Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Pipe
Good boy(?)
Better boy(?)
Best boy(?)
View Results

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
Yeah, this would have been the "everybody dies" bit if Kabu hadn't done the limiter release. But since he did, it broke the whole game and now the whole metaplot under which the humans have lived for years is in peril.

His doing the limit release is what turned the big thrilling apocalypse into a joke.

Speculation: Kabu somehow gets a message out of robot jail and Natsume has to find a way out of the giant Earth bubble and into the spaceship to rescue him.

Mirage fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Aug 7, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9emVslQhuBY

Anyone know what this is about? Episode 5.5, but no English subtitles. Just got uploaded by Kadokawa not even an hour ago.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Electric Phantasm posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9emVslQhuBY

Anyone know what this is about? Episode 5.5, but no English subtitles. Just got uploaded by Kadokawa not even an hour ago.

It's just a recap of the first 5 eps.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3jR1YTV__U

:hmmyes:

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
It's interesting that the Tankers in the Power had coats that looked like they were made by the rolling gadoll that they fought underground.

They also have the pics for the Stargate on the website:

http://decadence-anime.com/en/special-gadoll.html

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Well this thing sure was a pleasant surprise. Weird anime with hyper-cute art styles like Kaiba are my jam so it was nice to see something similar used here. Also I love how fast the plot is moving with major plot twists happening in episode 2 that would take several seasons to get to in other shows.

Legitimately wondering where this is going now that robo-dad got bird murdered.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
Birdered, one might say.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

I'm still expecting an asspull, but Kamina's VA is like the Sean Bean of Anime right? Or was that somebody else?

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

There's no reason to believe Kaburagi is dead. He had his limiter on when he got zapped, and dying with your limiter off doesn't kill you unless you turn it way up (see the episode where he asked his protege not to turn it above 20%), which we don't know he did. Hell, for all we know the lightning only KO'd his avatar, not killed it. All this isn't to say that it's impossible he died, only that what we've seen so far doesn't really imply it.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Yeah, asspull is overstating it. There's also the plain narrative hole that nobody else would know what happened.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Personally my theory is that Boss's human body is toast but his robo-body will escape and join the humans in order to start a real resistance. This would explain the few seconds of him fighting in robot form you see in the OP.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
The preview for the next ep is on the main website and all speculation on this is answered swiftly.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Some reference to this comic popped into my head, mostly the *VOIP*, and it's slightly more relevant than I realized.

Also, it's old enough to drive a car.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
I wonder if this is going to turn into Kabu and the folks within the game trying to act out a dramatic storyline that keeps the bosses happy while most of them not knowing they're playing part

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
I really like how much this episode is building on the cyborg society. Especially the touch that all the management cyborgs have the same body model.

And how much Natsume has changed Kabu.

Loved the outcome of the Kabu/Donatello fight. I'm sure his gang are going to be core to the finale given they're in the OP

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Aug 12, 2020

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I definitely get the impression that Kaburagi doesn't want to talk to Natsume just to reassure her, but to reassure himself. He's come to think of her as the ideas person who can find hope in a hopeless situation.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Ah, I had a suspicion that despite the way they're drawn, the cyborgs were physical and not virtual (the broken one in the ruins at the very beginning, them having to physically refuel), I guess this episode confirms it.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

They said he can't use his old account but what's stopping him from making the same appearance again, or similar enough so that people would recognize him?

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

They said he can't use his old account but what's stopping him from making the same appearance again, or similar enough so that people would recognize him?

they're using real bodies, i wouldn't think there'd be a full-on character creator

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Tales of Woe posted:

they're using real bodies, i wouldn't think there'd be a full-on character creator

Didn't they say in an earlier episode that they could customize their human avatars?

Edit: Or that might have just been the elites, I need to go back and look again.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Tales of Woe posted:

There are customization shops in game and they can sculpt the gadolls so I dont see why they couldn't alter the gears look at character creation

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Cyborg buttrape and poo poo mines. I was feeling nauseous through the whole thing.

I hope that gadoll in the manufacturing facility gets rescued and becomes pals with Pipe.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

I just wonder if the the new avatar of Kabu is going to be a character we recognize already.

Seizon
Oct 10, 2011

IShallRiseAgain posted:

I just wonder if the the new avatar of Kabu is going to be a character we recognize already.

I'd be more inclined to believe this if they'd hit 'continue'

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I just want to see the humans react to the real bodies of the cyborgs.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

Sindai posted:

I just want to see the humans react to the real bodies of the cyborgs.

I'm hoping the cyborgs are actually 5 inches tall, and people just see them as toys.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Maxwell Adams posted:

I'm hoping the cyborgs are actually 5 inches tall, and people just see them as toys.

take another look at the very first minute of the series

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

That feel when the guy you're fighting rips apart your head exposing your brain, and then you fall into sewage

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Heh, poo poo for brains

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

So, I don't think anyone's mentioned this but since they're called cyborgs that means they have a biological component to them.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
It's been brought up.

They're post humans.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Nitrousoxide posted:

So, I don't think anyone's mentioned this but since they're called cyborgs that means they have a biological component to them.

Somebody posted the entry from the website glossary that said cyborg doesn't have the meaning it used to have anymore.
They are completely mechanical now.

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.
I was of the opinion that the brain part was a human brain, since in the episode with Mikey there was a scene that looked like when a cyborg is trashed/reaches end of service they take out that part and put it in a new body. And it would go together with them saying the cyborgs belong to the system and the company behind the system acquiring the rights to humanity.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Xelkelvos posted:

It's this, I think. Now, there could be an argument that they can't be cyborgs as these aren't human bodies at this point and are just consciousnesses in a shell, but that's basically semantics about what constitutes a cyborg.

The website touches on this:

http://decadence-anime.com/en/special-glossary.html posted:

Cyborgs

Originally meant humans who had some part of their bodies changed to machinery, but gradually the trend shifted towards mechanizing the entire body. Though they are still called Cyborgs, they are quite different beings compared to the early Cyborgs.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Aha, I knew Kaburagi's squad had to be in the OP for more reason than just misdirection. Though it explains why Kabu's old partner has such a low opinion of him, because if they've been in the Poop Jail this entire time, then Kaburagi is the only one who actually sold out, drat.

I wonder if the show will ever go back and elaborate on Kabu's relationship with Minato, since they don't actually seem to relate to each other much.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

this makes me think that there is still some human inside them left, but not in a clean "some of the body is mechanical" sort of way. like they've replaced so much of their bodies with machine that whatever biological components are still left makes up some 5% of the body or something, if they were just humans that kept becoming machines until they were 100% machine i think the description would say something like "Though they are still called Cyborgs, they've progressed into being entirely machine" rather than this more ambiguous wording.

so yeah, maybe they've still got a human brain, or at least part of their brain is still biological

Caros
May 14, 2008

ninjewtsu posted:

this makes me think that there is still some human inside them left, but not in a clean "some of the body is mechanical" sort of way. like they've replaced so much of their bodies with machine that whatever biological components are still left makes up some 5% of the body or something, if they were just humans that kept becoming machines until they were 100% machine i think the description would say something like "Though they are still called Cyborgs, they've progressed into being entirely machine" rather than this more ambiguous wording.

so yeah, maybe they've still got a human brain, or at least part of their brain is still biological

If I had to guess, they are probably ship of thesus cyborgs, humans who replaced bit by bit until it was all artificial built upon a human consciousness.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

my thinking is that if they were that, they'd straight up say "these guys are 100% machine" instead of leaving the wording ambiguous. i think we're kinda meant to be looking at them and going "ok so where is the human under all of this?" rather than "so they're basically androids"

i think they're like, one step away from being ship of thesus cyborgs

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
We're obviously supposed to see them as human enough to sympathize with the downtrodden of them.

That's probably all that really matters though I wouldn't be surprised if this ends with Kabu and some others breaking their limiters so much they end up back in "human" bodies permanently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

ninjewtsu posted:

my thinking is that if they were that, they'd straight up say "these guys are 100% machine" instead of leaving the wording ambiguous. i think we're kinda meant to be looking at them and going "ok so where is the human under all of this?" rather than "so they're basically androids"

i think they're like, one step away from being ship of thesus cyborgs

It's a semantics/philosophical thing, I feel. (Also remember that it's a translation, albeit a rather professional one so there might be room for error.) Is human consciousness something that is considered another component of the human body or is it distinct and separate? Put another way, if this was a reverse situation where it was a human body (say put into a vegetative state for some reason) and a new AI consciousness was implanted into the body, would it be an android or a cyborg?