Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
It’s hard to argue that total warhammer 2 isn’t too big when no matter what faction you play at least half of the map ends up completely immaterial to your campaign yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
That said TW2 is the total war game I would play to my dying day if I had to make that choice and I wouldn’t even have to remotely think about that

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
Eh, this particular critique of TW games doesn't work in Paradox thread. What percentage of acting characters do you even see during your CK2 campaign?

TW campaign structure is weak cause it has few systems making hegemon gameplay interesting. Even in EU4, a game with a very basic internal politics, you still have interesting problems when you can beat 5 strongest countries in a war at the same time. You have to juggle truces, coalitions, vassal liberty desires and so on. In TW your expansion seems to only be limited by the fact it's tiresome to move more than 20 units around. Warhammer has scripted chaos invasion that may provide additional challenge, but still once you survive the initial challenge - bam, you're the strongest faction in the world, nothing can stop you now. But 80% of your campaign is still ahead of you, hope you like watching turns passing by.

3K is much better in that regard cause somehow it has an interesting strategic gameplay. Attila too, somehow. It's even surprising to me that those games are made by the same people who make other TW games.

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!

Torrannor posted:

I have a ton of Medieval 2 playtime, it's by far my most played historical TW game. But mainly because I played the Third Age Middle Earth mod to death. They can release Medieval 3, it will never replace Total Warhammer 2 as my most played TW game.

Total Warhammer 3 will probably have that honor then.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Ham posted:

Total Warhammer 3 will probably have that honor then.

That's totally possible, but I'm not a big Chaos fan, so it depends on what else they will put into it, and how well a Mortal Empires like campaign plays.

It's pretty interesting that I was mainly excited for TW2 for giving me access to the factions I wanted to play but weren't in TW1, but CK3 reduces start dates and takes away all non-feudal/tribal rulers, yet I'm still supremely excited for it. Of course they picked the two start dates that I played as 98% of the time (until the Iron Century date came out), so that helps. But the mechanical overhauls are just so amazing, I'm very glad that it will be out in less than three weeks.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Speaking of Crusader Kings, the second preview stream is live now.

Vastakaiun
Apr 16, 2008

That was a super fun stream.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

ilitarist posted:

Eh, this particular critique of TW games doesn't work in Paradox thread. What percentage of acting characters do you even see during your CK2 campaign?

TW campaign structure is weak cause it has few systems making hegemon gameplay interesting. Even in EU4, a game with a very basic internal politics, you still have interesting problems when you can beat 5 strongest countries in a war at the same time. You have to juggle truces, coalitions, vassal liberty desires and so on. In TW your expansion seems to only be limited by the fact it's tiresome to move more than 20 units around. Warhammer has scripted chaos invasion that may provide additional challenge, but still once you survive the initial challenge - bam, you're the strongest faction in the world, nothing can stop you now. But 80% of your campaign is still ahead of you, hope you like watching turns passing by.

3K is much better in that regard cause somehow it has an interesting strategic gameplay. Attila too, somehow. It's even surprising to me that those games are made by the same people who make other TW games.

I think one of the interesting aspects of CK is because you only ever directly manage 10 or so counties at max, no matter how big your empire gets, the map never feels "too big" because you aren't having to micromanage more and more territory that you don't really care about beyond the fact that it makes more money flow in. The thing that makes TW games slog as you get bigger is the need to constantly order more and more armies around and manage more and more build queues for towns, which is why often people just come up with some sort of template that they will slap down everywhere and that raises the question of if there's no interesting decisions to be made, why can't I just automate it? The fact that CK is all about delegation makes it very unique and also keeps it from suffering this issue - if you find you have too many vassals and it's getting annoying to manage them all, you can always consolidate them under a king. Of course this carries risks because one very strong vassal is more dangerous than a bunch of weak ones, but that's what makes it an interesting decision.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Here's the archived stream: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/707991173

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

for those of us at work, anything new?

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!

a fatguy baldspot posted:

for those of us at work, anything new?

A lot more demonstration of the scheme system which is quite robust, a good preview of combat with the emphasized terrain effects, they got schooled by the AI in war. And a whole bunch of fuckery.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Ham posted:

they got schooled by the AI in war.

And a whole bunch of fuckery.

These two things are very related.

But watching that cascading series of avoidable fuckups was very Losing Is Fun, I think? CK was always the Paradox series that understood that idea the best.

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Aug 12, 2020

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Holy Wars costing piety and requiring a pious reputation seems like a big change. Now just bordering holy war targets doesn't mean free duchies forever. They couldn't even declare a county-level holy war thanks to all the piety they lost for being a cynical incestuous adulterous schemer.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Aug 12, 2020

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!

Dallan Invictus posted:

These two things are very related.

But watching that cascading series of avoidable fuckups was very Losing Is Fun, I think? CK was always the Paradox series that understood that idea the best.

2 gold :cripes:

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGpoicZOeTA

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I think one of the interesting aspects of CK is because you only ever directly manage 10 or so counties at max, no matter how big your empire gets, the map never feels "too big" because you aren't having to micromanage more and more territory that you don't really care about beyond the fact that it makes more money flow in.

The fact that CK is all about delegation makes it very unique and also keeps it from suffering this issue - if you find you have too many vassals and it's getting annoying to manage them all, you can always consolidate them under a king. Of course this carries risks because one very strong vassal is more dangerous than a bunch of weak ones, but that's what makes it an interesting decision.

Yeah, other games have the ability to delegate management of the far flung corners of your empire, but they always make you feel like you are playing wrong for doing so. Like in other games, sure, you can have the AI manage a city you don’t care about, but the button always seems tacked on so that it feels like you are lazy and missing part of the game if you pick it. And that doesn’t even go in to the crappy job the AI does.

In CK, the delegation is an organic part of the game where you are supposed to let your buddies take care of things is part of the core design of the game and managing how much you empower them and deciding if you want them to thrive (and thus possibly build a power base that can rival yours) or to keep them weaker than you and just not screw up your other plans is a part of the fun that you miss out on by not delegating.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Sindai posted:

Holy Wars costing piety and requiring a pious reputation seems like a big change. Now just bordering holy war targets doesn't mean free duchies forever. They couldn't even declare a county-level holy war thanks to all the piety they lost for being a cynical incestuous adulterous schemer.

good, hopefully they've also given catholics some way to expand into other catholics so you dont have to play a game on the frontier to get into lots of wars.

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!

good, hopefully they've also given catholics some way to expand into other catholics so you dont have to play a game on the frontier to get into lots of wars.

Claim shenanigans is the premiere way of expanding for christians and I hope they don't change that - sure, it's less frequent than holy wars but that makes sense for the era.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Ham posted:

Claim shenanigans is the premiere way of expanding for christians and I hope they don't change that - sure, it's less frequent than holy wars but that makes sense for the era.

i guess. i just feel like if the guy next to me is mad low piety and three bastard children i should get permission from the pope to take his poo poo

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Maybe if you had a hook on another realm's chancellor you could get them to help you fabricate a claim? I dunno if that would make sense, but I'd like some options to sabotage a rival's realm by getting hooks on his councillors in general, apart from the spymaster. Marshals could stifle recruiting or training, stewards could embezzle funds, chaplains could ruin their relationship with the pope/religious head.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Like Ham says, the answer you're apparently supposed to use is "claim shenanigans" (either fabricating or marrying into them), but IIRC some of the "unjust conquest" CBs that were added in Jade Dragon (conquest for counties that you need to form a duchy not held by someone, force-vassalizing a neighbour of lower rank) have been revealed to be locked behind Diplomacy lifestyle perks. I haven't seen if they've brought back the generic "border dispute" CB anywhere yet?

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
I think that claim fabrication will also be based on the new scheme system rather than the annoying mostly random "it could happen tomorrow or it could take 30 years" system that CK2 has, so it will be more reliable in general. I might be misremembering this but I think it was mentioned in a FAQ before.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I think that claim fabrication will also be based on the new scheme system rather than the annoying mostly random "it could happen tomorrow or it could take 30 years" system that CK2 has, so it will be more reliable in general. I might be misremembering this but I think it was mentioned in a FAQ before.

That'd be one of the biggest improvements over CK2 if so.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Having a more consistent method to obtain claims will make the game feel a lot better even if the new method is technically more complicated

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
It was funny thinking tour spymaster spent thirty years looking at the same document hoping to find a single word to use

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

Fuzzy McDoom posted:

Speaking of plots, is my impression accurate that in CK2 it is a million times better to have 1 80% plotter than 80 1% plotters?
Slightly more complicated. Each individual plotter in the group with a plot power ≥2.5% gets their own MTTH trigger (baseline 4200 months) to fire that is modified by total plot power (3x improvement at breakpoints at 100%, 150%, 200%), and a bit by individual contribution (1.6x improvements at breakpoints every 10% up to 100%).

In the 80x 1% case none of them reach the allowed threshold though.

Also plot leader gets their own separate MTTH event.

lurksion fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Aug 12, 2020

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Am I recalling correctly that plotters who are in the same physical location as the target get some sort of bonus or something? I believe I read where someone suggested attaching yourself to a retinue and sitting on the target's capital so you'd get special events.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

Fuzzy McDoom posted:

Speaking of plots, is my impression accurate that in CK2 it is a million times better to have 1 80% plotter than 80 1% plotters?
So comparing e.g. 1x 80% vs say 8x 10% and 32x 2.5%

Base MTTH is 4200 months.

The 1x 80% gets a 0.6^8 individual bonus, reducing MTTH to 70.5, which we can convert into a daily chance of 0.978%
The 8x 10% gets a 0.6 individual bonus, reducing MTTH to 2520, which we can convert into a daily chance of 0.028%, with 8 independent draws for an overall daily chance of 0.220%
The 32x 2.5% gets no individual bonus, converted into a daily chance of 0.017%, with 32 draws for an overall daily chance of 0.527%

For reference, a single high power plotter become better than the equivalent swarm of 2.5% plotters at a individual plot power of 70%

lurksion fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Aug 12, 2020

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

megane posted:

Am I recalling correctly that plotters who are in the same physical location as the target get some sort of bonus or something? I believe I read where someone suggested attaching yourself to a retinue and sitting on the target's capital so you'd get special events.
This is specific to the plot leader, who is required to be in the same location

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Oh, another important thing from the stream is that it seems like regents and regencies aren't in the game at all. No sign of them in the UI anywhere and when they tried to revoke that county from a 6 year old the declaration of war came straight from the kid.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
That’s....bad

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

I could see that being something they flesh out in a future DLC.

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

The Cheshire Cat posted:

It was stated early on (I think in a dev diary?) that fabricating claims has a ceiling on how much time it will take.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Sindai posted:

Oh, another important thing from the stream is that it seems like regents and regencies aren't in the game at all. No sign of them in the UI anywhere and when they tried to revoke that county from a 6 year old the declaration of war came straight from the kid.

Thats weird and has definitely tempered my excitement a bit. Regencies are a pretty basic part of the game and are a very clearly defined period of weakness, some of my best memories come from surviving a difficult regency.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Sindai posted:

I'm 99% sure that the Proud Bavarian dude talked about regencies in one of the Paradox sponsored videos.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

I'm going to assume until shown otherwise that they've just changed how regencies are displayed, and that maybe it's a purely internal thing with the child king being the face still. That would be an extremely weird thing to miss out on.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

I'm going to assume until shown otherwise that they've just changed how regencies are displayed, and that maybe it's a purely internal thing with the child king being the face still. That would be an extremely weird thing to miss out on.

Isn't this how it works in CK2? I'm certain I've seen acceptance letters sent by literal infant rulers (which were obviously written by the regent under the ruler's name).

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Pigbuster posted:

Isn't this how it works in CK2? I'm certain I've seen acceptance letters sent by literal infant rulers (which were obviously written by the regent under the ruler's name).

It's been a while, but I think if you click on the country you see next to the child king the regent in a smaller circle overlapping slightly on the child king's portrait, and people are reacting because they're not seeing that in the preview streams and assuming that it means there are no regencies?

Vastakaiun
Apr 16, 2008

I would guess regents take the council position normally occupied by your spouse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Regencies were boring and I won't miss them if they're gone