Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anti-Tachyon
Oct 25, 2010

MRLOLAST posted:

https://youtu.be/AYXxYAM38z0
poo poo, now I want an all Kroot Army.

Man I wish gw would give Kroot Mercenaries the GSC treatment... or even just acknowledge they ever existed in the first place :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

I will never learn the secrets of "Increased fake female boar sp..."

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.
I need to steel my heart and just magnetize my sergeants, I've never done infantry magnets before. Lots of dreads/vehicles/monsters though.

Hellburger99
Jan 24, 2006

"I don't like that mooch...
or her pooch!
"

BaronVanAwesome posted:

I need to steel my heart and just magnetize my sergeants, I've never done infantry magnets before. Lots of dreads/vehicles/monsters though.

My plan was to just buy a bunch of those easy build kits so I could swap different sergeants in depending on the load-out I wanted, but it looks like they’re discontinued now.

Legendary Ptarmigan
Sep 21, 2007

Need a light?

Hellburger99 posted:

My plan was to just buy a bunch of those easy build kits so I could swap different sergeants in depending on the load-out I wanted, but it looks like they’re discontinued now.

They're being replaced by an ETB Assault Intercessor set. It's available combined with a paint set this weekend but will doubtless be available by itself in the next month or two.

Edit: I just checked the preorder entry out, and these new guys have molded Ultimas and Fast Attack symbols on their shoulder pads. Not too hard to deal with if you don't want them, but minor boo!

It looks like the marines in the product photos were painted with just the paints in the set as well, to a basic tabletop standard. Makes sense as a way to avoid intimidating new painters who the set is aimed at.

Legendary Ptarmigan fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Aug 13, 2020

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
I'm hoping that three-sprue with the paints will be for that alone, and the actual ETB Assault Intercessor kit will be the sprue from Indomitus and the starters, myself. I mean, wouldn't it be nice for the EtB Assault Intercessor kit to actually be a legal unit?

We'll see, though.

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

I will never learn the secrets of "Increased fake female boar sp..."

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.

Hellburger99 posted:

I did EXACTLY this! I also bought a ETB Reivers kit so I could get 2 skull helmets.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
The thing about the ETB kits is numbers-wise they weren't actually that much cheaper than the multipose kit. Easy to Build Intercessors have an MSRP of $15 USD for three dudes, or five bucks per dude. The multipart Intercessor kit is $60 for 10, or six bucks per dude. For an extra buck per dude, you get a bunch more gear options and bits. So if there was ever a chance you were going to do the "Pick up the ETB Intercessor box for cheap bodies" three or more times, you're probably better off buying just one extra multipose Intercessor kit and keeping it around to raid for an extra body whenever you need it.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Legendary Ptarmigan posted:

Edit: I just checked the preorder entry out, and these new guys have molded Ultimas and Fast Attack symbols on their shoulder pads.

Ah, perfect for Blood Ravens players!

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

John Romero got made a bitch
so are they just not making indomitus anymore? seems like theyre pushing a three tier starter set thing

still have my orks and space marines from the starter i bought during 7th....have a bunch more orks though. i got overwhelmed with them.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Yea the made to order window for Indomitus is over now, so if you want a copy it's going to have to be from a 3rd party somewhere.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

John Romero posted:

so are they just not making indomitus anymore? seems like theyre pushing a three tier starter set thing

still have my orks and space marines from the starter i bought during 7th....have a bunch more orks though. i got overwhelmed with them.

Indomitus was a limited-edition launch box. After the initial stock sold out it went to made-to-order for an additional week but that's gone, too, so if you want it you're stuck with trying to find one in a game store out in the wild.

All the components of Indomitus are available elsewhere, though, except the two big sprues with the push-fit Primaris Chaplain, Judiciar, Bladeguard Veterans, and Eliminators on the Space Marine side and the push-fit Skorpekh Lord, Plasmancer, Cryptothralls, and Canoptek Reanimator on the Necron side. It is likely those two sprues will eventually end up in some sort of boxed set, since making those molds was expensive and GW probably plans to continue profiting from them for a while.

But, yes, the evergreen 9th edition starter sets are the current three tiered thing.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib

Finished painting up my first set of eradicators. I experimented a bit with using contrast paints for muzzle burn. It ended up not too terribly, though it was pretty crap looking until I drybrushed some metal on to help smooth the transitions.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Here is a link to a story with a fair bit of information in regards to some of the trouble the Warstore had. Very sad, I liked to order from them and they felt like a real small business with an actual face, instead of just some gaping corporate maw.

https://suffolktimes.timesreview.com/2017/12/sex-offenders-hired-through-church-program-allegedly-stole-from-southold-employer/

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

MRLOLAST posted:

https://youtu.be/AYXxYAM38z0
poo poo, now I want an all Kroot Army.

I dont have time to watch this in its entirety, but i'm very curious about why this is a thing. Is this a joke army, or can you seriously make a legit army out of this with 9th edition?

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

I said come in! posted:

I dont have time to watch this in its entirety, but i'm very curious about why this is a thing. Is this a joke army, or can you seriously make a legit army out of this with 9th edition?

A good chunk of the army is Broadsides that he's running as Kroot mounts with missile pods. It's a solid force, but not exactly "all-Kroot".

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

As for how accurate it is I don’t know, but a GW manager told me a couple of days back that the stock shortages aren’t down to repackaging for 9th but instead because the warehouse reopened a few weeks before the factory did, so the factory is having to play catch-up. Indomitus has also had an effect as you can imagine.

Shame really as my birthday is coming up on the weekend and nearly everything on my gift list is out of stock and my army building has stalled out.

MRLOLAST
May 9, 2013

raverrn posted:

A good chunk of the army is Broadsides that he's running as Kroot mounts with missile pods. It's a solid force, but not exactly "all-Kroot".

Yeah he converted Kroot mounts to carry missiles using broadsides rules and Kroot has no HQ so he is using a Kroot as a Tau Ethereal.

Psyber Spine
Jan 18, 2019

Missed the book chat but I enjoyed Spear of the Emperor. I feel like it gives a good view of how different space marine chapters and their human serfs interact and how they are shaped by the cultures they come from. Quite good for getting inspiration if you want to make your own chapter. There's also some good messed up imperium shenanigans and creepy warp fuckery bits too.

My favourite gripe is how it seems to be popular to have "[noun] after [adjective] [noun]" in every piece of Black Library fiction recently, it really sticks out.

I was disappointing by Kal Jerico. He seemed like a cool swashbuckling character and I was always intrigued by his model when I was younger, especially when he got a 54mm version. The books are a bit more schlocky than I'd hoped though and definitely a product of their time with every female character being introduced with a description of how big (or not) their boobs are. I thought Kal was going to be like a Han Solo kind of character but a lot of his success and arrogant swagger comes from that fact that he's a well educated spire heir just slumming it in the underhive and it's pretty much a game to him. Maybe I've read more into the situation than I should have but it just came of as an unconscious class bias by the author to me and it soured the whole experience for me.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Here is a link to a story with a fair bit of information in regards to some of the trouble the Warstore had. Very sad, I liked to order from them and they felt like a real small business with an actual face, instead of just some gaping corporate maw.

https://suffolktimes.timesreview.com/2017/12/sex-offenders-hired-through-church-program-allegedly-stole-from-southold-employer/

YIKES. That's just terrible all around :(

And yea I met Neil once or twice at conventions around 2010-2012, seemed like a cool dude

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Psyber Spine posted:

I was disappointing by Kal Jerico. He seemed like a cool swashbuckling character and I was always intrigued by his model when I was younger, especially when he got a 54mm version. The books are a bit more schlocky than I'd hoped though and definitely a product of their time with every female character being introduced with a description of how big (or not) their boobs are. I thought Kal was going to be like a Han Solo kind of character but a lot of his success and arrogant swagger comes from that fact that he's a well educated spire heir just slumming it in the underhive and it's pretty much a game to him. Maybe I've read more into the situation than I should have but it just came of as an unconscious class bias by the author to me and it soured the whole experience for me.

I'm kinda curious as to how the new book is as the older series was kinda uninteresting in general. And a bit too focused on Yolanda's appearance whenever she was introduced.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Lord Ludikrous posted:

As for how accurate it is I don’t know, but a GW manager told me a couple of days back that the stock shortages aren’t down to repackaging for 9th but instead because the warehouse reopened a few weeks before the factory did, so the factory is having to play catch-up. Indomitus has also had an effect as you can imagine.

Shame really as my birthday is coming up on the weekend and nearly everything on my gift list is out of stock and my army building has stalled out.

It's probably accurate. Both were shut down at the same time and we discussed here how a factory takes longer to "spin up" than the warehouse, so unless they decided to start opening the factory up before the warehouse (unlikely as everyone is sort of making up their covid response as they go along) it would be a delay.

To be honest though I suspect the bigger reason is more than just that.

Firstly they have the fact that for a long time people couldn't buy from them, both individuals and local stores. So rather than having these orders spread out they came all at once when they reopened. Pretty much every manufacturer used just in time principles and I'd be surprised if GW was any different, so any huge spike in demand is going to throw them off.

Secondly, while lots of people have lost their jobs the people who have retained their jobs have more disposable cash generally speaking, as they've not been gavin to pay to go to the office, paying to eat out, or paying to go to the pub etc.

Thirdly, there's been a big spike in sales of stuff you can do while in lock down, and while you can't play the game with others, it's the perfect chance to finally finish building your army, adding those units or whatever.

Fourthly, they have had the release of a new edition, and with lots of hype around the new edition that should logically translate into new sales.

Finally, there was indomitus. I believe the first wave was likely made ages ago to get it all ready to go on launch day. The massive underestimation of demand coupled with the promises made that everyone can get a copy lead to them having to reprint boxes, which I'm sure the number will be huge, even limited to one per person.

So you have a whole bunch of factors leading to a massive spike in demand for products, and indomitus, and GW only has one factory. With lots of other companies and products in a pinch you can outsource what's being made to someone else, but GW can't do that, so it's likely these stock shortages will remain for some time, because of course now people know stock is short, they will buy stuff when they see it in stock on the basis they don't know when it's back.

This could all lead to huge volumes of sales for GW.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I'm putting together my Indomitus box and I like giving all my Marines hats so I glued an extra helmet onto one of the Outriders and then I noticed he has a helmet on his hip so now he's wearing a hat while carrying a spare hat around. You can't really chop it off can you? Gonna have to come up for a reason why Brother Hatsalot carries a dang spare.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Eej posted:

I'm putting together my Indomitus box and I like giving all my Marines hats so I glued an extra helmet onto one of the Outriders and then I noticed he has a helmet on his hip so now he's wearing a hat while carrying a spare hat around. You can't really chop it off can you? Gonna have to come up for a reason why Brother Hatsalot carries a dang spare.

He keeps losing his hat so his sergeant makes him take extras.

If you have more, glue another onto him

MRLOLAST
May 9, 2013

Eej posted:

Just paint it a different color and say its a thophy.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Maybe drill a bullet hole in it and now it's his lucky charm and/or a memorial helmet.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
All excellent ideas thank you

Spanish Manlove posted:

He keeps losing his hat so his sergeant makes him take extras.

If you have more, glue another onto him

I got extra Sergeant heads...

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Eej posted:

Go all in and give him both arms holding spare helmets as well. Glue a few on his base. Make sure they all have chinstraps.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
"I told my aunt one year when I was a kid that I liked helmets... now... *sigh*"

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

He stole a fellow unit member's helmet as a prank just before going into battle

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

It's a shame the bolt gun ammo feeds are hidden.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Sab669 posted:

He stole a fellow unit member's helmet as a prank just before going into battle

This, plus model one of the other bikers without a helmet.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

moths posted:

This, plus model one of the other bikers without a helmet.

I'll one up that

The Assault Intercessor sprue has a helmet on left hip bit to go with the sergeant head which happens to be the opposite side of the Outrider. I could do have two Outriders without helmets...

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Legendary Ptarmigan posted:

They're being replaced by an ETB Assault Intercessor set. It's available combined with a paint set this weekend but will doubtless be available by itself in the next month or two.

Edit: I just checked the preorder entry out, and these new guys have molded Ultimas and Fast Attack symbols on their shoulder pads. Not too hard to deal with if you don't want them, but minor boo!

It looks like the marines in the product photos were painted with just the paints in the set as well, to a basic tabletop standard. Makes sense as a way to avoid intimidating new painters who the set is aimed at.

Wait wait wait...I thought Assault Intercessors were going to be troop choices? I literally decaled mine last night/

EdsTeioh fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Aug 13, 2020

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

EdsTeioh posted:

Wait wait wait...I thought Assault Intercessors were going to be troop choices?

They are, but the "Fast Attack" symbol isn't actually "Fast Attack". It's "Close Range Support" or something, and doesn't automatically align with the detachment chart.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Oh ok. That's still going to annoy the piss out of me.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

Eej posted:

I'll one up that

The Assault Intercessor sprue has a helmet on left hip bit to go with the sergeant head which happens to be the opposite side of the Outrider. I could do have two Outriders without helmets...

That's good. Alternatively, fit a helmet on his head, and he's the health and safety officer, carrying extras to hand out when he spots another Space Marine that "lost" his.

Maneck fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Aug 13, 2020

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice
More upgraded stats for space marines; the extra wound seems to be for all vets and regular boltguns get 30" range like primaris ones.

I really hope they're gonna do this for everyone or it's going to be really confusing if one faction is getting totally different stats on weapons also used by a bunch of other codexes.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Still nice that they seem to be removing a lot of the stat differences between normal marines and primaris and obiously want to see them used together.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Maneck posted:

That's good. Alternatively, fit a helmet on him head, and he's the health and safety officer, carrying extras to hand out when he spots another Space Marine that "lost" his.

"Our librarian took an OH&S course and is now extremely uhh .. "codex compliant" about Marine Helmets."

EDIT: Every squad now has a designated helmet warden.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Cooked Auto posted:

Still nice that they seem to be removing a lot of the stat differences between normal marines and primaris and obiously want to see them used together.

I mean eventually if all the small marine lines are discontinued people will want to use small marines as primaris anyway, so it makes sense to gradually move towards "there's hardly any difference"