Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Horn
Jun 18, 2004

Penetration is the key to success
College Slice

Smugworth posted:

Re: PocketCasts, all the UI changes have been meh to fine for me. But at some point in the last year, about 50% of the time I bring up a specific podcast's episode listing, PocketCasts will randomly hang on a blank screen for ~5 seconds. I thought maybe my pi-hole was blocking some phone home API they're using, but I feel like I was experiencing it when the pi-hole was down, too.

It's got me frustrated enough that I think I'm going to how Podcast Addict has been since I stopped using it years ago. Looks like my original premium purchase is still valid, to boot.

I'm getting the same behavior without a pi hole on my 3A. One strange thing is I had to go back to my old Pixel XL (og) for a few months and never encountered it there. I wonder if this is something clearing the app's data would fix since I copied over the app settings from my old phone to the new one but I'm way too lazy to test clearing everything out and starting fresh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The biggest issue I'm having with Pocketcasts lately is that episode downloads seem to hang at 100% completion and the notification never clears unless I force close the app.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

https://9to5google.com/2020/08/10/classic-hangouts-google-chat-2/

I can confirm that after downloading the Chat app (non-g suite person here), every 1:1 conversation I've had in hangouts today is also represented in google chat as well.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
Does it work for Google Voice too?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I don't think I've touched google voice in a decade, so I can't say.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
I've been using it for my primary number for ages and am just waiting for the day they Google it.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Smugworth posted:

Re: PocketCasts, all the UI changes have been meh to fine for me. But at some point in the last year, about 50% of the time I bring up a specific podcast's episode listing, PocketCasts will randomly hang on a blank screen for ~5 seconds. I thought maybe my pi-hole was blocking some phone home API they're using, but I feel like I was experiencing it when the pi-hole was down, too.

It's got me frustrated enough that I think I'm going to how Podcast Addict has been since I stopped using it years ago. Looks like my original premium purchase is still valid, to boot.

I've had that problem too and I meant to report it to the devs but it never happens when it's convenient for me to do so.

bull3964 posted:

https://9to5google.com/2020/08/10/classic-hangouts-google-chat-2/

I can confirm that after downloading the Chat app (non-g suite person here), every 1:1 conversation I've had in hangouts today is also represented in google chat as well.

I'm not going to download the Chat app to find out. I've switched over to RCS and it works well enough that I don't have the need for an IM app.

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Aug 11, 2020

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Until RCS has multi device support and cloud sync, it remains turned off on my devices.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

bull3964 posted:

Until RCS has multi device support and cloud sync, it remains turned off on my devices.

As a normal person with only one phone, WORKSFORME. I type on my computer, it shows up on my phone and vice versa. When I move to a new phone all my conversations are exactly as they were on my old phone. None of the people I message need to install anything or use an app they weren't already using for it to Just Work. I'm unsure what else I'd want out of an ephemeral communications medium.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

That's where you and I differ. I don't want chat to be ephemeral. I want it to be persistent and unified and nothing you are going to say is going to convince me otherwise.

Also, messages for web is rear end. Notifications never work and it forgets its association with a phone at the drop of a hat.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

bull3964 posted:

Notifications never work and it forgets its association with a phone at the drop of a hat.

Messages for web has worked great for me. I miss MightyText, but not paying for it. Pulse SMS was ok.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

butt dickus posted:

I've been using it for my primary number for ages and am just waiting for the day they Google it.
Me too :(

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

LastInLine posted:

As a normal person with only one phone, WORKSFORME. I type on my computer, it shows up on my phone and vice versa. When I move to a new phone all my conversations are exactly as they were on my old phone. None of the people I message need to install anything or use an app they weren't already using for it to Just Work. I'm unsure what else I'd want out of an ephemeral communications medium.

I feel like it was not that long ago when you said you wouldn't be friends with someone who didn't use Hangouts.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

I feel like it was not that long ago when you said you wouldn't be friends with someone who didn't use Hangouts.

Yeah, Google killed my friends :( The good news is that RCS with SMS fallback is platform agnostic and alleviates the main pain points which is a shared state between devices and presence awareness. At the time I made that statement though, yeah, due to my schedule it'd be pretty difficult to maintain any meaningful communication without an IM app and I only had the one.

Of course international interoperability is a bit more dicey.

bull3964 posted:

That's where you and I differ. I don't want chat to be ephemeral. I want it to be persistent and unified and nothing you are going to say is going to convince me otherwise.

Also, messages for web is rear end. Notifications never work and it forgets its association with a phone at the drop of a hat.

Messages for Web notifications has worked for me across multiple devices on Windows, Mac OS, and Chrome OS without issue and notifications have always worked great on every platform. I've seen "Use Messages for Web here?" popups but only when Macs do background wakeups for whatever dumb poo poo it is they do. Turn that off and the association literally just follows me from computer to computer without any action on my part at all.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Google's gonna Google. I've never once seen a messages for web notification across chrome on multiple platforms or ChromeOS.

The whole process is Rube Goldberg stupidity regardless. Just have it work by signing into my account and having SMS fallback follow my SIM.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Any idea why VLC will occasionally show a notification with play controls that just says "loading"? I can't swipe it away, end up force closing the app. It's been happening every few hours for a couple of days. I haven't been using the app otherwise.

(I figure I'll just wait for an update...)

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Uthor posted:

Any idea why VLC will occasionally show a notification with play controls that just says "loading"? I can't swipe it away, end up force closing the app. It's been happening every few hours for a couple of days. I haven't been using the app otherwise.

(I figure I'll just wait for an update...)

I figured it was because it wanted to be uninstalled.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Lowen SoDium posted:

I figured it was because it wanted to be uninstalled.

This is how i took it and did so

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Appy Weather looks like it's starting to become a popular option for Android Weather App. It currently uses the Dark Sky API, but the developer was already looking for replacements before the whole Dark Sky fiasco.

It's subscription based, though, with 3 tiers:

Plus: Unlocks Widgets, Notifications, Radar, Temp On Status Bar, and Removes Ads. $3.99/year
Pro: Everything in Plus, and also Custom Notifications, More Map Layers & Increased Zoom, Foreca API. $0.99/month or $9.99/year

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I like the idea of two tiers. I rarely need the features companies offer and $10-12/year always seem like too much for the use I get.

What do the widgets look like? (nevermind, they're on the website.) I miss having widget only apps that let you open anything you want with them. I care more about the weather widget than the app itself and it'd be nice to use anything, even the stock one, with a widget that works for me.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Anyone else on the 11 beta? Gmail hasn't been syncing/notifying in the background. I've made sure that it's not in the optimized list for the battery settings. What else can I check?

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

According to the Plex Forums, it's coming.

(Google home + plexamp) just saw this post, awesome thanks!

Jeffrey Dahmer
May 21, 2017

by Pragmatica
Muldoon
I like the frog

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

bull3964 posted:

Google's gonna Google. I've never once seen a messages for web notification across chrome on multiple platforms or ChromeOS.

It's always worked fine for me. I wonder if your issues are down to having a lot of devices on your Google account - seems like something Google would screw up.

SpiderLink
Oct 3, 2006
I've been using Authenticator Plus for a few years but now it's freaking out about not being able to access Google Play services (I had it set to sync to my Google Drive). It's not letting me change it. What's a good alternative? I liked being able to use my fingerprint reader to log in. Thanks!

Edit: I do have LastPass premium.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
Authy? Has biometric authentication that I use.

Any more requirements? E.g. must sync to your own storage or similar?

ElegantFugue
Jun 5, 2012

Checked the last 20 pages but didn't find any calendar widget mentions- SGDQ 2020 is starting this weekend, so I added the ical for it to my Google Calendar, then went to my Pixel XL's calendar widget to tell it to sync. However, it wouldn't show up in the list of available calendars to display in the widget's syncing options. Did some looking around, found out the widget was de-listed, renamed, and re-uploaded a few years back without notification. Switched to new version of the widget, same issue. Uninstalled, went to the built-in Google Calendar widget, realized it's literally just the Google Calendar Schedule view with no visible options for tweaking it.

What are people using for calendar widgets? I'd like something that can display upcoming events in a list, ideally with some options for choosing how it looks and stuff.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I use Simple Calendar Widget

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=de.j4velin.calendarWidget

I dunno about dealing with iCal

ElegantFugue
Jun 5, 2012

Uthor posted:

I use Simple Calendar Widget

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=de.j4velin.calendarWidget

I dunno about dealing with iCal

The issue didn't seem to be with iCal specifically; it'd worked fine all the previous years. I will check that out, thank you!

EDIT: Oh huh, you mean Simple Calendar Widget- it's not displaying events from iCal calendars. Weird.

ElegantFugue fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Aug 14, 2020

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
I still use Business Calendar 2, it comes with a variety of widgets that are highly customizable.

SpiderLink
Oct 3, 2006

Heners_UK posted:

Authy? Has biometric authentication that I use.

Any more requirements? E.g. must sync to your own storage or similar?

Thanks! Ideally I'd want something that's secure without getting too into the weeds in terms of "host your own instance off a raspberry pi you bought with bitcoin"

I had a look at the OP but with this sort of thing, it's hard to keep track of which heinous conglomerate gobbled up what used to be the best app. I'll have a look at Authy.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Its not traditional, but Sectograph is nice for time management and displaying a daily schedule.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Does anyone know why Spotify refuses to cast some playlists from my phone to any device? I have a handful of playlists that are made up of entirely local files on my PC, but I have the playlist downloaded on my phone and it plays just fine there. But if I'm listening to one of those playlists on my phone and then try to cast it to my Nvidia Shield/Google Home/PC it just lists the stuff I have available and says "Can't Play This Right Now" under each device, but if I switch to a more normal playlist without local files the devices are listed as available again. And if I try and navigate to the playlist on my Shield, it will say the playlist is empty. I actually just tried to cast from my PC to my Shield or Google Home and it's doing the same thing.

I didn't see a Spofity specific thread in RGD or NMD, but if I missed one let me know and I can post there instead.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

SpiderLink posted:

Thanks! Ideally I'd want something that's secure without getting too into the weeds in terms of "host your own instance off a raspberry pi you bought with bitcoin"

Yeah Authy is the right answer then.

SpiderLink
Oct 3, 2006

Heners_UK posted:

Yeah Authy is the right answer then.

I appreciate it! Already changed all my 2FA. I'm also trying to cut down on how entangled I am in the Google ecosystem. It's... gonna be an endeavor.

bigman.50grand
Mar 31, 2007
no

I don't think Spotify will allow you to cast local files, regardless of the device.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

bigman.50grand posted:

I don't think Spotify will allow you to cast local files, regardless of the device.

Yep, I actually just stumbled over that myself. Whelp, guess I'll just cast my screen to whatever when I wanna listen to something dumb like Goon Christmas music.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

SpiderLink posted:

I appreciate it! Already changed all my 2FA. I'm also trying to cut down on how entangled I am in the Google ecosystem. It's... gonna be an endeavor.

Adjacent question: how is everyone storing their backup codes? Because I add a code every so often, I find a simple pair of USB drives is the best (with a text file on both with the codes).

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
I like to print them out and put them in my safe. Being as unreachable as possible through online measures is pretty much the point, after all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Heners_UK posted:

Adjacent question: how is everyone storing their backup codes? Because I add a code every so often, I find a simple pair of USB drives is the best (with a text file on both with the codes).

I put them in 1Password and just use that for both passwords and 2FA tokens.