Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

RottenK posted:

it's an ok puzzle game and that's that

It is remarkably pretty and has a lot of quite clever light and shadow and pareidolia tricks

I don't think it's actually using all those assets to fuckin say anything but it is full of aesthetically pleasant brain scritches in a way that probably took a lot of time to put together and couldn't be achieved in another medium

I don't know, Blow is a dipshit but I file him away next to Eastwood in my brain, phenomenal within their medium, shame they keep talking

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Crossposting from the Kickstarter thread, some info about Imagos Softworks, developer for the perpetually delayed Starr Mazer mostly about their lead Don Thacker. The thread touches a little on the litigation people may remember from a few years ago.
https://twitter.com/castpixel/status/1292372627869376513?s=19

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Aug 12, 2020

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Endorph posted:

he said some pretty racist things about japanese devs but it was mostly 'japanese devs dont know how to make games' so more inferred racism than upfront racism

This was a common sentiment for a few years in the 7th gen, but looking back it's a bit funny since the only long term impact it had was Keiji Inafune torpedoing his career.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Motto posted:

This was a common sentiment for a few years in the 7th gen, but looking back it's a bit funny since the only long term impact it had was Keiji Inafune torpedoing his career.
and all the game series capcom outsourced to western devs, but that was kind of also an inafune special that lingered even after he left capcom.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007
I can't think of any of those Japanese IPs outsourced to western devs that ended up getting a good game out of the deal.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Kchama posted:

I can't think of any of those Japanese IPs outsourced to western devs that ended up getting a good game out of the deal.

Lost Planet 3 was alright, just very different. But then 2 was very different from 1 as well, to say nothing of EX Troopers.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

dead rising 2 lost the charm of the original but it was okay enough. and the bionic commando reboot was a fun game that had an incredibly bad aesthetic and presented itself really poorly. (its actually pretty funny but you would not get that impression at all from first booting it up)

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Motto posted:

Apparently, Inafune has been a major part of the Azure Striker Gunvolt series since it started as the action supervisor, and he seems to be responsible for why the game plays really well. He still seems to be getting some work and doing well with it, so there's that!

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
I wonder what happened with MN9 to have it turn out like it did, did Inafune just not care to actually supervise the developement? He clearly still knows how to make a good game.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

RottenK posted:

I wonder what happened with MN9 to have it turn out like it did, did Inafune just not care to actually supervise the developement? He clearly still knows how to make a good game.

They wanted to fast-forward MN9 into the spotlight as the new Mega Man, so they tried to make it for everything, which you cannot do on a shoestring budget. Just making it for the separate architectures of the PS3 and Wii U was probably too much for them. There was no focus, and the game suffered for it.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

RottenK posted:

It established a precedent that if you ever see a kickstarter promise ports to every platform under the sun, you should immediately reconsider backing the project.

Bloodstained, which was by all accounts a very well managed project with clear communication with the community and a strong creative focus, nearly got torpedoed by the effort of trying to port to Switch while also doing their initially planned platform releases, and fixing the Switch port has taken so long that they had to delay their planned post-release support by months and months to get the Switch port up to snuff.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
MN9 over-promised, basically - they way over-committed on supported platforms, they cornered themselves into supporting ultimately worthless features like online multiplayer and all the physical backer rewards chewed up a significant portion of their already-small budget.

Inafune also left most of the actual day-to-day game design work to relative novices from his studio - he and the other veterans they touted as part of the kickstarter weren't all that hands-on, nor were Inti Creates' people who clearly do just fine on their own.

Kanos posted:

It established a precedent that if you ever see a kickstarter promise ports to every platform under the sun, you should immediately reconsider backing the project.

Bloodstained, which was by all accounts a very well managed project with clear communication with the community and a strong creative focus, nearly got torpedoed by the effort of trying to port to Switch while also doing their initially planned platform releases, and fixing the Switch port has taken so long that they had to delay their planned post-release support by months and months to get the Switch port up to snuff.

I'd argue the Switch version being bad is definitely a case of poor management - they had a reputable support studio signed on from the beginning to handle lower-spec versions for Wii U and PC, and if they'd thought ahead they could've canned those versions much earlier and had them do the Switch port. I think they were just afraid to piss people off by dropping platform support so they waited until the last possible moment to do it, but it's not like they ever showed or offered updates on those versions anyway. (MN9 also didn't show their 3DS/Vita version and never bothered to cancel it or refund people.)

Bloodstained's production had its hiccups, mostly due to scale - Inti Creates were supposed to make the game but they bailed around a year in because they worked too slowly, then the asset studio they had working on the game after that didn't do great work and they had to bring in Wayforward to finish it up and do a visual pass, and even now you can clearly tell which environments/rooms got brushed up and which didn't.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

also inafune had that other project Red Ash which he was simultaneously half-assing

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
The idea with Red Ash was that it would coincide with MN9's launch but then MN9 got delayed again, they weren't supposed to overlap.

The studio doing the actual work on Red Ash wasn't the same one making MN9 so I don't know that one necessarily impacted the other too heavily, especially since we don't know if they ever genuinely started work on it or not - they said they had a Chinese investor funding the game but I don't think they offered a single update once their campaign ended so it may have been face-saving bullshit.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

by actual work i assume you mean the single room they made where you could kick the can and talk to one NPC

Doc V
Mar 20, 2010

Kanos posted:

Incidentally, both MN9 and Bloodstained kickstarters involved sex pest Ben Judd, whose company Dangen has been in the headlines for screwing indie developers out of their earnings. I wouldn't be surprised if they got signed on with a "you plan the campaign and get to keep X% of whatever money you raise for us" type of deal and then pushed the devs to promise more and more features knowing that they wouldn't be the ones dealing with the fallout if the whole thing crashed and burned.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

The Red Ash anime short was pretty fun, at least.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Games firm Rocksteady accused of lack of action on harassment.

The Graun posted:

More than half of the women employed at the London-based video game developer Rocksteady two years ago signed a letter to bosses accusing the studio of failing to prevent sexual harassment and inappropriate behaviour in the office, the Guardian can reveal.

The letter, dated November 2018 and signed by 10 of the company’s 16 female staff at the time, raised complaints about behaviour including “slurs regarding the transgendered community” and “discussing a woman in a derogatory or sexual manner with other colleagues”, and sexual harassment “in the form of unwanted advances, leering at parts of a woman’s body, and inappropriate comments in the office”.

Since then it is claimed that the response has amounted to one training seminar, and that multiple signatories have left the company owing to the lack of action.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sG6QVmYGddQ

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
https://twitter.com/RocksteadyGames/status/1296132223612182531

i have never seen such "brave" actions. holy gently caress. what bunch of dumb asses. incase its not clear. they probably faked this letter.

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

Dapper_Swindler posted:

https://twitter.com/RocksteadyGames/status/1296132223612182531

i have never seen such "brave" actions. holy gently caress. what bunch of dumb asses. incase its not clear. they probably faked this letter.
locked replies lmfao

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Elephant Parade posted:

locked replies lmfao

yeah exactly. this is genuinely the worst handling i have seen. like at least ubisoft made vague promises and fired a bunch of assholes. these fucks can't even do that.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

This seems a little too convenient.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
More effort went into their lovely ARG than this response to the credible accusations of a toxic workplace environment.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Elephant Parade posted:

locked replies lmfao

twitter allowing locked replies is one of the worst things they've done on that site

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jaAeTaG_ms

Rocksteady? Who is Rocksteady? My name is Female Incognito!

EDIT: Realistically, this was probably not outright fabricated but just something they pressured them to do, which is equally lovely, just in a different way!

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

This is going to blow up in Rocksteady and WB's face so bad. It's a ticking time bomb right now.

---

---

---

---

---

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Hey Rocksteady what happened to the guy who was alleged to grope and sexually harass his coworkers, anything happen with that guy

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Yeesh, this feels like some "blink twice" poo poo.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Hey Rocksteady what happened to the guy who was alleged to grope and sexually harass his coworkers, anything happen with that guy

A promotion, knowing this industry.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

ErrEff posted:

This is going to blow up in Rocksteady and WB's face so bad. It's a ticking time bomb right now.

---

---

---

---

---

this close to Riot studios level crappiness. i assume heads are gonna role since this is hitting days before WB big show. probably not this week but probably after. i am sure there are some angry zoom calls right now. hopefully poo poo will be fixed because just like national politics, shits ignored until its not and then its a poo poo show.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Wow, so it turns out people calling out the sexist dialogue in the Arkham games were right all along. Shocking.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

Wow, so it turns out people calling out the sexist dialogue in the Arkham games were right all along. Shocking.

Do you have some examples of this? I know people were calling out the outfits but I’ve never seen anyone say the dialogue was sexist.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

RatHat posted:

Do you have some examples of this? I know people were calling out the outfits but I’ve never seen anyone say the dialogue was sexist.

I vaguely remember some hubbub about enemies yelling "you bitch" to catwoman over and over.

this is what I remember and it's pretty mild? there is a hulk review (hey remember that poo poo?) but I'm not linking it because it sucks.

Famethrowa fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Aug 20, 2020

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

There was a lot written around the time Arkham City came out primarily about the heavy usage of gendered insults among other issues with outfits etc.:https://kotaku.com/batman-arkham-citys-weird-bitch-fixation-5851358

Anyway now I'm going to post the skin swap because it's funny
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rLAomWxuQI&t=561s

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Aug 20, 2020

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Hub Cat posted:

There was a lot written around the time Arkham City came primarily about the heavy usage of gendered insults among other issues with outfits etc.:https://kotaku.com/batman-arkham-citys-weird-bitch-fixation-5851358

love clicking on that article and seeing the top comment being from someone named "Demosthenes" saying "Femininity is submissive by nature"

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

https://twitter.com/gootecks/status/1296225364180525056

Posting this here, Gootecks is a piece of poo poo, RIP pogChamp

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I honestly didn't think there was anyone still unironically touting hydroxychloroquine.

TheArchimage
Dec 17, 2008

Viewtiful Jew posted:

I honestly didn't think there was anyone still unironically touting hydroxychloroquine.

Why would they stop? They're right wingers, a little thing like "it doesn't work" isn't going to change their minds.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
The main Arkham series had a really weird tempo with gender, never helped by the core IP. This will be a summary of that arc, so content warnings apply.

Asylum had 3 female characters total, Harley Quinn, who is comedy relief, one who gets fridged, and the other's poison ivy, who isn't handled well, iirc, but not as badly as it could be. Character designs for Harley and Ivy were quite bad (Ivy has sort of...leaf underwear), but this was not particularly noticed at the time. There were a number of incidental female civilian characters who were perfectly fine, iirc (this was a pattern across the series suggesting the people doing the side writing were fine, the problem was senior creatives).

City was really, really terrible about gender. Catwoman gets vague rapethreats during combat ("I can't wait to make you meow for me" or some such poo poo), a plunging neckline, kissing enemies during combat grabs, etc. She has significant agency in her plot arc, but she's pretty alone in that regard. Poison Ivy is a side character, but she's depicted as a sort of man-hater. Harley Quinn has a much bigger role in both the main game and DLC, and this is a nightmare of ditz stereotypes, ineffectual combat, mental illness, and a false pregnancy. All these characters have male-gazey costumes, and concept art for Harley was basically a variety of bondage outfits, with designer notes that were really explicitly objectifying. Talia Al Ghul exists as a fridgeable plot device. As before, female characters that weren't plot central were fine.

Arkham Origins is a different developer. Skipping.

Knight is...a mess.

There is a very clear effort by people involved in writing and scripting some parts of the game to avoid, reverse, or dial down the sexism. Poison Ivy still has plant panties, but there's a very clearly deliberate effort for the camera to avoid the male gaze in cutscenes (and she's almost exclusively in cutscenes). The entire mind control sexiness element is gone...but then she's used up as a plot sacrifice.

Catwoman still has a plunging neckline, but she also has a ton of lines and a character arc that comment on submissive "woman as prize" tropes and basically clowns on the Riddler for being an MRA...except you do still rescue her, and your reward at the end is a kiss.

Harley Quinn gets some development in a prequel episode and is depicted as generally competent...except that Joker comes back and ruins her - plus she's depicted in a ridiculous skintight latex number in a flashback DLC.

Barbara Gordon is depicted fine; you play as a clearly empowered Batgirl in a flashback and her clothes stay on for the seemingly ubiquitous Killing Joke plot recital, but...well, there's a Killing Joke plot recital. And then she's kidnapped. And you get to watch a hallucination of her off herself. To torture you.

You get the idea. It's like there's an active war going on in each development unit between Comics Sexism as Usual and people actively pushing back, to variable outcomes. My best guess (especially in retrospect) is that there was someone involved either really early on in a senior role that was specifically on a mission to rebut the sexism of the first game, but that they left or had limited authority or just stopped trying at some point.

Now, to some extremely limited degree, you can defend some of the above as a function of the core IP and gameplay systems- all NPCs in a Batman game wind up getting killed, beaten up, or as objectives to rescue (sometimes all three!), but...The general narrative and design pattern for the major female characters is way worse than the men.

All of this is frustrating because it's yet another developer I liked that I'm never going to touch again. I'm 3 for 3 so far...someone check in on Stephen Lavelle.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Aug 20, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

"The pandemic is over" says fighting game player who is pissy he can't play Street Fighter IV while thousands of people die a day.