Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

I legit forgot who the opposition leader was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mattjpwns
Dec 14, 2006

In joyful strains then let us sing
ADVANCE AUSTRALIA FUCKED

hambeet posted:

I honestly couldn't tell you who the leader of WA's opposition is, either.

Mark McGowan is now pretty much a "local hero" for telling Canberra and Palmer to get hosed, judging by comment threads on articles about him anywhere.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Tim Smith and Ghislaine Maxwell are both trending on twitter and i'm not sure which would be the more popular choice to be the leader of the Victorian Liberals. I mean one literally rapes kids in a dungeon and the other is Ghislaine Maxwell.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Tim Smith and Ghislaine Maxwell are both trending on twitter and i'm not sure which would be the more popular choice to be the leader of the Victorian Liberals. I mean one literally rapes kids in a dungeon and the other is Ghislaine Maxwell.

Does Tim Smith do that? How interesting.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...

Mattjpwns posted:

I honestly couldn't tell you who the leader of WA's opposition is, either.

Mark McGowan is now pretty much a "local hero" for telling Canberra and Palmer to get hosed, judging by comment threads on articles about him anywhere.

It's.. poo poo, is it a woman? I think it's a woman. There's not a lot of opposition in WA to be fair, if anything it seems like the opposition to WA is Clive Palmer with his trying to sue us for $30 billion dollars. I think he's writing a book called 'how to sink your electoral chances in an entire state in 2 easy steps.'

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Konomex posted:

It's.. poo poo, is it a woman? I think it's a woman. There's not a lot of opposition in WA to be fair, if anything it seems like the opposition to WA is Clive Palmer with his trying to sue us for $30 billion dollars. I think he's writing a book called 'how to sink your electoral chances in an entire state in 2 easy steps.'

Liza Harvey, im pretty sure.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

NPR Journalizard posted:

Yeah, a friend was putting the boot in the other day on social media about her handling of the borders, clive & the crow.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

hambeet posted:

This was a question on Zoom trivia a few weeks ago, no one got the point.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

GoldStandardConure posted:

Yeah, a friend was putting the boot in the other day on social media about her handling of the borders, clive & the crow.

well, I suppose someone has to go for the easy targets.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

NPR Journalizard posted:

The only reason I know this is because she was obviously being groomed for leadership for about ten years with all the plushest portfolios.

Also it was super funny that her shadow cabinet was leaking against her and describing how she left the party room "aghast" when she told them that she'd unilaterally declared that WA's borders should be open back in April or whatever. Just waltzing in, shuffling some papers and announcing you'd committed political suicide on behalf of yourself and all your colleagues. loving classic.

Pikehead
Dec 3, 2006

Looking for WMDs, PM if you have A+ grade stuff
Fun Shoe
Hey, I cancelled a trip very recently because I didn't want to be a guest of Her Majesty's government in some hotel room for 14 days and pay for the privilege, but, seriously? (Alledgedly) Hiding in a truck so as to avoid 14 days in said hotel and $2500 because she was coming from COVID19 central (Victoria)?

It's interesting that the cops connected a no-show on a flight to a visit to her partner's/her home.

https://www.smh.com.au/national/western-australia/perth-woman-accused-of-hiding-in-truck-to-sneak-into-wa-from-victoria-20200813-p55lap.html

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

That's bizarre. Melbourne to Perth by truck has to be at least two and a half days even if driving non-stop, right? I'd pay $2,500 rather than be stowed away in the back of a semi sitting in the dark and pissing in a bucket.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

freebooter posted:

That's bizarre. Melbourne to Perth by truck has to be at least two and a half days even if driving non-stop, right? I'd pay $2,500 rather than be stowed away in the back of a semi sitting in the dark and pissing in a bucket.

I have done adelaide to perth in 30ish hours before. Add on another 6 or so to get from melbourne to adelaide.

Thats still a long loving time to be in the back of a truck going over the nullarbor.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Pikehead posted:

Apparently it's possible that the virus stayed alive on the packaging of chilled imported goods.

Yeah, I know their investigating that, and one of the people did work in cold storage, but still strikes me as incredibly unlikely.

Willing to be proven wrong on this, but seems like their just investigating that due to lack of other leads. Think it's still likely to just be a human to human transmission that's somehow's been missed.

Pikehead
Dec 3, 2006

Looking for WMDs, PM if you have A+ grade stuff
Fun Shoe

NPR Journalizard posted:

I have done adelaide to perth in 30ish hours before. Add on another 6 or so to get from melbourne to adelaide.

Thats still a long loving time to be in the back of a truck going over the nullarbor.

Only have to be hidden during the checkpoint inspection. Rest of the time there's no problems sitting up front.

And it's not as though the checkpoint is going to move from wherever the border is.

dr_rat posted:

Yeah, I know their investigating that, and one of the people did work in cold storage, but still strikes me as incredibly unlikely.

Willing to be proven wrong on this, but seems like their just investigating that due to lack of other leads. Think it's still likely to just be a human to human transmission that's somehow's been missed.

Yeah, I have to admit it doesn't sound likely, but they'll be able to look further into wether it's possible.

It's not like there's many other ways to get infected in NZ though.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
Not allowed to stop at the Dog on the Tucker Box on your way up from Melbourne anymore, hosed up

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
https://twitter.com/anton_labae/status/1293759961265131523

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

What.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Wait when did this happen?

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Mattjpwns
Dec 14, 2006

In joyful strains then let us sing
ADVANCE AUSTRALIA FUCKED
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-08-13/clive-palmer-wa-damages-claim-set-to-be-blocked-by-legislation/12554052

Okay, 2020, you got me. I did not expect to see "Nationals and Greens team up" in any context, ever.

Turks
Nov 16, 2006

Don't get excited, that's James Joyce not Barnaby.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Barnaby Joyce's daughter driving down the main street of Armidale reading this out over a megaphone.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Turks posted:

Oh!

Well, you've ruined my afternoon :mad:

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Lol not that Joyce

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Yeah I said yeah alright I said yeah.

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
CAAARP and the foolery is over. Now to the honourable member's questions!

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.

Mattjpwns posted:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-08-13/clive-palmer-wa-damages-claim-set-to-be-blocked-by-legislation/12554052

Okay, 2020, you got me. I did not expect to see "Nationals and Greens team up" in any context, ever.

WA Nationals are kind of a different beast and have had the occasional surprisingly not terrible candidate lately iirc

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Turks posted:

Oh. Ooohhh.

Wizard Master
Mar 25, 2008

Australian musician Nick Cave says cancel culture "has an asphyxiating effect on the creative soul of a society" and political correctness "has grown to become the unhappiest religion in the world".

In the latest edition of his online newsletter, The Red Hand Files, Cave wrote that cancel culture is "bad religion run amuck".

"As far as I can see, cancel culture is mercy’s antithesis," Cave wrote in response to a reader's question on the subject.

"Political correctness has grown to become the unhappiest religion in the world. Its once-honourable attempt to reimagine our society in a more equitable way now embodies all the worst aspects that religion has to offer (and none of the beauty) — moral certainty and self-righteousness shorn even of the capacity for redemption. It has become, quite literally, bad religion run amuck."

Cancel culture's "refusal to engage with uncomfortable ideas", according to Cave, hampers the creativeness and diversity of society. He wrote that mercy "allows us the ability to engage openly in free-ranging conversation" and acts as a "safety net of mutual consideration". Without it, "a society loses its soul, and devours itself".

"Tolerance allows the spirit of enquiry the confidence to roam freely, to make mistakes, to self-correct, to be bold, to dare to doubt and in the process to chance upon new and more advanced ideas. Without mercy, society grows inflexible, fearful, vindictive and humourless," Cave wrote.

"As far as I can see, cancel culture is mercy’s antithesis. Political correctness has grown to become the unhappiest religion in the world. Its once-honourable attempt to re-imagine our society in a more equitable way now embodies all the worst aspects that religion has to offer ... It has become, quite literally, bad religion run amuck."

Cave, who last month streamed a solo performance from London's Alexandra Palace, regularly responds to reader questions on The Red Hand Files, a website he started two years ago.

His intervention into the discussion about cancel culture comes after more than 150 writers, academics and activists signed an open letter warning about the dangers of an "intolerance of opposing views" that was now "spreading more widely in our culture".

The high-profile signatories included Harry Potter creator J.K. Rowling, The Handmaid's Tale author Margaret Atwood, feminist icon Gloria Steinem, CNN journalist Fareed Zakaria and Midnight's Children author Salman Rushdie.

In a separate letter published by this masthead, 27 signatories – including Indigenous filmmakers Warwick Thornton, Rachel Perkins, Ivan Sen and Darren Dale, writer Andrew Bovell and Hollywood star Joel Edgerton and his director brother Nash – argued that public shaming had gone too far.

This is not the first time Cave has lashed out at cancel culture. In December 2018, he condemned a cultural boycott of Israel and said playing concerts in Tel Aviv with his band the Bad Seeds did not signify support for Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s government. He accused the Boycott Divestment and Sanctions movement of attempting to “bully, shame and silence musicians”.

In his latest post, Cave said creativity was "an act of love that can knock up against our most foundational beliefs, and in doing so brings forth fresh ways of seeing the world" and this was "both the function and glory of art and ideas".

"A force that finds its meaning in the cancellation of these difficult ideas hampers the creative spirit of a society and strikes at the complex and diverse nature of its culture," Cave wrote.

"But this is where we are. We are a culture in transition, and it may be that we are heading toward a more equal society — I don’t know — but what essential values will we forfeit in the process?"

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Brain worms takes us all in the end.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Now there's a man who appreciates the farts.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Uh I mean F. Arts

As in, finer arts.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
I always knew Nick Cave was a chud.

nocturama
Dec 26, 2007

how to change user name

nocturama
Dec 26, 2007

whats the best morrissey album

Wizard Master
Mar 25, 2008

Horizon Burning posted:

I always knew Nick Cave was a chud.

Some good choons but he's always been an overly verbose private school wanker

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
and now for something I never thought I would write:

get hosed, nick cave. just gently caress off in general.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

nocturama posted:

whats the best morrissey album

this one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhl5OU7MahQ