Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eldritch BiLast
Jul 7, 2009

Pummel Sylvanas
Melee Range
Instant

Eej posted:

Painting my first 40k mini which is an Intercessor I got for free from the Warhammer store

I wanted to go another level of blue for highlight but the lightest coat I could do without splattering was basically the width of the backpack so it's kind of hard to get that thin spot highlight going. Is this a function of the fat 0.5mm nozzle on my Badger 105 or can I get a finer result through thinning and fiddling with psi?

If the former, well, it was half the price of an Iwata Eclipse so what can you do but does anyone know if the 0.3mm conversion kit for the 105 is good?

e: painting details with a size 3 synthetic brush I got in a value pack at the art store that sheds a hair every time I rinse it in water is going to drive me insane

You can do it but you're going to hate yourself. Get a size 1 or 0 red sable brush.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Yeah I ordered two from Jackson Art Supplies in the UK which is taking its sweet time coming here so I started working on the metallics with the crappy brushes I had and I didn't realize what crappy brush meant until now

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Eej posted:

I wanted to go another level of blue for highlight but the lightest coat I could do without splattering was basically the width of the backpack so it's kind of hard to get that thin spot highlight going. Is this a function of the fat 0.5mm nozzle on my Badger 105 or can I get a finer result through thinning and fiddling with psi?

Yes, that's exactly what you can do. it takes a lot of practice but you can get a very fine line with the 105, not quite as fine as a Sotar or other detail brush, but fine enough to do highlights on your shoulders and backpack.

The size of your spray pattern is determined by how close the tip of your airbrush is to the painting surface, the closer you get the lower you need to set your PSI to avoid spider webbing, and the lower your PSI the thinner you need to make your paints.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Cool ok I'll practice that on the many Assault Intercessors and Necron Warriors in the Indomitus box before I try doing it on a more detailed model.

Kinda tempted to see if I can get that 0.3mm conversion anyway

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

with a rebel yell she QQd posted:

So this was my oath last month, but I made a group shot with the actual Possessed included in my Mordheim Cult of the Possessed! Now to put them on the cobblestone bases...

Hell yes. Great conversion on the mutant with the double head.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

So this was my oath last month, but I made a group shot with the actual Possessed included in my Mordheim Cult of the Possessed! Now to put them on the cobblestone bases...

yeah man, these are awesome

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

I love the red gradient, they look incredible!

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Watching YouTubers paint is such a double edged sword. On the one hand, I learn a lot. On the other hand, every single time it's like:

5 minutes in: "oh man that looks really good and really approachable, maybe I'll pick one of those models up and have a go"
40 minutes in and 400 steps I would have never thought of later: "ah well, trash comes on Friday, I'll make sure I bag up all my paintbrushes before then"

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Hey thread, long time no see. I don't do much painting anymore, especially 40k, but a buddy gave me the Primaris Captain from the new box set. I'd like to replace the sword with a thunderhammer because I'm a giant nerd for Salamanders. Any suggestions for an appropriate bit? I'm pretty out of the loop on modern 40k kits and what's available.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
how smol can you go?

(copplestone 10mm dwarfs)

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Nebalebadingdong posted:

how smol can you go?

(copplestone 10mm dwarfs)

Someone with a 3d printer want go go lower???

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

w00tmonger posted:

BRB, printing a map-scale BattleMech.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Fyrbrand posted:

Hey thread, long time no see. I don't do much painting anymore, especially 40k, but a buddy gave me the Primaris Captain from the new box set. I'd like to replace the sword with a thunderhammer because I'm a giant nerd for Salamanders. Any suggestions for an appropriate bit? I'm pretty out of the loop on modern 40k kits and what's available.

The way I like to look at it is like this:
The only person I’m competing with is myself. Are the models I paint today better than the ones I painted last month?

That guy might have done 400 steps but he’s getting paid for it (in one way or another),you’re doing this for your own enjoyment, try to learn one thing at a time and incorporate it into your next project. Then do it again on the project after that.

Incremental improvements are how you get there.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Nebalebadingdong posted:

how smol can you go?

6mm WW2 French from GHQ

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

NUMBER 1 FULCI FAN posted:

Watching YouTubers paint is such a double edged sword. On the one hand, I learn a lot. On the other hand, every single time it's like:

5 minutes in: "oh man that looks really good and really approachable, maybe I'll pick one of those models up and have a go"
40 minutes in and 400 steps I would have never thought of later: "ah well, trash comes on Friday, I'll make sure I bag up all my paintbrushes before then"

Yeah, that sounds about on par for myself as well. :sigh:

Actually, speaking of paintbrushes, I thought about buying a new set, since I think I screwed up the ones I got about a year or so ago; a few of them have lost the fine tip, and I feel like that's crucial for trying to paint accurately. I clean them with brush soap when I'm done, but I either don't get them cleaned throughly, or (more likely) I get paint into the ferrule while trying to thin/stir paint. That's what makes watching YouTube painters so frustrating; you watch a video and it seems like they can apply a fine-tipped brush to something and the paint just slides off perfectly.

The brushes I have are Transon Detail brushes. I don't know anything about Transon, so I don't know if they're quality or not. I assume the brushes are synthetic.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
A quick googling shows those are synthetics, and cheaper synthetics are going to wear out no matter what you do. Depending on what you mean by lost their tip it could be a variety of things, but it could also just be use/time.

Good natural hair brushes are far more expensive, but you only need like 1 or 2 brushes for 99% of your painting and good care will make them last years. I use a W&N Series 7 size 1 for almost everything and then a 2/0 for stuff like eyes. If you basecoat with a brush instead of an airbrush you'd likely want a larger brush also, but that could be a synthetic since control isn't as important at that point. I bought these like 8 years ago, and while I have not been painting constantly that whole time they have still lived through quite a few hours of painting.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

moths posted:

6mm WW2 French from GHQ

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

2mm minis exist

http://www.irregularminiatures.co.uk/indexes/2mmindex.htm

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

So I made a diorama for the first time.

Goobertown Hobbies, the youtube paint guy, runs a painting challenge where you randomly select a unpainted miniature in your collection, and you roll for the theme and color scheme. The model that I got was a Leopard 2 main battle tank from the 1980s in 15mm scale. This Leopard 2 would be "Heroic" and... purple.

Painting such a grounded model in a whimsical color just felt very off to me, so I started trying to make a narrative where that color scheme makes sense. Why is the tank purple? Because it's on a planet with purple vegetation. That would make purple a perfectly sensible color for a tank. Why is it on a planet with purple vegetation? Uh, well, it is fighting giant aliens. Why is a tank from the 1980s on a purple planet in presumably the rather far future fighting aliens? Well, it's very old I guess.

So: In summary, the little narrative I made to justify the silly color is that we have a very old tank on a planet with purple vegetation fighting aliens.

This snowballed into making this diorama: I used a 40k Hormagaunt as the alien monster, which compared to a 15mm tank is a giant kaiju. I added some purple little 15mm scale soldiers to give a sense of the scale. I had done up a desert base before I remembered about my purple vegetation so I added a purple tuft. I wanted a sense of motion and action, so I put the gaunt on a flight base, mid-pounce, and added billowing dust clouds behind the tank, to give the sense that it is driving at high speed, swiveling away from the alien. I put a little smoke at the end of the barrel - The tank just fired, and missed.

Making this silly diorama was a lot of fun. Painting super serious real life military hardware purple with checkerbox patterns and roman numerals is fun. Painting a model that I'm never going to use for gaming just for it's own sake was fun.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
Ok now let's see people's largest painted "minis"

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Cinara posted:

A quick googling shows those are synthetics, and cheaper synthetics are going to wear out no matter what you do. Depending on what you mean by lost their tip it could be a variety of things, but it could also just be use/time.

Good natural hair brushes are far more expensive, but you only need like 1 or 2 brushes for 99% of your painting and good care will make them last years. I use a W&N Series 7 size 1 for almost everything and then a 2/0 for stuff like eyes. If you basecoat with a brush instead of an airbrush you'd likely want a larger brush also, but that could be a synthetic since control isn't as important at that point. I bought these like 8 years ago, and while I have not been painting constantly that whole time they have still lived through quite a few hours of painting.

A quick photo of the last two brushes I used.

The top brush (0) I've used a lot with most of my painting sessions in the last few months, and you can see that the tip is gone. I've tried to reshape by wetting the brush and wiping it with a tissue, but no luck. I have two other brushes like it where the tips have spread apart (2/0, 3/0).

The bottom brush (1) I just started using the other day, and it was only very briefly to paint some metallics onto a Grey Knight. It's still got a good tip, though in writing this, I now recall that metallic paints can sometimes mess up brushes. I still have three brushes with this same quality (3, 2, 4/0), though they haven't been used, and so the glue has not been rinsed out of them (the brushes came with a little printout note, telling you to rinse the brushes in water to dissolve the starch from the hairs.)

Something that might have messed up the brushes faster was that I probably cleaned a few of them with warm water. Early on, I thought warm water would help get the paint out, but then I found out it affects the glue in the ferrule. When I clean them now, I wipe the brushes in the brush soap tin, then run cold water over them.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

I think it's a tie between a Knight Armiger and a Carnosaur.

Although I think my Valkyrie is a bit bigger. But I don't have any decent shots of. Due to being too big for my regular lightbox. :v:

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

I've used Vallejo Crackle Medium exactly like this and it does nothing. Then again, I may have a bad bottle of it; one of the LGSs here was infamous for having YEARS old paint they sold as new.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

My biggest must be my two superheavy tanks:

And the tallest are my Cerastus Knights:

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Fyrbrand posted:

There are thunder hammers on the salamanders primaris upgrade sprue.

Dunno when it'll be back in stock at GW, but you can maybe find one locally: https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Salamanders-Primaris-Upgrades-And-Transfers-2019

edit: they're left hands so you'll have to chop off the hammer. You can also look around at places like Shapeways if you search for "energy hammer" https://popgoesthemonkey.com/collections/melee-weapons/products/11x-energy-hammer-vulcan

long-ass nips Diane fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Aug 13, 2020

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Not all that large in the scheme of things, but still the largest I've ever painted :)

Red Herring
Apr 3, 2010
9th has excited me enough to update and repaint some 40k stuff.

Before:

After (WIP)

Not sure if the white is sitting right with me though - maybe the grills should be a different colour? I don't know what colour it could be.

Maybe there's just too much white, and I should have picked smaller panels.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Ohhhh boy testing out my Death Guard scheme on a regular Space Marine:

Waiting for washes to dry, then I need to do some highlights. So far I do not like it, I wanted the main armor to be much more white-than-green but this just looks light green. Not sure what'll be a good color for the eyes, either.

Also this scheme is very hard to photograph... Also also my first mini I've painted in over a year :ohdear:

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Aug 13, 2020

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
For the main armor, did you just use a sorta green contrast paint over white? Maybe mix a little green into pure white to get a muted puke color then drybrush that over this color? Or like just lightly drybrush/sponge white over this green so that the green is in the recesses and a transparent white is over the green on the main panels

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Red Herring posted:

9th has excited me enough to update and repaint some 40k stuff.

Before:

After (WIP)

Not sure if the white is sitting right with me though - maybe the grills should be a different colour? I don't know what colour it could be.

Maybe there's just too much white, and I should have picked smaller panels.

I mean I like it :shobon:

Edit: maybe do the gills(intakes) a dark gray on the raised spots? Or possibly black?

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Spanish Manlove posted:

For the main armor, did you just use a sorta green contrast paint over white? Maybe mix a little green into pure white to get a muted puke color then drybrush that over this color? Or like just lightly drybrush/sponge white over this green so that the green is in the recesses and a transparent white is over the green on the main panels

It was a bit of a complicated process:

Airbrushed:
* Mix of Army Painter's Green Tone + P3's Muddy Wash (I think I need to be MUCH more generous with this next time)
* Vallejo Int. Grey Green
* Citadel Krieg Khaki (Probably mix this with some pure white next time)

Regular Brushed:
* Mix of Vallejo Bonewhite and AP Goblin Green
* Athonian Camoshade Wash on all the white-green armor
* P3 Muddy Wash more on all the brown and the "joints" between armor

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Aug 13, 2020

Psyber Spine
Jan 18, 2019

Red Herring posted:

After (WIP)

How did you go about doing your canopy? I'm also redoing things for the new edition and I'm currently repainting a valkyrie. I've gone for a kind of flat bottle green with a gloss over it and it doesn't look very convincing. Maybe I need to finally learn how to do wet blending!

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

My tallest mini is this dragon from Heresy:

But for overall mass it's probably my Stompas:

At least until I get cracking on Maldrakar or my Gargant...

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

There are thunder hammers on the salamanders primaris upgrade sprue.

Dunno when it'll be back in stock at GW, but you can maybe find one locally: https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Salamanders-Primaris-Upgrades-And-Transfers-2019

edit: they're left hands so you'll have to chop off the hammer. You can also look around at places like Shapeways if you search for "energy hammer" https://popgoesthemonkey.com/collections/melee-weapons/products/11x-energy-hammer-vulcan

Sweet, thanks!

Eldritch BiLast
Jul 7, 2009

Pummel Sylvanas
Melee Range
Instant
Got a different shade of red, primed one of the indomitus space marines, and got to work on the Terran style scheme.

Looking a lot better with the deeper red. Pardon the shoddy brush work on some areas, I was painting without eating anything all day and I had the hunger shakes. I'll be going over them before I shade.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

The largest thing is just a riptide but I'm really proud of it even if it's not a work of art. I'm proud of every mistake and little thing I forgot to fix

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

sold all my BA but a few dudes many years ago (unfortunately now) but found this picture of the biggest mini I ever painted

edit: Land Raider Crusader with black spray paint job, unthinned brush work, no edge highlighting, no washes, a bit of drybrushing, don't beat me up thread

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

tangy yet delightful posted:

sold all my BA but a few dudes many years ago (unfortunately now) but found this picture of the biggest mini I ever painted

edit: Land Raider Crusader with black spray paint job, unthinned brush work, no edge highlighting, no washes, a bit of drybrushing, don't beat me up thread

Hey the weathering on your ramp looks good.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Nebalebadingdong posted:

how smol can you go?

w00tmonger posted:

I definitely don't have good enough detail brushes for work at mapscale. Just in case anyone was wondering how much of a hex a BattleMech actually occupies.

For reference:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Werix posted:

Hey the weathering on your ramp looks good.

Thanks!