Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Barry Convex posted:

huh, I don't recall this. what I recall hearing was that the originally planned crossover for 2006 was "superheroes vs. SHIELD" and that Millar didn't like the idea and turned it into Civil War through several editorial meetings
I should really just write this up somewhere permanent, but the specific quote from the Civil War scriptbook (from Mark Millar's commentary):

quote:

Marvel had a plan for a crossover, but it wasn't very good and I remember Brian and I passing each other little notes saying as much. [...] Brian went away slightly troubled, feeling we could do better. Next morning we hopped a cab from the hotel together and he said he had a great idea. Why don't we do something he'd touched upon as part of his big New Avengers plans with regard to secret identities and registration? He had this idea of SHIELD vs. the Marvel Universe...
So Civil War grew out of a "SHIELD vs. the Marvel Universe" subplot Bendis was doing in New Avengers, but that wasn't the original pitch for the crossover.

Anecdotally, I was at a Millarworld bar meet-up that took place possibly the night before Civil War was conceived, and at said bar most of the Marvel Creative Summit people were there and being way too loose lipped about what was going on at the creative summit, which is where I got the "the crossover plan before Civil War was basically World War Hulk", which also explains how the original outline for Civil War (also reprinted in the Scriptbook) contains this suggestion for part of the third act:

quote:

It all comes to a head as the cliffhanger from Planet Hulk neatly cuts into our own series. Another thing I'd like to suggest is completely rethinking the alien attacks thing discussed at the summit. We've seen aliens attack many times and varied types of aliens will only be confusing and a turn-off for the end of a big superhero series. For a summer event, the kids want Marvel characters and the conclusion to this should be the biggest Marvel character of all. I'd really like to see the Hulk attack Earth and bring with him small, five-foot versions of the Hulk called Hulk Babies who are just as powerful and dangerous, but the spawn of the Hulk after he's hosed a hundred thousand alien chicks.

As for Loeb/JMS losing interested in Planet/World War Hulk once it got demoted, the evidence I have is mostly everyone at that bar complaining about how said alien/Hulk invasion story was their idea, and also in the same scriptbook there being some comments from Brevoort about how Loeb argued against letting Civil War be the big 'event'.

Also here's Greg Pak talking about how he came to write Planet Hulk back in 2006:

quote:

I wasn’t in the room when the idea first germinated. But as I understand it, Joe Quesada and the other Marvel editors saw that it was time for the Hulk to cut loose, to run wild -— essentially, to be the Hulk. And a savage alien planet seemed like the perfect place to stage that kind of story.

The editors gave me the set up and a few key plot points, big brush ideas which made me grin--they totally fit in with the kind of Hulk story I'd been itching to tell. My job has been to flesh out the plot, develop the Hulk's emotional story, invent the political, social, and ecological background of the planet and its inhabitants, create the supporting cast, and work out the character arcs and subplots and subtext.

So I admit I'm connecting the dots here (and I may be forgetting some other corroborating evidence/interviews) but I'm pretty confident in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Wednesday trip report: Amazing Spider-Man continues to be great. Ditto Captain Marvel. I'm digging Carol's half-sister.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Yvonmukluk posted:

Wednesday trip report: Amazing Spider-Man continues to be great. Ditto Captain Marvel. I'm digging Carol's half-sister.

I haven't read any of the new Captain Marvel series until now, but I agree. Really interested to see where they go with this new character.

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.
She is great, and it doesn't hurt that Chewie clearly thinks so too. That was a fun bit.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
What the gently caress?

https://twitter.com/Marvel/status/1293623211280801792?s=20

A Phoenix event that doesn't involve the X-Men, sure, why the gently caress not?

I'm trying to think of red heads it could possess that aren't Mutants and all I've got is Mary Jane. Is Pepper Potts a red head?

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Aug 12, 2020

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
So we're gonna see how Logan became the Phoenix in Thor?

E: wait did we already see that?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Skwirl posted:

What the gently caress?

A Phoenix event that doesn't involve the X-Men, sure, why the gently caress not?

I'm trying to think of red heads it could possess that aren't Mutants and all I've got is Mary Jane. Is Pepper Potts a red head?

Black Widow

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'm taking that to mean Marc Spektor is getting the Phoenix Force.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Skwirl posted:

What the gently caress?

The Phoenix is a member of the One Million BC Avengers so this probably has something to do with that.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

:foreheadslap:

Rhyno posted:

I'm taking that to mean Marc Spektor is getting the Phoenix Force.

At least one of his personalities has got to be a redhead.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Age of Khonshu is the (currently running, self-contained) story arc in Avengers, I assume Enter the Phoenix is the next self-contained arc, not an event.

And yes, Khonshu and the Phoenix Force (and the Star Brand, which is part of Age of Khonshu) are all part of the Avengers of 1,000,000 BC. There's built-in story (if not branding) reasons for it to be an Avengers story, not an X-Men one.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

trailer for Rise of Ultraman. Not much new, except that it shows Ultraman and Ultraseven fighting. Which is absurd, Ultraman and Ultraseven are both Ultras from The Land of Light who fight to protect the earth. Why would they be fighting each other?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4eumtx4wqRY

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Gripweed posted:

trailer for Rise of Ultraman. Not much new, except that it shows Ultraman and Ultraseven fighting. Which is absurd, Ultraman and Ultraseven are both Ultras from The Land of Light who fight to protect the earth. Why would they be fighting each other?

Hero-on-hero fights sell more than team ups.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Gripweed posted:

Oh, so you've never read a superhero comic book before? Welcome to the hobby, please feel free to ask any questions you might have, we might make some jokes about your naivate but it's hopefully all in good fun.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
After a couple slower issues poo poo's hitting the fan again in Immortal Hulk. Well, poo poo, gamma radiation, blood, and various other things. As usual, I can't wait til the next issue!

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I don't really have anything big against Aaron, but he's always treated the Phoenix Force like some worn-down sweater to be passed back and forth between people and that whole teaser with Namor wanting to host it again just seems to drag that trend on. Coming soon: Phoenix Captain America! Phoenix Ghost Rider! Phoenix Black Panther! Will they be able to control this dangerous power or will it consume them??! WHO WILL BURN??? yada yada.

Any chance of seeing actual the Phoenix, Jean, taking any part in these shenanigans?.......no...? :\

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Gripweed posted:

Since I know you love animes: Goku and Spiky Goku are both Gokus from Gokuplanet and they fight all the time.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i could see phoenix being uninterested in the usual mutants right now because they live on krakoa. death and rebirth don't mean much there, and the cosmic entity of death and rebirth might not care for that.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

BrianWilly posted:

Any chance of seeing actual the Phoenix, Jean, taking any part in these shenanigans?.......no...? :\

Jean told the Phoenix Force to gently caress off when she came back so maybe the fire chicken is holding a grudge?

More broadly though, Aaron's Avenger run seems fascinated with power that is handed down across generations -- Ghost Rider, Iron Fist, Starbrand, etc and the Phoenix Force fits alongside that quite nicely.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

howe_sam posted:

Jean told the Phoenix Force to gently caress off when she came back so maybe the fire chicken is holding a grudge?

I would accept the Phoenix Force being afraid of Jean and thus giving all mutants a wide berth given the current status quo.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Endless Mike posted:

Since I know you love animes: Goku and Spiky Goku are both Gokus from Gokuplanet and they fight all the time.

No that comparison doesn't work. Goku and Vegeta are both Saiyans from the planet Vegeta, but Goku was sent to earth as a baby where he sustained brain damage and was then raised as a good guy by Gohan. Meanwhile Vegeta grew up in Saiyan culture, working for Frieza. Their conflict began when Vegeta came to earth to conquer it for Frieza, and of course Goku didn't want that to happen. And they don't fight all the time, they fought twice. First when Vegeta came to earth to conquer it, and again almost a decade later when Vegeta allowed Babidi to turn him evil.

That's not comparable to Ultraman and Ultraseven at all. They are both Ultras from Nebula M78, the Land of Light. Ultraman was chasing the criminal Bemular and SSSP member Shin Hayata got caught in the middle and died. Ultraman fused his life force with Shin's to save his life, and stayed on earth to defend it until the SSSP could handle itself. Ultraseven was a cartographer exploring the milky way when he noticed that earth was the target of numerous alien invasion schemes. So he took the form of a human called Dan Moroboshi and joined the Ultra Guard to defend the planet. He left when his time on earth was taking too much of a toll on his Ultra body for him to continue, and the Ultra Guard had shown itself capable of defending the earth without him.

The earths Ultraman and Ultraseven defended existed in different universes, and they have regularly ppked their heads into other universes to help other Ultramen, and even worked together. There is no conflict between Ultraman and Ultraseven.

edit: I'm dumb, it's probably an Alien Babarue disguising itself as either Ultraman or Ultraseven

Gripweed fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Aug 13, 2020

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

There's no conflict yet, but we haven't read the comic because it doesn't actually exist yet. It's an Ultraman origin story and it's going to be different from previous ones if only to justify its own existence. So we don't know why they're fighting.

Dreqqus
Feb 21, 2013

BAMF!

Gripweed posted:

ULTRAMAN STUFF

Thank you for this, I love tokusatsu stuff but Ultraman has always been a blind spot for me.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
The Leader is just having a hell of a time, hard not to feel good for the guy.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Gripweed posted:

No that comparison doesn't work. Goku and Vegeta are both Saiyans from the planet Vegeta, but Goku was sent to earth as a baby where he sustained brain damage and was then raised as a good guy by Gohan. Meanwhile Vegeta grew up in Saiyan culture, working for Frieza. Their conflict began when Vegeta came to earth to conquer it for Frieza, and of course Goku didn't want that to happen. And they don't fight all the time, they fought twice. First when Vegeta came to earth to conquer it, and again almost a decade later when Vegeta allowed Babidi to turn him evil.
They're all Gokus

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Dreqqus posted:

Thank you for this, I love tokusatsu stuff but Ultraman has always been a blind spot for me.

I'm just an Ultra novitiate, I've only seen like 5 and a half seasons of it so far. But when the comic comes out I'll be more than happy to explain any extra Ultra stuff in it that I catch.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

howe_sam posted:

More broadly though, Aaron's Avenger run seems fascinated with power that is handed down across generations -- Ghost Rider, Iron Fist, Starbrand, etc and the Phoenix Force fits alongside that quite nicely.
I mean, it's not that I didn't expect Aaron to touch on the Phoenix at some point, since the whole prehistoric Avengers thing seems to be a big part of his story and just about every one of "them" has been making the rounds in his arcs. I just think that they really should've run out of excuses to omit Jean from Phoenix storylines now that Jean has actually come back, but then somehow Aaron's gonna find a way to do it anyway. He's literally had Phoenix Quentin and Phoenix Wolverine and now Phoenix Namor, but somehow, for some way, even putting Jean in the same event is gonna be asking for too much.

I'd love to be proven wrong of course. -ancient parable of comic book readers

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
In universe the Phoenix has been around for billions of years before Jean and will exist for billions of years afterwards so who cares

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

site posted:

In universe the Phoenix has been around for billions of years before Jean and will exist for billions of years afterwards so who cares

Also in universe Jean is way the gently caress more powerful than Phoenix.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

BrianWilly posted:

I just think that they really should've run out of excuses to omit Jean from Phoenix storylines now that Jean has actually come back, but then somehow Aaron's gonna find a way to do it anyway.

This was Jean's most recent interaction with the Phoenix Force.

The entire point of Jean's return was to decouple her from the Phoenix. If anything bringing her into a Phoenix story is a step backwards for her.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Yeah and that was really dumb for more reasons than I care to reiterate at the moment, but even so it doesn't mean the a major Phoenix storyline shouldn't involve her in some way given how important she's been as a host. She's literally the template for the Phoenix host that we see in the prehistoric Avengers!

Bendis also said "NO MORE PHOENIX" in AvX and the Phoenix came back pretty quick anyway so like. Y'know. Writers don't have to stick with things if there's a better reason not to.

Skwirl posted:

Also in universe Jean is way the gently caress more powerful than Phoenix.
I...don't know by what measure that statement would be true, especially since Hickman has by now for some reason also retconned it so that Jean doesn't have omega level telekinesis.

It's also a weird idea to quantify because Jean's role as the Phoenix has largely been an expression of her ultimate potential. The fact that she even can be Phoenix is an indication of her power, the concept of which gets diluted every time some writer has some other random character host the Phoenix for shoots and giggles.

Tom Taylor's idea that the Phoenix Force was holding Jean back somehow is...not terrible, but it's also really just a way to work around the mandate of Jean not being the Phoenix but still being powerful. Some writer can also just say "nah it doesn't work that way" and they'd frankly have more cause for it.

site posted:

Because, as I said, I find the idea of it being passed around like a used sweater to everyone who writers wanna give a temporary power boost to really dumb. Moreover, the idea that all these other, usually male characters can be allowed to host the Phoenix while the actual original true host is somehow, I dunno, more pure or righteous or something for giving it up feels indicative of the pervasive genre trend where women with untold power are scary crazy witches while men with untold power at their disposal get to sit on the Illuminati or whatever.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I wouldn’t get too worked up about Aaron’s super silly Avengers book. It doesn’t really effect any other books, and is just a lot of bombastic fun. I look forward to an epic confrontation between Phoenix Namor and Starbrand baby. Ghost Rider will probably get his hands on an Iron Man suit, and hellfire it up. And maybe if we’re lucky, we’ll finally get The Orb of 1,000,000 BC.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

The arc will end with Jean coming and scolding the Phoenix Force and it going away for a bit again.

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

There's nothing special about me.
I'd rather just have Hope again, but that's mostly just wanting to see more "What if Jean Grey was also Cable" and wanting to see more Cable with the Avengers.

I'm probably one of three people who I feel like actually have this opinion

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

KaosMachina posted:

I'd rather just have Hope again, but that's mostly just wanting to see more "What if Jean Grey was also Cable" and wanting to see more Cable with the Avengers.

I'm probably one of three people who I feel like actually have this opinion

Hope is a bit busy at the moment.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Or the X-Men show up at the end and are like "See? We loving told you. You tried to give us poo poo about the Phoenix, but noooo. So now you assholes deal with it."

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Codependent Poster posted:

Or the X-Men show up at the end and are like "See? We loving told you. You tried to give us poo poo about the Phoenix, but noooo. So now you assholes deal with it."

That's the opposite of how that story went, but ok.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
I tell you what, reading the latest issues of Immortal Hulk and Attack on Titan back to back was a mistake I won't be repeating in the future.

I frigging love Immortal Hulk, but now that we're onto what seems to be the next arc's villain I'm just wondering how long Ewing plans to keep it going on for. I feel like if there's a point where he starts tying it into the big endgame scenario he showed us ages back then this is the arc to really start off, but then again I've successfully predicted zero things about this entire run so what do I know?

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
I mean, it's going forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Nilbop posted:

I tell you what, reading the latest issues of Immortal Hulk and Attack on Titan back to back was a mistake I won't be repeating in the future.

I frigging love Immortal Hulk, but now that we're onto what seems to be the next arc's villain I'm just wondering how long Ewing plans to keep it going on for. I feel like if there's a point where he starts tying it into the big endgame scenario he showed us ages back then this is the arc to really start off, but then again I've successfully predicted zero things about this entire run so what do I know?

I believe they say it ends at 50