Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

sellouts posted:

has this happened in any flight simulator? there's lots of dumb and bad things about the community but surprisingly i can't recall a problem with bigotry in game

oh it's absolutely there

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CECHCZE32Pg&t=85s

(1:30)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

sellouts posted:

has this happened in any flight simulator? there's lots of dumb and bad things about the community but surprisingly i can't recall a problem with bigotry in game

If we're talking about flight simming in general, here's a fun post detailing the poo poo pulled by just a single DCS group: https://www.reddit.com/r/hoggit/comments/i4qcig/a_running_total_of_all_the_crap_the_grim_reapers/

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

I knew who this was going to be about before I even clicked on it.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

my fault, i don't touch combat sims so i didn't even think about that. i meant civvie no weapons fly around and look at poo poo flight sims

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
Love to join a public server hoping to have some friendly dogfights and instead get spawnkilled 10 times in a row by a guy named [SS]ErichHartmann88

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
"The Grim Reapers"?

Are these guys in middle school or something

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

No, they're just desperately uncreative and can only ape real-world squadrons

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VFA-101

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

drat, I watched a ton of their stuff lately and only noticed a weirdly placed 'and that's why I would have voted Thatcher'. The recent interview with ED they did was all 'nudge nudge can't talk about it but we've been contracted to provide sim training to real militaries' ... which I guess makes sense.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

The main thing I noticed about their videos is how little "cap" knows what he's doing

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
I had no idea about their larger scandals, but there were enough weird little edgelord comments and gendered insults and stuff to get a general sense of foreboding. They have that (not unlike old SA) glee about being un-PC.

And yeah, the head guy doesn't know how anything works.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

BMan posted:

The main thing I noticed about their videos is how little "cap" knows what he's doing

They're loving useless and their tutorials are just 'cap' asking someone over chat how something works and then getting it wrong. They also push out a million videos a day so they get a ton of views.

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
when i search youtube for dcs videos "dcs -grim"

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

I had no idea those guys were so gross. I didn't mind watching their stuff from time to time. Thanks for the heads up, I'm going to unsub from their YT channel right now.

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
i mean their poo poo also suck from a qualitative perspective

SaltPig
Jun 21, 2004

Youtube random fed me one of the grim reapers videos, which got me into DCS so IDK. His tutorials are poo poo compared to RedKite or Mudspike, but their content is pretty entertaining.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Gender fluidityyyyyyyyyy!!!! :argh:

What a lovely person.

UnknownTarget
Sep 5, 2019

Oh ha ha look how cool this flight sim nerd is, those sjw's are so dumb and he is someone I totally take seriously!

The fact that he's a mil-sim moron is icing on the cake.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

he plays airsoft

V for Vegans
Jan 30, 2009
You guys were right again. I watched a DCS video last night and now my YouTube homepage is all reaper videos. I hadn’t even watched a reaper video in the first place, they’re just the entirety of DCS on YouTube.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
I use the BlockTube addon in Chrome to filter any Grim Reapers vids from coming up.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Just remove the video from your watch history and it will stop recommending them

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

They come up when you search for just about anything DCS-related though.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Monstertech sells these for starting at $100. If you're mechanically inclined though, you can bang these together out of parts for about half that. Just need some Bessey clamps, some 80/20 extrusion and associated fasteners, and a bit of aluminum plate. Did that myself, and saved quite a bit to build two HOTAS mounts for stick and throttle.

My problem is sourcing the clamps. There are some photography clamps that look promised, but I'm looking for something that would work with V-track, like the Monstertech ones.

Anyone know where to get the clamps from?

Also, favourite ways of stopping your office chair rolling away from rudder pedals?

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Hav posted:

My problem is sourcing the clamps. There are some photography clamps that look promised, but I'm looking for something that would work with V-track, like the Monstertech ones.

Anyone know where to get the clamps from?

Also, favourite ways of stopping your office chair rolling away from rudder pedals?

https://smile.amazon.com/TING-Holding-Capacity-Toggle-Quick-Release/dp/B06Y2NPC2D

https://smile.amazon.com/Bessey-STC-IHH25-Horizontal-Auto-Adjust-Clamping/dp/B0057PUFMG

https://smile.amazon.com/TING-Toggle-Antislip-Horizontal-Release/dp/B01BR75WFW

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
What flight sims need is a single player "career" mode with a Truck Simulator style progression system / economy.

Start out flying for a company using their planes. Earn enough to buy your own plane and do community announcement board jobs or whatever. Eventually buy multiple planes and start a company where you hire pilots to fly for you while you keep on flying. Add upkeep costs like fuel, airplane maintenance, and insurance to add "stakes" to the game. Branch out your company with different divisions! One for flying cargo, one for flying people, anything!

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Aug 12, 2020

Arsonide
Oct 18, 2007

You're breaking my balls here

GreatGreen posted:

What flight sims need is a single player "career" mode with a Truck Simulator style progression system / economy.

Start out flying for a company using their planes. Earn enough to buy your own plane and do community announcement board jobs or whatever. Eventually buy multiple planes and start a company where you hire pilots to fly for you while you keep on flying. Add upkeep costs like fuel, airplane maintenance, and insurance to add "stakes" to the game. Branch out your company with different divisions! One for flying cargo, one for flying people, anything!

Look up FS Economy, Air Hauler 2, etc. These exist and are called VAs or virtual airlines.

aunt jenkins
Jan 12, 2001

Yeah, literally all of that exists and it owns.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dumb question probably, but what’s like the fastest plane that’ll be available at launch?

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

I think its the 787 Dreamliner?

But this answer varies if you mean "illusion" of speed or quickest - because you'll definitely feel zippier in an acrobatic plane at 1000ft than you will at 40000ft doing 0.85 mach.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Was it FS2000 that had the Concord?

I remember flying it a few times and not being impressed because it didn't feel fast that high up.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Taintrunner posted:

Dumb question probably, but what’s like the fastest plane that’ll be available at launch?

The 747 and 787 both cruise at around Mach 0.85. What airspeed that translates to varies with temperature but at 35,000 feet that's around 500 knots (575 mph). As noted, an airliner at cruise doesn't feel fast at all.

Probably the fastest-feeling airplane is the TBM 930, with a powerful turboprop engine in a small airframe.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Taintrunner posted:

where you goin in such a hurry?

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

sellouts posted:

where you goin in such a hurry?

Uh, have you seen the state of coronavirus in the USA right now?

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Take the bush planes, organize a rally through NYC

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The Extra 330LT looks like a fun plane if what you want to do is buzz your house at 200+ mph.

edit: A max cruise speed of 205kn/235mph, definitely puts it as the fastest single engine piston prop plane in the game. It's a zippy little thing.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Aug 12, 2020

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I would be totally up to try some bushplane flying when this poo poo drops next week. Targeting South East/Kootenay area of British Columbia if anyone wants to try it out with me.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

What is the multiplayer like? I'd love it if there were groups similar to Elite: Dangerous so if we have a Goon group we would see are currently flying and where. But I assume it's only dedicated sessions where you have to create a flight and join?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Zero One posted:

Was it FS2000 that had the Concord?

I remember flying it a few times and not being impressed because it didn't feel fast that high up.

It's a pity that accurately modelling supersonic in MSFS, with all the weirdness it produces in the air model and shocks, would probably require too much development for such an edge case to ever be done.

(I'd guess that the ability to do that kind of proper modelling of it would have to be inserted by the actual Dev team, I expect that third parties would only be able to fake it superficially.)

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Aug 12, 2020

V for Vegans
Jan 30, 2009
I remember breaking the sound barrier in a few jets in FSX but I think they were all third party (my friend gave me a CD-Rom with a bunch of fighter jets and such) but I never thought to consider if the game itself handled the sound barrier breaking or if it was part of the plane add on I was playing. Are there other things that act differently at mach speeds?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The entire atmospherics model would have to behave differently relative to the plane once you get into mach speeds if they wanted to do it properly and simulate the atmosphere's interaction with the plane the way they do in MSFS.

(In theory if they did the atmosphere sim on a low enough level it could happen emergently without special coding, but I don't think they've done it quite that low)

In real life flight nothing changed noticeably because supersonic service is just go-in-a-straight-line, but in a sim let's be honest we're gonna do stupid turns and stuff and I want my flips to be accurate.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Aug 12, 2020