Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Sagebrush posted:

Hell, I plan to use this as a couch chillout game by setting it to easy mode and hooking up an Xbox controller and just buzzing around looking at stuff.

the gently caress? i bet you're not going to spend $8k on dlc either

loving casuals

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Sagebrush posted:

Honestly you can play a civilian simulator just fine with any old joystick. Get a Logitech Wingman off eBay for 15 bucks and wipe it down with alcohol and you're good. You can always upgrade to a fancy setup later.

Hell, I plan to use this as a couch chillout game by setting it to easy mode and hooking up an Xbox controller and just buzzing around looking at stuff.

If I can beat F/A-18 Hornet with the numpad then I can fly a drat Cessna.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

~Coxy posted:

If I can beat F/A-18 Hornet with the numpad then I can fly a drat Cessna.

lol that the cessna without the glass cockpit is dlc

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

the 152 has regular six-pack gauges and it's in the base edition and it's more fun than a 172 anyway.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost
I plan on playing this for a couple hours and enjoying myself but probably not picking it up again after that.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
i have a sidewinder 3d pro that has a gameport but apparently microsoft used a different protocol so in order to get it to work w/ a modern comp you have to build your own adapter. that sucks

Feisty-Cadaver
Jun 1, 2000
The worms crawl in,
The worms crawl out.

mobby_6kl posted:

One of the screenshots in the article shows a random Indian airstrip, I assume that's what anything not mapped out explicitly would look like:

this is also what the STL airport looks like, only there's a tornado in the background

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

I told you

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

is there an open beta yet

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

SRQ posted:

is there an open beta yet

i installed the xbox insider app on the windows store and was able to download the beta. ymmv

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Did we ever get Word-Of-God from the studio on whether Dirigibles and Ekranosplan would be part of the base game or would it be DLC-only?

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

$1400

Microsoft's long awaited Surface Duo foldable smartphone costs $1,400 and can be preordered right now

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Microsoft Plight Stimulator

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

sir, this is the flight simulator thread

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Microsoft Plight Stimulator

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
I got real excited about there maybe being information about driving dirigibles and ekranosplan but sadly 'twas not to be.

:sigh:

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

the surface duo kind of flies. as I yeet it into the dumpster in the alley

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Schadenboner posted:

I got real excited about there maybe being information about driving dirigibles and ekranosplan but sadly 'twas not to be.

:sigh:

probably someone will make a blimp for it eventually. flight simulator addons make the train simulator DLC look like a tiny babby.

the ekranoplan probably would be a lot harder because idk if any simulator models ground effect well enough to operate permanently in that regime. also nobody knows anything about how the Lun-class' systems work so any "simulation" would be a best guess.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

infernal machines posted:

sir, this is the flight simulator thread

whoops I assumed the first thread I had been in that said "microsoft" was the one and wondering why yospos wasn't making fun of it. How far the mighty have fallen.

still excited for this game!

edit:

akadajet posted:

the surface duo kind of flies. as I yeet it into the dumpster in the alley

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Hed posted:

whoops I assumed the first thread I had been in that said "microsoft" was the one and wondering why yospos wasn't making fun of it. How far the mighty have fallen.

you'll find that the actual microsoft thread says linux

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
TIL the cockpit screens in the A350 used for doing your fuel/weight math and looking at maps and stuff are just hooked up to a pair of ThinkPads in the coat rack running Win7.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Most pilots these days use an iPad app for that stuff so it makes sense that there's a much more expensive, probably much crappier OEM windows version built in, yeah

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Hed posted:

still excited for this game!

edit:

it's an android, so i quoted your post over in the android thread.

even i have a hard time telling which of the linux threads is the microsoft one

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahNcj4i5l5I

finally my dream to explore every airport parking lot in the world is realized

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

infernal machines posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahNcj4i5l5I

finally my dream to explore every airport parking lot in the world is realized

Compared to the flight simulator version we had on our 486 in the 90's this is a goddamn miracle of detail.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

It is really gorgeous. I landed on a beach that I used to go to as a kid and taxied down to the diner on the point where we would get breakfast.

Not everywhere in the world has the photogrammetric scenery, and only a handful of airports are built to the level shown in that video, but it's still quite stunning.

Smug Mug
Jul 21, 2011

is it out?

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
next week. what flight stick or whatever do i want for this game. also im an idiot that doesnt know how to fly a plane so factor that in pls thx

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I don’t know the answer to any of that but you reminded me: finally a game I won’t have to invert the y-axis in

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Bored Online posted:

next week. what flight stick or whatever do i want for this game. also im an idiot that doesnt know how to fly a plane so factor that in pls thx

i think most of them are sold out at the moment or tough to find due to the release of this. if you have a ps4 or an xbox controller, something like that you might just use that at first and see if you like it. a basic thrustmaster hotas one is about $80 new and designed for this, they go up from there. not many are specifically supported by this yet, but a saitek, a logitech, the big manufacturer stuff should work fine. there are more recs if you read this topic, think it was around page 2 or 3. really depends on your budget and interests, what you want out of this

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Bored Online posted:

four days in fact. august 18th.

best all around starter joystick is the thrustmaster t.16000 stick. if you want to spend a little more, get the t.16000 hotas pack or the vkb gladiator. if you're on a severe budget, a logitech extreme 3d pro on ebay is p deece. note that all joysticks are expensive and hard to find right now because covid and fs2020.

fwiw though literally anything that shows up as a controller in the windows usb game controller panel will work. the "officially supported" sticks just have the button bindings preconfigured. if you've got an old gravis blackhawk and a game port adapter you can use it

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
i bought this thing: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07643TW2V

the throttle is a little loose, but the stick seems fine if a bit small for my hand due to the height of the hand rest. the stick has a yaw control which is nice.

the stick has adjustable tension but the throttle doesnt which sucks. im gonna probably add some kind of padding or something inside the throttle to improve the friction so its not as loose.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

techmoan rules

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCTF2edNDWQ&t=155s

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I got this on steam which in retrospect is pretty dumb. They have you download a 1Gb package from steam which then launches a downloader that pulls the full 91Gb. The beauty of this system is that you can't manage the bandwidth limits or autopause updates while playing other games with the native steam tools, and then they have music you can't turn off playing the entire time it downloads the 91Gb.

lol

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
the xbox game pass version does the same thing. its fuckin weird. maybe it has to do w/ the asset streaming or something and they didnt want to have to push patches to every platform? idk. seems dumb.

wrt the music you can mute individual apps in the windows mixer so u can minimize it and do other poo poo while it downloads.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Shaggar posted:

the xbox game pass version does the same thing. its fuckin weird. maybe it has to do w/ the asset streaming or something and they didnt want to have to push patches to every platform? idk. seems dumb.

wrt the music you can mute individual apps in the windows mixer so u can minimize it and do other poo poo while it downloads.

Do you think I don't know how to use the volume mixer?

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I've been using the windows volume mixer since you were in diapers!!

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
lol @ not letting people preload 90 GB of game and somehow not having a built-in profile for my yoke which has been sold for over 10 years now

but holy poo poo they absolutely nailed my local airport. The CTLS model is dead-on – I spent like 15 minutes just doing pattern work and was instinctively turning to avoid the school right off the end of the runway because why the gently caress not

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Jimmy Carter posted:

lol @ not letting people preload 90 GB of game and somehow not having a built-in profile for my yoke which has been sold for over 10 years now

but holy poo poo they absolutely nailed my local airport. The CTLS model is dead-on – I spent like 15 minutes just doing pattern work and was instinctively turning to avoid the school right off the end of the runway because why the gently caress not

are you at RHV

cause yeah i'm also automatically doing the noise abatement procedures I do IRL and I am having trouble convincing myself to violate the SFO bravo. lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I have to go to bed and then to work so I hope everyone understands when I have like 20 hours of play time on steam for this tomorrow night.