Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

IÃÂÃŒÂÌ° Ó̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉mÃÂ̺̩ Ç̬A̡̮̞̠ÚÉ̱̫ K̶eÓgÃÂ.̻̱̪̕Ö̹̟

Lostconfused posted:

You know that NDP are just a different flavor of succ and they would fold just like any other social democrat party when give power.

They didn't in BC in the 70s so I say we build a time machine and

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

Remember when the NDP actually had enough lead in its pencil that its leader was being tailed by the CIA and RCMP?

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

I will never not vote NDP federally, but just lol at the thought of them winning the election.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Rutibex posted:

it would be the NDP ... not the succ libs lol

boy, do i have some bad news for you

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Stickarts posted:

Remember when the NDP actually had enough lead in its pencil that its leader was being tailed by the CIA and RCMP?

the NDP started as a communist uprising in Winnipeg 1918. Many of the first leaders of the party were arrested on charges of conspiracy to overthrow the government.

They are less cool today :(

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

nevermind i'm dumb

Lassitude has issued a correction as of 16:00 on Aug 13, 2020

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

I give it ten years before the libs and ndp make a coalition to get a majority government, merge parties, and nobody aside from a handful of ndp voters will care.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

Fashionable Jorts posted:

I give it ten years before the libs and ndp make a coalition to get a majority government, merge parties, and nobody aside from a handful of ndp voters will care.

Conservatives will literally shout R A E D A Y S until their cold hate filled hearts die of old age in our publicly funded hospitals

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Slotducks posted:

Conservatives will literally shout R A E D A Y S until their cold hate filled hearts die of old age in our publicly funded hospitals

Bob Rae gave me an extra week of march break. this is my only experience of NDP governance, and i liked it

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Imagine looking at the Liberal party and thinking 'the NDP are just as bad'

Give your drat heads a shake

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Of course not, they'd have to be a ruling party first.

linoleum floors
Mar 25, 2012

Please. Let me tell you all about how you're all idiots. I am of superior intellect here. Go suck some dicks. You have all fucking stupid opinions. This is my fucking opinion.
The NDP has been real useless in this minority government

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

linoleum floors posted:

The NDP has been real useless in this minority government

CERB was NDP policy first, as was the extension. But go on...

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
You don't vote for the NDP to win, you vote for the NDP for them to be popular enough that the Liberals have to implement then steal credit for the good policies.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Hand Knit posted:

You don't vote for the NDP to win, you vote for the NDP for them to be popular enough that the Liberals have to implement then steal credit for the good policies.

:emptyquote:

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Hand Knit posted:

My riding has been NDP for over a decade :smugdog:

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
My riding was NDP for the longest time until everyone ~strategically voted~ for Trudeau and now our MP might as well not exist for all I've seen of him. Also the VA for Aisha Clan Clan ran for NDP leadership, lost, and immediately bounced over to the liberals so theres that

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

I’ve literally never voted for a winning candidate at any level in the 15 years I’ve been an eligible voter. 0/10.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Stickarts posted:

I’ve literally never voted for a winning candidate at any level in the 15 years I’ve been an eligible voter. 0/10.

Use your c-spam knowledge and run for office on the platform of “my opponent sucks and I will give you what you want”

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

This mural in Calgary was going to be painted over with a new Black Lives Matter mural. The original artist was OK with it, but the plan's on hold for a few months as they look for a new location because the new artists were getting so many death threats.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
i voted for the lib candidate over the ndp candidate in my area in 2015 because the lib candidate was a much better person overall, i do not regret this

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Hand Knit posted:

exactly. the job of the NDP is to pull the libs left and 2011 broke the brains of the party and many of its supporters into thinking their job was to win. They hosed up the last two elections by becoming almost indistinguishable from the liberals and making ~strategic voting~ a no brainer but maybe they learned their lesson.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
:question:

Harold Stassen has issued a correction as of 05:02 on Jun 20, 2021

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

Chamale posted:

This mural in Calgary was going to be painted over with a new Black Lives Matter mural. The original artist was OK with it, but the plan's on hold for a few months as they look for a new location because the new artists were getting so many death threats.

The original artist should touch it up a bit, by painting the hands black.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
should I stop donating to the ndp? I just want things to be better

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

prom candy posted:

should I stop donating to the ndp? I just want things to be better

apparently leftists are planning on brigading the green party before a leadership vote, anyone got any ideas if that could work?

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
The votes from a marginal group for a marginal party are likely to have marginal impact.

If Canada is so far north why aren't we in the cool zone yet?

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
:q:

Harold Stassen has issued a correction as of 05:02 on Jun 20, 2021

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

xtal posted:

If Canada is so far north why aren't we in the cool zone yet?

turns out you only need a mild social safety net to keep people out of the streets?

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

yippee cahier posted:

apparently leftists are planning on brigading the green party before a leadership vote, anyone got any ideas if that could work?

Oh Christ - now the left is going to be split between the NDP and the Greens?

gently caress me just start a labour party and actually build from there.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
NDP was the labour party

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

and the greens are tories with subsidized hybrids

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."
The problem with the NDP is that they're as much a neoliberal party as the others at this point, not that they "try to win elections". Just a different coat of paint on the same failing political philosophy. Jagmeet Singh won his leadership race promising to enact means testing on old age security.

DynamicSloth has issued a correction as of 01:55 on Aug 15, 2020

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
The thing about the NDP is that they aspired to be a labour party constituted along the same lines as the British Labour Party. The NDP's affiliation with labour unions peaked within about 15 years of its founding, and even affiliated unions often struggled to consistently get their own members to vote for the NDP. Some major industrial unions like the Steelworkers and CAW were tightly integrated into the party (the Steelworkers still are, the CAW's successor union Unifor is very much not) but this partnership was always strongest at the leadership level - members of the union bureaucracy had an ideological commitment to the NDP and viewed it as "their" party. However, while union members were more likely to vote NDP they mostly voted for the Liberals and Conservatives. The hope that Canadians could be enticed into voting along class lines never panned out: workers continued to largely support the bourgeois parties, as did many labour unions. The NDP did maintain an important alliance with the leadership of a significant fraction of the union movement in Canada but they were never able to achieve their original ambition of creating a true labour party.

Additionally, the role of labour unions within the NDP is complicated. Contrary to what one might hope the unions that dominant the NDP have tended to be very cautious and incrementalist. They haven't exactly been pushing the party toward a more radical platform.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

yippee cahier posted:

No way that can work. The lib succ is way stronger in the greens. They have some stuff going well for them, but they aren't about to start pushing pro-labour stuff, and most of their base isn't going to want to.

It's a real shame, but honestly the greens are the equivalent of buying a Prius and then deciding that makes you a good environmentalist. They are pro-capital at the end of the day.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

yippee cahier posted:

waste of time and energy

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

leftists should be pushing to divide the right vote between more parties than the left is split between

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Sometimes when I smoke weed I daydream about starting an explicitly red tory party that stresses voting your conscious and makes appeals to moderate/progressive religious Canadians, in the hopes of peeling enough votes away in central/eastern Canada and making Conservatives unelectable.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

that's better than my plan which was to go full extreme right wing racist nazi in the hopes that I don't get elected, then if I do immediately do a 180 and pass space communism while branding everything as not-communist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Another Bill posted:

Sometimes when I smoke weed I daydream about starting an explicitly red tory party that stresses voting your conscious and makes appeals to moderate/progressive religious Canadians, in the hopes of peeling enough votes away in central/eastern Canada and making Conservatives unelectable.

i think someone may have beat you to it