Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should Gaj make his own thread
This poll is closed.
Yes, make a new thread 6 54.55%
No, keep things just how they are 5 45.45%
Total: 11 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

No, because people got wise after the 2007 recession and now entire industries exist to scoop up distressed properties at cheap prices and hold onto them to flip. There will be plenty of vacant housing, just not cheap housing :(

E. F, b

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
banks can delay the action of supply and demand but they can't abolish it, and houses that are actually expensive are incredibly, intensely depnedant on forever increasing housing prices. actual cash inflow from housing ownership comes from rent, and most SFBA places have annual rental yield of like 2%. so to make it back without housing price increase, you need to have continuous tenants for 50 years, never mind interest cost or oppty cost

land is the overwhelming cost on these suckers. land value is entirely a matter of politics, because land ownership is a lil packet of violence for which the state relinquishes its monopoly, the right to call the cops. so housing in these places is a 10x levered bet that the politics of these places, including the insane nimbyism, wont change for literal decades. doesn't matter if you're a bank or not

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
this is also why bets on t1 cities in the prc is a hilariously bad idea, because the political environment in the prc has changed completely in 5 years but the housing prices bake in an assumption of everything being hunky dory for about a century or like a decade of rapid property value growth in a place w rental yield like 1% and rapidly shittifying political environment

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Aug 12, 2020

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Kenning posted:

Realtalk do people anticipate a housing price collapse as the largest and best-housed generation dies off and their houses probably end up getting sold either to divide estates among children or to cover outstanding debts?

I dunno, but somehow I think when the boomers die off, retirement communities like Sun City and The Villages are going to have a hard time replacing them. Gen X'ers and Millenials will have neither the money nor the desire to live in those places.

FearCotton
Sep 18, 2012

HAPPY F!UN MAGIC ENGLISH TIEM~~~

Gaj posted:

Edit, Banks I know she has money in:

Thinking about this, my grandmother was the same way. Banks are bad, don't trust the government, why do you want details, I just want you to call all these people/figure all this stuff out, I don't know why you're making this so hard!

Meanwhile during his lifetime my grandfather went by several different names/had so many conflicting forms of documentation, that when he died we just had to pick a date for his birth.

A Boomerism that both he and my grandmother loved, though: watching Cops, Judge Judy, and similar shows, simply to judge others and crow about "trashy" people getting called out for things like fraud or breaking the law. Notably, they were perpetually in trouble for not paying their taxes and my grandfather ran an illegal bar. But it was different, because...reasons.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Gangringo posted:

Edit: Covid has made me realize how many boomers at work are in complete denial of their hearing loss and are unconsciously reading lips to understand people. I'll say something, they won't understand, I'll say it clearer and louder, they still won't understand, and the whole time I will see them looking at me more intently.

And then they get insulted when you speak to them slowly as if they were a baby.

Speaking of babies, having a tantrum and getting carried out of the grocery store by their large adult son.

https://twitter.com/davenewworld_2/status/1292984224518209537?s=09

Probably a gen-xer, but he's got strong boomer energy.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

FearCotton posted:

A Boomerism that both he and my grandmother loved, though: watching Cops, Judge Judy, and similar shows, simply to judge others and crow about "trashy" people getting called out for things like fraud or breaking the law. Notably, they were perpetually in trouble for not paying their taxes and my grandfather ran an illegal bar. But it was different, because...reasons.

An illegal bar like when Peter Griffin had his hot wife singing at a piano in his basement, or an illegal bar like an actual storefront and business?

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Schadenboner posted:

The same lovely banks will just buy them, the same way they buy every other loving house/condo?

1redflag posted:

No, because people got wise after the 2007 recession and now entire industries exist to scoop up distressed properties at cheap prices and hold onto them to flip. There will be plenty of vacant housing, just not cheap housing :(

E. F, b

I understand that this behavior will certainly take place in the short term, but the only reason you purchase an asset in that context is to sell it at a later point. Between the glut of ex-Boomer houses and the fact that I suspect COVID-19 is somewhat reducing the appeal of American real estate as an investment vehicle, I can't imagine there not being downward pressure on both housing prices and rents over the next 15-20 years.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

LabyaMynora posted:

I dunno, but somehow I think when the boomers die off, retirement communities like Sun City and The Villages are going to have a hard time replacing them. Gen X'ers and Millenials will have neither the money nor the desire to live in those places.

I understand that boomers move to these places because they hate anyone younger than them, but what other advantage is there, other than keeping those pesky 55 year old kids off of their lawns?

Betazoid
Aug 3, 2010

Hallo. Ik ben een leeuw.

Iron Crowned posted:

I understand that boomers move to these places because they hate anyone younger than them, but what other advantage is there, other than keeping those pesky 55 year old kids off of their lawns?

My Boomer relatives like the social aspect. They play pickleball, take the go-kart to visit each other, play bridge, dance at the social center, etc. They can have their homes cleaned if they need it and can ride a go-kart over to pick up milk. My relatives who enjoy this lifestyle are in their 70s, Good Boomers, and like kids but are ready to just be old and square dance occasionally. The husband also has cancer.

FearCotton
Sep 18, 2012

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

An illegal bar like when Peter Griffin had his hot wife singing at a piano in his basement, or an illegal bar like an actual storefront and business?

The latter

you broke my grill
Jul 11, 2019

Betazoid posted:

My Boomer relatives like the social aspect. They play pickleball, take the go-kart to visit each other, play bridge, dance at the social center, etc. They can have their homes cleaned if they need it and can ride a go-kart over to pick up milk. My relatives who enjoy this lifestyle are in their 70s, Good Boomers, and like kids but are ready to just be old and square dance occasionally. The husband also has cancer.

do you mean golf cart? or are those places a lot cooler than I imagined?

Betazoid
Aug 3, 2010

Hallo. Ik ben een leeuw.

you broke my grill posted:

LOL, no, golf cart. It's been a long day.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

you broke my grill posted:

Only if you like hanging around boomers.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Kenning posted:

I understand that this behavior will certainly take place in the short term, but the only reason you purchase an asset in that context is to sell it at a later point. Between the glut of ex-Boomer houses and the fact that I suspect COVID-19 is somewhat reducing the appeal of American real estate as an investment vehicle, I can't imagine there not being downward pressure on both housing prices and rents over the next 15-20 years.

Unless they all get bought up by people with money and turned into perpetual rentals.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Detective No. 27 posted:

And then they get insulted when you speak to them slowly as if they were a baby.

Speaking of babies, having a tantrum and getting carried out of the grocery store by their large adult son.

https://twitter.com/davenewworld_2/status/1292984224518209537?s=09

Probably a gen-xer, but he's got strong boomer energy.

Would absolutely have left his rear end there.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Iron Crowned posted:

It's a social thing, I think. One of her friends moved down there, and my mom visited her and began to buy in to it being both cheaper and giving her more to do in terms of activities and socialization.

Part of the reason it's cheaper is that Sun City, AZ doesn't pay taxes for any schools. Someone in this thread long, long ago mentioned that it was actually the non-retirement communities that decided to let Sun City not pay for the schools 'cuz they were sick of them voting down every referendum. Boomers love benefiting from everyone else's taxes when their kids are in school, but hate paying taxes for schools when their own kids aren't in school anymore.

Also, purely speculative, but based on some of the posts I see on Nextdoor, some old people are just terrified of teenagers and there's probably something appealing about moving somewhere where everyone under 55 is banned from living there. That's probably why that one other hosed up retirement community in AZ basically sued to force a high schooler to move after both of his parents died and he had to move in with his grandparents.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Kenning posted:

Realtalk do people anticipate a housing price collapse as the largest and best-housed generation dies off and their houses probably end up getting sold either to divide estates among children or to cover outstanding debts?

A massive housing crash that ruins lives and takes no prisoners would be the best thing to happen to me in years. The dream of owning a house could be in reach.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
https://youtu.be/B7OwC9F-xeQ

DorkusMalorkus
Aug 4, 2009

"That's not Latin!"
There's this magazine called "Closer" that is just nostalgia for old people. Last week's was like "Henry Winkler - still loving life at age 82!" or whatever. This one caught my eye today:

Spoiler alert: the "poll result" is of course just what you expect it to be:

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

DorkusMalorkus posted:

There's this magazine called "Closer" that is just nostalgia for old people. Last week's was like "Henry Winkler - still loving life at age 82!" or whatever. This one caught my eye today:

who would dare besmirch the legacy of a man who squinted harder than any actor before to play genghis khan?

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Wow! Five voters!

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

DorkusMalorkus posted:

96% approval rating every time!

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
I had a site meeting today, I was meeting a dude to show him around site because I’m taking bids for a portion of work worth ~$500,000

After walking him around getting his opinion before we parted I asked for his email he said, I don’t do that email or computer stuff, I don’t do text, you can phone me then pulled out his circa 2000 flip phone

Yeah no sorry boomer

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

Caught between two worlds...
this thread is like therapy for anyone with a moderately boomer parent. thank you to those brave souls who have shared accounts of the severely affected. every time i get frustrated with my dad from now on (dad your phones and mp3 players keep breaking because you buy them off shady websites for twenty bucks, i cannot help you with this, your pleas for technical advice only break my heart) i will think of gaj and give thanks for what i have

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

Caught between two worlds...

FearCotton posted:

Why is this older man screaming in a Sam's Club parking lot:
the fundamental question of our times

my mother's family's cultures (multiple, we have a complex history) all got subsumed into rural white australian boomerism :( nobody in our town would hire a jew or an asian, so we had to no longer be either of those: the only important thing is job! now that side of the family is completely fractured, the ones who have the money hoard it from everyone else, the ones who don't have been disowned for being lazy no-hopers (hello), my cousins have no identity except big cars and drinking, and most atrociously of all, the matriarch is being neglected by her wealthy boomer sons and lives in genteel poverty.

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out

fauna posted:

this thread is like therapy for anyone with a moderately boomer parent.

this. my parents are boomers who vote for and perpetuate the fygm attitude but my interactions are mostly pleasant enough.

it Stokes my generational anger but makes me appreciate that my parents are not the monsters some of y'all have

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Eldercain posted:

this. my parents are boomers who vote for and perpetuate the fygm attitude but my interactions are mostly pleasant enough.

it Stokes my generational anger but makes me appreciate that my parents are not the monsters some of y'all have

:same:

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

DorkusMalorkus posted:

There's something funny to me about how they just used his first name for the quote, like they knew him personally

Also I love how they're arguing he's still relevant as if he won't be all but forgotten in 10-15 years.

grittyreboot fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Aug 13, 2020

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Bet you $10 shed lose her poo poo if you came close to her property.

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice

DorkusMalorkus posted:

There's this magazine called "Closer" that is just nostalgia for old people. Last week's was like "Henry Winkler - still loving life at age 82!" or whatever.

I wondered why someone would name a magazine for seniors "closer" when the first thing that made me think of is "every issue brings you closer to death!" but it seems to be a spin-off of a British magazine with the same name that's just normal tabloid trash? Weird.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Let me tell you about the aunt and uncle.

They're currently driving from Alabama to Montana. Yes, they're Boomers doing unnecessary travel at this time, but that's only the tip of the iceberg. The aunt is good health AFAIK. She's not one to get checkups or anything. She would qualify as overweight, if not obese.

But let's talk about the uncle. He's obese and has used a scooter for years. (He can walk and probably get out of the scooter permanently with exercise, but you know.) He has congestive heart failure and a hernia, a bad one. It was so bad that combined with the heart condition, they couldn't fix it in emergency surgery a few months ago. They patched him up with a truss. He's been warned that a rupture could be fatal.

They wanted to make this trip earlier this year, but he fell sick in Missouri and they had to turn around and go home. That trip was in May, so it was already in the teeth of the virus. They also like cruises and are already planning their next one. Neither believe any medical advice given on his ailments, so you know they're not going to wear masks.

Their kids are all dumber than rocks, so I doubt any of the three raised objections.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Sounds like the issue will resolve without treatment.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

RC and Moon Pie posted:

They're currently driving from Alabama to Montana. Yes, they're Boomers doing unnecessary travel at this time, but that's only the tip of the iceberg. The aunt is good health AFAIK. She's not one to get checkups or anything. She would qualify as overweight, if not obese.

But let's talk about the uncle. He's obese and has used a scooter for years. (He can walk and probably get out of the scooter permanently with exercise, but you know.) He has congestive heart failure and a hernia, a bad one. It was so bad that combined with the heart condition, they couldn't fix it in emergency surgery a few months ago. They patched him up with a truss. He's been warned that a rupture could be fatal.

For the uncle who sounds like he is one complication away from being immobilized or dead, dying on a trip while he can still go on trips would be better than just waiting for death at home.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Kenning posted:

Nope. Most Boomer housing is gonna get claimed by banks and corresponding oligarch interests and force a perpetual rent market.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Gaj posted:

Its incredibly easy to bait him into a screaming fit these days, he always needs to dominate and win a conversation so I just keep saying "no" in a soft tone while smiling and then he just screams more and more until his face goes red and he starts to hyperventilate. He has almost passed out twice this year screaming at me because he cant think to stop, he has to win the screaming match even if hes the only one screaming. It is physically impossible for him to stop screaming because he thinks louder=more dominance and when I point out hes a fat, weak, sick man and Im not afraid of him any more he starts foaming at the mouth and cant even talk or breath.
So all you need to do is bait him into a big enough screaming match that his heart gives out?

FearCotton
Sep 18, 2012

fauna posted:

the fundamental question of our times

my mother's family's cultures (multiple, we have a complex history) all got subsumed into rural white australian boomerism :( nobody in our town would hire a jew or an asian, so we had to no longer be either of those: the only important thing is job!

Yep!

All that remains really is just superstitions, random holiday things, and some old recipes.

And, you know, stories for therapy.

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006

Collateral Damage posted:

So all you need to do is bait him into a big enough screaming match that his heart gives out?

One of the things that had me quit working for him, (hey I learned a lot about NYC building code/apartment renovations/managing an office) was that almost every day he'd complain about one employee, Alex. Alex is a high-functioning alcoholic, but he has a lot of friends in the DOB and with other expediter offices. If we need something filed, TODAY, we gave it to Alex because he would get it done. Now the other half the time he couldnt come to work because hes hung over, or hed be puking in the office. Alex was still paid as a full time, 70k a year (I did the offices taxes).

Everyday Boomerous would rant about Alex. Everyday. For about an hour. So if everyone else was in the field, and it was just me and Boomerous in the office, he would just be ranting about Alex, constantly. Hes a thief, hes stealing from me (by not working all the time), hes lazy, disrespectful blah blah. I can kinda agree, having a functional alcoholic as a point man is a bad thing. But Boomerous would rant and rant, and hed demand that I stop working, and look him in the eye while he ranted about Alex. I would no be able to work for hours because I had to STOP and listen to him rant and repeat the same lines, day after day. So one day I say:

G-Boomerous, I dont care, you complain about Alex everyday, you say the same thing, you arent doing anything by yelling at me about Alex.
B-NO I AM TEACHING YOU, I AM SHOWING YOU HOW TO SOLVE PROBLEMS WITH lovely EMPLOYEES
G-No, your just complaining, your not doing anything, your just dumping your emotional poo poo on me and I dont care, deal with it.
B-NO YOU HAVE TO LISTEN TO ME BECAUSE YOU HAVE TO LEARN HOW TO DEAL WITH...
G-Fire him. There, just loving fire him and hire someone else. Now how about you do that and solve the problem, since your the boss. Do you want me to fire Alex I can do that when he comes back from the DOB?
B-*CRICKETS*

The next day..

B-ALEX IS A loving LAZY PIECE OF poo poo AND STEALING FROM ME....

Repeat for 2 years. He just needs to yell, every day. Hed get to full force screaming to the point of almost fainting himself because he HAS to yell. And if you point out his yelling is meaning less and solves nothing, he would start to scream more. Do you want to yell at me for 2 hours about people you hate, or do you want to do this paper work so I can file this apartment renovation and we can get paid 5 grand? No its more important for me to listen to him scream about how he hates his employees.

Why couldnt Boomerous fire Alex? The only other employee is Val, and hes incredibly bipolar. LIke every ten years he goes off his meds, marries a prostitute, and buys 100k car. The last time he had a breakdown, Val called me at 11:30 at night, rambling that we had to burn the office down because the FBI was coming to get us. Boomerous loves Val because val cant operate alone, and Boomerous "nurtures" him. Boomerous has never yelled at Val, never screamed around Val. And Boomerous has always told me to treat Val with a soft touch. Val brought in 200k in business to the office, so Val was treated better than his own son.

If Boomerous was working at Chernobyl, hed be Dyatlov. Boomerous would yell and yell that you need to stop distracting him with those stupid 3.5 rotgens, and the more you bring it up the more hed yell at you about your rudeness and disobedience. Hed keep screaming as he pukes, pulling himself up while wiping away the bile, and scream at you that its your fault that hes so upset as to puke.

Gaj fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Aug 13, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
I know you can't but I'd probably pay money for a reality show that's just a taping of a standard day at the office with Ur Boomer.