Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

xzzy posted:

Found a vlog of forums poster The Voice of Labor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNJPmk5wIHw

I love grabbing my Hasselblad digital back and camera, leaving my modern California house with a photography studio, unplugging my electric muscle car and driving across town to take photos of urban decay. And I especially love doing it while looking like Trivago Daddy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

Cognac McCarthy posted:

I love grabbing my Hasselblad digital back and camera, leaving my modern California house with a photography studio, unplugging my electric muscle car and driving across town to take photos of urban decay. And I especially love doing it while looking like Trivago Daddy.

I only watched the video because of this post.

So they made a commercial to sell cameras to ... Johnny Depp?

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Verman posted:

I only watched the video because of this post.

So they made a commercial to sell cameras to ... Johnny Depp?

Given his spending habits, that might make a tidy profit all on its own.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Heartwarming story: I swear down I know a guy just like that, right down to the jaguar that’s been converted into a modern car. Only he lives in Chesterfield, UK, and has to take pictures of the same dull poo poo as I do. Lovely man, when he’s grown bored of whatever new shiny camera he’s bought rather than sell it or have it gathering dust he’ll find the newest member of our tiny photography circle and If he thinks they got talent he’ll just give them it.

He gave me his X100 with handmade leather case, leather wrist strap and hand woven neck strap and I treasure it and always will.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

xzzy posted:

Found a vlog of forums poster The Voice of Labor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNJPmk5wIHw

that is to my desires as the watchmen movie is to the comic book.

I bet that dude has a tradcath wife but it's a real doll

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
ok :stare:

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
That Nikon DF does actually look pretty sweet, but only now that you can probably get one like $700 rather than the $2750 MSRP.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

big scary monsters posted:

That Nikon DF does actually look pretty sweet, but only now that you can probably get one like $700 rather than the $2750 MSRP.

I'd still own one if it had a 24Mp or higher sensor.

I've actually bought it twice. The first one was on a shoot with me, and the art director accidentally reversed over one of my (open) pelicans and broke it.

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel

The Voice of Labor posted:

menuless access to iso and white balance.

wait, what. White balance.

you're not shooting JPEGs, are you?

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

frumpykvetchbot posted:

Small brain: shooting JPEG
Big brain: shooting RAW
Galaxy brain: shooting JPEG cus you're too lazy to bother editing anymore

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

frumpykvetchbot posted:

Non-Fuji user spotted

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

CodfishCartographer posted:

Small brain: shooting JPEG
Big brain: shooting RAW
Galaxy brain: shooting JPEG cus you're too lazy to bother editing anymore

Is it as liberating as they say?

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
The df is the only modern dslr you can use without looking at a screen. It also has a metering tab for your manual lenses and theres a dial for shutter and iso.

It also has the sensor of a d4 and it has no video.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

You wanted this so you better fuckin buy it now

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
You will find that the manual focus life on a DSLR (any DSLR) sucks hard unless you are in live view. All of the nice focus aids that aren't dependent on AF such as focus peaking, require live view or a mirrorless camera (which is effectively what your DSLR is when you are in live view).

I have yet to nail focus when wide open with my manual 85mm f/1.5 lens just from the viewfinder, it's simply impossible to get that kind of accuracy through a focusing screen that's optimised for brightness and autofocus.

However it is possible for me to set the toggle switch on the back of my 5Div so that if I press that, and adjust the front dial, it changes the ISO instead of the shutterspeed. If you are using a manual lens with an aperture ring, I'm fairly sure that you can map the back dial to ISO instead.

Basically what you are looking for is a cheap Leica and nobody is making that camera, because features are what drives sales for everybody who isn't Leica.

Comedy answer: buy one of those Yashica Y35 cameras that were Kickstarted a couple of years ago.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

it's been a while since dorkroom got good and weird and I am fuckin here for it

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
don't worry, the Df also will be deemed inappropriate because its too useful in some way.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

DJExile posted:

it's been a while since dorkroom got good and weird and I am fuckin here for it

sometimes you see "oh hey 50 new wonder what happens" and it doesn't deliver, but boy, this time it did.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Yeast posted:

don't worry, the Df also will be deemed inappropriate because its too useful in some way.

The OP specifically cited autofocus as the thing that they didn't want to have had any engineering time to in the camera. And also it still has a normal modern SLR focusing screen rather than something more suited to manual focus.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

powderific posted:

The OP specifically cited autofocus as the thing that they didn't want to have had any engineering time to in the camera. And also it still has a normal modern SLR focusing screen rather than something more suited to manual focus.

the OP is also looking for a manual-focus specific DSLR which really doesn't exist at all. The DF gets closest to their list of demands, and should be available cheap-ish now.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

The closest is a camera phone app that only has manual controls. Beats all your suggestions cos the apps are under $10!

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

alkanphel posted:

The closest is a camera phone app that only has manual controls. Beats all your suggestions cos the apps are under $10!

camera phones have too many features, like phones, auto settings, auto exposure, a screen, apps, wifi, a sim card, etc

just think of how cheap a camera phone would be if it didn't have the phone part

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
HP PhotoSmart 215. No autofocus, no memory cards, no wifi, no video.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
if I'd asked the equivalent question in tff I'd already have a list of 5 options and a coupon code

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel
Sony DSC-F1.

Does absolutely gently caress-all. No intelligence whatsoever, and produces extra spicy VGA resolution you can download over RS-232 at a brisk clip of several images per minute.

if I'd asked the equivalent question in tff I'd already have a list of 5 options and a coupon code

you don't exist as a demographic.

lol yes because I want to depreciate my experience, not improve it.

Deleting dormant features you don't care to use doesn't improve the thing one bit. It just deletes something that you weren't using but which almost everyone else finds useful. Here's the thing: Almost all those features you don't want are simply software running on hardware that would have to be there in any case in order for a digital camera to even exist. At this point I'm convinced you're simply trolling.

frumpykvetchbot fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Aug 13, 2020

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

thoughts on the Nikon presented earlier this page?

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

People have already given you multiple different suggestions at multiple different price points and feature levels, I dunno what more you want from us at this point

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

CodfishCartographer posted:

People have already given you multiple different suggestions at multiple different price points and feature levels, I dunno what more you want from us at this point

I was specifically poking fun at a joke suggestion from a gun forum regular.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

harperdc posted:

thoughts on the Nikon presented earlier this page?

sure, it's still, like $1500 used, it has substantially worse resolution than what I'm using now. the x-t2 mentioned earlier seems to present the same level of control

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Buy this dumb thing

https://petapixel.com/2020/04/13/the-im-back-35-lets-you-add-a-digital-sensor-to-your-old-film-camera/

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

that dumb thing was the 2nd or 3rd dumb thing mentioned and it seems like a really good idea to me. it surprises me that there aren't a lot more things like this that don't cost thousands of dollars.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

that dumb thing was the 2nd or 3rd dumb thing mentioned and it seems like a really good idea to me. it surprises me that there aren't a lot more things like this that don't cost thousands of dollars.

Because there's barely any market for it. So it's impossible to manufacture them in large enough quantity to make them cheap and also sell them.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

Because second hand Canon DLSRs that can fit every EF lens are cheap as hell.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Because what I really want is a huge lump in the middle of my SLR ruining my ergonomics and ability to get my face up to the viewfinder

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

Mega Comrade posted:

Because there's barely any market for it. So it's impossible to manufacture them in large enough quantity to make them cheap and also sell them.

that reasoning doesn't hold for any of my other nerd hobbies. for example, there are modernization options for older synthesizers with extant number in the thousands or low ten thousands, and there are usually multiple mods per synth. the same is true for old video game consoles and old computers no matter how old or obscure. most gear gets hacked pretty thoroughly. I realize precision glass and mirrors and tiny gears and servos and shutters aren't really comparable to circuits, but sensor arrays and lcd screens and data sampling algorithms and writing to sd cards are kinda comparable.

I get that it's not easy but it shouldn't be that hard.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

Alternatively buy a Nikon F3 and a Kodak DCS back for it.

that reasoning doesn't hold for any of my other nerd hobbies. for example, there are modernization options for older synthesizers with extant number in the thousands or low ten thousands, and there are usually multiple mods per synth. the same is true for old video game consoles and old computers no matter how old or obscure. most gear gets hacked pretty thoroughly. I realize precision glass and mirrors and tiny gears and servos and shutters aren't really comparable to circuits, but sensor arrays and lcd screens and data sampling algorithms and writing to sd cards are kinda comparable.

I get that it's not easy but it shouldn't be that hard.

It's because the people who might want that are already really well-served by much cheaper and arguably better options.
The market for a very static camera platform that needs to be tethered, and requires a long time to make a capture is pretty much zero. I used one for a bit doing product photography for White Dwarf magazine back in the 1990s, but nowadays, you'd just put your Sony A7Riii on a tripod and get much better images with a billion per cent less hassle.
If you're the camera-guy version of the vintage synth fans you are talking about, you would just shoot film on those vintage cameras. If you don't care about the analogue workflow, you'd buy whatever contemporary camera has the feature set you need at your price point, and go to town.

One of the guys who commissioned an 8x10 digital back says it cost him north of $100k, and he doesn't even use it for his final images, he just uses it as a digital proofing step before taking the final image on film. The digital back replaces the large format polaroids that he used to double check focus and exposure on.

Edit: Also, also, making bigger sensors is really, really expensive. Canon reckoned that the difference in price between an APS-C and a full-frame sensor is around 20x in fab costs. With bigger sensors, you get fewer of them on a wafer, and there's a good chance that a random distribution of flaws on the wafer makes all or most of them non-viable. Once you start getting to larger sensors, the cost goes stratospheric. It's why the cheapest digital medium format cameras cost as much as a small car, and the ones with larger sensors still cost as much as a nice car. There is no economy of scale like there is for tiny phone camera sensors.

Helen Highwater fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Aug 13, 2020

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

harperdc posted:

the OP is also looking for a manual-focus specific DSLR which really doesn't exist at all. The DF gets closest to their list of demands, and should be available cheap-ish now.
It seems you can fit a split-prism focusing screen to a Df
http://www.jerkwithacamera.com/nikon-df-split-screen-manual-focusing-screen/comment-page-1/
http://focusingscreen.com/

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel

Helen Highwater posted:

Edit: Also, also, making bigger sensors is really, really expensive.

All of this, but also almost all of these bigger sensors when they even exist, have been built to order for a particular run of cameras for one customer. Sony seems to make most of the imaging silicon in popular use, including the sensors in Nikon's top models with Nikon also designing those sensors.You won't be able to find a batch of viable 35mm size sensors in a Shenzhen back alley to build this absurdly niche-specific, minimalist bespoke hipster manual camera even if you wanted to and could muster up the dough to also pay for the design and engineering of the rest of the thing. I've seen no small-scale indies making cameras with bigger sensors than APS-C and that's in large part because there's a lot of leftover stock of those smaller sensor sizes from the imploding small-camera market that has seen early shutdowns and cancellations of planned products.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Wildcard: I think he might actually like the Nikon D2X, honestly 12mp is absolutely fine if you are not printing enormous posters (iirc you can even go down to 8mp for snapshot sizes and it will be fine) this beast of a thing does have old school syth vibes.