Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

Lemniscate Blue posted:

That's true in normal times, but the perception this year is that Republican voters are less likely to be worried about voting in person due to concerns about Coronavirus and social distancing (because their trusted sources told them it's no big deal), whereas Democratic voters are more likely to decide to vote by mail to avoid potential exposure (because they take the pandemic more seriously).

Not sure how accurate the perception is but that's the thinking.

Something like 97% of votes cast in Colorado are mail-in ballots, in my county, it was close to 99%. I'm curious what it does to overall numbers, the BLM protests seemed to indicate that people will show up in spite of the pandemic, so maybe that's something to be hopeful about.
I wonder if Congress has any power to push back and save USPS? I wonder how bad mail service gets before UPS or DHL* steps up with a "plan" to "fix" our broken mail system?

* You know it's gonna be DHL, just because they have the worst drivers and software for logistics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

bengy81 posted:

You know it's gonna be DHL, just because they have the worst drivers and software for logistics.

Lasership.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

That Works posted:

The destruction of USPS before November is probably gonna influence the election outcome more than polls, Kamala, debates, etc.

Yeah, this is exactly what I'm afraid of. We're due for a rebound of covid in the fall due to kids going back to school. By November poo poo could be in full SHTF mode again with not enough ICU beds. I'm afraid that the second wave is going to be way more of a problem because of the amount or transmission going from kid to kid, to parents and grandparents.

All while we have an election, all while the piece of poo poo in chief is dismantling the Post Office, when we need mail in ballots more than ever.

How low is turnout going to be during a second wave? I'm so afraid of that.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
Hoping the protests and primaries are evidence that dem voters are motivated enough to use a mask, social distancing and ensure their votes are counted.

Using 2016 as a template for 2020 will create poor comparisons, there are a number of differences between public perception of Hillary and Biden and macro events. I am cautiously optimistic at the moment.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

A)I guess now I know why I keep hearing takes from the olds about how the postal service is garbage.

B)At this point I'll settle for anyone in office that will let the scientists and medical people take the lead on Covid and if I have to settle for Biden to get that then so be it.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
I'm just curious what's gonna happen when 10s of millions of trump supports stop receiving their physical social security and disability checks.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Arven posted:

I'm just curious what's gonna happen when 10s of millions of trump supports stop receiving their physical social security and disability checks.

Them doing anything about it would require wresting themselves out of their recliners.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

egyptian rat race posted:

I saw a very good post yesterday that of course, I forgot to save. Basically it said that voting shouldn't be viewed as marriage, it should be viewed as public transit. Just because the bus doesn't get you all the way to your destination doesn't mean you shouldn't take the one that gets you closest to where you want to go. And it doesn't make sense to just get on the bus going the opposite direction.

There's lots about this metaphor that I like, including that people in power have a history of making public transit shittier in this country. Also we are allowed to criticise the transit system even as we take it. Being passenger is not an endorsement, it may be the only option. I dunno, for some reason it clicked in my brain that I can hate on the Kamala / Biden ticket based on their record and policy all I want - it's ok to question people based on their record.

I got you,
https://twitter.com/mhdksafa/status/1292218942648451073?s=19

There was also this that I appreciated,
https://twitter.com/robdelaney/status/1293196281284878341

Naramyth posted:

29% events happen all the time. It’s just the election is a single die roll instead of hundreds.

:xcom:

Handsome Ralph fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Aug 12, 2020

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Bored As gently caress posted:

All while we have an election, all while the piece of poo poo in chief is dismantling the Post Office, when we need mail in ballots more than ever.

The saving grace is that they're such transparent, evil morons about the whole thing. Around here, a week before the election, the state yelled at everyone to quit mailing ballots and vote in person, as we're a stupid state that only counts ballots received by election day. Of course, my mother ended up blowing that deadline in her city, so she just dropped it off at a conveniently-located drop box and the Secretary of State's website showed it as received a day later.

My dad apparently hosed up and didn't sign his absentee ballot right, but it was like three weeks before the election so he had time to get the correction made.

It's a lot like this:

https://twitter.com/maggieNYT/status/1293566929668628480?s=19

Which might actually mean something, but it's so loving obvious that they're doing evil horseshit that it's leading to this:

https://twitter.com/rezaaslan/status/1293592347066789888?s=19

And the best is that Kanye can't shut his yapper about abortion, so he could plausibly pull votes from Trump.

Handsome Ralph posted:

There was also this that I appreciated,

poo poo, I was looking for that earlier. It changed my mind on some stuff - the description of activism only stopping in short periods of an election, then immediately continuing is basically why I think the hyperlibs should vote Biden, then immediately drive him left, primary the establishment, and find someone better for 2024.

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Aug 12, 2020

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Doc Hawkins posted:

An election is not an unknowable random event, it's deterministic, and unpredictable only due to limited information and time. The percentage numbers indicate the model's confidence in the outcome, based on measurements of things which in reality fully determine the result, and based on theories of how and to what degrees they determine it, making a tractable guess of what will happen possible.

538's theories were wrong and have not changed.

I think it's Trump's election to lose, but that he still might. If anyone could avoid doing the many things that could easily clinch his victory, it'd be him.

e: Biden's campaign continues to be elder abuse.

It is really funny to encounter the people who think that the 538 model implies that if elections were run over and over again the other candidate would win X% of the time. What do they think is happening to voters in that kind of world? Spontaneous neuron rewrites from the flap of a butterfly wing?

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
There's not going to be a second wave of COVID because we never got done with the first

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Hot Karl Marx posted:

november is gonna be a blast

Possibly literally!

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The Biden bus is taking me farther from where I want to be than where I am now (just not as far as the Trump bus). Since neither bus is actually helpful for me, it's probably better to start walking.

e: also really cool how disapproval over Biden's stance on serious issues like healthcare is trivialized as "sulking" like it's a child being told they can't have a toy

Fister Roboto fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Aug 12, 2020

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Political volunteering helped me realize that I could give many more votes to the people i supported than just my own. Paradoxically it made me much less interested and invested in who people will vote for. If you're a "no," then I can move on to the next person. I don't talk much about who I support off the clock, because volunteering a few hours a week for a few months means my own vote, generously, less than five percent of the votes I have contributed to.

However much you value voting for your choice, you should value prompting ten more people to vote that way ten times as much.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
I was under the impression 538s forecast was almost spot on, did this change?

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

Fister Roboto posted:

The Biden bus is taking me farther from where I want to be than where I am now (just not as far as the Trump bus). Since neither bus is actually helpful for me, it's probably better to start walking.

So does this mean you're not gonna vote or are you gonna run for office?

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

lightpole posted:

I was under the impression 538s forecast was almost spot on, did this change?

Nope, but that hasn't stopped people for using them as a scapegoat for 2016.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

not caring here posted:

So does this mean you're not gonna vote or are you gonna run for office?

It means that voting isn't the only way to get what you want.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Fister Roboto posted:

woah dude, you're like, blowing my mind with this take

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Fister Roboto posted:

I mean that Chomsky piece literally addresses that , but if you just want to tell everyone who you are or aren't voting for anytime this comes up, go hog wild I guess.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
How is not voting for Biden anything other than essentially supporting Trump? He's the only one that benefits as far as I can tell.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Mustang posted:

How is not voting for Biden anything other than essentially supporting Trump? He's the only one that benefits as far as I can tell.

No one knows. People are full of these hot takes lately. I agree that 3rd party options are needed, but we aren't there.

I keep saying I am voting for the person LEAST likely to cause WW3.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
Guess I'll throw my vote to Harambe again

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Sasquatch/Mothman would like your vote.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Saxsquatch/Mothman would like your vote.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I'm just pointing out that it's a lovely analogy :shrug:

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Mustang posted:

Because it's supporting whoever you voted for, not Trump. A vote cast for X is not a vote cast for Y.

Apathetic Medic
Apr 22, 2010

Fun Shoe
Surprising to see people who at one point had to adjust to a violent system having a difficult time understanding why people don't act against their best interests because they were told to.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

bulletsponge13 posted:

Because it's supporting whoever you voted for, not Trump. A vote cast for X is not a vote cast for Y.

He didn't say not voting for Biden is a vote for Trump, he said not voting for Biden is support for Trump.

That's unfortunately how the lovely reality in the US is. A vote cast for X benefits Y if X isn't the majority opponent of Y.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

In NZ news, we have four probable cases to go with our 4 confirmed, and another confirmed at one of the largest high schools in the country, plus a couple of the confirmed cases travelled to another city for the weekend.

We're back in the game, folks.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

We have a thread for this slapfight

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Duzzy Funlop posted:

He didn't say not voting for Biden is a vote for Trump, he said not voting for Biden is support for Trump.

That's unfortunately how the lovely reality in the US is. A vote cast for X benefits Y if X isn't the majority opponent of Y.

The general feeling is that "gently caress you, I'm not going to pick between these two bowls of poo poo, I refuse to participate". That's reasonable, but unfortunately, you're getting a bowl of poo poo whether you participate or not. The social contract is a motherfucker.

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

In NZ news, we have four probable cases to go with our 4 confirmed, and another confirmed at one of the largest high schools in the country, plus a couple of the confirmed cases travelled to another city for the weekend.

We're back in the game, folks.

One thing I've been curious about - do y'all wear any kind of masks, at all? Everything I've seen about New Zealand always includes pictures of people not wearing masks, but a lot of that was during the zero-case time. Has there been a universal mask suggestion/rule/mandate in NZ?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

It's now recommended to wear them but still not mandatory. After today I wouldn't be at all surprised if that changed though.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

shame on an IGA posted:

We have a thread for this slapfight
This poster is correct. To participate in the depths of depravity this discussion inevitably ends up in, click here to make all your wildest dreams come true.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
A lot of people feel that Biden is holding the Democratic party 'hostage' because "it's me or trump" and Biden doesn't represent their views but there's no one else to vote for.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Hot Karl Marx posted:

A lot of people feel that Biden is holding the Democratic party 'hostage' because "it's me or trump" and Biden doesn't represent their views but there's no one else to vote for.

I definitely feel this way, and picking Harris as his running mate seals it. I don't see anything that I want there, but the alternative is someone who is currently, actively taking away my right to life

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Hot Karl Marx posted:

That's exactly what's happening, but it won't bring me a great deal of comfort while I'm in the hospital dying of covid related heart failure that some people really felt the need to stand for their principals and not vote or vote for the green party or kanye or whatever, while Trump is in term 2 still screaming about hcq and appointing tucker carlson to head of the cdc.

I mean I appreciate accelerationism as a concept but be upfront about it (not directed at you Hot Karl Marx)

sharknado slashfic fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Aug 12, 2020

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Here have some good news for once,
https://twitter.com/daveweigel/status/1293659139412045824?s=20

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
That'll do.

https://twitter.com/girlsreallyrule/status/1293660954627059714

https://twitter.com/BGrueskin/status/1293661663040868354

https://twitter.com/evanmcmurry/status/1293661785849987072

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

"The reason we report on these cures is because the democrats and by extension the mainstream media doesn't want you to know about them so they can shut the country down and make this president look bad." - sean hannity tonight.