Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
I bought a new mountain bike last week. Posted it in the show us your bike thread but wanted to ride it a bit before it went here. 4 rides is enough, right?

Kona Hei Hei CR. The 2021s are on the website but it'll be awhile before you can actually get one, so I don't feel bad about having the 2020.

I've been riding my Kona King Kahuna carbon hardtail xc bike for 7 years now. 10k miles, 1.3 million vertical feet. A lot of mountain tops and my first race and a few podiums and wins. My best result ever was winning a 50mi backcountry race overall last year, but 3rd at the state championship 2 years ago in cat 1 with actual pros in the field was pretty cool too.

Anyway, I've been due for a new mtb for awhile now, and still wanted something XC-ish but full suspension with a dropper and more modern geo. I figured even a 130mm bike would be ok and I could still race the hardtail. So scalpel, scalpel SE, Habit, orbea oiz were some considerations but I was kind of set on a Hei Hei even before the new one came out. With the 2020 update going to 120/120mm I figured that yeah this is the one.

It got here last Wednesday and was ready to ride Thursday. I coach nica that day and our practice was over on the part of town with the rougher, steeper, and rockier trails. Initial impression is- wow, so this is what it's like to actually go fast downhill instead of just feeling like you're going fast. Very, very different having more travel, a dropper, a much longer bike, and a 67.5 degree hta instead of 71.

Going uphill, I was worried about that extra length and slacker headtube but it works just fine and stays straight and goes around all the tightest switchbacks no problem. Pedaling out of the saddle even in trail mode is ok although I generally have been fully locking it out. Then it feels a lot like my old bike.

It does weigh a little more, but I could fix that by spending more money and changing a few parts, which I'm already thinking of doing anyway. I was actually considering the fancy xx1 version of this bike but this was the only one they had, and I got a fairly good deal so buying, say, some xtr brakes, shifter, RD, cassette, and a new freehub body is a current thought and would still cost less than getting the nicer complete bike. The guide Rs definitely seem lacking but maybe after shortening the hoses and bleeding the brakes that will improve. GX eagle is also not that impressive to me and seems worse than the 11 speed GX I have on the hardtail.

e- brake lines shortened and bled today, now they work good.

jamal fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Aug 14, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Single pivot? Sup with that?

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

jamal posted:

Going uphill, I was worried about that extra length and slacker headtube but it works just fine and stays straight and goes around all the tightest switchbacks no problem. Pedaling out of the saddle even in trail mode is ok although I generally have been fully locking it out. Then it feels a lot like my old bike.

It does weigh a little more, but I could fix that by spending more money and changing a few parts, which I'm already thinking of doing anyway. I was actually considering the fancy xx1 version of this bike but this was the only one they had, and I got a fairly good deal so buying, say, some xtr brakes, shifter, RD, cassette, and a new freehub body is a current thought. The guide Rs definitely seem lacking but maybe after shortening the hoses and bleeding the brakes that will improve. GX eagle is also not that impressive to me and seems worse than the 11 speed GX I have on the hardtail.

Cool cool new bike!

When I first got a FS I would lock out the rear but I realized that it was pointless. I just ride it open all the time now.

I agree that the Guide R's are not that great. I probably will not change mine because they work but maybe I should, we will see. I do think GX Eagle is pretty solid but I haven't tried Shimano's equivalent.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

If I get black mold in my hydration bag is it a goner? Its an osprey 85 oz bag if that makes a difference.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

You're the goner. Sorry

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

You should be rinsing/cleaning it regularly in the future if you haven't been. If you haven't washed it you could at least try. Probably not good though.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

n8r posted:

What's the leverage ratio curve, tho?

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
Thanks for reminding me that I ran out of bleach and need to buy more

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

You can use denture cleaning tablets in those water packs to keep them cleanish.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

also if you're not using it for a long time, just throw it in the freezer.

cool bike jamal! It is, however, dying for wacky colors.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Bad News: :saddowns:
Racmmer communication sucks, at the rate it was going of one message a day this wasn’t going to happen for a long time.

Good News: :downs:
I dug through ali express and found another vendor that has really similar looking jerseys with the nicer arm cuffs and fabric. Their sizing charts are the same as well.

Better News: :haw:
They also have bibs and hats.

Even Betterer News: :madmax:
Orders are open. :w00t:

So here is how this will go down, I have to make one large order and and have it shipped to me, I will then ship out the kits to everyone.
Final cost should be around $35-65 shipped depending on what your order.
I will ship with priority flat rate envelopes, shipping cost will be a bit more if you are outside of the US.

Kit and hat prices are here:
DO NOT ORDER FROM HERE THIS IS SO YOU CAN SEE THE PRICES ONLY
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32492346631.html
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001110300703.html
DO NOT ORDER FROM HERE THIS IS SO YOU CAN SEE THE PRICES ONLY

Fill out this form for what you’d like to order: :homebrew:
https://forms.gle/VaPigc3e7Sar31FKA
Don’t pay attention to the weights on the sizing chart, they’re hilariously wrong (ex: I am 6’ 84kg and wear a large)
If in doubt, order a size up from your normal US size and accept that it may be more of a club fit

Just fill it out more than once if you want more than one set.
I will contact everyone that orders via email with a total price and my paypal or venmo as orders are submitted via the google form.

:choco:!!!ORDERS CLOSE OUT AND PAYPAL/VENMO MUST BE RECEIVED AT MIDNIGHT ZULU TIME ON THE 25TH!!!:choco:
(afternoon of the 24th for USA time zones).

I will be placing the order with Barton the following morning, so make sure payment is to me before then.

Disclaimer: The images below are just preview images, these are china kits and I assume no responsibility for their printing quality and potential asian sizing quirks, if you have ordered china kits before you should know what you’re getting in to, while they’re good most of the time I cannot guarantee they will be 100% of the time, this is a lot of words to basically say no refunds unless something is grotesquely wrong
If you want to spend 4-5x as much I’d be happy to link you to my jakroo team store (where I made these designs)

e.pilot fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Aug 12, 2020

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
I have a line on a free ardent, currently running a minion ss. I like the cornering grip of the ss, but the traction is pretty poor. Thoughts?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

kimbo305 posted:

Would anyone be interested if there were women's cuts options? I can volunteer to try to set up a similar group order if 1) there's interest 2) I can get an Aliexpress vendor to do the women's custom design.

Not sure if anyone in this thread wants a roadie women's cut jersey. No idea if a regular men's jersey of some size would have the looseness of an MTB jersey.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

e.pilot posted:

Trash pandas

I've never not worn baggies but these are hilarious so I'm interested. Any idea what size shorts you'd go with? Sounds like we're similar in size.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Suburban Dad posted:

I've never not worn baggies but these are hilarious so I'm interested. Any idea what size shorts you'd go with? Sounds like we're similar in size.

I’m 6’ 85kg and wear a large in china kit, XL fits well too but it’s a little loose

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

First go with Maxxis tires (Ikon 2.6), feel pretty good so far.

pinarello dogman
Jun 17, 2013

n8r posted:

The kinematics are worked out well enough these days that you can achieve whatever antisquat you want with more or less any suspension design. So tons of new stuff is single pivot (e.g. new Meta).

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009
Today was my first trail ride since I got vertigo 4 weeks ago. It was very frustrating not being able to really trust my sense of balance. It was super cool being back on trails though.

Setec_Astronomy
Mar 10, 2003

there's nothing wrong with you that an expensive operation can't prolong

Coredump posted:

If I get black mold in my hydration bag is it a goner? Its an osprey 85 oz bag if that makes a difference.

Toss it and get one of the blue Camelbak bladders. I haven't washed mine in 8 years and constantly leave it sitting full of water for multiple weeks and it has never gotten the least bit funky. Before getting one I used to have similar issues with algae and mold.

freddiestarfish
Dec 4, 2005
I LIKE RABBITS

Bottom Liner posted:

First go with Maxxis tires (Ikon 2.6), feel pretty good so far.

I want this bike. What is it and how many limbs will I have to sell to afford it?

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

spwrozek posted:

When I first got a FS I would lock out the rear but I realized that it was pointless. I just ride it open all the time now.

Yeah I stopped using my lockout mainly because without fail every time I would forget to unlock it for the descents.

Suburban Dad posted:

also if you're not using it for a long time, just throw it in the freezer.

cool bike jamal! It is, however, dying for wacky colors.

I chuck mine in the freezer after every ride because I'm lazy and it's easier than cleaning it out tbh. Seems to work so far!

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

freddiestarfish posted:

I want this bike. What is it and how many limbs will I have to sell to afford it?

Bearclaw Beaux Jaxon.

https://bearclawbicycleco.com/beaux-jaxon-titanium-gravel-plus-bike/

Half a limb to several?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Anyone have a 12x150mm, shimano 8/9/10 freehub DH wheel or hub they want to sell a nice goon?

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

Meet frustration face to face
A point of view creates more waves
So lose some sleep and say you tried

n8r posted:

I have a line on a free ardent, currently running a minion ss. I like the cornering grip of the ss, but the traction is pretty poor. Thoughts?

Ardent has terrible cornering characteristics, in my experience.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people
I switched from ardents to knoby nics and thought it was an improvement, and I dont think the knoby nics are that good. If that means anything to you.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
If you like cornering of an SS but want grip try a Dissector or a DHR.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
What's wrong with a dhf and dhr/aggressor? Always been my go to.

paberu
Jun 23, 2013

I recently moved to SoCal and all the trails around me got me wanting to try out mountain biking.

I've been trying to figure out what I should get but I'm still pretty confused on what I should be looking for. I want to ride trails around Orange County, but probably sticking to more smoother flowing trails and less on the jumps/rock stuff. From what I've been able to gather is I should look for a hard tail/all mountain/trail bike? Should I be looking at 27.5" sized bikes if I'm 5'6?

My budget is around $1500 - $2000 max. Is there anything particular I should look at? Something like the Kona Honzo?

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Wheel size won't have much to do with your height. You want to get a frame that is the right size. You probably want a hard tail or even just a rigid bike if you're not going over rocks and roots and stuff. Ton of people have a Journeyman and love it.

paberu
Jun 23, 2013

Ah, I thought the size of 27.5 would mean it's easier to make a smaller sized frame.

Are you talking about Salsa Journeyman? I think I want something that is fun on trails rather than a gravel bike. I've done some trails on a surly straggler before with 650b tires and it wasn't that fun since it was pretty jarring on anything that wasn't somewhat level, that and it it's not really manoeuvrable on anything narrow and windy.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
At 5'6" you'll probably be fine on a 29er. Some people that are shorter do feel more comfortable on 27.5 bikes and the frames look a little bit better IMO in those smaller sizes. Try before you buy if you can.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Yeah honzos are cool and you might even be able to find a new one in a shop right now. We just got like 5.

Also since you mention the journeyman, the new Roves are also out there.

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

vikingstrike posted:

At 5'6" you'll probably be fine on a 29er. Some people that are shorter do feel more comfortable on 27.5 bikes and the frames look a little bit better IMO in those smaller sizes. Try before you buy if you can.

Also there are some manufacturers who will have the same model bike with 27.5 wheels in sizes S and M and 29ers in sizes L and XL or something like that.

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009
Yeah, seconding Honzo. I have the Big Honzo dl, and supposedly you can switch between 27.5's and 29ers.

Itss a pretty fun ride, the geometry makes it a good climber (sometimes you pedal strike on technical/rocky uphills), and honestly, when I ride descents on it, it feels almost like an overgrown dirt jumper (shorter chainstay helps with that, imo its pretty flickable). It comes with middle of the road extras out of the box, but everything is fairly easily upgraded.

h3r0n
Dec 22, 2005

meowmeowmeowmeow posted:

What's wrong with a dhf and dhr/aggressor? Always been my go to.

Im similar to this DHR II up front / Rekon in back. I'm pretty happy with that although the Rekon gets torn up *somewhat* quickly.

Pedal chat:

I switched from Black Kats to Chesters. I want to think the slightly smaller Chesters and the composite material will be a bit more forgiving when pedal striking.

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

The Curse of the Flying Criosphinx
I rode flats in the spring and was really happy with the OneUp composites. Same price as the Chesters.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
I don't like the stamps, the lack of pins in the middle close to the crank makes them feel weird and like my feet are rolling inwards.

rngd in the womb
Oct 13, 2009

Yam Slacker

paberu posted:

I recently moved to SoCal and all the trails around me got me wanting to try out mountain biking.

I've been trying to figure out what I should get but I'm still pretty confused on what I should be looking for. I want to ride trails around Orange County, but probably sticking to more smoother flowing trails and less on the jumps/rock stuff. From what I've been able to gather is I should look for a hard tail/all mountain/trail bike? Should I be looking at 27.5" sized bikes if I'm 5'6?

My budget is around $1500 - $2000 max. Is there anything particular I should look at? Something like the Kona Honzo?

Yeah, I snap bought a 2020 Kona Big Honzo DL off of ebay with a goon's help and I've loved it on the trails around here in Socal. I haven't tried any trail system in the OC but it feels like an extremely capable bike in the foothills and at Bonelli.

I'm 5'7" and I ride a medium instead of a small since the consensus seems to be size up for stability, size down for speed and I'm just not good enough to handle smaller bikes with less travel rn. It might feel pretty big for you though. And my current wheel/tire setup is 29", 2.5 in front, 2.4 in back, and the bike just rolls over everything in sight IME. I'm probably gonna go as wide as possible when I wear out these tires.

Fakeedit: Maybe Canyon still has the Neuron AL in their online store? It was the other bike I was thinking about. It's pretty nice.

rngd in the womb fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Aug 14, 2020

h3r0n
Dec 22, 2005

Bud Manstrong posted:

I rode flats in the spring and was really happy with the OneUp composites. Same price as the Chesters.

I'm really liking them so far but I haven't really hit anything yet with them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

h3r0n posted:

I'm really liking them so far but I haven't really hit anything yet with them.

I mostly ride fixed gear, so, as I've been riding more mtb this year, I sorta have to remind myself NOT to try and pedal through everything. I've struck my Chromag Synths a whole poo poo ton of times already and you couldn't tell from looking at 'em