Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat
I think that sheriff is setting himself and his department up to be sued into the loving ground.

Imagine telling a jury, "It's true there were multiple gunmen just shooting the poo poo out of the place, but I told my deputies SPECIFICALLY they weren't allowed to wear body armor anywhere but the courthouse because no one knows if they were shooting bullets or blanks."

I just am not sure how well that's going to hold up.

edit: gently caress I didn't even think about the citizens who can trace it to having to interact with the cops, in the cop building, where you're not allowed to wear a mask "because BLM."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

naem
May 29, 2011

it’s fun seeing how dysfunctional america is in real time

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

So I guess one more thing we’ve learned from this pandemic is that sheriffs can do literally whatever they want with impunity and suffer no consequences or checks and balances no matter how many people they kill.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high
How the gently caress does a cop have any jurisdiction over a medical emergency

Holy poo poo in my country the medical edicts supercede the authority of the Governor

What in the gently caress is wrong with you America

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

stab posted:

Holy poo poo in my country the medical edicts supercede the authority of the Governor

The answer is depressingly simple.

Who's going to arrest him?

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
Folks, we're going for the spike (again).

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

So what, his plan is to arrest the first person who wears a mask in the sheriffs building because they care more about public safety than his stupid feelings?

Who am I kidding, he absolutely will and charge them with something like “intimidation” and then go back to being a crybaby about how nobody respects the police.

What a loving shitbag. It’s amazing that there’s nothing anyone can do.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

WaryWarren posted:

Folks, we're going for the spike (again).

Spike implies it goes down. This thing is gonna soar like disco sales.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

My work just sent out a "We're all coming back Monday, folks!!" email today saying that most departments need to return monday and there's going to be an extra FIFTY DOLLARS on our paychecks for coming back to the office. Fortunately over the years I managed to work my way into a department where I can work from home and don't have to be even in the same building as our main call center so this doesn't apply to me but jesus christ so many people are going to get sick. They have a thing on the notice talking about requiring masks but they're only required if you're not at your desk. If you're at your desk you can take your mask off.

They're just tired of trying to wrangle people who are working remote into logging into the queue to take calls when normally they could just walk up to you and threaten you to your face. Guarantee all the execs that work on the perimeter of the building and have their own offices are going to be staying the gently caress home though.

Uncle Lloyd
Sep 2, 2019

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

It’s $30, but you “buy” it and it can be streamed as often as you want if you have an active Disney+ subscription.

Ah, this is obviously some strange use of the word buy that I wasn’t previously aware of.

postmodifier
Nov 24, 2004

The LIQUOR BOTTLES are out in full force.
MOM is surely nearby.

Uncle Lloyd posted:

Ah, this is obviously some strange use of the word buy that I wasn’t previously aware of.

This is the secret art that Blockbuster was searching for, yet Netflix failed to achieve. Buy this from us for X, but only as long as you keep paying us Y.

They've done it, they cracked the seal.

Welcome to the desert of the rental.

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.
Hasn’t buying stuff on Amazon’s video service been like this for a while?

postmodifier
Nov 24, 2004

The LIQUOR BOTTLES are out in full force.
MOM is surely nearby.

postmodifier posted:

This is the secret art that Blockbuster was searching for, yet Netflix failed to achieve. Buy this from us for X, but only as long as you keep paying us Y.

Actually, I should add that video game services have been doing this forever, like World of Warcraft, or FFXIV (amazing), or even stuff like PS Now or XBox Gamepass,

BUT

at least with that model, if you stop paying your subscription, the game continued to grown and entice you back to pay again for new content, whereas here

I've seen mulan 16 times now, when's the new patch???

Antiquated Pants
Feb 23, 2011

Oh god I'm so lonely in here...
:negative:

Rascar Capac posted:

I don't like supporting Amazon, but I do watch a lot of videos on their service. At least when you buy something it's just on your free account, you do not need a Prime subscription to access "Prime Video." Rentals work like you'd expect.

Just don't get banned or forget your password...

Mrs. Sexual
Feb 3, 2020

Rat posted:

Every day this year I thank myself for not getting an unlimited movie pass to the small indie theater. They've opened back up. Much as I miss going to watch a movie at a theatre it's not happening any time soon

If you open the theaters (or any venue) people are going to go. Just don't loving open them. Maybe we really don't need giant cinemas and heaps of movie releases all the time. I liked going out and having the big screen and a snack and it was a good time. I'd rather not risk it than have slightly more fun doing something I can also do at home

Each day that passes I feel like some paranoid worrywart missing out on life. I know I'm doing the right thing by distancing and not partaking in risky activities. I'm also deeply frustrated watching people do things on social media stories like sharing bites of sandwiches between friends, big group photos, group drinking shots, underground dance parties, so much dumb poo poo. These people will insist to your face that they are taking precautions. I can't trust anyone to be honest about exposure. Watching people you care about be so thoughtless is exhausting

Going to a movie theatre prob isn’t the biggest concern in the general population in the U.S.

But I hope your grand,a or kids don’t die

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

JonathonSpectre posted:

edit: gently caress I didn't even think about the citizens who can trace it to having to interact with the cops, in the cop building, where you're not allowed to wear a mask "because BLM."

It’s going to do wonders for their crime stats.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

postmodifier posted:

Did you know usenet is still is a thing? Not even that it's gotten better over time while I can't say that for Netflix.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

Rascar Capac posted:

Yes, and it was a piss off back then.

Rat
Dec 12, 2006

meow

Mrs. Sexual posted:

Going to a movie theatre prob isn’t the biggest concern in the general population in the U.S.

But I hope your grand,a or kids don’t die
There's worse stuff sure. That motorcycle rally still happened. But it's still an enclosed airspace with strangers where you will remain for hours, most people eating and touching their faces, just a bad idea.

My last grandparent died in early March due to sudden severe pneumonia (probably COVID-19 but before there was regular testing here). I'm now worried about my mom with health issues who is a schoolteacher going back to class soon. And I'm getting angry watching my younger sisters going to illegal raves and beach parties on the reg

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
I'm just trying to figure out how many dead we realistically are going to see, and if it's going to feel like an apocalyptic movie with corpse piles, like a 28 days later hospital exit sequence, or if I won't see direct signs of this thing happening. Maybe I'm being overparanoid, but how bad does it realistically look like it's going to get?

compshateme85
Jan 28, 2009

Oh you like racoons? Name three of their songs. You dope.

stab posted:

Pretty much all of it

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

rotinaj posted:

I'm just trying to figure out how many dead we realistically are going to see, and if it's going to feel like an apocalyptic movie with corpse piles, like a 28 days later hospital exit sequence, or if I won't see direct signs of this thing happening. Maybe I'm being overparanoid, but how bad does it realistically look like it's going to get?

We've been consistently losing around 1300 a day, since we've figured out how to bring down mortality rates by giving patients with severe symptoms extremely powerful blood thinners. It cant save everyone (see the nearly 9/11 everyday amount of deaths), but it does help some people.

stump collector
May 28, 2007
Turns out it's pretty easy to forget a 9/11s worth of casualties occurring more often than good drink special nights at your local bar

sokatoah
Oct 6, 2005

Oh gods, how do we find the hypotenuse?

The Real Amethyst posted:

I'll start worrying when it gets to SARS or Swine Flu levels of outbreak.
Heck even ebola wasn't all that worrying for anybody in the west.

Have you started worrying yet?

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Hazo posted:

So what, his plan is to arrest the first person who wears a mask in the sheriffs building because they care more about public safety than his stupid feelings?

Who am I kidding, he absolutely will and charge them with something like “intimidation” and then go back to being a crybaby about how nobody respects the police.

What a loving shitbag. It’s amazing that there’s nothing anyone can do.

From what we learned in the last few months, if we didn't already know before, if that first person is black, there is a high chance they will be gunned down and the justification is "they were wearing a mask, only criminals and terrorists wear masks, we had to defend ourselves"...

I wish I was joking.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

rotinaj posted:

Multiply your infection fatality rate by your population. If we assume recovery does provide lasting immunity you could multiply that number by 80%, because once 80% are immune infections should taper off.

Except nobody really knows the IFR. It's probably lower than the Diamond Princess days, since now they know about clots and stuff. So maybe just use 1% for simplicity.

3.3 million dead americans. 78 million dead world wide. Millions more with long term or permanent organ damage and disability.

bort
Mar 13, 2003

sokatoah posted:

Have you started worrying yet?
:pwn:

edit: Answered: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3911826&perpage=40&noseen=1&pagenumber=974#post504886821

bort fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Aug 13, 2020

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Intellectual
AI Enthusiast
The creepy part of those numbers are ~80 million symptomatic with ~15.7 million requiring hospitalization.

I mean, an average of 6 days hospital time, at a cost of $73,000 uh ..

1149312 million. 11 trillion?

Just ignoring the long term health implications and possible immunity issues uh.. the unlikely hospitalization of that many people is horrifying.

HerStuddMuffin
Aug 10, 2014

YOSPOS
1149312 million is 1.1 trillion. Still a staggering number, mind you.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

stab posted:

I'm definitely not saying all our problems are Australia's fault, but if Fox News had never existed the country might not be so divided that believing in science is a political position.

Just teasing you, Australia.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Beachcomber posted:

I'm definitely not saying all our problems are Australia's fault, but if Fox News had never existed the country might not be so divided that believing in science is a political position.

Just teasing you, Australia.

No that's a fair call, we'll cop to that one :(

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

HerStuddMuffin posted:

1149312 million is 1.1 trillion. Still a staggering number, mind you.

That's about twice the annual spend of the DoD so peanuts for the USA basically.

If you can spend 600 billion to kill people surely you can afford 1.2 trillion to save some lives.

Edit - in reality most people won't give enough of a poo poo until the anaesthetist is ramming that ET tube down their throat.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:
the german major health research institute rki put out a message today that an earlier statement of them expecting a covid vacine by fall was wrong. they did not give an updated estimate

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

ACAB

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR
This NZ resurgence is wild. The idea that it could bounce around asymptomatically for three months before popping back up is pretty out there. For now I'm just going to assume the most obvious theory is true and somebody at some point of the chain was lying about their quarantine, but if not there's some major rethinking to do about transmission theories!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The cluster’s nexus at a cold storage facility is suggestive.

It could be a coincidence, but I’d put money on it coming in via freight.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
The freight ships and planes have crew that are human that could spread it, Wild I know!

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:
yeah, every single open border without mandatory quarantine and tests is a lottery for inviting covid, from the national level right down to the town level

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR
Saw the frozen goods theory, yeah. I haven't seen anything on how long it can remain infectious at that kind of temp but surely that stuff must have been in transit for days if not weeks?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

darkwasthenight posted:

Saw the frozen goods theory, yeah. I haven't seen anything on how long it can remain infectious at that kind of temp but surely that stuff must have been in transit for days if not weeks?

Frozen virus don't just die normally, they just stay there until they are defrosted, depending on the virus.