Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Star Wars Squadrons comes out pretty soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sneeze Party
Apr 26, 2002

These are, by far, the most brilliant photographs that I have ever seen, and you are a GOD AMONG MEN.
Toilet Rascal
Elite Dangerous does VR good. Not a flight sim, exactly, but it's close. IL-2 has pretty decent VR, but I had a problem where my POV started essentially at the plane's tail. It wasn't that hard to fix. Kinda.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
X plane is pretty good in VR. Has its menus in VR, you have the ability to use VR virtual controls or your standard controls with a yoke/pedals/stick/game pad/mouse/keyboard and it has acceptable performance. It’s not developed for VR first, but its VR mode is much better integrated than many driving sims like Assetto Corsa or iRacing.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

veni veni veni posted:

Star Wars Squadrons comes out pretty soon.

Yeah this is gonna be the poo poo. There's no 3rd person views, even for people in flatscreen. There's no hud, everything is designed for you to play it using only the instruments on your starship dashboard.

X-WING VR in high def? Fuuuuuuck yes. I can't wait.

Brownie posted:

I tried playing War Thunder VR on my Index last night and it was pretty awful. The UI is oriented in the wrong direction and is absolutely _massive_, requiring you to crane your neck up and down and left and right just to navigate the options menu. Once I got in the game my head was inside the plane's fuselage, rather than the cockpit, I have no idea why.

Once I adjusted my position I just ended up getting pretty severe nausea within 10 minutes, but I think that's more my problem (hard to avoid rolling when you're in a dog fight). I ended up just playing on my flat screen and it was a lot more enjoyable, even if it felt ridiculous to not be able to look around freely.

Are there any flight sims that treat VR as a first class citizen (other than VTOL VR and Ultrawings)? I might try Ultrawings again and just turn off the controller haptics that cause it to totally flip out.

It actually plays really well now? This feels like you didn't have the latest patches or something wasn't working right. Warthunder is one of the better VR games you can play, and since its free, its great.

There's a bit to learn but... yeah IDK.

Gabby_Jay posted:

Sucks that Ace Combat 7's VR missions aren't on PC.

Agreed. I want that pretty bad.

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation

Zaphod42 posted:

It actually plays really well now? This feels like you didn't have the latest patches or something wasn't working right. Warthunder is one of the better VR games you can play, and since its free, its great.

There's a bit to learn but... yeah IDK.

I downloaded it right before playing it, and it did update (in their launcher thingy), so I'm not really sure what to say. The game is fun, but the VR implementation made me start sweating before I was even sitting in a cockpit. Apparently there's a separate "reset view" button in War Thunder, so that probably would've helped to know. I don't understand why it seems to ignore the starting position and orientation that I've set up in SteamVR's setup, but maybe with the reset my view would've been more reasonable. I'm also pretty sure it ignores the graphics options in the SteamVR overlay, since changing the resolution settings seemed to make no difference.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Zaphod42 posted:

There's no hud, everything is designed for you to play it using only the instruments on your starship dashboard.

Correction. There IS a HUD but I believe you can disable/hide all of it and play entirely off the ship’s instrumentation.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Hey my buddy is getting a Rift S soon but it's just for a month and he has glasses. Are there any software options that help with that or would he need replacement lenses from VR Optician? They might not even arrive before the month is up and I want to help them have a comfortable experience.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Kikas posted:

Hey my buddy is getting a Rift S soon but it's just for a month and he has glasses. Are there any software options that help with that or would he need replacement lenses from VR Optician? They might not even arrive before the month is up and I want to help them have a comfortable experience.

It depends on your glasses, my glasses fit fine in a Rift S, but I've seen a good amount of people say that their glasses touched the lenses and started scuffing it as well. You can do something like put in a few nerf darts to make sure that the glasses don't make contact with the lenses, like this, if you're concerned:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Brownie posted:

I downloaded it right before playing it, and it did update (in their launcher thingy), so I'm not really sure what to say. The game is fun, but the VR implementation made me start sweating before I was even sitting in a cockpit. Apparently there's a separate "reset view" button in War Thunder, so that probably would've helped to know. I don't understand why it seems to ignore the starting position and orientation that I've set up in SteamVR's setup, but maybe with the reset my view would've been more reasonable. I'm also pretty sure it ignores the graphics options in the SteamVR overlay, since changing the resolution settings seemed to make no difference.

Oh you're running it through Steam? Yeah I don't even do that. I use the standalone launcher. Usually games like Elite and MMOs and stuff that exist outside steam but then also exist in steam, the steam version usually works less well. And that's probably why your steam vr overlay settings aren't being used. Just go to the website and download the game there. Its free.

But.... yeah. I don't mean to be rude but this comes across to me like the guy saying "payday 2 sucks in VR!" after trying it for 5 minutes, and I'm over here with like 100 hours of Payday VR and its one of the most incredible VR games IMO, and ... uh...

Like, lots of VR games require fiddling and figuring out things. If you only want super polished games, I can get that, and we're getting to where there are more polished VR games. But a lot of VR is still very bleeding edge and requires you to know how to work with your equipment. WarThunder works really well if you put in the 10 minutes to figure it out.

I guess we just have different expectations of VR but to me being surprised a game doesn't use SteamVR seated position or whatever is like, who cares? Of course you're gonna bind a key to reset position that's a given... but I guess if you don't do sim racing or things like that you have a different perspective.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Aug 12, 2020

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

GutBomb posted:

X plane is pretty good in VR. Has its menus in VR, you have the ability to use VR virtual controls or your standard controls with a yoke/pedals/stick/game pad/mouse/keyboard and it has acceptable performance. It’s not developed for VR first, but its VR mode is much better integrated than many driving sims like Assetto Corsa or iRacing.

I'll add to this, you'll want to enter the beta branch and enable the Vulkan renderer. X-Plane runs like dogshit in general (the creator believes that if it runs beyond 25fps, then you're just wasting performance :psyduck: ), but the Vulkan render roughly doubled its performance for me. That still means "turn down all the settings to keep at least 45fps most of the time'ish", but that's better than the older, shittier renderer. Flight sims are impossible.

Anyway, I hope Microsoft knocks it out of the park with Flight Sim 2020's upcoming VR support. The game looks BEAUTIFUL on flatscreen, and if it runs acceptably in VR then X-Plane can loving gently caress right the gently caress off.

Shine fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Aug 12, 2020

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation

Zaphod42 posted:

Oh you're running it through Steam? Yeah I don't even do that. I use the standalone launcher. Usually games like Elite and MMOs and stuff that exist outside steam but then also exist in steam, the steam version usually works less well. And that's probably why your steam vr overlay settings aren't being used. Just go to the website and download the game there. Its free.

But.... yeah. I don't mean to be rude but this comes across to me like the guy saying "payday 2 sucks in VR!" after trying it for 5 minutes, and I'm over here with like 100 hours of Payday VR and its one of the most incredible VR games IMO, and ... uh...

Like, lots of VR games require fiddling and figuring out things. If you only want super polished games, I can get that, and we're getting to where there are more polished VR games. But a lot of VR is still very bleeding edge and requires you to know how to work with your equipment. WarThunder works really well if you put in the 10 minutes to figure it out.

I guess we just have different expectations of VR but to me being surprised a game doesn't use SteamVR seated position or whatever is like, who cares? Of course you're gonna bind a key to reset position that's a given... but I guess if you don't do sim racing or things like that you have a different perspective.

SteamVR is started when using my headset in any way, including playing games not downloaded through Steam.

I admit that I may have had the wrong expectations, since as you say, I'm haven't tried playing driving or flight sims in VR before this. However, I've played other games that aren't "VR first" like House of the Dying Sun and Thumper which respected my orientation and position setup, and provided clear prompts for how to reset my view, which war thunder did not. I think War Thunder might be a very fun game and might even work great in VR once you've got the setup figured out, but I was just sharing my negative initial impressions.

I think it's okay to criticize games that don't do even the most basic things to reduce friction in VR -- like showing a prompt for how to reset the view (rather than relying on people to look it up online, I guess? The in-game menus were totally unusable for me). I understand you have different expectations, but I don't see why you'd be so dismissive of such an obviously negative experience.

The amount of time I could spend fiddling with it in-game was limited by how nauseous I was getting from using the menus.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
I'm really sick of games saying they support the Index but they don't have the knuckles mapped/modeled.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Brownie posted:

I admit that I may have had the wrong expectations, since as you say, I'm haven't tried playing driving or flight sims in VR before this. However, I've played other games that aren't "VR first" like House of the Dying Sun and Thumper which respected my orientation and position setup, and provided clear prompts for how to reset my view, which war thunder did not. I think War Thunder might be a very fun game and might even work great in VR once you've got the setup figured out, but I was just sharing my negative initial impressions.

I think it's okay to criticize games that don't do even the most basic things to reduce friction in VR -- like showing a prompt for how to reset the view (rather than relying on people to look it up online, I guess? The in-game menus were totally unusable for me). I understand you have different expectations, but I don't see why you'd be so dismissive of such an obviously negative experience.

War Thunder's VR is an afterthought they tacked on. Get through the jank, and the actual cockpit experience works very well (and War Thunder actually runs well on midrange hardware, which is uncommon for flight sims), but yeah, they added it one day and have ignored it since, though it still works. The HotDS dev specifically targeted the VR market, even though it's also a flatscreen game, so yeah, much more user friendly.

One quirk with War Thunder is that the UI scales to the desktop resolution of the game, which includes both the main menu and the in-game stuff (the speed/altitude poo poo in the upper left, the chat window, etc.). Playing on Index, the UI feels best for me if I have the game window resolution at 1280x1024. If you feel like the UI is way too big or small, then mess with the in-game resolution (it won't affect the VR resolution) until it fits better.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Brownie posted:

SteamVR is started when using my headset in any way, including playing games not downloaded through Steam.

The amount of time I could spend fiddling with it in-game was limited by how nauseous I was getting from using the menus.

I have to reset my position in roughly 70% of the games I have played, including Alyx the first time I launched it.

come to think of it, it seems like its only steam games. oculus games get my location right most of the time, so I'm going to hazard a guess that the SteamVR API is doing something funky when it hands off your initial location data to the game

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

It seems like steam VR recognizes your play area boundaries but is less intuitive of your exact position as the Oculus app. The only thing I've really had to gently caress around with was Elite though. Everything else just boiled down to messing with a few in game settings.

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation

Shine posted:

One quirk with War Thunder is that the UI scales to the desktop resolution of the game, which includes both the main menu and the in-game stuff (the speed/altitude poo poo in the upper left, the chat window, etc.). Playing on Index, the UI feels best for me if I have the game window resolution at 1280x1024. If you feel like the UI is way too big or small, then mess with the in-game resolution (it won't affect the VR resolution) until it fits better.

Oh this is useful! Thank you, I’ll give that a try.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Brownie posted:

Oh yeah you definitely do want to be using SteamVR, so if you're launching it standalone then you're good. But I think WarThunder IS one of those games like Elite which exists outside of Steam first and then inside Steam second, but in a weirdly locked down way that doesn't help things.

I mean, its definitely fair to criticize. I just think you gotta take things in perspective, and if you aren't willing to spend 10 minutes fiddling with VR then 90% of the VR library that exists is inaccessible to you. You can wait around for more polished games to come along, but most of us are willing to suffer those 10 minutes. I'm used to having to modify .ini or .cfg files outside of games to get the VR to actually perform right and look right and have a comfortable UI. Skyrim and Fallout require dozens of mods, lol.

The menus used to be waaaaaay worse when they first started supporting it, but even then it never made me nauseous it was just a pain in the butt to work with. But now its way better.

Anyways, you do you.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Kikas posted:

be really careful with this, i scratched my lenses as well after playing with glasses like twice. I want max FOV so I put the headset as close to my face as possible. Fortunately that plastic scratch remover stuff worked perfectly and now I only wear it while wearing contacts.

Happyimp
Sep 26, 2007

I exist I guess.
Yay! I forgot to check the beta options in the jet island properties, and you can revert it back to the clean look. Thanks Master indie for not George Lucasing the old version.

Sneeze Party
Apr 26, 2002

These are, by far, the most brilliant photographs that I have ever seen, and you are a GOD AMONG MEN.
Toilet Rascal
All you glasses people should get a set of contact lenses for VR.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Sneeze Party posted:

All you glasses people should get a set of contact lenses for VR.

Or VR Optician lenses, since contacts are weird and scary.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
I got lasik instead. Purely for VR, obviously

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
I don't want to touch my eyeballs, and I definitely don't want them sliced open by some surgeon while I watch helplessly, so VR Optician it is.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Contacts are great for real life living, glasses are great for sitting at home and staring my dumbass into a screen. Glasses in VR suck for the potential damage to the VR lenses but for me too the focus can get hosed if my glasses are being manipulated by the headset fit. I can wear contacts in VR too but then my eyes tend to get dryer than they would normally probably because I don't blink as often.

Any prescription lenses that you can install on your headset are so far ahead of wearing your glasses or contacts in VR that I'd suggest it should be a requirement that someone should take into consideration if they wear glasses and want to get into VR. For me and my wife it's vital to our enjoyment of VR to have prescription lenses in our headsets.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Thoom posted:

I don't want to touch my eyeballs, and I definitely don't want them sliced open by some surgeon while I watch helplessly, so VR Optician it is.

I went into LASIK thinking the same thing, but it's really not that bad. Computers do most of the work and the doctor only applies the drops, grabs the flaps and make sure everything goes as loving smoothly as possible. I went into it with sweaty palms and it was almost like nothing happened. The worst part is the smell of the parts of your eye they burn off (it smells like burning hair). After that you heal up fast as poo poo and the next day you're good enough to drive. You just have to avoid rubbing your eyes for a while (I was super worried so I didn't rub my eyes for like a month+).

All that said, I'm glad as loving poo poo I don't have to wear glasses for VR or any part of my life anymore. It was such a life changer.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
Getting grabbed by the meatflaps of your eyes to own the libs 2d gamers is extremely 2020

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

I wish I could get lenses instead of having to wear contacts, but my wife likes to hop into VR for a game of Gorn so she can show me what a complete loving psychopath she is and we obviously don't share a prescription.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Lemming posted:

It depends on your glasses, my glasses fit fine in a Rift S, but I've seen a good amount of people say that their glasses touched the lenses and started scuffing it as well. You can do something like put in a few nerf darts to make sure that the glasses don't make contact with the lenses, like this, if you're concerned:

That’s actually a really good idea that I might have to steal

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
I've started that SA Goon VR Spreadsheet I promised 5 pages ago.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1n4FuVn6ZbGa0QQo81er3Pr3CWbTnn0br6sCBu0BYihI/edit?usp=sharing

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

On Terra Firma posted:

I wish I could get lenses instead of having to wear contacts, but my wife likes to hop into VR for a game of Gorn so she can show me what a complete loving psychopath she is and we obviously don't share a prescription.

The VR Optician lenses take seconds to install or remove. They're fitted into a cap mount that slips right over the OEM lenses. My wife and I have no problem swapping between our respective lenses.

by.a.teammate
Jun 27, 2007
theres nothing wrong with the word panties

Bhodi posted:

be really careful with this, i scratched my lenses as well after playing with glasses like twice. I want max FOV so I put the headset as close to my face as possible. Fortunately that plastic scratch remover stuff worked perfectly and now I only wear it while wearing contacts.

I got some nasty scuffs from my glasses, what did you use to repair the lenses?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Bad Munki posted:

Try Space Engine if you just wanna explore space as a disembodied awareness that can travel half a billion light years per second or expand to make the sun a healthy watermelon or further to make the Bootes void the size of your head.

I get freaked out going beyond the edge.

I'm not really a pot smoker but this is the only game/thing that's ever made me want drink a pot of coffee and puff on a great big cigar sized Doobie all night

It's great

Happyimp
Sep 26, 2007

I exist I guess.

Thoatse posted:

Getting grabbed by the meatflaps of your eyes to own the libs 2d gamers is extremely 2020

Yeah, it's crazy that vr makes some people better themselves. I don't really like sitting down to play games anymore. If there isn't some type of physical element to a game, it feels boring. It's hard to be a potato boy gamer nowadays.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

by.a.teammate posted:

I got some nasty scuffs from my glasses, what did you use to repair the lenses?

as far as I know, you can't homie. Imperfections that close to your eyeball are hard to cover up

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

... aaand also go away and don't come back
I had a dream that World of Horror was updated to work in VR with the flat stats screen still there and the main window area becoming an actual window with depth so you could see the monsters undulating and poo poo, then a monster based off the Fashion Model could climb through it.

Anyway the main point of this: has anybody had any experience with the Supernatural VR? Looks like a version of Beatsaber but extremely cardio based

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Shine posted:

I'll add to this, you'll want to enter the beta branch and enable the Vulkan renderer. X-Plane runs like dogshit in general (the creator believes that if it runs beyond 25fps, then you're just wasting performance :psyduck: ), but the Vulkan render roughly doubled its performance for me. That still means "turn down all the settings to keep at least 45fps most of the time'ish", but that's better than the older, shittier renderer. Flight sims are impossible.

You weren’t joking. It has been a while since I’ve been in x-plane so I didn’t even know about the beta. I grabbed it last night and even with stuff turned way up I got a solid 45fps near the ground and for the first time ever actual 90fps when really high up. It still looks like x-plane of course but it’s actually smooth now so I’m satisfied.

arsegrit
Oct 22, 2004
I have a mild astigmatism in both eyes, which means the focus is a bit screwed at all distances. I just take my glasses off for VR and treat it like bonus anti-aliasing! It's an original Vive though. Perhaps if it was higher resolution then I'd get the lens inserts. Contacts for astigmatism are apparently pretty awkward.

As for laser surgery - a colleague of mine got it done, Something Went Wrong, and now he carries a bottle of eye drops with him everywhere. That's soured me on the idea somewhat. I'll take my blur-o-vision over risk of damage.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

arsegrit posted:

I have a mild astigmatism in both eyes, which means the focus is a bit screwed at all distances. I just take my glasses off for VR and treat it like bonus anti-aliasing! It's an original Vive though. Perhaps if it was higher resolution then I'd get the lens inserts. Contacts for astigmatism are apparently pretty awkward.

They really aren't. They feel a little different from regular contacts but you get used to it pretty quick. I much prefer them to wearing glasses.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I have a mild astigmatism and have been wearing contacts on and off (mostly off because I'm lazy) since I was like 16 without issue. Modern contacts are really really good, they're nearly 100% permeable to oxygen. Some brands of contacts (acuvue?) are custom made to order so there's no reason they would be less comfortable than for anyone else

Contacts take some getting used to, about two weeks but after the break in period they're great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Did the $10 Harry Potter glasses from zenni get discontinued or something?

I know at one point people were just getting those to use the lenses in their hmds