Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Any Usopp win is a fantastic win, with a rad loss here and there as well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
robin better get a drat fight this arc

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Punk Hazard and Dressrosa had a ton of great character moments for the crew. I'm particularly struck by just how many ways different members of the crew were driving Punk Hazard. Nami and Chopper want to help the kids, Sanji wants to help the Samurai. Brook is left alone on the ship and is just so happy to see people again. When Zoro and Luffy both get taken out for dumb reasons, Zoro shouts a great focusing motivational thing at Luffy. Sanji befriends the G5 guys by accident 'cause he wanted to help Tashigi- the one and only good "Sanji does a dumb horny thing and there are consequences" plot point in the whole manga. All the Strawhats get to do their own thing, and we just get to spend some time with the crew. It's great. And then they run a lot and I get that that's not super interesting, but still. Lotta interesting motivations for all the running.

Fishman Island did not have that. None of the crew mattered or did anything with a couple exceptions: Sanji was disruptively horny. Nami had to deal with the emotions of meeting the man who was responsible for Arlong, but was also Luffy's friend, and wrestled with some really difficult feelings. Those were like the two character bits, and while one of them was fantastic the other... was basically the worst gag in the whole manga. Not even Luffy did anything. He fell asleep during the backstory and tried to stop Hody from making a mess of things, because what else was he going to do. It was so accidental and uninvolved. The only other arc that felt that way was Skypia, where the Strawhats are just wandering around as things happen, but that was awesome because you had all this passion about land and rights and good poo poo like that, and the Strawhats just had their own pirate-y motivation of finding treasure. It was a really fun dynamic. Fishman Island was like if the Strawhats were just kind of vacationing in Skypia and didn't do anything until Enel was going to destroy the town for his own reasons 2/3rds of the way through the arc. There's just so little going on outside of the flashback in Fishman Island.

I guess the rejection of the concept of "hero" because he didn't want to share the meat was a good/funny development, especially since it was independently articulated by Zoro in the exact same way.

I am somewhat sorry for starting the "actually, parts of One Piece are bad" discussion this time. I get that negativity is a bummer, and this is such a positive good manga. It's just... everything I actually like about this manga feels like its absent from Fishman Island and explaining how I felt and why I felt that way helped deal with that renewed disappointment when I got around to seeing it in anime form.

Some people pointed out that Hody had some interesting parallels to real life kinds of people and I've been thinking about those and they're kind of neat, so that's a positive thing that came from this.

Also, I didn't give my island a One Piece name in Animal Crossing, but my town tune is Bink's Sake and it's great.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'm going to reveal a secret One Piece opinion I've never told anyone, and it's that I pronounce the sake in Bink's sake as the sake in "Oh, for gently caress's sake" and not the actual Japanese liquor.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

The worst arc is still Alabasta.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

I'm going to reveal a secret One Piece opinion I've never told anyone, and it's that I pronounce the sake in Bink's sake as the sake in "Oh, for gently caress's sake" and not the actual Japanese liquor.

My secret OP opinion is that I pronounce the “sake” in Binks’ Sake as “brew”.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
Robin's always been kinda strange because she's rarely in fights. She doesn't get beat up like Nami or Ussop does so she seems less durable, but her devil fruit let her do things like just snap people's necks from a distance. Kind of a strange ability to write fights over that seems more suited for a villain where the goal is trying to get close enough to hit her. Then after the time skip she can make massive limbs like Luffy can, and also.....Teleport kinda?

She's in the forgotten trio with Brooke and Franky who occasionally get some fights that usually happen mostly off-camera. You could say it was because they all joined the crew too late but it's been 12 years since Brooke joined the crew and has been highlighted a lot less than the first six got in their first 12 years.

RealFoxy fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Aug 13, 2020

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

I wish Franky got more fights. He's essentially gotten two despite being introduced well over a decade ago. I'm dubious on counting him and Luffy since it stopped as soon as it began, or on Fish-Man Island because it was so one-sided it was barely even a fight. I feel weird counting any of those fights with the Straw Hats as true fights except Luffy vs. Hordy because for everyone else they just danced around their opponents and took them out without breaking a sweat.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

RealFoxy posted:

Robin's always been kinda strange because she's rarely in fights. She doesn't get beat up like Nami or Ussop does so she seems less durable, but her devil fruit let her do things like just snap people's necks from a distance. Kind of a strange ability to write fights over that seems more suited for a villain where the goal is trying to get close enough to hit her. Then after the time skip she can make massive limbs like Luffy can, and also.....Teleport kinda?

She's in the forgotten trio with Brooke and Franky who occasionally get some fights that usually happen mostly off-camera. You could say it was because they all joined the crew too late but it's been 12 years since Brooke joined the crew and has been highlighted a lot less than the first six got in their first 12 years.

I feel like Brook at least gets good moments. Like this one

Andrast fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Aug 13, 2020

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Andrast posted:

That whole heist involving Brooke was one of the best Straw Hat moments of all time.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

RealFoxy posted:

That whole heist involving Brooke was one of the best Straw Hat moments of all time.
And then he later broke Mother Carmel's picture amidst the chaos of the wedding. Brook was the lowkey MVP that arc.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Jinbei, Pedro (rest in peace my angel), and Brooke were great in that arc.

Franky was great in Dressarosa.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Brook sidling in wearing a Luffy mask is still one of the funniest goddamn things in this manga

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Andrast posted:

Jesus, I forget how loving amazing Brook is here. That shot of Big Mom and Prometheus/Zeus looming over with the fire in the foreground legit gives me chills, and Brook’s just standing there like a boss against her when he knows he’s probably not even a speed bump.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
Brook calling Big Mom "young lady" is one of my favourite low key Strawhat moments. Oda's done such a great job with all the Yonkou so far, Shank's crew is really gonna have to step up when we see them again to keep the hype train rolling.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

TheLoneStar posted:

I wish Franky got more fights. He's essentially gotten two despite being introduced well over a decade ago. I'm dubious on counting him and Luffy since it stopped as soon as it began, or on Fish-Man Island because it was so one-sided it was barely even a fight. I feel weird counting any of those fights with the Straw Hats as true fights except Luffy vs. Hordy because for everyone else they just danced around their opponents and took them out without breaking a sweat.

To be fair his fight against Senor Pink is one of the coolest fights in the series.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Electric Phantasm posted:

To be fair his fight against Senor Pink is one of the coolest manliest fights in the series.

ftfy

A Bug
Nov 26, 2008

MOM GET THE CAMERA!
:potg:

RealFoxy posted:

I know that Kyros had more narrative stake in it, but I wish that Robin was the one to fight Diamante. I think it would've been interesting to have her go against someone she couldn't just snap.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

A Bug posted:

I know that Kyros had more narrative stake in it, but I wish that Robin was the one to fight Diamante. I think it would've been interesting to have her go against someone she couldn't just snap.

:same:

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Let's derail the dressrosa bad derail to talk about how Zorak would probe people for saying Haki was anything other than "untranslated willpower" and nothing like Ki from Dragonball.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

socialsecurity posted:

Let's derail the dressrosa bad derail to talk about how Zorak would probe people for saying Haki was anything other than "untranslated willpower" and nothing like Ki from Dragonball.

Tbh haki feels more like a simplified version of nen than ki from Dragonball. But lol if that really happened, goddamn Zorak, I remember him not having any chill sometimes but still

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Zorak was right

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Even in my least favourite One Piece arcs, there's still incredible moments, characters and jokes that even the worst arc for me is still really good. It's just most of the other arcs are just absolutely incredible, that being only really good is a step down.

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.
As someone who got introduced to the Anime by an old roommate, binge watched up to current (at the time) and then watched the weekly releases for a few years, making the transition to the Manga has been wild! I'm considering going all the way back to the beginning to re-experience it. :)

Minion of Freya
Jan 2, 2017
One Piece has one of the biggest gulfs of quality between anime of manga. The manga is max effort art all the time, and the jokes mostly land. I went the opposite way, started with the manga and then tried watching the anime, and I didn't make it far into Baroque Works before giving up.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

XkyRauh posted:

As someone who got introduced to the Anime by an old roommate, binge watched up to current (at the time) and then watched the weekly releases for a few years, making the transition to the Manga has been wild! I'm considering going all the way back to the beginning to re-experience it. :)

Oh man how far did you get before you made the switch?

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

My favorite recent-ish bit is Robin, Franky, and Brook declaring that as the Adult Trio, they will stand guard for the night and the next panel is them passed out asleep.

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

Rohan Kishibe posted:

Brook calling Big Mom "young lady" is one of my favourite low key Strawhat moments. Oda's done such a great job with all the Yonkou so far, Shank's crew is really gonna have to step up when we see them again to keep the hype train rolling.

Its ok Shanks and his crew will all be loving dead and nailed to Blackbeard's ship when we see them next

Undocumented Gamer
Jan 9, 2019

Minion of Freya posted:

One Piece has one of the biggest gulfs of quality between anime of manga. The manga is max effort art all the time, and the jokes mostly land. I went the opposite way, started with the manga and then tried watching the anime, and I didn't make it far into Baroque Works before giving up.

Try watching One Pace instead, as it cuts out a lot of filler and sticks to the original manga much more closely. That and it will save ~hundreds~ of hours from the watch time.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Undocumented Gamer posted:

Try watching One Pace instead, as it cuts out a lot of filler and sticks to the original manga much more closely. That and it will save ~hundreds~ of hours from the watch time.

Out of curiosity, is One Pace still going? If so, how far along are they currently?

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

My brother watched up to WCI and actually enjoyed it. The pacing's bad, but I think manga readers see it amplified where we know exactly what will happen after the drawn out scenes of the enemies laughing. Even Jojo part 5 (not to imply it's bad at all) felt slow to me compared to Part 4 where I read it beforehand.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

Andrast posted:

that top left panel is so sublime. it uses every aspect of the comic format to make a great scene

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

socialsecurity posted:

hello its me.

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.

Dr Subterfuge posted:

Oh man how far did you get before you made the switch?
Got to the start of Zoa, believe it or not! Dressrosa was agonizing to watch week after week, because it felt like practically nothing happened, and the Birdcage seemed waaaaaay too strong (neutralizing all of the Straw Hats while still giving Doffy enough power to give Luffy a run for his money--yikes) and it took forever.

Larryb posted:

Out of curiosity, is One Pace still going? If so, how far along are they currently?
Last I checked, they're in Wano, a few episodes behind current. It's definitely still going, and it's actually what I used to get from Zoa through Whole Cake and up to Wano before getting completely caught up (with the anime) and switching to the manga.

Sounds like I'm gonna want to go all the way back and soak it in. :D

Minion of Freya
Jan 2, 2017
I seem to recall someone using that :krad: panel to make a Witcher 3 loading screen

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon

XkyRauh posted:

Sounds like I'm gonna want to go all the way back and soak it in. :D

Actually your other idea to just read the manga from the start is way way way better than watching one pace from the start and you should do that instead. You'll save hundreds of hours!

Edit vv same vv

Man with Hat fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Aug 13, 2020

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

I've read the entire manga at least 5 times, which is about as much time as watching half the anime at double speed!

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

I've been going through post-timeskip One Pace since someone linked it a while back. I enjoy hearing the characters and seeing everything in color. But interesting animation is actually pretty rare... I wonder if someone's just put the anime voices over the colorized manga.

That said, I'm enjoying spending more time with it. When I reread the manga I do it really quickly, but the anime forces you to dwell on things as they happen more. Sometimes that's good, there have been emotional speeches that have a lot more impact in the anime, hearing it all said slowly. Sometimes it's real bad, as in... every bit of dialog in Fishman Island outside of the flashback.

Punk Hazzard and early Dressrossa are great though.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

TheLoneStar posted:

Nero, Fukurou, Baby 5 /Buffalo and Senor Pink. They're all great fights and then he has all his other cool moments outside his fights, so he's not exactly starved of the spotlight. I wish Chopper or Nico Robin had as much time on screen as he gets

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011

Funky Valentine posted:

My favorite recent-ish bit is Robin, Franky, and Brook declaring that as the Adult Trio, they will stand guard for the night and the next panel is them passed out asleep.

The best part about One Piece is that no character is exempt from gags or being treated in a silly way. Every single character is bizarre in some capacity and the series is so much better for it.