Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

StormDrain posted:

That was a good post, I wanted to refute that statement but I would not have done it as well.

I feel similarly when people insist that homes aren't built as well now as they used to be. And perhaps they aren't, but I've lived in houses from the 1900s to the 1980s and am in construction now, things are made by people and there are quality issues with all of them. At least new houses are designed for modern wardrobes, have enough outlets, and are free from the hazards we know about like asbestos and lead paint.

I know I'm comparing quality with code, but code is the only one I have a comparison for. Not sure how to measure the decline of craftsmanship over time.

I think a lot of it is that older homes that are still standing tend to be better built, as all the lovely ones got torn down or massively remodeled.

My 1911 house is not an example of this principle tho.

Leviathan Song posted:

They seem to be uses a lot in slab foundations with plumbing underneath. I honestly don't understand how you're supposed to replace the plumbing without razing the building.

Someone in AI had an in-slab sewer connection leak, solution is to jackhammer around it, it's very expensive.

My kitchen is on a slab, at some point rather than trench it to run the sink drain, they piped it through the wall and into the gorge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

Elviscat posted:

I think a lot of it is that older homes that are still standing tend to be better built, as all the lovely ones got torn down or massively remodeled.

My 1911 house is not an example of this principle tho.

Someone in AI had an in-slab sewer connection leak, solution is to jackhammer around it, it's very expensive.

My kitchen is on a slab, at some point rather than trench it to run the sink drain, they piped it through the wall and into the gorge.

That's bad enough in a regular slab but can you even jackhammer a tension slab? Wouldn't you have to carefully avoid the cables?

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Leviathan Song posted:

That's bad enough in a regular slab but can you even jackhammer a tension slab? Wouldn't you have to carefully avoid the cables?

Yes, you x-ray it, or something similar. Looking forward to 30 years from now when yahoos are making repairs and modifications on all the lovely multifamily being built now.

Messadiah
Jan 12, 2001

Elviscat posted:

Geologically still piped into a trench

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

tinytort posted:

The pants vs shorts thing is because on a construction site (or in a factory) is because you're working with sharp materials that can cut through skin easily, as well as stuff that you don't want making skin contact. If you're wearing long pants, you're usually wearing denim jeans, which are sturdy enough to provide a good layer of protection; shorts mean bare skin from the knee to the socks.

Being able to cope with the heat better isn't worth the risk.

Maybe you missed the point, which is that different countries have different standards, norms and expectations. These australians would call you an idiot for wearing full length pants in 100 degree heat to save you from possibly getting a scratch that wouldn't need a bandage.

If I instead posted a photo of a japanese workman, someone would say that his pants are dangerously baggy, and liable to get caught on something, causing potential accidents

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Southeast Asia construction crew, everyone in sandals and shorts chain-smoking.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Sloppy posted:

Yes, you x-ray it, or something similar. Looking forward to 30 years from now when yahoos are making repairs and modifications on all the lovely multifamily being built now.

Sunken tub 2 gonna be lit

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

someone repost that video of the guys piledriving a post into the ground by stomping on a board in time to a song the foreman sings.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007
This one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shqaQopEmhY

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Ok, that was cool.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

I remember a slightly different video, but it works. thanks.

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.
The IUPAT allows painters and drywall finishers to wear shorts, but often aren't allowed by GCs due to liability insurance issues

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Slanderer posted:

If I instead posted a photo of a japanese workman, someone would say that his pants are dangerously baggy, and liable to get caught on something, causing potential accidents

I will say that those split-toe boots look great - I bet they give noticeably better control on difficult footing.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Just don't ever play that song after the house is built.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Computer viking posted:

I will say that those split-toe boots look great - I bet they give noticeably better control on difficult footing.

They come in steel toe versions too and I'll be damned if they aren't the most anime Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle thing in the world.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Megillah Gorilla posted:

They come in steel toe versions too and I'll be damned if they aren't the most anime Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle thing in the world.

If someone else foots the bill I'll wear those on patrol all day.

Loezi
Dec 18, 2012

Never buy the cheap stuff

Slanderer posted:

This thread and the OSHA thread have both revealed a bunch of trades that are done differently in America, the UK and Europe, and everyone insists they are doing it Correctly despite having maybe witnessed alternative techniques and standards once 20 years ago. With the exception of really obvious deficiencies (ring mains in the UK, US electrical plugs being unsafe (but compact)), there's rarely any data or science presented to to show why (for example) construction workers in Australia wearing shorts is an unacceptable risk compared to them wearing long pants in the US. It's fascinating watching people from around the world exchanging notes and being baffled to the point of incomprehension that someone would install a split AC instead of central AC in a home, and insist that it's impossible and no one sells them (or vice versa), despite google being a click away.

I still remember fondly that one :finland: goon house build thread where half the thread threw a collective fit over a roof access ladder that was permanently installed, as is the standard in Finland. :allears:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Loezi posted:

I still remember fondly that one :finland: goon house build thread where half the thread threw a collective fit over a roof access ladder that was permanently installed, as is the standard in Finland. :allears:

What's the alternative?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Loezi posted:

Hey that was me and I didn't think there was much fussing over my pool ladder, now the wallpaper... That got people riled up.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

His Divine Shadow posted:

Hey that was me and I didn't think there was much fussing over my pool ladder, now the wallpaper... That got people riled up.

I think it was just me, because I have good taste.

e: Oh wait Americans have some really weird notions about the existence of wallpaper, regardless of pattern.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

tater_salad posted:

More like AWORSTOS amirite?

It would be ASworstos.

I work in a construction related industry. Geotechnical and environmental drilling. I wear shorts all the time, except when I'm on a site where the overall contractor in charge of the job says they are not allowed. Railroad jobs for example. Or Big construction sites etc. Every now and then the Ministry of Labour will show up and every time I've asked the person if I'm allowed to wear shorts on a "construction site", as my sites, regardless of what is going on there are deemed to be construction sites. Thus far they've all told me that its up to whoever is in charge of the site to allow or not allow. Anecdotal story, yes, but in 17+ years, I've stabbed myself in the leg once.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Yeah but how badly.

"I've been at this job 25 years, and I've only had a leg cut off once!" :v:

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.

My Lovely Horse posted:

Yeah but how badly.

https://youtu.be/O8YfgxF3APY

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

My Lovely Horse posted:

Yeah but how badly.

Any wound that would be significantly reduced by jeans isn't going to require stitches.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Any wound that would be significantly reduced by jeans isn't going to require stitches.

That's absolute bullshit. People like you are why there's a 0 on the big sign at work.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://twitter.com/WxKanost/status/1292875141777694722

Frank Gehry’s new project looking derivative

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

:drat:

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

3D Megadoodoo posted:

That's absolute bullshit. People like you are why there's a 0 on the big sign at work.

Slanderer posted:

This thread and the OSHA thread have both revealed a bunch of trades that are done differently in America, the UK and Europe, and everyone insists they are doing it Correctly despite having maybe witnessed alternative techniques and standards once 20 years ago. With the exception of really obvious deficiencies (ring mains in the UK, US electrical plugs being unsafe (but compact)), there's rarely any data or science presented to to show why (for example) construction workers in Australia wearing shorts is an unacceptable risk compared to them wearing long pants in the US. It's fascinating watching people from around the world exchanging notes and being baffled to the point of incomprehension that someone would install a split AC instead of central AC in a home, and insist that it's impossible and no one sells them (or vice versa), despite google being a click away.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Wait what? "An incident with a pigeon?" What the hell is that about?!

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Blue Footed Booby posted:

My cat can and has torn me up enough to require stitches, but the most damage he can do through a pair of jeans is poking a claw through. Yeah, it's not going to stop a power saw in motion, but if you bump in to a sharp edge or someone leaves a tool in a bad spot a good pair of pants could definitely save you an ER visit.

Beyond stitches, basically any kind of abrasion injury will be either delayed or eliminated by protective clothing. Likewise for contact burns. Accidentally back in to the generator exhaust with your bare leg and you're probably going to have a proper burn, where if your pants hit first it'll still hurt but you have some time to react before doing real damage.

---

We can definitely debate the relative value of that level of protection versus worker comfort when working on hot climates, and I am 100% a "only wear long pants if I really have to" person, but there is no doubt that durable clothing can significantly reduce the severity of a number of minor to moderate injuries compared to bare skin.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

I've put massive holes in good pairs of jeans just by brushing up against uncapped rebar ends. They protect against minor hazards at best.

Agrinja
Nov 30, 2013

Praise the Sun!

Total Clam
I wear heavy duck pants and get burn holes and sharp metal corners all the time. I could wear lighter stuff but I'd wind up getting burnt more. Shorts are for yard work.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Agrinja posted:

I wear heavy duck pants and get burn holes and sharp metal corners all the time. I could wear lighter stuff but I'd wind up getting burnt more. Shorts are for yard work.

I worked in a factory where it was 100 degrees on the first floor and my job frequently took me to the second and third up on catwalks. The thermometer up there got close to 120

Shorts were the only way to go. I did get some small burns and cuts that jeans would have prevented, but aside from the maintenance folks, we pretty much all wore shorts.

12 hours in 100+ temps in long pants is insanity

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

The Bloop posted:

I worked in a factory where it was 100 degrees on the first floor and my job frequently took me to the second and third up on catwalks. The thermometer up there got close to 120

Shorts were the only way to go. I did get some small burns and cuts that jeans would have prevented, but aside from the maintenance folks, we pretty much all wore shorts.

12 hours in 100+ temps in long pants is insanity

Get a battery powered ball chiller that attaches to your pants!

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Leviathan Song posted:

They seem to be uses a lot in slab foundations with plumbing underneath. I honestly don't understand how you're supposed to replace the plumbing without razing the building.

Well, in the case of my house, you tunnel under from the side and route new plumbing out and around the foundation instead:

The construction fail was that they used copper from the sink, washer, and AC drains, then joined them into cast iron. The cast iron cracked, the copper was paper thing on the bottom at the join, and we had no idea how far that extended. Might have been fine if the foot or so we had access through the hole in my foundation was replaced (which it was for temporary use, since we were in there), but I decided not to gamble.

Elviscat posted:

This is true for anything that is brought up as an example of "they built it better back then. No, they built *those particular ones* better back then.

quote:

Hello!

edit: you guys got me looking at steel toe tabis, but I've got giant (for Japanese) size US13 feet. So now I'm looking at Blaklader and Jobman work pants instead....

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Aug 14, 2020

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

Get a battery powered ball chiller that attaches to your pants!

I loving wish

Ice dipped neck wrap was the best bet

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

The Bloop posted:

I loving wish

Ice dipped neck wrap was the best bet

I read a thing written by someone who used to be a costumed performer in Disneyland parades (like, inside a giant Pluto costume). He said on real hot days, they'd wear these icepack vests which was really nice at first. Then ten minutes in, it's all melted and and you're wearing a sloshy, warm water vest with a half hour to go.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I'm having my concrete patio taken out, and the good news is there's another concrete patio under my concrete patio.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Xhibit.jpg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

That was my first thought