, and both are lousy with bubbles. This idea that all the leftists ITT are myopic idiots who’ve just been listening to Chapo and reading twitter for the last four years, whereas the Chad Biden supporters have been out in the Real World where things are Relevant, it’s just impossible to engage with. It’s a line of argument that’s continually trotted out to dismiss critiques of the Dems from the left, but it has no basis in anything other than conventional wisdom—most of which gets manufactured by the media bubbles you see as “objective” and “authoritative” as opposed to all those fake online people.

And the end result is poo poo like your last line, where plain and obvious corruption happening right in front of you is dismissed as Twitter delusions. Cognitive dissonance sure is a hell of a thing.

rko fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Aug 12, 2020

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica

Mellow Seas posted:

No. Not even close.

Those are some light weights. Especially troubling with Laura Jimenez as engagement director, and Julie Chavez Rodriguez seemingly a capitulation to kamala harris joining the campaign.

His outreach is already looking like too little, too late. Bidens national polling with Hispanics actually fell several points since this team was acquired lol

Trump may just give a few dreamers citizenship accessibility in a last minute attempt to depress democratic turnout.

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

JT Jag posted:

But he's not a walking golem of spite, narcissism and persecution complexes like Trump is.

Is he really that different? Biden's been getting pissed off and saying stupid racist bullshit at the drop of a dime when he gets upset in interviews and stuff...

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Those are some light weights. Especially troubling with Laura Jimenez as engagement director, and Julie Chavez Rodriguez seemingly a capitulation to kamala harris joining the campaign.

His outreach is already looking like too little, too late. Bidens national polling with Hispanics actually fell several points since this team was acquired lol

Trump may just give a few dreamers citizenship accessibility in a last minute attempt to depress democratic turnout.
lmao I can't believe people are still insisting Trump is gonna outflank Biden to the left

It's literally not in his DNA to do anything that could even be considered good for minorities, he hates them too much and if his handlers try to do it behind his back he'll sabotage it

Mischievous Mink posted:

Is he really that different? Biden's been getting pissed off and saying stupid racist bullshit at the drop of a dime when he gets upset in interviews and stuff...
It's on an entirely different level. Biden is Casual Paternalistic Thinks He Knows Best Racist. Trump literally wants minorities to die.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

spunkshui posted:

https://www.npr.org/2020/08/11/901219097/how-are-postmaster-general-dejoys-changes-affecting-workers

KAROL: Yes, we are beginning to see those changes and how it is impacting the mail. Mail is beginning to pile up in our offices, and we're seeing equipment being removed. So we are beginning to see the impact of those changes.

KING: Curious - I hadn't heard about this one - equipment being removed. What equipment?

KAROL: The sorting equipment that we use to process mail for delivery. In Iowa, we are losing machines. And they already in Waterloo were losing one of those machines. So that also hinders our ability to process mail in the way that we had in the past.

I used to deliver mail. Banning overtime basically cripples the service all on its own but if they're actually pulling out sorting equipment on top of that then it's completely and utterly hosed as a service.

I recommend hand delivering your ballot to your local election office if possible.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

JT Jag posted:

I feel that people in this thread have developed a habit of downtalking Biden in the easiest, simplest way possible. "He's basically the same as Trump". So on and so forth. Biden is his own person with his own set of problems. His foreign policy beliefs are worse than Trump's, in all likelihood. But he's not a walking golem of spite, narcissism and persecution complexes like Trump is.

You're right, Biden is a shuffling zombie of lying,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7SjrpfCp30k

narcissism

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1j0FS0Z6ho

and persecution complexes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyq55Nzm4sg

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Unless he can find some way to do this where Latinos find out about it but white people somehow don’t, it would probably cost him more votes than it got him.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Again, not a single one of these hand-picked examples rises even close to the level that Trump displays every time he opens his mouth.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

Mellow Seas posted:

Unless he can find some way to do this where Latinos find out about it but white people somehow don’t, it would probably cost him more votes than it got him.

oh his voters aren’t going anywhere

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica
Glad to hear the motivations for Biden's racism are purer than Trump! Some real good points made by JT throughout this page lol

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica

Mellow Seas posted:

Pointing out the good ones is a beloved past time for republicans. They love being seen hiring the good ones.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Glad to hear the motivations for Biden's racism are purer than Trump! Some real good points made by JT throughout this page lol
I have made it incredibly clear throughout this thread that I don't like Biden, I wish he hadn't won the nomination, and yet if Trump wins it will be a disaster for the country on so many different levels, and a Biden administration is marginally preferable. But I guess even this is a crazy opinion to some people.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Rainbow Knight posted:

oh his voters aren’t going anywhere

In this circumstance, a lot of them would also not go to their precinct on election day. They have few sacred cows, but giving in on "amnesty" is one of them. The few times he's made noise in that issue the pushback he got from the CHUD's was significant enough to get him to get back in line. They are reluctantly fine with him saying meaningless words for political purposes, but not anything that would be a big policy change the other way.

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica

JT Jag posted:

I have made it incredibly clear throughout this thread that I don't like Biden, I wish he hadn't won the nomination, and yet if Trump wins it will be a disaster for the country on so many different levels, and a Biden administration is marginally preferable. But I guess even this is a crazy opinion to some people.

Your posts don't follow from what other people are posting except in the most generalized manner so as too be useless for discussion of specificity.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Your posts don't follow from what other people are posting except in the most generalized manner so as too be useless for discussion of specificity.
I mean, I could post a billion videos of Trump being an utter piece of poo poo, but I don't see the point because I think everyone already knows.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

spunkshui posted:

Without the sorting machines, the post office is done. Those machines are beyond critical at every level of the operation.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

Rigel posted:

In this circumstance, a lot of them would also not go to their precinct on election day. They have few sacred cows, but giving in on "amnesty" is one of them. The few times he's made noise in that issue the pushback he got from the CHUD's was significant enough to get him to get back in line. They are reluctantly fine with him saying meaningless words for political purposes, but not anything that would be a big policy change the other way.

no kidding? i figured all he would have to say is “these immigrants! they came in the right way! they are good hombres!” or some other lie and then the burden of researching the truth would be on a fuggin trump supporter lol

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

JT Jag posted:

Again, not a single one of these hand-picked examples rises even close to the level that Trump displays every time he opens his mouth.

JT Jag posted:

So the issue is mostly, if not entirely, aesthetic?

I'm trying to think about what specific policy-related stuff Trump has done that are motivated by his or his inner circle's especially bad racism, sexism, xenophobia, etc that haven't been either happily cosigned by the democrats or given a stern tut-tut then cosigned anyway. Muslim ban and AFFH reversal?

Even the AFFH (and similar bad for the poor/especially bad for poor POC policies/orders) seems pretty clearly (to me, anyway) to be dictated by the specific group of rich people that have Trump's ear, and is noteworthy because they're very quick and decisive about gutting these things in the service of private profit. Under a Biden administration I very much doubt we'll see anything like that, but what I'd bet my life that we will see is the continuing loophole-building, defunding and degradation of these systems and institutions for the exact same reasons. It'll be a slower collapse and we won't see as many throat-cuttings as the Trump admin.

Is it better?

I guess? It's a longer, slower bleed-out, that's for sure. I get the feeling that a lot of people who agree with your line of thinking have this expectation that either help is just around the corner or under a Biden administration we can start rebuilding, and I just don't see it and, frankly, don't get why anyone does. A Biden administration profits from the same underlying cancers that plague the working class as a Trump administration does. Sure, the former will have some means-tested young entrepreneur initiatives that the latter won't, but on the meaningful stuff (wealth redistribution, healthcare, a social safety net, defunding the loving cops, US imperialism, etc) Biden has already made clear that he's not going to lift a finger.

In the end I have to think we're hosed either way. Is Biden less bad? Does he hurt, on the average, fewer vulnerable Americans? Sure, I guess, but they're both basically the same in the medium-to-long term in regards to the material conditions of working class Americans. Biden is less aesthetically unpleasant and far more palatable to the people who view politics like they view their TV show.

Pentecoastal Elites fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Aug 12, 2020

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

JT Jag posted:

From a global perspective, the difference in terms of harm of Trump's malevolence tampered by incompetence versus Biden's competent imperialism is more of a matter of who suffers rather than how much suffering there is, overall.

Trying to erase Biden's flaws because of whatever marginal improvement you think there might be is more harmful than whatever risk to his election might be by being truthful.

I trust Henry Kissinger, Ana Navarro, Amit Jani, David Frum, Max Boot, Bill Kristol, John Negroponte, Colin Powell, Richard Armitage when they say that Biden is more in line with their view of foreign policy.

This election isn't close and is not going to be close. The goal is and should be to make sure that democrats pay a price for all their Nixon in China moments that are about to come.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Wicked Them Beats posted:

I used to deliver mail. Banning overtime basically cripples the service all on its own but if they're actually pulling out sorting equipment on top of that then it's completely and utterly hosed as a service.

I recommend hand delivering your ballot to your local election office if possible.

The yanking of sorting machines is being called a “cost saving measure.”

Jesus.

spunkshui fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Aug 12, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

MonsieurChoc posted:

Come on. He's not great. I didn't want him to be the nom. But Trump is far, far worse. If nothing else, from an Environmental point. HIs handling of Covid will be better (as in he'll try something, not this bullshit). There's a reason Bernie is supporting him. Biden is not great and long term the world is still hosed if we don't change a lot of things we won't, but we're literally bleeding out as a country from a gunshot wound to the head. Bernie would have been emergency surgery, Biden's just duck tape over the wound, but it gives us a shot of getting to better care later. Trump round 2 is a second gunshot wound.