Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Finished the Bill Cooper episodes, and the talk about how good the cover of Behold a Pale Horse is reminded me of how I once taught a class on conspiracy theories, and I went over Cooper briefly. At the end of the semester a student told me that she looked up Behold a Pale Horse after I mentioned it, liked the cover, bought it, and had started reading it. Not one of the better ends of the semester, though hopefully the class had sunk in enough that she didn't take it as the truth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
I listened to Evans guesting on Michael Moore's podcast this afternoon. Lot of people in that episode's comments section arguing that Bellingcat is a CIA front.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
If Robert is a fed stooge then maybe there’s hope for me after all.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

I’ve seen that theory in CSPAM too, it’s kinda weird but having both one of the breeding grounds for the alt right movement and a CIA front originate on SA would be pretty hilarious

who knows, maybe Lowtax’s next strategy for blaming other people for his lovely actions will be to claim that his exes are Russian agents

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

DC Murderverse posted:

I’ve seen that theory in CSPAM too, it’s kinda weird but having both one of the breeding grounds for the alt right movement and a CIA front originate on SA would be pretty hilarious

who knows, maybe Lowtax’s next strategy for blaming other people for his lovely actions will be to claim that his exes are Russian agents

its because robert hates assad for being a monster and various parts of cspam/left dont.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Wanderer posted:

I listened to Evans guesting on Michael Moore's podcast this afternoon. Lot of people in that episode's comments section arguing that Bellingcat is a CIA front.

Bellingcat (and Brown Moses in particular) do a lot of Ukraine and Syria investigations that ruffle the "principled anti-imperialists" like Max Blumenthal, John Dolan and others in that section of the lefty Internet

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country
Am I nuts, or did Robert kinda blame the Columbine massacre on the campus police not stopping Harris and Klebold?

And then criticizes the presence of police on school campuses?

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

BigDave posted:

Am I nuts, or did Robert kinda blame the Columbine massacre on the campus police not stopping Harris and Klebold?

The regular police. They had been alerted to Harris and jlebold by a number of smaller cases and they kept ignoring it, until columbine.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

rotinaj posted:

The regular police. They had been alerted to Harris and jlebold by a number of smaller cases and they kept ignoring it, until columbine.

Yeah, sounds like a bunch of other killers. A not insignificant number of serial killers could have been stopped by the police much sooner than they were, but the cops said "eh," and let them roam free a bit longer

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

its because robert hates assad for being a monster and various parts of cspam/left dont.

It's more like he's very pro-intervention when it has a long history of making things worse.

BTB is a pretty good podcast, but Robert has major blinders when it comes to Foreign Policy due to his background. Comes with listening to anyone really: you gotta know their biases and sutff

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

BigDave posted:

Even if this were accurate, I think that's a coherent complaint. Why have campus police if they go hide when there are actual dangerous situations where trained people could make a difference by intervening?

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

BigDave posted:

My bad, I got to this part of the episode. He’s more saying that the cops on campus do no good, so why increase the amount of them?

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

MonsieurChoc posted:

It's more like he's very pro-intervention when it has a long history of making things worse.

BTB is a pretty good podcast, but Robert has major blinders when it comes to Foreign Policy due to his background. Comes with listening to anyone really: you gotta know their biases and sutff

i really don't know how you could interpret robert as being "very pro-intervention". really hating assad and really believing that obama hosed up handling syria doesn't necessitate believing the us should invade and regime change. you can't be pro rojava and in favor of that, imho, since rojava would definitely disappear in any major intervention.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

BigDave posted:

he was talking about the regular cops. Harris and klebold both had records and also once the shooting started the cops were on scene and basically sat outside the library. the school officer actually tried to do his job but got chased off by gun fire i believe.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Mr. Fix It posted:

i really don't know how you could interpret robert as being "very pro-intervention". really hating assad and really believing that obama hosed up handling syria doesn't necessitate believing the us should invade and regime change. you can't be pro rojava and in favor of that, imho, since rojava would definitely disappear in any major intervention.

There at least one time he goes on a huge rant about people who thought they shouldn't have intervened, as well as comment he made about Venezuela and stuff. It's a thing. :shrug:

GunFondler42069
Jan 28, 2020

Dapper_Swindler posted:

he was talking about the regular cops. Harris and klebold both had records and also once the shooting started the cops were on scene and basically sat outside the library. the school officer actually tried to do his job but got chased off by gun fire i believe.

i was making the point that the presence of SROs in schools is often justified by arguing that they will prevent mass shootings. the fact that there were armed officers in columbine who failed to prevent the violence is relevant because, in general, cops are pretty useless at stopping mass shootings

i've spent enough time arguing with terminally online leftists about intervention, from Milosevic stans who will tell me that srebrinica never happened to folks who insist that assad never deployed chemical weapons

it's cool if you don't think intervention is ever justified, i disagree with you in specific instances but it's a stance someone can make an evidence-based argument to support. when people straight-up deny acts of genocide and war crimes because they were committed to someone opposed to the U.S., i think those people are pieces of poo poo. i'm through arguing with them. if you think assad's chemical weapon attacks were faked or Ukraine shot down MH17 or whatever, you can suck my dick.

edit: also the "you can suck my dick" was not directed at anyone in this thread, necessarily, but was more aimed at the set on twitter who spend hours finding reasons to argue that shellshocked syrian children are really crisis actors or what-the-gently caress-ever

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

GunFondler42069 posted:

i was making the point that the presence of SROs in schools is often justified by arguing that they will prevent mass shootings. the fact that there were armed officers in columbine who failed to prevent the violence is relevant because, in general, cops are pretty useless at stopping mass shootings

i've spent enough time arguing with terminally online leftists about intervention, from Milosevic stans who will tell me that srebrinica never happened to folks who insist that assad never deployed chemical weapons

it's cool if you don't think intervention is ever justified, i disagree with you in specific instances but it's a stance someone can make an evidence-based argument to support. when people straight-up deny acts of genocide and war crimes because they were committed to someone opposed to the U.S., i think those people are pieces of poo poo. i'm through arguing with them. if you think assad's chemical weapon attacks were faked or Ukraine shot down MH17 or whatever, you can suck my dick.

edit: also the "you can suck my dick" was not directed at anyone in this thread, necessarily, but was more aimed at the set on twitter who spend hours finding reasons to argue that shellshocked syrian children are really crisis actors or what-the-gently caress-ever

makes sense. i watched an amature but very good documentary about stoneman Douglass and they went a bit into how the deputy didnt do his job but its also clear that neither did the sheriffs department when they arrived either. i think there is like 2 occasions where cops have stopped a mass shooting in progress and they were both off duty and it was right as the shooter walked in or started shooting. but yeah, some cops standing around schools wont stop shootings.

also yeah same on the intervention stuff.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Jul 29, 2020

GunFondler42069
Jan 28, 2020

yeah I'm definitely not arguing "cops should do a better job of protecting schools" and more saying "cops are virtually incapable of protecting people and maybe we shouldn't have them"

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

GunFondler42069 posted:

yeah I'm definitely not arguing "cops should do a better job of protecting schools" and more saying "cops are virtually incapable of protecting people and maybe we shouldn't have them"

good point. wasnt trying to start anything. anyway i was thinking of school murder monsters and i think you should cover andrew Kehoe someday. dudes the ultimate NIMBY nutjob, blew up a school and than sucide bombed the survivors because he was pissed that his tax money went toward the school.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B085CHTTJ6

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrew_Kehoe

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Jul 29, 2020

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

I haven't yet listened to the latest episode, but oooh boy did Robert choose a doozy of a bastard. I did notice something missing from the footnotes. If anyone is interested in reading a whole lot more, have a look at the reports from the truth and reconcilliation commission. http://nctr.ca/reports.php

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
The episode is absolutely worth a depressing as all get out listen to! The bit about the nutritional studies reminds me of the history behind Lördagsgodis/Saturday Candy in Sweden.

So in short, Swedish teeth were getting totally hosed up, and the (then) National Swedish Board of Health conducted a study to see if eating sweets and carbs and cavities were related. Spoiler alert! They absolutely are.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vipeholm_experiments?wprov=sfti1 posted:

What began in 1945 as government-sanctioned vitamin trials were converted in 1947 without the knowledge of the government. The researchers decided, in consultation with the Medical Board, to start to use sugar instead, to encourage tooth decay by using an extremely sweet and sticky diet.

From 1947-1949, a group of mental patients were used as subjects in a full-scale experiment designed to bring about tooth decay. They were fed copious amounts of sweets, some which was not available commercially but specially formulated toffee to make it stick better to teeth, which resulted in many of them having their teeth completely ruined. Nonetheless, the researchers felt that, scientifically speaking, the experiment was a huge success.

The sugar experiment lasted for two years. In 1949, the trials were revised again, now to test a more "normal" carbohydrate-rich diet. By then, the teeth of about fifty of the 660 subjects in the experiment had been completely ruined.

One of the practical results of the study was the recommendation that it was better for children's teeth to eat sweets once per week, compared to a smaller total amount spread out over most of the week. This practice established itself in Swedish society, and still today many parents only allow their children sweets, or lördagsgodis, on a Saturday.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Or like the Quaker Oats radiation study. Basically Quaker Oats funded an MIT study on how the body absorbs radiation, which it did by creating a bogus "science club" at a school for mentally handicapped boys and secretly feeding them oatmeal that had been laced with radioactive materials. The crazy thing is that Quaker Oats did this to get good promotion at a time when they were competing against Cream of Wheat, and this is part of the reason why Quakers Oats became so dominant and Cream of Wheat faded.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

teen witch posted:

The episode is absolutely worth a depressing as all get out listen to! The bit about the nutritional studies reminds me of the history behind Lördagsgodis/Saturday Candy in Sweden.

So in short, Swedish teeth were getting totally hosed up, and the (then) National Swedish Board of Health conducted a study to see if eating sweets and carbs and cavities were related. Spoiler alert! They absolutely are.

I intend to finish listening, I just chimed in prematurely. I've listened to a bit of it so far, and Robert absolutely nails the summary of what Canada is, and how we've gone about developing our modern aparthied state via slow, quiet genocide. I feel a large amount of shame at what my people have done, and an equal amount of rage for the large contingent of Canadians who shrug this off with the "what's the Indians' problem?" attitude. It's a tough listen, but I'm greatful this story is being told to a wider audience.

You would probably find agreement with the summary in the D&D Canpol thread.

Eta: got 20min left, and lol, are people in other countries getting ads? Because, ain't nobody buying ads in the version I got from google in Canada.

B33rChiller fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Aug 14, 2020

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Chairman Capone posted:

Or like the Quaker Oats radiation study. Basically Quaker Oats funded an MIT study on how the body absorbs radiation, which it did by creating a bogus "science club" at a school for mentally handicapped boys and secretly feeding them oatmeal that had been laced with radioactive materials. The crazy thing is that Quaker Oats did this to get good promotion at a time when they were competing against Cream of Wheat, and this is part of the reason why Quakers Oats became so dominant and Cream of Wheat faded.

So they ran a radiation experiment...to advertise oats? :psyduck:

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

teen witch posted:

I skimmed the first part then got excited that there was a BtB about Swedish candy

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
Don't milkshake duck Swedish Fish please.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I think all the racist Swedish candy has been discontinued, you might be safe

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

B33rChiller posted:

Eta: got 20min left, and lol, are people in other countries getting ads? Because, ain't nobody buying ads in the version I got from google in Canada.

I'm in Japan and I exclusively get ads for I Heart Radio shows, including, not infrequently, Behind the Bastards.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Snowy posted:

I think all the racist Swedish candy has been discontinued, you might be safe

While I can’t think of any candy offhand, there are definitely racist foodstuff in Sweden.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Rochallor posted:

I'm in Japan and I exclusively get ads for I Heart Radio shows, including, not infrequently, Behind the Bastards.

ditto and ditto

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

The first ad for me is almost always Robert trying to sell me ExpressVPN.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Rochallor posted:

For a while I thought it was a long con joke that the ad breaks for products and services contained no ads for products or services, just other podcasts.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Testekill posted:

The first ad for me is almost always Robert trying to sell me ExpressVPN.

I get the ad where Robert is pitching a service that allows you to text your therapist as many times as you want, which seems like a really bad deal for the therapists, and maybe not the most healthy thing

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

I usually get ads. Other podcasts, robert recorded selling home security systems, and therapy, etc. It's just the episode on residential schools had the ad break music, followed immediately by the return from ads music.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

B33rChiller posted:

I usually get ads. Other podcasts, robert recorded selling home security systems, and therapy, etc. It's just the episode on residential schools had the ad break music, followed immediately by the return from ads music.

Oh I had six months of some ads just not playing which was a blessing, but then I’d also have moments in the latter third of an episode where it plays, skips back 20 or so seconds and then continues to play regularly

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

You don't know true suffering until you've gotten the "he never passes the rock" Geico ad twice in a row during the same break.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

I'm sure Dani Shapiro is a lovely person but my God, did I get sick of hearing her voice from the Family Secrets ad. Glad that seems to have subsided.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Generic American posted:

You don't know true suffering until you've gotten the "he never passes the rock" Geico ad twice in a row during the same break.

God I hated that one.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Look at all these weirdos who listen to ads

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

If it's listen to an ad or try to get the phone out of my pocket, turned on, and hit the skip button while driving, I'll listen to the ad. Even a Geico one.